Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 2.20.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I've, fortunately, never had an AT issue, Holly, so I can't give you any advice other than to please, if anything, be over-protective of that area, and listen to the advice of others who have traveled that painful road.

Pretty fickle weather these, days, 'eh Ribs? How nice to have the luxury of deciding on Saturday if you will race on Sunday!

Congrats on your return to good health and a nice run, JBG.

Leslie, I hope that Shorty can work his magic on Nick, just as you did for Shorty. I know he's giving it his best shot, and that's a pretty good shot.

Deeze, I'm so sorry that you are so sick. Seems that you are doing all the right things, so just give it time to work it's way out. Once it's gone, you'll get back into race shape pretty quickly, based on how well you were doing before this came along.

Running in carpis, Enke - must have felt great! So, what was the freak out about?

I'm glad your back spasms have stopped, TW, but I'm sorry about the need for the back brace. I guess someone else'll have to get the spare change...

Twocat, that photo wins! Great shot of a beautiful start to the day.

We also got that 'surprise' snow squall yesterday, Marj. Sorry you got caught in it. I'll bet that post-run tea was very soothing.

Wow, Steve - sounds like you picked a good time to escape from work and enjoy some Florida warmth.

Evanflein, I've learned that focusing on the next season doesn't make it come any quicker. So I just try to enjoy what's outside my door as best I can.

Mike's having a somewhat normal day? What is that?? 

I was in a meeting yesterday afternoon, and looked out the window to see a near white-out, with all the snow coming down. We were forecasted to get a little rain in the afternoon, but I guess it was chilly enough to turn it to snow. So what had been pretty clear roads were all snow-covered by the time I headed home, and I had to get the snow blower and shovel out for another round of clean-up. That was 2 rounds in 1 day, so I was beat by the time I was done. This morning, I couldn't see over the snowbank out front to assess the road conditions, so I just stayed in. Before I go to the office, I have to do some roof raking to clear some of the snow before tonight's rains come: The roof sure doesn't need any more weight on it. Temps are supposed to be in the 40s for today and for the next few days, so let the great snow melt begin!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

NHLA

Jay  that's a great snow pic.

Holly  can you feel knots on the AT. Use friction release and rub the knots out. Tight calves are usually the cause. Stay away from hills also don't run trails or grass because your foot flexes more. Get some rainbows to wear around the house. Flip Flops with arch support.

I ran through my AT problem but it was painful. I was running one day and realized I was crying.

5 miles 41 min  short run in shorts. Its 60 out there!!  Hurt my foot during race. Took two days off but still hurts.

Gorgeous photos Jay (and Twocat) and great winter weather attitude too Jay. I for one want to escape in February next year and since we'll have an empty nest, I am serious about that. Training for a spring marathon in this carp has been interesting (and I use "interesting" as my  third grade art teacher did to describe my masterpieces).

Sorry about the foot NHLA

I’ve been in SoCal for client board meetings since Monday at noon and have grabbed every free moment for running (and sleeping) when I am not working. Four days of meetings and four runs along the ocean, 32 miles in all, some hill repeats, sand sprints, and just grateful!

I am off to Colorado Springs (Hi lamerunner’s DD) for one more day of work travel and then home to the melting Northeast on Saturday. 10 mile race on Sunday.

Can’t wait to see my guys and hear all about their visit to the Mizzou and U. of Michigan campuses. Right now those are the leading contenders for the kiddo and both have been amazing in their personal attention. All I know is that black and gold and maize and blue running tops are waiting on my dresser. :-)

Racing Sunday and while the temps. will be warmer than they’ve been for the past weekends, a high of 39º won’t be too hot. In fact, may be IRC!  And best of all, I’ll see deez4boys at the race. Hurray!

Careful Holly! I’ll pile on to say that AT pain, even if seemingly minimal is serious stuff.

Fatozzig and Shorty are amazing. Full stop.

Marathon Maniac #957

This morning, I couldn't see over the snowbank out front to assess the road conditions, so I just stayed in. 

Yikes - that's a tall snow bank!

NHLA - hope the foot clears up for you soon.

Karin - running along the beach sounds lovely!

We are forecast to get strong thunderstorms this afternoon/evening with 50mph wind gusts and flash floods.  While I am happy to see the snow get washed away by rain, I hope the flooding doesn't do much harm.

Heeding the advice of my wise friends here, I did NOT run today, in spite of the mild 35-degree temps.  Instead I iced, did some exercises (flat ecentric heel drops) I saw at this site: http://www.runningwritings.com/2011/09/injury-series-flat-eccentric-heel-drops.html

(Just to clarify, insertional Achilles pain and treatment varies from medial Achillis pain and treatment.)  Also, I did some core work and push-ups.  I definitely don't want to cause something chronic that will follow me all summer.

One more week ultil March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Holly - wise move - prevention is boring and a good move!

Jay - also wise move - i went out at 8 and there was still lots of black ice - mixed walking with runnning

Ran (mostly) 5+ miles

Have a wonderful day & enjoy the warmth

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

looked out the window to see a near white-out,

the last two times I looked out the window to a whiteout (in 1954 and 1972), an avalanche was enveloping the town.  Fortunately, it was soft, light powder that soon blew away leaving everything in a eerily dusty beauty.  However, still very scary, especially after being in a real one in 1956.  Every year thereafter has been a gift.

Flip Flops

holly - I hope you overcome this Achilles whatever it is even stronger than before.

However, though probably not otherwise recommended, maybe try getting

stronger by going gently barefoot in the house for a while

so you'll always be well within any risk of pain, hurt, etc.

sometimes inadvertently masked by footwear.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

Sayhey, I really miss y'all.  SOme of you I see on FB, but I like it here.

Here's my problem.  THis group is so darm polite and compassiionate, I feel like a slob when I'm here.

I mean, it's very welcoming; it's why I miss you and find FB isn't enough (of course, I am in touch with many of you there.)

I can't post a lot, so I can't comment on everyone's posts, even tho I read them on the daily.

I love how people all take care to respond to each other and really get involved here.

Would like to join in but can't live up to those standards.

So if I get too terse, just tell me or something.

And I know so many of you are dealing with snow, ice, etc., my runs aren't going to be too popular right now....but wait until summer (which I thing of as our winter) when Breeeger and I try to out complain each other about the heat and humidity.

I had to drive to a bridge this am before dawn in order to do "hill work" as it is flat and flatter here in SW Florida.

ANyway, anyone heading down this way this weekend for the Gasparilla distance races in the Tampa area?

yer old chum,

Aamos

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I feel like a slob when I'm here..

. . .

Would like to join in but can't live up to those standards.

Dear amy,

just to let you know that someone posting in your name who knows nothing about you characterized you as a slob.  We knew it was not you when they thought we have standards you cannot live up to and didn’t know, even if we had standards, it’s us who can’t live up to you but, somehow, you put up with us anyway as your chums, no matter what.  thanks. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Get out Aamos. You're not as good as we are.  (Ha ha, I still owe you some info about that Memorial Day race. Keep forgetting to send it.

Holly, another idea is to buy (cheap) those gel heel cups.  They raise the heel up just a touch and take a bit of the AT pressure off.  NHLA had some good ideas also. Hope his foot heals up.

Feel sorry for poor Jay every time I think of this NE weather. My RP is back from a few days in San Luis Obispo as her son plays baseball for Kansas State and the family went out there to watch him play a few games.  Of course these Californians rave about their weather, to the annoyance of the rest of us, and the northeasterners have it the worst.

5 easy miles with her today, my last run until Sunday's race.  Spareribs

Dear amy,

just to let you know that someone posting in your name who knows nothing about you characterized you as a slob.  We knew it was not you when they thought we have standards you cannot live up to and didn’t know, even if we had standards, it’s us who can’t live up to you but, somehow, you put up with us anyway as your chums, no matter what.  thanks. .

Perfect ~

One more caution to add Holly - This might not be something you want to self-diagnose.  If you get a medical opinion from a sports doc or sports PT, you can be assured you're taking the appropriate corrective measures.

I slept terrible last night with really weird dreams when I did sleep, so I didn't get up and run this a.m.  I might do some strength training tonight after work.  We'll see.  Gotta be at work at 6:00 tomorrow a.m. as I'm leaving at 11:00 to drive the 5-6 hours to Castro Valley for a 30k trail run on Saturday, then driving straight home afterward.  It'll be a long couple of days, but this race is in the same area as a 50-miler I'm seriously considering in October, so it should give me a fairly decent idea of what I would be up against.

Beautiful sunny day =  Shorty's working.  Yea!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Aamos - Hiyah!  (waving madly)   Slob, schmob, feel free to breeze through and drop your book bag and coat anywhere.  I'm used to that.

Leslie - I swear this is just mild at this point.  I only mentioned it because it is new to me, and something I hear so many others dealing with long-term.  I will take some precautions and see if it responds.   With all the dental, doctor and ortho appts for myself and my kids in recent months, I really cannot take any time off for another appointment unless it really seems necessary.

Tet - I do have those V5Fs just sitting around in the closet.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Aamos!  If you manage to get your act together, you'd be welcome back here! 

Beautiful pictures yesterday, Jay and Twocat!

Karin, hope your DS has fun on his college visits! It's an exciting time for him!  I'll wave hello as you pass through Colorado.

Leslie, good luck to your friend Nick.  And good luck at the race this weekend - that's a long way to drive!

Enke - what was the freak-out about?  Did everything work out okay?

Holly, good luck with the AT thing.  I hope you don't have to stop running!  (Isn't that what we all dread when we get injured?)

My foot feels better, so I don't think I'll have to stop running.  C-R, I laced my shoes like you suggested, and so far, so good.  I have a Fat Ass 50k run on Saturday, and hope my foot does okay.  If not, I'm prepared to cut the run short.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...aamos//............Terse is Good........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

yes it is.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

ditto.

Tammy