Masters Running

Wednesday, 9.28.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the reminder of what we may have forgotten that we already knew, TW. Good job on the City Park hills.

Sorry about the achy (and wet) foot, Stumpy. Heal well and quickly.

I'm sorry about Max's passing, Holly. Nice run yesterday in 'cold' 50F temps.

Aamos, most of us wouldn't call temps just below 80 'cool.' Nice 6 for you. I hope your meeting went well, and that you got some cheese with dinner. C'mon up for the Seacoast Half anytime.

Good for you for making the appointment, TSelbes. The 'Paint & Pour' looks like it was fun, but I likely would have been doing more pouring that painting.

I hope you had a good run to the Farmer's Market, Starr. Good for you for looking in on DD, and I also hope Mr. Starr starts going to the Y. I'm sorry he is not having a good time these days.

Good workout in prep for your wet Tough Mudder, Jlynne. It sounds like that was a good Bourdain show that you caught.

Nice base-building run, Enke. Was it the snake or the involuntary girlish noise that slithered away?

Good un-pun run done poem, LaT. And nice 10-miler too.

Lotta broken vows there, Tet, but it sounds like a good time (as best as I can tell) anyway, except for that hook thingy...

Good 7 at tempo pace in sunny (like your disposition) weather, Mariposai.

A finance conference and bourbon tasting sounds like an interesting combo, Twocat.

Good 6er surrounded by Fall colors, WC. (We're still waiting for our colors to show, but they are starting up).

7.5 semi-nekkid RW miles at J o'clock this morning. (Semi-nekkid 'cause I had my Garmin on, but never looked at it till I got back and logged in my workout.) 58F temps, no stars, and a blowing breeze from the NE. I kept my pace reasonably consistent, ranging from 11:38 down to 11:25. Good workout. Now I'm going out to BWB (breakfast with the boss) before heading to the office.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Happy Hump Day!

Hi Jay!  Thanks for the recap and for all you do to be the glue keeping us stuck together.

TwoCat? Are you sure you need to be WEST of the Mississippi?  Because Richmond is EAST of the Mississippi  but is on The James and is the friendliest marathon.  12 November, 2016.

tselbs, glad you have the appointment. Dr. Robin probably agrees. Smile

And I love the paint and pour party!

Aamos and Holly, isn't our friend, JJ Chaney, the race director of the Canton Hall of Fame marathon? I grew up a bit north of Canton and south of Akron. Just a bit north of Flying Finn's farm.

Health update for yours truly:   I finished the 28 days of doxycycline last week for the suspected disseminated Lyme disease. Blood tests could not rule it out completely or confirm it exactly. So symptoms dictated the antibiotic treatment. My rheumatologist appointment is next Tuesday (I made the appointment in July).  The arthritis symptoms can remain for months or years. But I am happy that the extreme fatigue, anxiety and depression are fading into the past. I hope. I have seen my PCP, orthopedic doctors (2), and an  ENT. But. The best healthcare professional helping me through this maze?  My psychologist! She has been so helpful. I flew all the way to Maui and did not take any Rx. She is helping me sort through things and to practice mindfulness.

The Big News? Ralph and I flew to Maui and he ran the Maui Marathon on 18 September. His PW marathon. It was hot. Very hot. Hilly and humid. But. he is happy to have earned his 49th state. Alaska remains. We hope to get that one next August.

THE  other BIG NEWS is that I started running (with walking breaks) on Monday. Ralph and I met Marty and Tricia at 0530 and we ran and walked. I did not want the group to hang back with me but, they said they wanted to catch up. I hadn't seen them all summer.

So. 8-9 weeks post arthroscopic hip surgery... I ran/walked 3 miles on Monday and I repeated the same activity this morning.

Oh happy day.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

YAY RCG!!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

(((Holly)))

I seem to have a missing mojo. I can't understand why. LOL. I did run 5 miles yesterday and have started incorporating some upper body workouts. Apparently I have zero upper body strength. I shall run again tomorrow. No races on the agenda for awhile so I  am going to ease back the mileage and try to maintain a nice solid base.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

RCG - glad you are on the mend!

TomS - love the pictures, and yes, go check your spot.

BerthaSlayer - easy does it.

No run for me today, swimming again, 32 lengths (16 laps) resting at the end of the pool each time.

Super busy at work, given the last week of the month, so off I go...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Alaska remains. We hope to get that one next August.

Glad you're up and postable again, and already eyeing next summer in the 49th state..

However, if you're only going to do one marathon in The Great Land, I'd recommend it highly if the August one is the one in my hometown named after my friend I used to run it with by glaciers, eagles, marmots and sometimes bear, deer, whales, etc. along the way, for sure.

however, there's this other one up in erika-land started by some x-c ski buddies in those days that's been running for more than 50 years. Without question, along with Mt. Fuji, Equinox is at the top of all 200+ I've run in the past 40 years. Besides, they have a walker division for ten hours and more. hmmmmm.  ,

35o and more fresh snow creeping down the alpines this morning

but all I can do today is look and dream, . . . until tomorrow when I hope to be up there too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

good news rosie//........i'm so happy for you, it's a great feeling...........

=============

well,

back on the laptop in Knoxville again,dd2 was so happy about getting thru surgery, she fell down the stairs and broke her leg

I may be typing in straight lines again for a while

on the plus side, Claire loved AdverturerDoggie's b'day pics, they have the same b'day

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

well,

back on the laptop in Knoxville again,dd2 was so happy about getting thru surgery, she fell down the stairs and broke her leg

I'm so sorry about your DD's broken leg! How are your cooking and cleaning skills dad?

I missed Starr's post yesterday. Lon seemed so comfortable with all of us when we met him last May.  The Y would be a great place! You can just go and exercise and people watch, or you can strike up a conversation with the person next to you if you feel like it. I've met some of my closest friends in exercise classes there.

Hey RCG! Glad you're back running again. That's awesome news!

Hope you find your missing mojo BerthaSlayer.

Hi Tet! Keep that snow where you are for a while, okay?

5 miles this morning in the coolest weather I've run in for a while - only 49°. But no wind. And still getting by with just a long-sleeved shirt and capris. I got all of my hair cut off yesterday. DH used to worry about me running in the dark early in the morning. Now, I just look like all of the other guys out there   This is going to take some getting used to....

...not to worry jylnne//.........I brought a pound of baloney

or, as I call it, Southern Comfort Food

,,ps,,,,,,,,I still don't like typing in straight lines

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

RCG,

so glad to see that you are starting to run again. That will help your attitude I'm sure. Lyme disease is kinda weird that way.

5.2 for me tonight 8:30 overall pace the last mile being under 8:00 so a strong 5er for my mid week run.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mike E

MM #5615

Does anybody know why tomwhite's lines are so straight all of a sudden?  It's very irritating...

Glad you're back buehrle!

evanflein

It is good to see RCG post and sounds like improvement. I hope you liked Hawaii, we always love going to Kauai. Take care and let us know how you're doing. So would the Alaska run he's planning on be the Big Wildlife Run marathon? I can't remember the name of it, it used to be Humpy's Marathon and was my first Boston Qualifier. But I agree with Tetsujin, do the Frank Maier in Juneau or the Equinox in Fairbanks, although that one is very challenging.

Tselbs, glad you made the appointment. I've got a few friends who found malignancies early based on someone else noticing something they'd grown to ignore.

Starr, so sorry to hear DH is still having trouble. I agree with Jlynne, he seemed very at ease with all of us in May!

tomwhite, some people just have things come at them in waves! Hope your DD recovers well and good thing you're available!

Aamos, if you want "cool" you can have some of what we're having! We had it all today... snow in big flakes that looked like a blizzard, then sunshine peeking through, then clouds rolled in and it got so dark out, then rain, rain, rain. It let up a bit towards the end of the day so I headed out for my run. Got about 4 miles in when it started up again and I was kind of wet by the time I finished. 5.1 miles total.

I decided to stop trying to kill myself or feeling bad about missing my mileage goal for the year (2,400 miles), so I went into my log and changed it to 2,200. There. I feel so much better now!

TammyinGP

just an easy little run today with the XC team. we have a meet tomorrow, so wednesdays are fairly minimal.

2.5 miles.

Tammy

SteveP

Oh happy day.

Yeah.

TW..Oh My Gosh! Poor DD2.

Evanflein, we're one day closer to spring.

SteveP