Masters Running

President's Day Monday Runs (Read 472 times)

Never started before I'm afraid of someone else beating me to the Post but I'll try anyway. Day off for the Holiday Smile Coffee now , run a little later hoping to push miles back up over 30 this week Will start with 8.5 on a snow covered bike trail @ about 9:20 pace out & 8:30 pace coming back. Time to get serious about Pittsburgh Half training, 10 weeks left. Wow some great runs out there over the weekend, I really feel like a slacker, but at least I'm an inspired slacker Wink Jlynne OUCH! Hope you heal up soon and glad it wasn't any worse. Twocat, I missed reading about your injury, hope it's not to serious.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning, and thanks for getting us started Sarge. {{{Jlynne}}} No run for me today, no x-training, nada. I got up, realized that no one else in the family had to get up today, and went back to bed for an hour. I’ve felt a little run-down the last week and just felt like taking a day completely off. DH and the kids get to stay home today, but it’s just another work day for me. Tongue Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Good Morning Masters! Me too......nothing this morning. I would usually swim but my wife had the day off so I stayed warmly snuggled in bed. I'll do a swim followed by a short run tonight. We had another milestone in our family yesterday. My 16yr old DS drove himself to work.......In my manual transimission pickup no less. A new license holder and an increased insurance payment ! There is a common thread that has been showing up all winter in the weather reports......Unseasonably Cold !!!! My cold weather running gear has earned it's keep this winter.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Rest day for me too. I hope to get out for a walk tonight .... or should I say I hope to get MrHopeful out for a walk tonight. Wink Out for 8 miles yesterday that I never got around to posting. Now I have to go see what happened to JLynne, but it looks like hugs are in order ....{{{JLynne}}}.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Jlynne fell on her at sign, but it wasn't funny at all. Hope your arm gets better soon. Holly - it's good to rest up like that once in a while. SH - yikes! Another 16 year old on the road. That's good though as it frees you up some and maybe he can run some of your errands. Wink 3.1 miles, 29:30, 9:25/mi, AHR 128 (69% mhr) followed up with core work

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Slo

SH - yikes! Another 16 year old on the road. That's good though as it frees you up some and maybe he can run some of your errands. Wink
              I grew up on a farm.......I could legally drive a piece of farm equipment on the road at 13, including the 4 wheel drive pick-up or 1 ton Dually. I had ton's more experience at driving when I got my license. As a parent, I do think 16 is to young. I'm very lucky to have two very responsible teen drivers. In Iowa, your 1st license is probationary. A moving violation can easily set you back to a learners permit. And they both have wittnessed thier friends go from Drivers License to Learners Permit. For once, a law that actually makes sense ! The other side of the coin though......it sure will be nice not having to pick him up from work 5 nights a week.

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, {{{JLynne}}} Rest day for me today....I slept like a baby last night. I spent most of yesterday painting and didn't even finish priming everything...Roll eyes Happy Presidents Day!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Sarge tough running 8+ miles on a snow covered trail! Impressive run. You did not miss my post about my injury if only because It is not clear I am injured. Another doctor visit tomorrow to get more information. SLO_HAND yep it seems like it has been a really cold winter all over the country. My DW commented that this was the first time we have seen the ground since December. Global warming where are you when we need you? Big grin hopeful4ever nice 8 yesterday. Enjoy your non-running day today. WillRunForBeer I grew up in NY and there you could not drive until you hit 17 and then only after a "driver's education" course. At my school the thing was a joke. If your heart kept beating and you were enrolled you were officially "educated" at the end of the quarter. I am not sure what the rule is here in CT but I suspect it is similar. But, I suspect that what the "right" age is to allow people to drive depends on what kind of experience kids get growing up. In rural areas maybe driving around off road provides a better preparatory experience than what they get in urban areas. I wonder if anybody has looked into this? evanflein wow 15 in the snow yesterday. wildchild I am not sure the "not frozen water bottle" test is an accurate indicator of if it is below 32 outside or not during a run! Smile Now if it does freeze . . . brrrrr. Also, congratulations to your DD on her first 4 mile run! I hope she keeps it up. halllar nice double digit run yesterday. Aamos I am with evryday 12 miles is always impressive. Mariposai I love fondue! There is a great place in Berkeley California that I used to go to called Fondue Fred's. The place was soooo cheap! Which for a fondue place is really unusual. Typically, they seem to be really expensive. I hope your fondue party was good in every sense of the word! Today I worked out at the gym and my DW is off for a 4 mile run. It is cold and sunny out. Well not as cold as it has been! Still below freezing. Still, not a bad day for a run. Enjoy President's Day everybody.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 39:33 (9:53 pace, AHR 134) then 5 x 10 sec hill sprints.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Back on the dreadmill where it's safe for klutzes like me. 5 miles, 9:31 pace with some inclined lunges and ab work. Thanks for all the good wishes everyone, my hand is a real pretty combo of yellow/purple this morning - very colorful. Holly - great that you're listening to your body. When you're feeling tired and run down, it's time to rest a little. Peter - love your new picture. Interesting discussions about 16 year olds driving. My DS#2 got his license and the day he passed his test, I let him take my car to the store "for a couple of things." When he got home, we had company parked in the driveway, so instead of parking on the street he decided to try and maneuver around all the cars. He scraped the side of the garage door with my 2 month old car and took the paint off down to the metal. Needless to say, we weren't real happy. He's almost 21 now and we got by with no accidents and only 1 speeding ticket. Good luck Slo Hand! Have a great day, everyone.
                        Morning, all! Sarge - Good kickoff and great run! ((((((JLynne))))) With the colder than average temps, I'm certainly glad that heating fuels do not have a correspondingly high price. I can't seem to stay warm this winter, so I keep poking the temp higher when I'm home. 18 miles on the treadmill yesterday morning. I had some leg aches overnight, but 6 miles on the treadmill felt great this morning. Some core and weight work scheduled for lunch. Happy President's Day everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

WillRunForBeer I grew up in NY and there you could not drive until you hit 17 and then only after a "driver's education" course. At my school the thing was a joke. If your heart kept beating and you were enrolled you were officially "educated" at the end of the quarter. I am not sure what the rule is here in CT but I suspect it is similar. But, I suspect that what the "right" age is to allow people to drive depends on what kind of experience kids get growing up. In rural areas maybe driving around off road provides a better preparatory experience than what they get in urban areas. I wonder if anybody has looked into this?
                          I'm originally from NJ and we too didn't get a learner's permit until 17. I will say our drivers' ed in the high school was hands on and I think pretty good. Speaking of preparatory experience, when I was quite (read "too") young, my dad took me driving in shopping mall parking lots on Sundays (blue laws were still in effect back then). Later, my friends and I used to steal our parents' cars and go joy-riding when 15-16. I think 16 is young, but remembering how I felt at 16 kids at that age need to get around. Of course it does all depend on the kid.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

I've been up since 1:30 a.m., so right now I'm too uncoorinated to run. Hoping to catch a nap with the kids, then if I feel better, perhaps a little 3 miler on the treadmill. My babysitter may only be able to give me 1 day this week so Renee and I will take that time and put in some miles on the sand. The kids want me to put her on the treadmill like Ceasar Milan does to his dogs. We might, depending on how much cabin fever we have with the hubby gone. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

Hope Jlynne's wrist/hand feels better soon. We've all done some version of the "klutz" thing; you're not alone. Wanted to note that there's pretty strong evidence now that the part of the brain responsible for judgment isn't fully matured until about age 25, with obvious implications for teen driving issues. It's also what often makes young soldiers so fearless. Here's one overview: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52687-2005Jan31.html When I look back at the driving I and my friends did in our teens, I'm amazed I'm alive to tell the tale. Hope to get out to run later.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

good morning! I never got around to posting yesterday, but did read the daily. much wonderful amazing stuff. Tramps, wtg!!! This means your calf is ok, yes? Others I remember... Holly, pdr, Aamos, SRL, Erika, evryday. yay. but wait...there's more! Twocat, thanks. Jeanne, ((())). What a reward for getting out there. Roll eyes Busy at work, I'll have to read today tomorrow. (well, later. liked saying today tomorrow. i'm easily amused). Yesterday, I planned 8 miles as the end of my cutback week, but tripped again. I think I'm doing that because my left hamstring doesn't want to flex my knee quite enough, & I hit my toe during the forward swing. Tried to continue but ended up with about 2.3 miles. 9:40 average pace. Finished up with 23 minutes on the bike, 35 on the elliptical, 2 sets of lower body weight machines & side planks. So, an adjusted plan for a little while. This morning I did 10 min. on the precor elliptical at minimum burn, ran 600 meters at a 9:48 pace, 1 hr. on a new octane elliptical, 7.3 miles on the recumbent bike, and upper body stuff... rows, deadlifts, pushups on a bar, a few machines, then stab. ball reverse crunches & russian twists.