Masters Running

Finally Friday, 2/19 Runs, workouts and rests (Read 401 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Rest day for me.   Tone Zone was good last night, of course I could certainly tell that I hadn't been there for 3 or 4 weeks.   If I felt my back getting tired, I just laid off the excercise for a little bit.   It doesn't feel too bad this morning. 

So proud of SteveP for not doing one damn pushup!!  Big grin

Happy Friday - finally!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning everyone,

5.3 miles on t-mill last nite, no run today

Glad to see Holly joined running club w/DH hopefully participating

Tramps same to your DW for going after her goals

If these secret messages keep up I'll be forced to get out my ovaltine decoder ring

38 F w/ some sun yesterday, finally got rid of some snow, 36 predicted today  

Happy Friday!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hi Sarge and  Hopeful!

1x50 pushups.. I just had to try to do 50 in one set and did it (barely)...... hooah!

Mishmash run today. 2 miles with dogs at 10:45 pace then 4.1 miles at 8:30 including:
        3 x 0.3 mi hill repeats at 8:02, 7:32, 7:45 (0.3 mi ez intervals) max HR 172 (but I was really sucking air at the top)
        0.6 mi at 8:06, 0.5 mi at 7:58, 1 mi at 8:44
        A bit of speed felt good. Sucking wind didn't. Knee felt fine running in the 7's.
        Overall 6.1 miles in 56:34 (9:16 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Morning, Mary, Sarge, Perch and the rest of the gang!

Mary - glad your back is OK after theTone Zone workout.  

Sarge - I like your avatar - very cool!

Perch - good job with the pushups!  I'm not doing the progressive pushups, but I started doing non-girlie pushups right before going to bed at night, and I am up to 2 sets of 12. 

Carolyn - so good to see your healing progress - it gives me hope!!  Now that I'm walking pain free, I'm afraid to give running a try - mostly because if I'm pain free during a run, I might be tempted to run my scheduled half marathon next weekend, and that would not be a good idea. 

77 minutes on the elliptical this morning with AHR of 146.  I got the heart rate up into the 160's a couple of times -yeah. 

I was elated to see Evan Lysacek at the top of the podium when I tuned into the Olympic coverage this morning.  Especially after Pluskenko's remark that a competitor without a quad shouldn't get a gold medal.   Can't wait to get to view the actual competition tonight.   Anybody anxious to hear Tiger's monologue today?  I was enjoying the respite from the media coverage - hope this is a quick blip and we get back to "no news is good news".  

Good runs and a great weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Good morning.

Like Sarge, we're finally see some reduction in the snow around here.  We've still got a foot on the roof and about 18 inches in the driveway (groceries will be via sled again this week), but that's progress!

Mary--whenever you report on the Tone Zone, I think "Twilight Zone"

Perch--nice job, especially on those hill repeats. 

EZ 10 @ 8:27 for me today.

Have a great weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning,

2LR for me today of 10 miles in 1:36:34.52 a 9:39 pace. Also did 50 pushup (2x25) and ab work.

Looks like there will be some rain here in SOCAL this weekend, mainly tomorrow. It will not be that cold though, so I should be fine for 5 miles tomorrow and 17 on Sunday.

Have a great day and great runs everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

dg.

Good Morning!

Mary, I'm glad you're being careful.    And smart!   Can I get that at a store some place?   Maybe mail order?   ;-)

Holly good luck!  

I hope your DH joins you at the races.

Well I've now missed 3 of Erika's LR's.   i wonder what else I've missed!     

Tramps that is very cool news about your DW.   Good for her!   I was thinking about it this morning (at 5:10, while I was sticking my hair in a ponytail at the gym.  isn't the mind a funny thing?) & realized that she showed some of the same traits during her sled/shopping expedition. Big grin.  I like her. 

Like Mary said yesterday, where's Jeanne?   & where's Slo_hand?

Aamos, what a great picture of Jana.    ....   I get grumpy too with ongoing slickeryness.   And the other trappings too... I'm even tired of carrying shoes to work, which is pretty stupid. 

Nancy, thanks for the assignment!  I was thinking the same thing.   I could place mattresses in strategic points, maybe that would help.

Carolyn, glad you're making progress!   Sue, you get some kind of award for all that ellipticalling.  Does your foot go numb?

Missing way to much Olympics this year!   Downhill has always been my favorite too... it still is, but now it hurts my knees (really) to watch.    

Better get back to work.  Anybody know VMS?

Yesterday I did 35 min. on the recumbent bike & then about 40 min. of weight machines &other things.  I added some new arm machines, have to get myself strong enough to pull myelf up hill.    Doing the leg machines I tried to pay close attention to what muscles I was using, I think I've been doing them wrong.   2 sets of hammie curls w/the stability ball, side planks, & russian twists.

This morning I just ran because I ran out of time.  7.64 miles, 9:46 average pace. 

5 crescent moon miles last night at 7pm and 49F.  I used my headlamp for the first time and found it pretty good.  I made the mistake of drinking too much water before I left and felt like hurling for a couple of those miles.  And another mistake of running down to the strip, where I could smell car exhaust, fast food chain rancid oil and cigarette smoke from the people waiting for the bus.  But I wanted the challenge of running the 300 foot incline back up to my neighbourhood.

Finally Tramps does at run without 7's!

Nice workout and run dg!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Nice run enke.  Too bad the smells got to you.

Lift, shake, step, spin.  Sounds like a new dance.

Or perhaps a front load washing machine.

Maybe a game of mother may I?

I don't know...

Marathon Maniac #957

Today was x-training day, but mostly I just puttered around the house this morning, lacking in any real workout motivation.  Here’s what I managed: 1 mile on the TM @ 10:20, followed by lateral raises, butterflies, bent rows, stability ball crunches, 50 push-ups (20+20+10), and 4 chin-ups.

What with the weekend schedule, doing my LR works better for tomorrow, but I think I’m going to do it on the TM again, since this week is the 12-14-miler, and I want to do a wave run.  The hardest part about the bike path being snowed under is doing my LR’s.  (There are no bathrooms in the residential area I have to use otherwise. This is very stressful for me.   )  I long for a good melt, but don’t see one anytime soon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Watch that spin cycle, PBJ...

So Deb, what's with missing all my long runs? I could take that a certain way, ya know. But I won't. Actually, Wednesday wasn't particularly long (9.1) but it had a bunch of zippy half mile repeats at about HM or tempo pace, so that was cool. Other than that, just meh treadmill runs this week.

It's so nice to see Enke posting runs regularly again! You had us all nervous last year, dear. I'm so glad you're back amongst the running. And I have some of those smelly runs when I go on the bike path with a McDonalds on one side and Carl's Jr on the other. Ick.

Holly, it'll go. Have you had any warming to melt stuff at all? I find if it hovers around freezing for awhile (like we have these days), it just makes an icy mess. It takes a few days of warm temps and direct sun to really make a difference for us. GL with the weekend running.

I am most definitely NOT running on the treadmill this weekend! Hope to not do too much next week, either. Coming down with a bad case of treadmillitis, I think. No run today for me, but I'll be heading to the gym at lunchtime and pool after work.

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - there's been nothing above freezing for us since the snow got here.  Sunday and Monday we're supposed to have temps of 34-36, with rain/snow.  That should really make a lovely mess.  Then back to cold weather for the rest of the 10-day outlook, so looks like next week's 20-miler will be like the last one....

But then......March arrives.....

I just know that will make things better......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Greetings! Busy week. After a poor night of sleep, I overslept and could not get my run in this morning. To make the best of it, I brought my stuff and did a light tempo/progression run on the TM.  Tempo slightly annoys my foot, but I survived.

I did 1 miles x 8:27, 1 8:13, 1x 7:53, 2.5 x 7:41, .5 x 7:20, 1 mile cool down around 9 mm pace.  Felt ok.

Yesterday was 65 mins on the elliptical.

Kind of worn out today; too much drama. I have not posted about this but DD had some struggles last fall with eating disorders, which we thought were under control. After a long talk with her XC /track coach last evening ( DD is skiing alpine in the winter but the coach stays in touch with her girls), it is apparent things are not good.  One of Dd's friends and XC teammates went  to the coach  becuase she was so concerned. I guess the only good news is she is still  in HS not college, so we can get her to counseling etc more easily.    It is all very worrisome.

Next week is school vacation week, so Dh and I will be taking turns up north with DS and sometimes DD for ski training.

Good runs everyone.

Last evening, we got back from almost a week in southern AZ.  We really had a great time with my wife's brother and his wife.  The weather sure beat MI.  It was in the high 40s at night and mid 70s for a high.  I don't think we ever saw a cloud in the sky.  I got in 3 runs (2 of 8 miles and one of 6) wearing shorts and no jacket or hat.  We got in several walks/hikes and a couple of visits to the hot tub.  A couple of nice meals at restaurants topped things off.  It was a shock to get back to reality. 

I skimmed the daily threads and there have been a lot of nice long runs, speedwork, and the routine runs that are our "bread and butter".  I missed my daily (or more otten RA fixes). 

I did catch some of the non running news.  holly had a furnace problem that turned out not too bad.  dg's Sadie is doing well, fatozzig is still dealing with her back troubles (I hope it gets better soon).  Tramps and perch had some pretty snow pictures.  Walt got accepted into the NY half.  wild's daughter has to take another driving class which entails a lot of parental commuting (bummer).  fussy had a nice half with AG win.  holly had a weekly mileage PR.  mariposai's little buddies are moving away (that's sad).  dg is able to run.  steve posted a nice picture of Tag in his new cape.  franc got into the Verona marathon.  Tammy and her friend werre 4th in their couples race.  sue's foot is improving.  Tramps' wife is scheduled for her first tri.  lame, I'm sorry to hear your daughter is having a recurrence of her eating problems.  I hope you can get it resolved soon.  I hope I didn't miss too much.

This morning, I ran a couple of miles to loosen things up. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

My heroine of the week!  Can you imagine doing 4 cross country ski qualifying heats and winning bronze in the final all with 4 broken ribs and an injured (punctured?) lung due to a fall into a 3 meter ditch with ice and rocks in the first of 4 heats?

Petra is the toughest athlete I can remember. 

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2716267/the_injuries_of_cross_country_bronze.html?cat=9

OUCH!!

the fall:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=830383e8-15ae-4b1b-9cd9-c9de4110069f.html#raw+feed+majdic+crashes

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova