Masters Running

So it begins again - 2.1.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

yesterday's excellent workouts:

Dave (ARC & weights at the gym before leaving for Tallahassee)
    Jlynne (5 TM miles, 20 min of leg exercises + core, and new PF socks)
    Tramps (11.6 easy. arbitrary and meaningless miles to reach 200/month for 1st time since Nov. 2014)
    Leslie (6 chilly miles with weird things and dogs at Round Table Pizza)
    Holly (4 short-on-time TM miles)
    Catwhoorg (6 mi in +20 temps vs yesterday, plus 12.3 on the bike after work)
    Stumpy (3.1 quick [he thinks] and refreshing miles)
    C-R (5 miles faster with everything holding together)
    BerthaSlayer (a whipped 5K to finish Jan with 172.6)
    Deeze (4.2 cold-fingered miles before 2nd of 3 days of 12-hr. shifts before vacation)
    Spacityrunner (2 miles on tired legs in 70F temps)
    Tet (5 mute miles, including 2 at a run for Ron Hill [but you didn’t hear about him from me], plus 5 on the way back for the longest day since Nov.)
    TW (30 min on the greenway, heavier hand weights, no back pain)
    Flats (10K, still behind the silly wabbit)
    Evanflein (5.3 miles in the snow in “pretty good 12F temps with uneven plowing and horse hoof prints to a 214.7 mile month)

I can’t imagine Ron Hill’s record of a workout every single day for 52 years/39 days!

Good info passed around the horn; thanks, Jlynne for the info about the PF socks for Mike’s friend .

Sorry about the company on the FL trip in May, Holly. I’m sure your DS likes that you are showing that photo of him…

Good luck and best wishes for your Dad, Steve.

4.25 miles this morning in about 2-3" of fallen and falling snow in balmy 27F temps. Even with my Yaks, it was a bit slick, so I took it easy. I finished Jan. with 196.4 miles, which was easily a PB for me, and probably the most miles in a month I'll ever see.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Nice highlights, Jay.  Thanks.  Good job today, even in the snow.

No snow here. Our little dusting is long gone; 47F this morning for a 6-miler.

There was a nice little story about a 75-year-old swimmer on CBS news last night as part of a series they're doing on active seniors. Certainly some folks around here who could be part of that series!

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

3 miles and a massage this morning.  I just have to fake work for 6 more hours and I am home free.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I texted that photo to DS, but didn't tell him I posted it here.  He told me he doesn't show his friends older photos of himself.  To prove his point, he showed me his DL photo.  I told him I thought he looked fine in the photo.  He said that was the proof that I was his biological mom...

6 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 in ~70 degree weather at lunchtime.

Getting ready to change by dropping back down 20 degrees tomorrow.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Holly - I can't believe your son is 20.  Geesh!  I guess FL with your boss is better than no FL at all . . . .

Nice mileage for the month, Jay!

SteveP - Will keep your dad in my prayers.

30 min of stat biking with 2 x 1 min hard, then a short core/ST session that needs to be extended to this evening.

Still have hammy and butt issues, so PT gave me a new exercise to work on over the next 3 wks, and then after my races on the 18th and 19th, we'll see how things are going.  He said it would take 2-3 weeks for this exercise to make a difference, if it's going to.  It no difference, my decision is to quit running at for at least 2 weeks after my race, continue with PT and see what happens.  *sigh* In the meantime, I've purchased a "donut" to sit on at work and in the car in the hopes of relieving some of the pressure/pain that's happening on the right side in my butt when I sit.

That's it for now ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I guess Holly won't have the chance to play hooky from the meeting, as I would probably try to do. Come to think of it, does anyone even remember the phrase "play hooky" any more?

After officially having only two sunny days here in January, today was a shock as I tried to remember what that bright light in the southern sky was. I went to the gym this morning and did just a mile or so on the TM since it was a bit too snowy to run outside, and also noticed that the January crowd seemed to have already drifted away. When I got home and had lunch, it was so nice outside (high 30s, sunny) that I went out and did about a three-mile walk down the Clinton River Trail, There were still a few inches of snow, but with a packed-down track it was very enjoyable.

I hope the sun is shining wherever you are too!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

I guess FL with your boss is better than no FL at all . . . .

Well, these conferences don't really let you come up for air.  The conference goes from 8:00am to 5:30pm, after which we will likely attend a dinner gathering, then there is a "Jam Session" from 8-9pm.  The most valuable insights generally come from the discussions, so we will be at all of them.  (sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

. Come to think of it, does anyone even remember the phrase "play hooky" any more?

.....yes,

I based a Career On it in HighSchool....

==============

.........50s here

30-min HH on GreenWay

and

30-min PoolRun

..............I realize that Missing PoolRunning is like Missing A RootCanal for a lot of you,,,,,,,,,,,But I REALLY missed it

...........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hey folks. I hope everyone had a good day today. The sun finally came out here, and even though it was windy and only got up to around 25° it was nice to see blue sky and sunshine instead of the eternal gray that was present almost all of January. 5 miles this morning, wearing my new compression sock which helps while running but doesn't seem to be doing much the rest of the day. On my run early this morning, I missed a frozen ball of ice and snow and my left heel came right down on top of it. I almost started crying it hurt so bad. At some point, though, I'm going to get smart and give my foot a rest

Seems to be a lot of people bordering on the IR list. Take care Jay, Leslie, Mike, Tom and everyone else who could use a little TLC.

Did anyone read the interesting article in the NY Times Magazine last Sunday about Pedialyte being better than sports drinks after a tough workout? Less sugar. And if you get the stomach flu, you're covered!

Happy belated birthday to your DS Holly. How is your DD handling her 3 game suspension?

Off to figure out what to fix for dinner. I have lettuce, broccoli, 2 eggs and some cheese in the fridge. This could be interesting...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

does anyone even remember the phrase "play hooky" any more?

I hope the sun is shining wherever you are too!

Pedialyte

Can't imagine not knowing, if not doing, hooky.

I  heard about Pedialyte a long time ago

and still buy some when it's on sale.

yep, sunny all day, ergo 26o on the morning mute

Nice enough to do it again on the way back,

. . . at a balmier 47-degrees.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I am just blowing on in and out. I have been reading the daily. I just have not had time to chime in. The last couple of days of my life have been really busy. Yesterday, after work, my DW and I went to the memorial service for the contractor that has worked on my house for over a decade now. Very sad. He passed away at just 51. He obviously had a rough life dealing with bouts of addition over and over again. I am really glad I went. I saw his GF and others he was friends with. I hope he has found peace.

Today was classes, classes, classes, student office hours, guest speaker lunch and a medical exam. That last item was a carotid artery scan which seems to have shown I am all clear on that front. I ended up getting this because my optometrist found a hemorrhaging blood vessel in my left eye. Apparently that can be a symptom of  a carotid blockage. My cardioligist thought it was a long shot in my case, but ordered the test just to be sure.

Yesterday I ran 10. Weather was in the low 20s. I have these new mittens with packs that you zap in the microwave and put into pockets in the mittens. The packets are supposed to keep your fingers warm and I am pleased to report they work! Normally my fingers would be numb with cold after a run like that. Yesterday, I was able to actually unzip my pocket to get my house key out! Will miracles never cease!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Twocat, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. May his family find comfort and he find peace.

Time trial for me tonight. 6 miles on the tm. Kind of cheating doing it on the tm but I didn't' want to risk slipping in the slush. Nailed it though. Boom.

The sun peeked out today while I was toiling away at work but I did get to see some of it when I was finished. Tomorrow I travel to hopefully see more of it.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

catwhoorg

Labrat

16 ish bike miles after work.

The office park was being resurfaced so I had to go and do my hill loop.

My legs are not happy with me

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

flats

turtle runner eximious

6.4 TM miles for me tonight

Michael