Masters Running

Race reports for St. Patrick's celebration weekend (Read 21 times)

Mariposai

Here wishing a pile of fun to all the racers this weekend.

We are all looking forward to reading your race reports.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Quickadder

St. Patrick’s Day 3 miler in Lake Charles, La. Hot (70F) and very humid. First time I’ve run since my spill on Wednesday and I soon realized that I am not fully recovered yet. GPS suggested the race was short at 2.8x miles, but for once I didn’t mind. Finished in 25:38 to place 85/186 OA and 5/7 in M60-69 AG.

Tough AG with winner under 18 minutes and second place under 19. They age graded at 88.2 and 84.5.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

3.1m / 13.1m Sat/Sun double
        St. Patrick’s Day 5K Dash (3/17)
        Mercer Island Half Marathon (3/18)
        Third and fourth races of the year so far

After enjoying various fun and challenge runs along with annual

marathons/ultras for the last 42  years, last year’s abdominal misdiagnosis

reduced the year to only three runs, all by regular walking:
        . . . . Mercer Island Half (3:10:42),
        . . . . Summer triathlon with 5K run (47:55)
        . . . . Seattle Marathon (7:15:34)

It’s been a even longer time for a double anything like the last double Saturday/Sunday 26.2-milers in 2011 I used to do at the drop-of-a-hat or a 5K+Half+5K combo before lunch in 2007 or, with the help of the International Date Line, two marathons on the same Saturday morning in 2009.         .
        However, with all the abdominal loose ends now firmly secured with big mesh patches from last October, even though on the same weekend this year, nothing was going to stop the annual season openers to the local running season with the St.Pat’s-Dash-5K from the Space Needle to downtown-and-back and the Mercer-Island-Half that routes within a block of where we’re staying.

St. Pat’s 5K Dash - 37:23
        With the 37:58 in the New Year’s Resolution 5K that included a diversionary plunge into Lake Washington, I figured the low thirties should still be within range now that I’ve been patched up. However, though somewhat hilly, a disappointing 39:58 in last month’s Chinese Lunar Year-of-the-Dog 5K had me wondering and, sure enough, though St. Pat’s produced a 30-second improvement, it’s still a long two-and-a-half minutes to get under 35:00.  However, it’s a long year and I’m healthy again so no giving up until I have to.
        Mercer Island Half - 2:56:32
        Even though I finally had to admit last night that I needed a cold water soak to get the quads cooled down, gotta love a half marathon I’ve been doing whenever I can since 1990 and where the mile 11 hill is within a block of where we’re staying so DW can come out with some hot green tea and somewhat encouraging words. Never needed it but it’s also one of the few big races with gratis transfers.  Also an seeder for elites in the famed Bloomsday 12K in May.  Besides, how can I not like a run sponsored by the hospital where I was born in 1943.
        Though I was hoping for even a somewhat better time closer to 2:45 or 2:50, the 14-minute improvement from last year’s 3:10:42 might just be enough to produce another chance at a sub-6hr marathon this fall, after all. . . . . . <<<(ed note: , oh, . . .. forget it)>>>           
        Funny how a 2:56 can make me as happy as a 1:56 used to.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

3.1m / 13.1m Sat/Sun double
          St. Patrick’s Day 5K Dash (3/17)
          Mercer Island Half Marathon (3/18)
          Third and fourth races of the year so far

After enjoying various fun and challenge runs along with annual

marathons/ultras for the last 42  years, last year’s abdominal misdiagnosis

reduced the year to only three runs, all by regular walking:
          . . . . Mercer Island Half (3:10:42),
          . . . . Summer triathlon with 5K run (47:55)
          . . . . Seattle Marathon (7:15:34)

It’s been a even longer time for a double anything like the last double Saturday/Sunday 26.2-milers in 2011 I used to do at the drop-of-a-hat or a 5K+Half+5K combo before lunch in 2007 or, with the help of the International Date Line, two marathons on the same Saturday morning in 2009.         .
          However, with all the abdominal loose ends now firmly secured with big mesh patches from last October, even though on the same weekend this year, nothing was going to stop the annual season openers to the local running season with the St.Pat’s-Dash-5K from the Space Needle to downtown-and-back and the Mercer-Island-Half that routes within a block of where we’re staying.

St. Pat’s 5K Dash - 37:23
          With the 37:58 in the New Year’s Resolution 5K that included a diversionary plunge into Lake Washington, I figured the low thirties should still be within range now that I’ve been patched up. However, though somewhat hilly, a disappointing 39:58 in last month’s Chinese Lunar Year-of-the-Dog 5K had me wondering and, sure enough, though St. Pat’s produced a 30-second improvement, it’s still a long two-and-a-half minutes to get under 35:00.  However, it’s a long year and I’m healthy again so no giving up until I have to.
          Mercer Island Half - 2:56:32
          Even though I finally had to admit last night that I needed a cold water soak to get the quads cooled down, gotta love a half marathon I’ve been doing whenever I can since 1990 and where the mile 11 hill is within a block of where we’re staying so DW can come out with some hot green tea and somewhat encouraging words. Never needed it but it’s also one of the few big races with gratis transfers.  Also an seeder for elites in the famed Bloomsday 12K in May.  Besides, how can I not like a run sponsored by the hospital where I was born in 1943.
          Though I was hoping for even a somewhat better time closer to 2:45 or 2:50, the 14-minute improvement from last year’s 3:10:42 might just be enough to produce another chance at a sub-6hr marathon this fall, after all. . . . . . <<<(ed note: , oh, . . .. forget it)>>>           
          Funny how a 2:56 can make me as happy as a 1:56 used to.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Makes us happy, too, Tet.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."