Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 07/25 (Read 429 times)

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. -- Russel Baker

Rest day for me.  Tomorrow start the new schedule - Ugh!

Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Why is it there are so many ppl reading, but no one posting here???

Hark! I have a situational prose deficit situation....errr  uhhhnmmm an idea that needs a bit of shall we say, rounding out? input appreciated! greatly....(kin ye tell I be drinkin jess a wee bit during the developmentally stages of said idea development?!)  anywho - I have an aid station @ my annual TRR event (5 wks out)   & I have an idea to spice it up a bit...I've seen these series of signs that have, shall we say, funny, inspirational, terribly facitious prose on them (google Burma Shave) & I'd like to do that - one different set per day for the six days - for the runners to enjoy during the race/run. such as: (Never) (Fear) (The Beer) (Is Near) - thought that one would be funny to use IF we were running into Oktoberfest again, but we're not.   Oktoberfest is backed up a wknd! Sad   or (There Once) (Was a Runner) (From Peru) ( ..i cant remember the punchline.....) ;  (They saw an elk) (Oh what a thrill) (Until they hit it) (with the grill)   .....Definitely want running related. Maybe elevation funnies. Endurance stuff? FUNNY!    Typically is a prose separated into 4 signs posted in sequence along the road/trail....HELP!!!!!!???? 

I'm also building a music list to pump out over the truck speakers @ said aid station....all ideas considered!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

Wow! Quiet in here... R 3.2 fartleky miles w/Mairead in much cooler, cloudy conditions this am Smile
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy - The music and signs are a great idea.  I was sorely disappointed this year at SOB when the signs that were posted the last two years coming into Siskiyou Gap Aid Station were nowhere to be seen. They did, however, have the bluegrass band again.

Re sayings for the signs, I'll have to think on that one.

Re music - I think some good rock 'n roll (emphasis on good) mixed with some southern rock (i.e. Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Thorogood, Drive-By Truckers, .38 Special, Allman Bros., Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot . . . I could go on) and regular country  would be great.  . . . . but that's just my preference.

40 mins of upper body and core for me this a.m., followed by about 1.7 miles of hill repeats.  One hill is .25 in length, then I turn around and "jog" down to The Hill, which is close to .20 in length.  Then down The Hill and back up the other section, down, the back up The Hill.  The Hill is definitely steeper than the first section, but I was pleased with the results of both.  Had a "tag" point on the The Hill, which was someone's car.  Here I am making my second ascent and the owner comes along and drives off before I get to it again!  The nerve to go to work just when I'm . . . almost . . . there.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Back from travel and just now catching up with y'all....

Joe - ugh on the stomach crud, my sympathy.

Cindy - love the sign idea! Maybe you can google "burma shave" and get some ideas that will work, even if they were ads and safe driving messages.

Jim - hope the harvest is going well, sorry to hear about the hail!

Leslie - I can't find your SOB RR..???

Carol - get back to work!

Looks like everyone else is doing well....

Did a hard 20 mi of backpacking in four days, it wasn't far but it was 5000 ft up, then down, it was all pretty steep but took us into beautiful high Sierra scenery. Unfortunately our night #2 campsite at 10,000 foot next to a lake was mosquito HELL - we used 98.5% DEET, plus layered clothes, plus rain gear, and still had to flee after one night. We pretty much hid in our tents the whole time. I stopped counting bites today after I got well over 100, unreal!  Plus I'm a big rash I guess from the DEET and sunscreen combination...??? It's still just very wet up in the high country after late spring snowstorms. Other than that it was fun, and definitely good cross-training!

It's going to feel good to get running again, even in the heat!

Arla

Ex runner

Welcome back, Arla.  I've always wanted to give hiking a try, but would have to do it without The Hub.  He's just not in any kind of shape to do so.  I'd be afraid he'd have heart attack.  Re the mosquito bites - this was Cindy's recommendation to Carol:

Carol - ref the mosquito bites:  apply Ben Gay/Icy Hot/Walmart brand muscle cream - whatever you may have on hand,  to bites - you're looking for menthol, camphor & salicylic acid combo which will draw out the poison (takes away the itch) & speed healing

You couldn't find an SOB report because I haven't done one.  It went okay - I finished, so I guess that's the main thing.  It was really warm, and I could tell I didn't have the training/mileage I normally would have.  I also (once again) screwed up on the nutrition thing.  There wasn't a whole lot at the aid stations that was appealing or that I knew my stomach could tolerate.  However, toward the end I did find that watermelon and Coke go well together!

8.50+ miles this a.m. with strides.  I was okay until about the halfway point, then my legs started getting tired.  I didn't have time to get in the scheduled 10.  Got up late because Wilson failed in his duties as my 2nd alarm clock.  I figure it's easier to blame it on him since he can't deny anything.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Seems to be going around Leslie, I overslept and missed my scheduled run. But by the looks of the cool damp wet weather today I can get it in tonite. We just have one field to harvest that refuses to ripen. It is the one with the bad fungus, fusarium head blight, causes some really nasty toxins. I plugged the combine last nite and Lynda and I dug it out, she is pretty sicky today, I was having problems last nite couldn't breathe and didn't sleep much, but seem to be fine today.

We had a hail adjuster on the corn fields yesterday and got good adjustments, hopefully that is the worst we get.

Arla bummer about the skeeters but thest of the trip sounds like heaven to me. I want to get done with harvest so bad so I can get my mtn fix. I haven't heard about any of the mtn skeeters carrying West Nile which is so prevalent here, almost makes you paranoid about getting even one bite as It nearly killed one of my best friends.

Cindy like the sign ideas and Leslie's music choices.

Hiya to Carol, Joe, Kevin, Kelly, and Ev where are ya?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hey All, quick drive by on the way to beddy bye.Been busy at work, no time to post. I have been running doubles outside pretty much everyday post stomach crud.Getting ready for this relay next weekend. It has been low to mid 90's everyday with no rain for about 1 1/2 months. Very high humidity, I have not even looked at the numbers cause I'll get skeered and hit the treadmill instead. Purposely been out at 4-5 pm which is the hottest part of the day. Sunvisor,sunglasses, no shirt ,one to two bottles frozen water to drink and pour on head. Salt packet every mile and a gu every 5 for the salt. Water and gate mix. Been surviving getting along pretty well making sure I don't overheat. I'm praying for a cloudy day next Sat. but it looks like my 2nd leg may be super hot! It's only 6.75m but it's described as

" a piece of cake, but the cake is in the oven" Yikes!

What's the relay, Joe?  Shadowrunner/Joe is running a relay next weekend, as well.

30 min of uninspired stationary cycling, followed by an hour of core and full body strength training.  Now I'm waiting for the repair guy to come tell me why I can't use my Blu-ray player.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Leslie- we may be in the same race. It's a 92mile relay across NJ . Info here.

Top 'O the World!

Hey!  Sounds like everyone (who's checking in) is doing well!  Kewl! 

Yeah Joe, I'd heard that heat training was the way to go....I jes try reeeeal hard NOT to! ~ mostly....

Thanks for the input guys....I'm also doing some digging in some runner's quotes & inspiration books....really like some of the t-shirts, they're just not long enough for a series of signs...unless I do a series of funny short ones...

Caught a steam 4 miler w/BRC group. really small group this week, possibly due to the H&H!? I didn't do too badly - mostly holding a 9:40 pc - except for 'Raids potty & creek breaks!  Then she & I did another easy 3 this am before busting but cleaning the car & packing things up to run a class reunion & junk....**Hoping that alcohol consumption is still the primary genre so I can enjoy one or two ** 

Had an unfortunate moment last night right after the run - one of the other gals has a basset hound about Mairead's age...the basset normally runs but her human wasn't feeling particularly well so, they just joined the after run gathering...anyway, both dogs are normally easy going & well socialized but have never met so, we're not sure what exactly happened...a brief sniff became a bite - w/minor bleeding.  Mairead bit the basset!! Colette took Tater home & didn't come back. She was pretty upset. Mairead immediately laid down as if nothing had happened. Doug thinks the Tater was a little too pushy & in her face & Raid just "checked her". I'm thinking Tater was in btwn her & "Dad" ....don't know....still! I feel badly about it!

Laters

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - that heat training will help you, no doubt about it. Although I'm always reading that you need 2 weeks, I find I really need more like 3 or 4. Maybe it's an age thing.

Cindy - I doubt that Mairead did that for no reason, surely the bassett was out of bounds.

Easy 6 in the am with 4 x 20 sec strides and 3 sets of 5 burpees, Then x-training (gardening, house cleaning, cooking) for company tonight. I'm ready to relax!

Where's Ev?

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Hey Kids-

Cindy- I wish I could come up with some good quotes for ya ( ah hem, google.com) but I'm sure you'll find them. Brevity,my friend, is a virtue. And oh yea, that bassett was way outta line and rubbed Raid the wrong way. It happens.

Arla- your skeeter story is scary. If there's one little thing that can ruin a good time in the woods, its those god-awful mosquitoes. Deet was no help?!? Good workout.

Leslie- good going on always picking some kind of plan. Always reinventing.

Jim- hope the harvest is going well. It seems like the weather has been decent for you.Fungus sounds scary.Hope Lynda's feeling better.

Stumpy- handling this heat? Coming up to visit a good friend in Belchertown this weekend. I'll run some real hills(early in the am) and hopefully the humidity's not as bad up your way.

Carol- sounds like you're getting your $$'s worth out of the gym as well. Good for you. How's the pool, crowded?

Supposed to be 100* around here on Sat but heading north tomorrow with a few buddies to a friend's house in Mass. Lots of kayaking ( I'll get my runs in ) and beer drinking going on.

Have a good summer weekend !

flatland mountaineer

5 this morning, went fine. Getting showers almost every day, not enuff to do any any good just enuff to mess things up.

Harvest, it just drags on. Had all our good wheat cut by last friday with overall decent yields with just the irrigated field left. Last summers series of 6 hailstorms still haunts us. The hail brought on the fungus in the corn which in turn with a bizzare set of crcumstances (a six day rainy period with a susceptable variety occuring right at antithesis ie flowering) infected the wheat at a time too late for fungicide use. Each product has a designated cutoff period to avoid residues in grain, believe me they (EPA) takes this very seriously. Long story short Yield is a third of normal, insurance will help some, just disappointing when you do everything right and get bit. Gotta take the good with the bad and our dryland wheat was very good and the market has risen over a dollar since we started. The same rain that caused problems in the wheat has our corn looking fantastic. I guess we are professional gamblers. Damn we need to get this harvest wrapped up and get off this farm before I go stir crazy, been stuck here working almost every day since memorial day. Sorry for the rant.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Rant all ya want, Jim.  We all do sometimes, but we have a special place in our hearts for farmer ranters.  You guys do not have an easy go of it.  But without all of you, we would have nothing.  So rant on, my friend.  Ran on.

Joe - Yep, same race.  Shadowrunner/Joe has a leg, I just don't know which one.  Maybe you guys could actually meet up?  He's shown up in here before, but also posts on the weekly x-training thread and over in the Predawn Patrol Forum.

CRIPES!!!!!!!  I have the hiccups so  bad right now.           waaait a minute. Just wait a doggone minute - they're gone!  I write the word "hiccups" and . . . they're . . . . gone.  Yee haw!

Okay - I gotta go to bed.  It's late, late, late . . . . late.

See ya -

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance