Masters Running

wanna see what I did today? (Read 266 times)

Mariposai

The facts: 5K in 24:14. A PR by 4 minutes. 2nd age group 3rd overall. No time for lipsticks nor Red Door perfume (sorry Ileneforward). I wore my lucky Capri tights and my "Let's Climb a Mountain" finisher t-shirt. My shoes of choice was my new Asics Nimbus, which I love. But, no garment was tied around my waist this time, so no fine from SpareRibs Tongue) The narrative: Today was the 30th annual Oroville May Festival Run. This was the first race I ever did in this county when we moved here 12 years ago, so I always try to run it every year. Today was also the town of Oroville's 100th anniversary celebration as well so I really hated to miss it. But at the same time I was debating if I should run it or not considering that I just ran a marathon three weeks ago and ironed a trail relay race last weekend, which was a 21.7 miles race. Last night, after dinner I decided to go ahead and run today, but treat it as a training run. This morning I drove up north for one hour enjoying the scenery to it's fullest. After arriving in town and registering I then decided to run the whole course as a warm up and also as a way to check what the dictators of all "the body and the mind" were telling me to do at the race. I was actually amazed at how good I felt, no aches, no pain and the muscles were not feeling like lead. Toward the end of the w/u, I remember my own advice to MS and Enkie last week...let the race come to you for the first half and run as if your hair was caught on fire on the second half...so...I decided I should be practicing what I preach and do the same today. At this point I crafted a goal that was way out there for me (last 5k was28:24), but not too far out that it may bring some injury to my tired body, so I set my hopes for under 26 minutes, or an 8:24 pace. The field was a medium size for our area...so I decided to place my self towards the middle and when the gun started I hit my goal pace and “allowed the race to come to me”. At the turn around point I took a look at my faithful Garmin and found that I was at 13:45 and that my HR was doing great so decided it was time to start imagining that my hair was caught on fire and ran within my limits, pushing, but not to the extreme and get back to the finish line as fast as I can. The 1.5 miles seemed so loonnnnnggggggg at that pace, but I kept thinking only one more block and when I conquered 3/4 of that block…I said again…one more block and that helped me to keep the pace I was holding. I refrained to look at my pace until the finish line. The result of this effort was a finish time of 24:14 (7:50 pace) according to my garmin. A slashing 4:07 PR from my last year's 5k and it even gave me a nice ribbon for my third place overall and a hardware for my second place age group…imagine that.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Wow......what a great job. A PR......nice fashion report......nice race........nice placment in age and overall.....What can get any better? Congratulations and thanks for the report.
      Vista
        Outstanding race, mariposai. You sure did run like your hair was on fire. Congrats on the big PR, 2nd in AG, and 3rd OA. TomS
          Whoo hoo! Amazing race and wonderful RR. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

A HUGE congrats to you for a wonderful race...you rock!!! Yeah, that last 1.5 miles is tough in a 5K. GREAT JOB!!! Loved your race report! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Wow, you are having one heckuva year so far, m'dear! Congratulations on an excellent race and PR. Don't you just love those Asics Nimbus? I'm on pair #4 and looking for #5...
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, my goodness, what a wonderful race for you!! Congratulations! Your race report comes at a perfect time - I will try your strategy in the morning.
                HermosaBoy

WOW!!! Surprised That is so awesome!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

pfriese

Mariposai, What an excellent race you had. Congrats on your AG/OA placement and your new PB! Paul
                      Wow, Mariposai, that is quite a big chunk of time you shaved off. Something is working well with your running, and I'm envious! 3rd overall, so you must have beat a lot of youngsters!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Rindaroo

Wow Mariposie!! That is amazing, awesome, so exciting to shave 4 minutes of your former PR! Congrats!! Smile

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mariposie, - I know the job interview was rough and I know that the last couple of weeks were full of hard running in the Wenatchee Marathon and marathonesque 21.7 mile Sunflower Mountain Run plus you had yesterday's two-hour, inquisition-like job interview and I know that you know that any kind of sub-8:00 pace to improve on your 28:24 PR (9:10 pace) requires a lot tempo training and track work that you have not been able to do anymore (if ever) and I also know that 5K races are few and far between out there but I had a wonderful dream that you got in one and didn't dillydally encouraging your friends and waiting for them Let's Climb a Mountain / BellyMary / Seattle Mary>>> and you ran a four minute PR. Hope your dream comes true. job too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

You went out for a training run and hit a PR and got hardware!!!! Sweet.

SteveP

MONSTER PR! Congratulations Mariposai and way to let the race come to you while floating to a new time and snaring some race hardware too. You are running so strong now and clearly having fun with it. Fabulous! Karin
                                that's an amazing performance! you are one amazing runner! susan (had to think long and hard about where oroville was, till i remembered up by osoyos... all those Oooos!)