Masters Running

Saturdaily, 8.4.18 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:

Tramps (5 miles)
    anneb (6 miles at 6AM)
    RunnerKSA (9.1 Lehigh Gorge Trail warm, humid miles)
    Tomwhite (40 min HH 3-3s)
    Pfriese (4.3 Wild West Relay miles in 34:57)
    Evanflein (4.5 EZ pre-rain miles)
    Falconfixer (EZ, humid morning 5 miles)
    Surly Bill (1.2 trail miles with 804’ climb, 9:22 pace)
    Mariopasi (13.5 miles with a running partner in mid-audit)
    Quickadder (2.8 evening miles with the running club in H&H - 8:41 pace)

We haven't heard from Holly in a little while - I hope she's OK.

Sorry Twocat, you can’t just keep thinking about workouts. Regarding the DH who is turning 70 - tell him to suck it up. It’s just another day in the process. He (and the rest of us) have been getting older every day since we were born, so he (and we) ought to be used to it by now. My freak-out year was, believe it or not, when I was 29. I’ve been enjoying the ride ever since, and I’m as old as the DH is about to be.

Fatozzig, so sorry about the extra work you are likely ab out to take on. But you do give a crap, and that is what makes the difference.

Tammy, I’m so glad there is good progress on the fire front.

Evanflein, I rarely review past running logs, but I am on Athlinks, and I do check my times from the same races in past years against current performances. Why do I torture myself like that??  Good luck today!

I'm on my way out to a steamy workout before this morning's racewalking training session. We should be able to get done before scattered thunderstorms start to settle in for the rest of the day.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

We haven't heard from Holly in a little while - I hope she's OK.

Howdy folks - I've been dealing with some stuff, but should be back at it tomorrow. I have been reading but not had the energy to post.  I may fill you in later, but I'm getting ready to go visit my dad, who is having chemo for bladder cancer and not feeling well.  DH and I put together a basket of cheese and crackers and munchies for him. Then after that we will head to Yellow Springs and browse the shops, eat lunch and DH suggested maybe even (gasp) some hiking at Glen Helen.

Hood luck to all the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Best wishes for your dad and your visit today, Holly.  Hang in there.

Thanks, Jay.  Have a good workout and race walking session.

Tammy- good news about the fire.  Fingers crossed.

3.3 miles from my sister’s lake house.  Saw a deer and got close enough for a picture.  The deer wasn’t up for a selfie, though.  Still horribly humid, but the rain is gone and the day will improve as it goes on.  Plan to hang by the lake and try stand up paddle boarding.  I am running really slowly.  Part of that is I just don’t bounce back from injury the way I did 30 years or so ago.  The other is I think I’m still hampered by the butt/hamstring thing even though it doesn’t hurt while I run.  I think it is just not 100% and I’m losing some of that leg function.  All that is OK, but I have to get over myself with my slow paces on Strava......

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

[[[ holly's dad ]]

.......40-min PoolRun with letters....

Good Running to Ya....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Good to hear from you Holly.

70?-ah, to be that young again!!

A steamy 3.5 this morning. My name was called from the opposit bank of the river and the woman running past me looked up as I said, “that’s my wife”.

We’re off to a play this afternoon. After that we head to Marj’s DS for a bbq. They were expecting 30 people (including my DS and family) but the expected heavy rain has caused a number of cancellations. At least it’all be nice to see whoever shows up.

C-R

Hang in there Holly.

Guess it's steamy everywhere.

Ran a local 5k this morning. Pretty happy. Fastest in 3 years. Boy was it humid. Glad it was only a 5k. Now for yard work and other catch ups projects.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Quickadder

Usual Saturday morning group run, though I abandoned at 11.2 miles after an urgent detour to the park restroom. At least I don’t have to write up an incident report 😗

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

coastwalker I so wish I could do something other than just think about workouts. My back will not let me.

Surly Bill are there a lot of quail where you live? I am not sure I have ever seen a wild quail.

TammyinGP good to hear they are starting to get a handle on the fires. With a bit of luck maybe the worst is over.

<<Ache and pain complaining alert. Read at your own boredom.>>

I had a MRI done on my back last Saturday. I was waiting for the doctor who sent me for the MRI to call me and tell me if I need to come in or if a two second call would do. When I did not hear back I finally called to see what was going on. Turns out they just expected me to come in again. Why? Often the answer is just keep doing PT or whatever. If it is something else, then they tell you to come in. Adding to this, I am supposed to get an MRI on my hamstring too. No word from the MRI place to come in. (They call as soon as they get clearance from your insurance carrier.) I call the doctor's office to see what is up with the clearance. They sent it to the MRI office on July 25. Call the MRI place, yes they got it. They are not sure why nobody called me.  To cut to the chase I have an appointment for Monday at 7pm. After that I think I am just going to book an appointment with my orthopedist and not wait for a call back. However, at this point I really need to get my back fixed. There was quite a bit of progress for a time. I can now sleep without a heating pad. But standing still or lying down still hurts. Plus, after doing that for a bit the residual pain even when I walk or sit lasts for quite some time.

<<End complaint alert.>>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning folks. A busy Saturday here. Prayers for your dad Holly. I hope your basket of goodies will help lift his spirits.

Thanks Jay. Did you have time for farmers market this morning?

KSA - at least you can run. I'd take any type of slow at this point. Have fun on the paddle board.

Hi Tom!

30 people is a lot of bodies at an indoor BBQ Henry. I hope the weather improves.

Happy Birthday Mike! Hope it's a great day for you

Great 5k this morning Norm. How fast was "fastest in 3 years?"

It was already 71° with dew points in the 60's at 5:00 this morning. I opted for the Y. An hour on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights and core. Then off to farmers market and filled two bags with:  Brussels sprouts, green and wax beans, green and red peppers, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini and a big bouquet of sunflowers. There's a veggie stir fry on the menu for tonight with some grilled sword fish. Yum.

The house is a disaster. Boxes and stuff everywhere. We move 3 weeks from this Wednesday. I'll be glad when this is over!

Have a great weekend everyone.

twocat:

California Quail are all over the hills here. Not as easily seen as the recent turkey infestation over the last decade, but probably just as high in population. The kids call them land ducks, because the chicks all follow along in a line.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Henrun

Twocat- find out if your ortho can refer you to a Physiatrist. In 2013 my back was very painful. A Physiatrist saved my life. I continue to do stretches- heat and pain patches as needed.

JLynne-my sympathies. 6 months ago we moved from one condo to another and, after one week went to Florida for a month. As Marj says, “don’t worry, eventually you’ll find everything “🏠

Dave59

13 hour drive to Navarre Florida yesterday.

3.04 mile run this morning. Dry when I started but encountered a downpour every 10 minutes.

13 hour drive home tomorrow.

C-R

21:25 Jlynne. Good luck on the move. Being an Army brat and former military, it all works out eventually. It's like Christmas only in a plain brown box.

Dave - 26 hour driving over a weekend. Oh my.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave - that's a lot of driving!  Is flying too expensive or inconvenient?

Holly, hugs to you and your dad.

Twocat, that sucks about your back, and the issues with the doctor's office and MRI place.  Sounds like they need to improve communications, and they need to clearly explain their expectations for who calls whom when.  Hope you get some relief from the pain,

Henry, I love the comment "70?-ah, to be that young again!!"  That does put it in perspective!

Jeanne, I agree that even slow running beats no running, any day.

Well, I had knee surgery yesterday to repair a torn medial meniscus.  The doc told me to lie on the couch with my leg iced and elevated, and get up and move around every hour.  I can walk with no crutches and no pain, although the knee feels a bit stiff, and is still all bandaged up.  I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.  The knee injury happened on a trail run on July 16th - my knee just felt like I tweaked it at about mile 9, although I didn't trip or fall or do anything unusual - just running along down a rocky hill.  Anyway, I ran the last 5 miles back to the car, and iced my knee that evening. After a week of rest it still hurt, so I went to my orthopedic doc, who ordered an MRI.  It showed the torn meniscus, and he recommended surgery, so I decided to do it as soon as possible.  Since it's been less than 3 weeks off running so far, I won't have lost much muscle or fitness, and I was biking before the surgery to keep active.  Not sure how soon I can return to running, but my doctor sounded a bit dubious about my original plans to run a 50k and a marathon in September...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R

Well, I had knee surgery yesterday to repair a torn medial meniscus.  The doc told me to lie on the couch with my leg iced and elevated, and get up and move around every hour.  I can walk with no crutches and no pain, although the knee feels a bit stiff, and is still all bandaged up.  I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.  The knee injury happened on a trail run on July 16th - my knee just felt like I tweaked it at about mile 9, although I didn't trip or fall or do anything unusual - just running along down a rocky hill.  Anyway, I ran the last 5 miles back to the car, and iced my knee that evening. After a week of rest it still hurt, so I went to my orthopedic doc, who ordered an MRI.  It showed the torn meniscus, and he recommended surgery, so I decided to do it as soon as possible.  Since it's been less than 3 weeks off running so far, I won't have lost much muscle or fitness, and I was biking before the surgery to keep active.  Not sure how soon I can return to running, but my doctor sounded a bit dubious about my original plans to run a 50k and a marathon in September...

I was there a couple of years ago. Short version - I rushed recovery and set myself back by more than 6 months. I'm just now getting back to where I want to be. Word of caution - be conservative on recovery time and diligent about following the PT work. I know doctors are usually conservative in timing but I wish I would have paid closer attention. Biking and elliptical will be your best friend. Sorry to hear of the injury but glad the surgery went well.