Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.21.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Welcome to the first day of Winter, and the start of days getting longer again.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Tramps (EZ morning 5 miles)
    C-R ( 20 min morning butt-kicking spin workout + 6.7 miles with the club in under 1 hr)
    RunnerKSA (3.1 morning miles on the wheel + 2.1 mid-day rainy miles with DH)
    Jlynne (6 dry-street miles in 19° temps + 30 min of weights & core)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH + 20 min X-bike with pulled ligaments)
    Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)
    Dave59 (4 morning miles in the park in 42° temps)
    Surly Bill (5 EZ miles)
    Wildchjild (10 trail miles with a friend in 50° sunny weather)
    Mike (10 miles, including 8 at tempo pace on unplowed surfaces)
    Deeze (1.2 pre-work morning miles)

Tammy, congrats to you and David on his college options. He has worked hard and has earned those acceptances.

Big congrats on the 900-day streak, KSA! That’s a huge testament to your determination.

Probably my favorite finisher’s medal is the one from the Millinocket Half a couple of weeks ago. I had to buy it, which I gladly did ‘cause we were there to support the local economy. It’s a two-sided, heat-stamped disc of wood hung from a thin strip of leather. It’s clearly handmade by someone in Millinocket, and that is it’s charm. Other than that, the bigger the medals, the less I like them.

Having options with race registrations for whether or not to get a shirt, a medal, etc. is a nice idea from a racer’s perspective, but is an organizational/logistical nightmare for the organizers. We talked about doing that with our half marathon medals, then went through the logistics of trying to hand them out to the right people as they come across the finish line, and quickly dismissed the idea.

Go read Mike's letter.

We have our company Christmas party this afternoon, which should be relaxed and fun. We're leaving early tomorrow on our NY Christmas journey, trying to stay ahead of the snow/ice storm heading to New England, but I still have a lot to do to get ready for that trip. Meanwhile, I slept in this morning 'cause I needed it. I think I've overextended myself these past few weeks, and I'm really, really looking forward to some down time (even though I'm already focused on projects for next year, and will probably get a jump on them when I can while we're gone).

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Safe travels, Jay.

Congrats, KSA.  That's a lot of running.

No run for me today but...

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks, all.  Sometimes I think streaking is really stupid, but it seems to keep me going, so there's that......

Love the picture and message, Tramps.

Got a very late start this morning and have to go put out fires at work, but got 3.3. miles in. Gloomy but not raining!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Morning folks. Have fun at your assorted Christmas parties today everyone. Thanks for the great Solstice picture Tramps.

Congrats on the nice streak RunnerKSA. Let me add to Tet's comment about 7 hour marathoners. Even though they may be way beyond Boston qualifying time, I think it's great that they take on the challenge - and have just as much right to be out there as someone running in 3 hours or less. No need for anyone to stress or worry about them. Celebrate their desire to be a part of the crazy world of runners. My sister - at age 70 - used to think that running a 12 minute mile was a huge accomplishment and I'd tease her because she was so slow. She passed away 3 years ago.  I wish I could run a 12 minute mile with her now.

6 miles for me this morning, 19° and no wind, enjoying what will probably be the last day of clear streets for quite a while.  And the snow just started falling...

Have a great day everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Have fun at your assorted Christmas parties today everyone.

Hey, wait - I don't have a Christmas party today.  Can I crash one of yours?  

No run for me today, no workout, nada.  I had to be at the office at 7:30 am for a talk given to the firm by my boss, and that didn't really leave me enough time to get a run in, unless I gave up my morning coffee time, and that ain't happening...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

. . . unless I gave up my morning coffee time, and that ain't happening...

I finally found a small thermos stuffed in the back of our cabinet that keeps coffee hot.  Because of that, I don't need a free hand to carry a coffee mug, so it's 2 crutches for me, which makes moving quite a bit faster.

Medals for Running - Like Carolyn said, you don't usually get medals when you run a trail race.  Except our local Grasshopper Peak 10 mile and 30k.  The race directors make the medals out of discs of redwood and burn the race logo into them.  I love 'em.  Lately, races been hooked on giving out pint glasses with the name of the race on it, but how many pint glasses can a person have, realistically?  I like race t-shirts and will always pay the extra price to get one.

It's been the Week of Gluttony at work.  Ugh!

Last evening did about 30 min of core/ST, which meant a lot of crawling around on the floor.  Also managed to stay on my stationary bike for 5 min without too much butt issue, so that's a positive!

That's about.  Motivation to accomplish anything is low.  Maybe it's all the food I've been eating at work . . .

Enjoy ~~

PS - A coworker just came in and asked if I could go by the local grocery store on the way home to purchase a gift card for another coworker we all chipped in for.  Um . . . I'm on crutches?!?!  *sigh*

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Got in 3.25 this morning.

Almost done fixing what I broke yesterday.  Then I hope to coast to the weekend.

evanflein

Woohoo! It's Solstice Day! I don't think you'll find many more excited about this day going by than someone in Interior Alaska! Tomorrow will be about the same length of daylight, but then we start slowly climbing out of our dark time! Woot!

No Christmas parties here, either. My boss took us to lunch at a Thai place last week.

Streaks are great if they motivate you and don't take over your life. I don't think I'd do well with the idea, I'm a little too driven by OCD. Hard enough to take a day off that I don't want to take when I'm trying to hit a mileage goal.

Ran 4.1 on the treadmill last night, probably about 4.1 more than I should have. Just felt wobbly and uncoordinated at first, got a little better about halfway thru. Some TM runs are like that. Shin was ok at first but a little sore at the end. It's weird, it seemed to get worse when I took a day off.

A little colder today but that's fine. I think it's stopped snowing for the time being. I hope a plow or two gets out there cuz I do want to run outside today.

Hello Masters.  Once again, pardon the random pop in.  Been busy planning a bathroom remodel and getting ready for Christmas and a 3 week work/play RV trip beginning the day after Christmas.  Running has also been sporadic.  I've been getting dry needling in my PF inflamed heel once a week.  The doc likes me to take 2 days off afterwards, though it seems like 3 has been needed.  However, we are making decent progress.  I did get 3 miles on the TM this morning before my doc visit.  Couple that with general winter laziness, and I'm getting out twice a week...at best.  Perhaps I'll join the New Year's resolutionists and become a runner again!

Tammy - congrats to your DS and his achievements.  $64K???  Do they give you your own house for room and board?  Great that he got so much financial aide to bring it down to state school range (for our state anyway).  Good luck to him.

Jlynne - I work from home, so one of the downsides is little social interaction...unless you count me talking to the 4 dogs.  And they can't throw a Christmas party, so I'm out of luck.

fatozzig - sorry about the injury.  I used a walking boot when I ended up with a 400 lb motorcycle dropping on my ankle at 30 mph.  Much better than crutches and the doc told me it would speed healing.  But I'm sure each case is different.  Get well!

Evanflein - I remember those days.  I'd always look at the weather page sunrise/set stats to see how much time we gained each day.  Precious few seconds at first, but by Feb we were gaining big chunks of time.  Miss that place.

Falcon, Bioguy, Quickadder, SurlyBill and other RW refugees - Merry Christmas to you all!  Metalman  - Happy Hanukkah to you.

RA Old Heads - thank you all for welcoming the RW refugees with open arms this year.  Much appreciated!  Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you all!

Time to change the oil in my truck. Always fun.

TammyinGP

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for the praises on my son. We are indeed proud of him and I know many of you have "known" him since he was but a wee elementary kid so have in some ways seen him grow up. 

Opus - you'd think that price tag would come with your own private condo right? nah, standard double occupancy dorm room. IF he had a waiver to not live on campus his first year (probably only applicable to kids of WmU staff/professors), then his 1st yr tuition would only be 7800, which is amazing for that school!  

David and I talked some more last night about what he wants to do and he's pretty positive he wants OSU. That's where he feels he belongs and where he'll get the business education he striving for. 

Will run after work tonight and savor that Winter Solstice darkness 

Here's a brief description of Saturday's run from our group leader: The plan is a 15.5 mile route up to Baldy Peak (4500 ft elevation) then we'll cross down to Little Grayback and head up to the fire lookout at the top of Squaw Peak at 5000 ft elevation before turning around and running 7.5 miles straight down the way we came. Strava says 4000+ feet of climbing. 

Oh, what fun we'll have!!

Tammy

Just popping in for now. May come back later as I am a bachelor for the evening. DW and her sister are going to a Christmas fair together this evening in NYC to buy who knows what. In the meantime I put in 14 miles under bright clear skies. Cold, but better than colder and windy! When is summer?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

''

I finally found a small thermos stuffed in the back of our cabinet that keeps coffee hot.  Because of that, I don't need a free hand to carry a coffee mug, so it's 2 crutches for me, which makes moving quite a bit faster.''

[[[[[[[fatozzig]]]]]]].............Be a Brave Little Soldier,

Spring is only,,,,,,,,,,er,,,,,,,,,,I'm going with 128-days away.......

==============

60-min x-bike

gonna attempt to add 20-min more after I rest the Legs

.................good Work-Outs to Ya.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

''gonna attempt to add 20-min more after I rest the Legs''

eta-

......Remind me to get a PAD for that x-bike seat.........

'Nuff said

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I still think 7 hours is not running a marathon.  It's 16 minute pace and it puts too much stress on the volunteer community and traffic.  I have NO problem with slower runners (I guess I'm one now), but I believe people should be trained and prepared enough to run 6 hours or better.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

eta-

......Remind me to get a PAD for that x-bike seat.........

Is there such a thing as extra padding for a bike seat?? I need to go look this up.  Twould help the bike vs. butt issue tremendously.

I'm leaving tomorrow around noon to drive to Sacrament to spend Christmas with my family (6-7 hr drive).  I haven't seen any of them since last Christmas, which is ridiculous.  Anyway, my niece and her husband have a golf cart.  Hopefully there's a nice, airy ride in my future. 

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance