Masters Running

Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon Race Report (Read 713 times)

huskydon

Short version: Ran well (1:52:15) on a tough course. It was great to meet up with slojim & lleneforward at the race. This is my sixth half marathon, and in each previous race, I had managed to PR. I was pretty sure that I wasn’t going to do it here, what with the temperature (mid to upper 60’s) and the hills. But I had a good shot until the last mile. Here are the all important splits: 7:54 8:34 9:08 7:55 7:55 7:56 8:00 8:33 9:13 8:51 8:51 7:46 11:39 (last 1.1 miles, supposedly) For the last segment, it was the longest “mile” I had ever experienced. People weren’t passing me, so I don’t think I was slowing down quite that much. The race takes place at Camp Pendleton, a marine base 2/3rd’s of the way to San Diego from LA. It is an out and back with a large hill and quite a bit of rolling hills. It is part of the camp Pendleton Hard Corps Race series. Here is a link to an elevation map of the course: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=4344 It was great to see and talk to slojim & lleneforward again. It has been awhile. I have to admit I didn’t notice slojim as we crossed out on the course, he had dropped quite a few pounds, so I didn’t even recognize him! I also met three new friends from the Runners World California message board. The shirt was very nice, and the amenities modest (no medal), but the cost is low ($40). The focus here is on the marines and supporting the MCCS organization with the race proceeds. The race is exceedingly well organized with many marines marking the course and handing out water and Gatorade. I also liked very much that they sent me my bib before the race and they had the most porta potties per capita that I had ever seen (there were 879 finishers and 45 porta potties). I would certainly recommend the race if you are in the area. I ran well, definitely enjoying the many downhills, and managing to tolerate the uphills. I am looking forward to the Southern California Half Marathon (Irvine) in Jan ’09 to see what I can do on a level course. Thanks for reading. huskydon
      Nice race, Huskydon. Looks like a tough course. You handled it the course and the temperatures well. I read about the California races and have always wanted to go there and run one. Your report makes me want it more. I have a friend and distant family that live in the San Diego area, so maybe one day.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Don... I was wondering if you were going to do your porta potty survey...... I was quite pleased with the ratio.... no lines 5 minutes before the start of the raceSmile Congratulations on another speedy HM! very nice splits... and yes that last 1.1 mile was very long.... I think Joe said it was more like 1.3 or 1.4 according to his Garmin.

#artbydmcbride

Woohooo, or should I say Hooyahh! in honor of the Marines. It was great seeing you huskydon. You are looking good and you're getting faster all of the time! Did you get to see the tarantula out on the trail too? Shocked That was a tough course, but seeing all those Marines at the water stations made up for it for me. Blush And some of us got a medal. Wink

Runners run

nice work don!! sounds like an awesome race!!

denise

Gotta love those high porta-potty per capita ratio races!! (Eugene was like that, never more than 3 people waiting in line) Nice solid race, even if not a PR. Like evryday, I want to run in CA sometime. Preferrably in the winter Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Way to go huskydon and nice PR. It sounds like it was a good race and even better that you got to see ileneforward ad SloJim. I remember running in San Diego while on a business trip and a large group of Marines came striding by me chanting: "Inspiration, Perspiration Concentration, Determination ....over and over. It's beautiful there and I too would love to run a race there. Congratulations and at this rate, I think this PR will be falling soon! Thanks for the report. Karin
                  Nice race! You can't PR every race Roll eyes Quit sandbagging will ya Clowning around Sounds like a great experience and will make your next half feel easy. Cool So I'll predict another PR next time Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Fantastic race and you met some boomers. I am always so jealous when you guys get to do this!! Keep up the great form right now and keep racing. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

Gee, a challenging, rolling course on a beautiful day for a great cause and a chance to meet up with good friends. You'll get the PR another day; this sounds like a terrific race. Great report Don. Spareribs
                        Nice race, Don. It sounds like a nice course. Meeting up with SLOjim and Ilene is a definite bonus. Congrats. TomS
                        wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks, Don, nice RR! Fun to meet up with other Boomers, and it sounds like you're running well.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hey huskydon! Congrats on your PR! That's great you met up with your friends from Runners World and also with SLOJim and Ileneforward. Hope to meet you again at a local race in 2009.... cheers, dromedary

Marathon Maniac #957

The shirt was very nice, and... the cost is low ($40)...... and they had the most porta potties per capita that I had ever seen
                              Okay, I'm sold. When can I sign up for the next one? Smile Great racing, Huskydon, and the extra benefit that you got to meet up with some running friends is icing on the cake. Very nice!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Nice race; well done! Nice that you got to meet up with fellow boomers. Gotta love that porta-john-to-runner ratio! Big grin We've got a similar Marine Corps series here at nearby Quantico but they charge an arm and a leg for non-military participants so I never get to do them (and it's supposed to be part of their "community outreach" program; go figure).

Be safe. Be kind.