Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 11.3.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    Marj (2+ miles in the morning darkness and IRC + ‘round town biking)
    RunnerKSA (5.6 miles, including 3.1 dark, windy, morning miles + 2.5 post-work TM miles)
    Stumpy (3.1 brown bag morning miles)
    Quickadder (EZ 4.4@5AM miles with DD in 70° temps)
    Jlynne (6 morning miles in 42° mist + 30 min of weights & core)
    Tramps (exercises on a deadline)
    Opus77 (4 morning miles)
    Pfriese (EZ 10 miles)
    Twocat (18 humid Houston miles with a friend at 10:13 pace)
    Mike (7 miles, including 3.5 with the XC kids, and 3.5 solo)

Catwhoorg (6 lunchtime miles + 8+ post-work)

Surly Bill (4 trail miles were enough)

Falconfixer (7.2 miles)

Spacityrunner (2 EZ workplace miles in 80° and H at 11:00 pace)

Fatozzig (30 min of Firm Body Sculpt)

Tammy (EZ 2.7 evening miles with gloves for 1st time this season)

Tombstone (if I were to have one, which I won’t): “Here lies Jay. Have a greta day!” In actuality, I’ll probably just be tree fertilizer, and I'd be happy with that.

So, what’s with the crazy weather?

Nice photos of DD, Holly, and of Santa running, Pfriese!

Huge CONGRATS on being an Olympic Trials steeplechase qualifier, Sury Bill! No small accomplishment...

Tonight is #6 (I believe) in our series of neighborhood political discussion dinners, the first of which was late in 2015. It’ll be interesting to see where this one goes. I hope there’s a lot of wine…

I did a quick 3.3 RW miles in ridiculous 59° temps this morning.

I'm wishing good luck, tailwinds, fleet feet, and big grins to this weekend's racers (and I'm looking forward to a mini meet-up with Henrun, Marj and (hopefully) Stumpy):

11/04 Quickadder - McNeese Cowboy Gallop, 10K, Lake Charles, LA

11/04 Coastwalker - Run For all Ages 5K, Wakefield, MA

11/04 Henrun/Marj - Run for all Ages-5K, Wakefield MA

11/04 stumpy77 - ?Run for all Ages-5K, Wakefield MA

11/05 Dave59 - Marshall University Half Marathon, Huntington WV

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good luck, racers.

3 slow miles this morning.  Very humid- 67 degrees.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Warmish 3-miler.  Heading to the mid-70s today.

Hope the racers have a great run and everyone has a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Happy Friday everyone. 5.5 miles for me this morning. 34° no wind and a bright full moon shining down.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend - and enjoy that extra hour of sleep!

Bagged the planned morning 5 miler because...no excuse.  Body just felt unwilling.  I'll make tomorrow's SRD a 5 or 6 miler.

Heading out in a bit to the state XC meet with my lone qualifier. Race is tomorrow AM.   If he finishes above mid-pack and runs in the mid 16s, we'll be happy.  Mid-season back injury limited his progress a bit this year.

Enjoy the day and good luck ot the racers!

TammyinGP

Thanks for the recap Jay. 

No tombstone for me either. Just hoping at my memorial service, a few nice things are said about me. Hope I've had a positive influence on those around me. or at least a few people. 

No run for me today. Tonight is the dinner David is preparing for his teacher and SO as part of a class requirement. He's off school today so has plenty of time to prepare the meal. Bacon wrapped top sirloins on the grill, twice baked potatoes, steamed carrots and making brownies for dessert. 

Supposed to be a carpy weekend weather wise which will make it difficult to muster up the self-discipline to get out there for a long run and meet my weekly goal for the running game. Actually need to exceed weekly goal now that we are in the playoffs. oh the pressure.

Tammy

Good luck to all our racers ~ Have fun!!

Tonight is the dinner David is preparing for his teacher and SO as part of a class requirement. He's off school today so has plenty of time to prepare the meal. Bacon wrapped top sirloins on the grill, twice baked potatoes, steamed carrots and making brownies for dessert. 

If I leave now, I'll get there in plenty of time!! 

We're getting the crappy weather here, as well, Tammy.  Must be up and down the coast.  The cats were a bit confused, and Old Zig finally realized sun ain't in the cards for him today and sulked off to our bed.  He follows the sun around the yard all day on sunny days.  Feels good on his 16-year old bones.

So yesterday was National Men Make Dinner Day - - or as it's known around our house, Thursday.   The Hub does almost all the dinner cooking, and even though he didn't know it was a national day, he stepped up to the plate and made a nice, healthy dinner since I'm trying to drop the lbs. I've accumulated over the last 8 months.  Oofdah!

Rest day for me, after the last two days.  The plan is to run the next 3 days and get myself on a schedule running 4 days a week.  Sunday, I start my 4th week of 30 min only.  We'll see how things go and look at stepping up my game to a whole 45 min!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Quickadder

muster up the self-discipline to get out there for a long run and meet my weekly goal for the running game. Actually need to exceed weekly goal now that we are in the playoffs. oh the pressure.

Running game? I'm new here - please tell more.

We had a 'game' in the 60+ section at RWOL where we each gave a yearly prediction and reported back each week. The accumulated miles were then plotted on to a map to show our combined progress. This year we had looped through various countries in Europe and the Middle East and had just passed through India and into the Himalayas when RW closed the forum.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

If I leave now, I'll get there in plenty of time!! 

you know, you are always welcome to come to my home whenever you want!   and you'd actually meet David's teacher in normal attire. At least I don't think he'll be wearing his caveman nor his clown costume this time. 

Quickadder: so they just abandoned you all in the himalayans?? that's shitty. 

This is a virtual running game that RA does for the duration of the year. (sound like what (RW did but not plotted out on a map) This is my first year playing it but you basically sign up for it in December I think (for the next year) and indicate your annual mileage goal. The powers to be then make teams as evenly matched as possible based on member's annual goals. Then you just do your part to meet your goals, each week being matched up against another team in the game. We are currently in the playoffs. I would guess 2018 sign ups will probably be happening in the next few weeks. I'm on the same team as Erika but don't know any of the other members on the team. Erika has played it before, so knows the rules better than I do. I still don't understand how scoring is calculated to determine each week which team wins or loses or how the playoffs work. I just run what I can and report my miles. Our team captain figures things out.  I think there might be a forum on RA called 2017 in 2017. Next year will be 2018 in 2018 and so forth. I just have it bookmarked so access it that way, but I'm sure it's on the main RA page someplace.  You should join next year. It has definitely kept me motivated and there are plenty of times I would not have gone out for a run if it weren't for the public humiliation I'd get from my teammates, err, I mean I wouldn't have wanted to let my team down by not doing my part.

Tammy

metalmancpa

I got in 5.1 slow miles, 9:06/mile pace. Definitely still feel the effects of running a marathon 5 days ago. I'll be feeling the muscles more when I run in the Spartan Sprint at Fenway Park Sunday AM with my son. I knew I wasn't ready for the marathon, and I'm definitely not prepared for the Spartan, but it's all about fun this time around (did it once before 5 years ago). It felt good NOT to run 8 miles, and I am thinking 6ish will be my post marathon adjusted daily normal run.

I was thinking about the marathon some more, and had fun analyzing myself. In my race report I mention I could have this and that excuse/reason for my performance. But this time around I analyzed it based on standing at that starting line based on what got me there. I knew how I had trained, so in analyzing I put myself at the starting line again and thought how I would run it. My goal was a sub-4 which would be a 9:09/mile average. As such, knowing there were more hills the 2nd half of the course, I should have run the entire first half at or around that pace and come in at the first HM split at around 2:00. Sure that would mean having to equal that effort a 2nd time, but it would also theoretically leave more in the tank. I came in at 1:54:35, and in hindsight it's possible that 5+ minutes on the front end cost me 20 on the back end. A simple thought, but in my mind a lesson learned.

DAW60

Hi Masters,

Metal - congratulations on your perseverance in your first marathon.  Nice work!  Probably more of a fueling fail, than anything else.  I messed up the fueling on my last marathon and ended up walking through the last two aid stations, with death march running over the last 5 miles or so.  The stations were spaced two miles apart and I kept missing the Gatorade table and was only grabbing water through many of the stations.

Opus - good luck to your runner.

Falcon - you continue to impress with the volume of cardio you do despite a busy schedule.

Since my knee and hip really did not appreciate it when I bumped my mileage back up into the 30's, I took the whole week off running when I went to Asheville last week. This week, I'm experimenting with 20 to 30 minutes of elliptical, followed by 1.5 to 2 miles of HIIT on the tm. I have an old table from Jack Daniels showing effort level equivalence between pace/grade combinations on the tm and track pace. For example, 7:30 pace at 4% grade is supposed to be equivalent to 6:30, while 7:30 at 5% grade is 6:05.  I did run/walk intervals at both of those settings, plus ran the last 0.25 of two miles at 6:11 with 0 grade.  This was the third consecutive day of similar HIIT workouts after elliptical.  So far, knee and hip like it much better, but no idea how that will translate to the road.  For the sake of prolonging my running life, I may try this for a while.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Running game? I'm new here - please tell more.

We had a 'game' in the 60+ section at RWOL where we each gave a yearly prediction and reported back each week. The accumulated miles were then plotted on to a map to show our combined progress. This year we had looped through various countries in Europe and the Middle East and had just passed through India and into the Himalayas when RW closed the forum.

2017 in 2017 link at the top of the page.

Registration opens for the 2018 version fairly soon.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

Afternoon all.

10 miles for me again today... maybe due to the running game. It has provided additional motivation to build/keep my base mileage up.

Paul

metalmancpa

Metal - congratulations on your perseverance in your first marathon.  Nice work!  Probably more of a fueling fail, than anything else.  I messed up the fueling on my last marathon and ended up walking through the last two aid stations, with death march running over the last 5 miles or so.  The stations were spaced two miles apart and I kept missing the Gatorade table and was only grabbing water through many of the stations.

Thank you. I know fueling played a major factor in the back end death march. But I finished, and simply put that's all that matters.

evanflein

...Erika has played it before, so knows the rules better than I do. I still don't understand how scoring is calculated to determine each week which team wins or loses or how the playoffs work.

Ha, well, not much. I'm always asking the team leaders (who do know what's going on) what this means or that means. When they announced playoff weeks, I thought they were talking about baseball which my DH thought was pretty funny (World Series was underway by then...). So, yeah this is my 2nd year but not sure I'll do it again. I'm thinking I don't do well with these things because I push too hard when I should back off, just because I have this stupid goal to hit. So, I don't know. I also get a little miffed about all the activity being on Facebook when it's an RA group (same as Holly's complaint).

I've been MIA because work has been just too much. Between work, the freezing rain/ice, and now 4" of new snow out there, I feel like my running is just pathetic these days. I did get in 5.3 on the treadmill at the hotel yesterday morning, and Wednesday was a rest day full of travel and meetings. Today will be another TM run at home, but probably not as long as I'd like as we have a play to go to tonight. As Calvin said, the days are just packed!