Masters Running

Saturday 9/13 get out and run day (Read 370 times)

Looks what happens when I do get up and run, my first first ever!! 7 miles on woefully little sleep. Volleyball team lost 2 tough ones last night, 2 more today and look out ladies because I am feeling energized!

Marathon Maniac #957

Craneium – nice way to start us out today. Enkephalin – neither of the attorneys in our office have patience for illness. They are both rather completely self-absorbed (although neither would think so), and tend to see things only in how it inconveniences them. I have more than once dragged my sick child to work because my attorney needed some document or pleading done and “just really needed me there.” On the rare occasions when I have been home with a child too sick to drag out (in 7 years there, I don’t think I have ever called in sick for myself), I forwarded the office calls to my cellphone (at my own cost) and took calls at home. I am fortunate in that, other than occasional colds, I have enjoyed good health. My boss actually believes that she herself hasn’t gotten sick in many years, and each winter when she gets a cold, she insists that it’s allergies. Conversations From the Backseat: Yesterday, since it was raining, I took DD and our 6-year-old neighbor boy around the corner to the bus stop in the car. After they got their seatbelts buckled, DD turned to the boy and said, “My dad farts in this car.” Big grin 5.75 slow miles for me today in a very muggy 72 degrees. Now off to soccer games, errands, etc. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Morningh Gang Nice start Crameium, Holly muggy but not windy Big grin Did some brick training today 8m bike ride and 3m jog Bike 8 m in 33:56 Jog 3m 36:12 Good runs all Roy
          Hi Craneium! Isn't the Rochester marathon/half-marathon this weekend? One of these years I want to try that one. Good luck with the rest of your games. Holly! Oh that DD of yours. She is spicy to be sure. Darth Karin here---disturbance in the force! I Love it Erika! Cloudy and rainy 13 mile run this morning at 6 AM with a former neighbor and Ironman dude. I almost didn’t go with him since this is the e-mail he sent two days ago: “Hey, Karin I haven’t seen you in a bit and I am guessing you aren’t training for much. I want to get back into running shape since the sprint Tri racing season is ending and I need to get back into Full Iron shape. I figure you can KEEP UP WITH ME since I am out of shape now (!) I need to get back into shape and hoping you’ll do 12-14” Sputter, Sputter, Fume, Grrr…….I can keep up with HIM???? Okay, so he can run an 18:00 5k when he is in peak shape, but his best solo marathon is a 3:57 without the rest of the Ironman legs, so THERE…..” Poor guy, I felt great after 13 sproinky miles in 1:47/8:15 pace and he was hurting and didn’t want to tell me. Keep up with me my a$$! (insert a Beavis and Butthead laugh track here). The rest day yesterday was just what I needed and the rubber band description is so apt. Quality and not quantity now will make a difference. I am hoping Mary's first 20 miler is going well. I am also thinking about all the people in the path of Hurricane Ike----good luck and strength to all of them. May they find safety and the assistance they need. It's heading to Dallas next or near that area----What are they saying there Ribs? I always worry when Jim Cantore of the Weather Channel pops up. He's in Houston now. My husband always says that if we ever see Jim Cantore show up in our neighborhood we need to get out FAST! Good Saturday to all----hockey, gardening, closet cleaning, new pants shopping for the kiddo, and other various and sundry errands on tap for later Karin MTA: Hello there Roy! Nice Brick!

Renee the dog

Went out for 7 -- did 4. First mi felt great -- then nothing felt right. I realized I could still do 7 tomorrow and do the 3 planned for tomorrow today, so I did and added a penalty mile. Got home and ate 2 portions of flounder stuffed with crab meat. I think that "nothing felt right" feeling was me being really hungry Confused (though when I do any sports my stomach turns off so I wasn't getting any signals from there). Will make sure I eat more today so there's no repeat of this tomorrow. Good job Craneium getting the full 7 in with less-than-ideal conditions! Way to go!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Dark Horse – I often listen to audio books during my LRs, and my current selection is a Lee Child novel, Bad Luck and Trouble. I don’t know if you are familiar with Child (you are probably WAY too literate for this stuff), but somehow I quite picture you as his protagonist, Jack Reacher, even though I know you are probably actually nothing like him (prolly just because he's a really tall, ex-military guy). Smile
              Holly, I just saw this note of yours from yesterday. I had never heard of Jack Reacher so I looked him up on Wikipedia. He and I are the same height but I am handsomer and more of a stud. Also I am a faster runner and a better driver. Also I have a watch, which I understand he does not. Like him I am accurate with a sniper rifle, but to date I have only shot road signs near my property in the Adirondacks. Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                Sputter, Sputter, Fume, Grrr…….I can keep up with HIM???? Okay, so he can run an 18:00 5k when he is in peak shape, but his best solo marathon is a 3:57 without the rest of the Ironman legs, so THERE…..” Poor guy, I felt great after 13 sproinky miles in 1:47/8:15 pace and he was hurting and didn’t want to tell me. Keep up with me my a$$! (insert a Beavis and Butthead laugh track here). The rest day yesterday was just what I needed and the rubber band description is so apt. Quality and not quantity now will make a difference.
                Way to go Karin - YOU ROCK! Big grin Saturday - 8.02 miles easy - 1:07:07 (8:22) - Avg HR 129 Max HR 141 - 66 degrees and humid. Now for a nice day of yard work!!
                  Holly said: I have more than once dragged my sick child to work because my attorney needed some document or pleading done and “just really needed me there.” On the rare occasions when I have been home with a child too sick to drag out (in 7 years there, I don’t think I have ever called in sick for myself), I forwarded the office calls to my cellphone (at my own cost) and taken calls at home. Big Hugs to you Holly. Holly also said this: Yesterday, since it was raining, I took DD and our 6-year-old neighbor boy around the corner to the bus stop in the car. After they got their seatbelts buckled, DD turned to the boy and said, “My dad farts in this car.” Holly's DD rocks!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Last week Twocat made a comment in jest that soon I would be in the 40/40 club. I thought, "Why not?" And I had a wonderful week. I was at 33 through yesterday with today to go and the plan was 7 at the lake today. But you know what? 40 is just a number. And I was very tired last night. I could feel the weariness, so today is a day off. There will be lots more 40 mile weeks to come, no rush. Karin, way to show him! The storm has the attention of everyone in Texas of course, but it is far south of us. We will have some bad weather late today and tomorrow but Dallas is in North Texas. I feel for all those folks in Houston and Galveston. The storm is huge. Last night I watched a PBS special on old doo-wop groups, which I absolutely love, because they were the songs I grew up with. On this board many of you don't even know who they are (well, maybe DickyG, Tselbs, Roch and Henry do), but certainly everyone must have heard of the Drifters and their great lead singers, Clyde McPhatter and Ben E. King. Here are just two recollections I have about this group. Doc Pomus was one of the great songwriters of that era, and he was handicapped, confined to a wheelchair. At a wedding of one of his family members, he could only sit and watch as one guy after another asked his lovely wife to dance. The feeling of loneliness inspired him to write the great song, "Save the Last Dance for Me." He got the Drifters, with Ben E. King as lead singer, to record it and it was a big hit. When West Side Story came out, it had everybody singing those songs and entranced by the story of the Jets and Sharks and the ill-fated lovers. The people were from the ghetto, had no money, and quite often their only refuge was to go to the roof of their tenement, like going to the beach for them. Carole King was so moved by the play that she wrote the song "Up on the Roof" and again it was the Drifters who recorded it, another smash. "At night the stars put on a show for free And darling you can share it all with me, Let's go up on the roof." Spareribs
                      Another rest day for me... I'm staying clear of the political discussions,us ex-Canadians have very different views...
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      Dave59

Dark, rain, sore foot, 7 easy miles. My conversation this morning with DW: DW: Were you out running in the rain? Me: Yes, 7 miles worth. DW: So your foot is feeling better? Me: No DW: Roll eyes Oh well, my foot feels pretty good on a flat surface when I am moving in a straight line. And it doesn't feel any worse after the run than before so who knows what in the world is gong on. I just have to stay away from any foot twisting activities like basketball or chores around the house. Big grin

6.6 miles in 1:04:10 about 34 minutes out & 30 minutes back on a flat course with lots of puddles & light rain. Been having low back pain for several days now I have to go to college football game and sit in the rain Confused Ribs your recovery has been an inspiration to us all. Dicky I want you to know DW won $25 for longest putt at golf outing on Thursday. Smile Looks like Cy Young contender Cliff Lee will be facing the Sox on Monday the 22nd, the game that I'll be at Cool Now enjoying my coffee & a wonderful pumpkin donut from a local fruit farm, yes pumpkin donuts qualify as fruit Big grin Have a great weekend & stay dry.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Day of rest after my 12-mile run yesterday. My arch is sore, so I'm going to roll it on a tennis ball. Is there anything else I should do? Is it a serious concern?? DS's XC team had a meet yesterday. They decided not to push very hard since there wasn't much competition, but they still took the top 8 places plus #10 and #12. I hope they all stay healthy. They're the #1 team in the state right now, out of all school sizes (they are not a big school). The top 4 kids have started doing doubles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so I have to get DS to school at 6:30 am! I can't wait until he gets his driver's license in February or so. End of brag! Blush Our family is going to go candlepin bowling at our local Y this afternoon, then go to a farm stand for some fresh veggies and fruit. Should be fun!
                            DickyG

You think professional rasslin' is scripted? Well, check this out...Police didn't find anything fake about the blood & bruises on Rick (Nature Boy) Flair after a fight with his daughter's 22-year-old boyfriend. Neither man was charged but Flair's daughter Ashley was charged for resisting police after she became belligerent and kicked an officer. The police officer, Arnold "Hulk" McGregor, stated "she hit me with a low blow when my partner wasn't looking, then followed it up with a Tombstone Piledriver. The ref counted the 1-2-3 before I knew what hit me." Ribs:
                              I tentatively began slow jogging in one-tenth of a mile segments, followed by a nice walk break. I did 5 of these for a half mile...
                              OK...let me get this straight...your first day of running and already you're doing intervals? Teresa:
                              I attended the Galloway clinic at our local running store last night. What a gentleman he is!
                              He's also apparently a brilliant businessman. He won the very first Peachtree in 1970 and took that one win & parlayed it into a career. And...the first one to incorporate the run/walk technique was my friend Howie Beck who never once ran all of a 10K and still was in the low 40's. NoNo: A penalty mile? Very cool...but you should have only assessed yourself 5 yards and loss of down. Karin: You are a killer! Can you hit a curve ball? Ribs, I'll be going through the doo-wop PBS special during the next day or two...recorded it all and am able to FF through all the appeals. First impression...Harvy Fuqua is still in wonderful voice...so are the remaining members of the Solitaires ("Walking Along"). I don't think there are any of the original Drifters left..Bill Pinkney died during the past year or two. And still another soupy day here...95% humidity...I overheated big time...4 miles in 36:51 (9:13)...must have taken 10-12 walk breaks...just couldn't catch my breath. DickyG
                                No need to post today, but since I always enjoy reading everyone's brave ventures, I felt I must. I woke up feeling achy all over and then made the mistake of checking the outside temp on computer, and it said "feels like 80" and it was only 7 am, so I talked myself out of a long run and instead dragged myself to the gym where I forced myself to do only a 5K on the treadmill. Blah. Then a mile swim. Tomorrow I must rally. Cranium, way to go! Holly, thanks for sharing the honest truth that comes out of children - I love it! Sorry you work for such inconsiderate sloughs. Both my DD and SIL are attorneys, and they are not planning to have kids for a long time, as it is frowned upon in their firms. Spareribs, you never cease to amaze me. I'm a doo-wop fan also; sorry I missed that! Karin, you rock!