Masters Running

40's on the run - on the move again (Read 839 times)

Hi 40's, looks like we have arrived safely at another Monday! Dang, this is starting to look like an ultra thread with all this talk of crossing mountain ranges, and long runs for everyone. Weird weather here...was in the 70's yesterday. Around sundown, I went for a nice 4 mile run with Katy. Wore shorts and a tank top, and it was very pleasant. As I was heating up, the sun was going down so it was getting cooler. Very nice. Coming off my cold, I got in 3.3 miles of walk/run on Friday, weights on Saturdy, and 4 miles of running yesterday, so looks like I'm on the upswing. Think I'm going to try a class at the gym today called "gentle flow yoga". Doesn't that sound nice? I'm already feeling mellow just thinking about it Smile
    Progress Trumps Pefection
    sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Sillybear: for your "stripper name" go here ~ http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/b99714521cd9490ba2576ec94fd29b24/4
      Okay, I'm now "Lola Heaventhighs." Just call me Lola (rhymes with c-o-l-a cola...) Surprised
        Okay - Let's see if I can remember everything I just read: Silly Bear - Nice stripper name!! Arla - Congrats on the long run. It still amazes me when you get done with one of those and it's like, "Yeah! (fist pumping!) And I feel great!!) Re keeping the tooties warm and dry - I wear Wigwam trail running socks over a pair of Injini (sp?). My feet stay warm, but they don't stay dry. Depending on how long we're running, I'll carry an extra pair of socks if my feet get too wet. Karen has a pair of "waterproof" shoes, but the problem is when water does get it, it can't escape. Also, there's more moisture from foot sweat 'cause it can't escape. I figure getting your feet wet is all part of the fun of trail running. Mtnchk - Don't think I'm up to the Rockies challenge. I like to try and keep things at 6,000 feet or lower. Wink Re the number of racing miles this years - if everything goes according to plan, 107 +/-. We just found out that our planned July 50k has been moved to August, so we need to find something else for July. There's the SOB in Ashland (Siskiyou Out and Back), but Karen has her kids that weekend. If it ends up being too hard to work around her kid schedule, I'll find something to do by myself for that month. It would be interesting to see how well I'd do in a 50k all by my lonesome. Carol - Sounds like you're feeling pretty good there, Chickadee. Congrats! And that yoga class does sound wonderful. Let us know how it went. Farmer Jim - What decisions have you made about the hip?? I know we had a new person pop her head in here. Unforunately, I can't remember your name at the moment, but Welcome!! If I forgot someone, sorry. Cathcha next time. Because I have plans in the very near future (vacation), I'm getting sick again. Third time since November. Very irritating for someone who never gets sick. Grrrrrr! So I used that and lack of sleep last night as an excuse to not get out of bed and workout. However, I'm now seeing that was a stupid move as the rains and winds are suppose to move in again tonight and through the rest of the week. <sigh> Guess it'll be wet one in the morning. Some nurses my dad works with had a dinner last night for him and I went as his date. Unfortunately, the lady whose home it was at smokes. Could smell it as soon as we walked in. My coat reeks, had to go home and shower and wash my hair. Ick! It was a very nice evening, but the smoke smell . . . Dead Didn't do my already sick sinuses much good. Have a great week, everyone!</sigh>

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hmmmm....Lola huh? We need to find a similar site for the guys. I'm beginning to worry. Oh Leslie, I'm so sorry you are getting sick before your trip. Hopefully you will have time to get beyond the worst of it before you leave. Even though I'm pretty skeptical about herbal stuff, I'm a big fan of Airborne. I drank a couple each day this last cold and it was one of the milder ones I've had. Don't know if it was just a different virus or what, but figured it couldn't hurt. Gentle flow yoga was awesome! I felt like a very relaxed wet noodle by the time we finished. Didn't realize how tense I was in certain areas 'till I felt them in a more relaxed state. Highly recommend it if you get a chance.
          Progress Trumps Pefection
          BTY

OK, so you thought you could lose me? Tongue I actually ran today, for the first time in 2008. 4 miles in 39:30 - a 9:53 pace. I was pleased that I was able to stay comfortable at a pace just faster than 10/mile, and I was also pleased when I weighed in at just 189.75 - didn't quite creep up to 190 in my running togs, and I thought I was pushing 195 - 196. It is 48F here in Albany right now. I think it was 8F just a few days ago at this time of day. We may hit 60 by the middle of the week before winter returns. Brian
              Okay, it's official. We're gonna run the SOB 50k in July. http://www.siskiyououtback.com/mainpage.html Total elevation gain throughout the race is 4,200. Shocked Sometimes I wonder about my mental judgment. Blush I am so swamped at work!!! I can barely keep my head above the piles of papers and files. I just keep chanting to myself . . . vacation soon, vacation soon, vacation soon. And why am I in here if I'm so buried at work? I needed a break and I don't have any Calgon or bathtub to take me away . . .

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey Brian good to see ya and good run.They're calling for close to 70* for us tomorrow though it'll be mid 40's @ runtime @5:30am.Still better than the 12* I ran in last week. Smile Some schedule Leslie and that trail race looks awesome!4200ft!Holy Smokes!!!

Some schedule Leslie and that trail race looks awesome!4200ft!Holy Smokes!!!
                  I'm already preparing my oxygen mask. Smile

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Nothing really new on the hip.The radiologist was supposed to read the x-ray today but never heard from them. I ran 3 and change saturday really slow, kept wanting to burn it at the end (now this is a relative term) but was a good boy. It doesn't feel right but not any change from the run. When I laid off from running that week was doing quite abit of leg work with weights and don't think that helped???? The ortho guy doesn't come again until mid feb but could go to his office and I guess he has an open mri machine there. I suspect in this area the demographics favor him seeing alot more of 80 year hips than weekend warrior wannabe athelete types like me. My worst fear is him telling me I need to find a different form of exercise or that I need replacement surgery. Oh well can't make judgements until I try him, just would hate to spend a bunch of money and get no where. It just seems funny I was running 17 mile weeks without pain just before harvest. http://www.gprmc.com/Physicians/physicianprofile.asp?PhysicianId=80 enough rant. Hey SB welcome back, .......His name was Lola he wore a diamond,.......... sorry for the earworm Wink I didn't do my stripper name cause ol leathercheeks can't be topped, Big grin Joe your a good sport, great runs man what can I say, looks like you have a great deal of promise in this sport!! Carol looks like your hip thing is coming around for sure. Brian glad u stopped in. Leslie wow thats some race, what is your altitude at home? mtnchk your getting some great mileage in muddy dog and all!! Some of our friends from Estes do Leadville or rather attempted it, I think one got past 50 and the other 75 before missing the cut or dropping out. They are both extremely well conditioned and much younger than me, if they can't make it wow. They run some with cgerber on this forum also. Teresea hope you get to ski some too this winter. I haven't got to ski recently since I got "fit", hoping it will make a big difference.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Farmer Jim - The fact that your hip felt fine before harvest makes me think even more that it's a hairline fracture, something really inflammed, etc. Find out, dude. We don't want to lose you. And - I live at sea level. Probably not real good training ground for 4,200 feet. Last August when we ran the Trinity Alps, we went up to around 6,000 feet in 9 miles. It's amazing the difference it makes in your ability to breath. However, it's my understanding that if you're going to compete at those elevations, you either need to show up right before the event so as to not give your body time to get all wacky (which is what we're going to do) or at least 2 weeks prior. My only other issue right now is I am still dealing with blisters. I have one more remedy to try, and I also think that when we go down to the Bay Area this weekend, I'm gonna look for another pair of trail shoes. I'm wondering if it's the shoes . . . and it can't hurt to have an extra pair, just in case. Okay, gotta get some work done this evening as my side attorney is leaving until Tuesday. I think he forgot I was leaving this weekend for a 2 weeks. He had this look on his face when I reminded him: Sad Confused

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

I went for a run at 7pm tonight and it was 47* here in the Burlington, VT area. The weatherman is predicting highs in the 50's tomorrow! I saw people running in shorts and out riding their bikes. Crazy weather. Hope it snows soon so ski season isn't literally a wash! Stay healthy everyone, Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                        woodwoman

Rainy weather went away today! Looking forward to cool but sunny weather to run. Ran 3 miles yesterday on very little sleep, that wasn't so smart! After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, all three kids went back to school today - hooray! Seriously, we had a nice break - usually we're traveling in two different directions around the country since the two teenage boys play hockey on different teams. So usually I am in one part of the country while hubby is in a thousand miles away with the other boy. This December we had two weeks at home - all of us. I think I was starting to get Stockholm Syndrome - I was dioriented at Christmas, strangely getting accustomed to it by New Year's. By last week I was starting to bond with my captors.
                          sillybear

Chief Donut Hunter

Lola is a great name! Okay, y'all, totally NOT running related Shocked so I hope I don't get kicked out for this. There is a delightful movie called Kinky Boots. Now, before you roll your eyes, would you believe it is about a guy (named Charlie) who inherits his dad's shoe factory, and realized his dad was just about bankrupt. He doesn't want to lay off all the employees (who pretty much raised him) so he decides do branch out... ... with the help of a cross-dressing dancer named Lola. Played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, who I think is awesome. Lola is fine with me! (I promise not to go all crying-game on you, too) Evil grin
                              "Kinky Boots," huh? I'll have to check that one out. Had planned on getting up and doing the strides I was suppose to do yesterday, however, awoke to pouring down rain and gusts up to 50 mph. I though it more prudent to stay inside for strength training. If I'm lucky, we'll lose power here at work and I can go home early! Keep your fingers crossed! Shell - You guys have snow over your way? Carol - Got some drugs yester for the ole cold/sinus infection. I'm not riding this one out like I did the other times. That's about it for now. I'll probably get chatty later. Have a great day, wherever you are! Candy Dazzlethighs.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

LOL! I resemble that Angie!! 'cept she's only 8! Big grin We were not trying to ditch you Brian!! Roll eyes we tossed ya a rope! Clowning around Glad to see ya back on deck! Smile Heeeyyy Lola!! Big grin Carol: I need to get back into yoga too....I really like Ashtanga.....used to have a hot young instructor..... Wink glad you're feelin' better! Leslie: I need to talk to you about altitude sickness!! Roll eyes ya can't b.s. your body! How your body responds to the changed barometric pressure & oxygen levels could effect everything! - or nothing...some folks don't even notice a sea level to 6,000' change....some are down w/flu-like symptoms for up to a month! If you're in relatively good physical shape ( Smile) & do some good prep work (primarily hydration & rest), most folks would be race-ready in a couple of days!....in the meantime, take one from Lance...train @ altitude as often as you can before the event....he usually had his team (as I understand it) up here @ Leadville for up to a month or so before Tour de France...nothin' like training @ avg 10,000' ele when the actual race doesn't get much above 7K!! Hey!! to everybody else....Good runs in good weather al!l Wink We'll see if I get a run today...DH scheduled a repairman & gave my entire day for the window!! Angry Cindy/Ms Glitterkiss
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group