Masters Running

Friday 9/28/18 (Read 40 times)

SteveP

Jlynne venturing in the dark with her gang.

Stumpy suffering from a too much of a good thing double dose of the BoSox.

Quickadder getting in 7.3 with a greta training partner.

TammyinGP knocking out 20 with her partner. David's setting an example of what a stellar human being can do.What else could be better?4.2 on the road to Hana!

Joe618 rocking out 4+.

Henrun going with the flow for 4.2.

Dave59 stole my running style for 8 miles.

TomWhite working out with a friend and casting pearls of wisdom.

The effervescent PBJ mixing the gems with the junk.

Erika and DH making plans for some island adventures.

AnneB recovering from the 10th inning stress. "It could be, it might be....it is!! A Home Run!"

Deez4boys triple dipping the lifestyle and adding a little MIL cross training.

Holly is bearing down with DD and atty. I've heard that youthful indiscretions can last well into our 70's. Here's hoping the recovery from the implants is quick and mighty.

Erika - the doc said no, nothing that gets my HR/BP up for the time being.

sounds like the stay home from work card to me.

RunnerKSA spending 35 min on rotation before venturing out for a hurry up and wait MRI.

Falconfixer zipping around in the dark for 5.2. I'm very sorry to hear about Boston.

Evanflein (gracing us again) just as satisfied doing the polar opposite.

Liz went over the mountain.

and she has a new sports doc to see.

Mariposai enjoying the eastern shores with the CoolCats.

Thursday moring I yelled to DW that I was going to register for a race on Saturday. Avenger Doggie trots into the comupter room and starts his nonsense.

SteveP. long hours. same stuff. more money in the cuss jar. The company hired 4 guys to move our safe to a different room. Not much progress. My boss asked if I had any ideas. Of course I did. There was a small obstacle and I directed a guy to move the piece of plastic carp on the floor. Then I told him that what he where he was fiddling around with is the opposite of the floor. Then, "Would somebody show this $&@$!! where the $&@$!! floor is". Damn cuss jar anyway.Once they got rolling, I left. One of them stopped in my office to thank me for my help and gave me a bill for $250.00.

I've been looking for a new job. Today I found out the idiot they hired to help me failed his pre-employment drug test and we hired him anyway. He also had a dishonorable discharge and had been fired form his last gig.  Employers are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

SteveP

pfriese

Another beautiful morning for a run around Paris. I followed roughly the same route as Tuesday with the addition of a loop around Parc Monceau & a trip further down the Seine to the scale model for the Statue of Liberty while cutting back up to the apartment before Ile de Cite. Here is the link to the Relive animation

coastwalker

Mornin' Steve, Pfriese, and everyone to follow.

Sure is curious about how your 'helper' got hired with all his past 'successes,' Steve. Good luck with the job hunt. Any company would be lucky to have you.

Great Parisian run and photos, Paul.

I did 7 miles of predawn RW fartleks in intermittent light drizzle and about 57°f temps. I don't know my stats because Garmin Connect isn't connecting. But it felt good to have a workout with a little intensity for a change. Now I think I'm ready for Sunday's 10K - if I can survive the neighborhood lobster fest we are hosting tomorrow evening.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Today I found out the idiot they hired to help me failed his pre-employment drug test and we hired him anyway. He also had a dishonorable discharge and had been fired form his last gig.  Employers are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

No doubt!  Good luck on the job hunt - your current employer really does not deserve you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey Steve P - if your company was willing to hire the idiot, just think who might be willing to hire you!  Good luck.

Falcon - I feel your pain.  I was 4:32 faster than my "qualifying time" (that wasn't).  So I really missed it by 20 seconds.  Eerily reminiscent of two years ago, when I qualified (but didn't) for 2016, missing the revised cutoff by 11 seconds. I thought I was good for 2019, under the assumption that fewer runners earned a qualifying time from the 2018 Boston race, due to the lousy weather.  Oh well.

I had to cancel my Boston hotel reservation last night.  That cost $20.  Think I can recharge the BAA?

I guess that frees up my spring 2019 marathon.  Any suggestions?

Dave59

8 miles yesterday and a 5k tomorrow. I took today off jogging and shuffling.  3 sets of a 6-minute core routine this morning.

anneb

Morning, masters. I slept through my alarm but managed to wake just after 6am anyways, just enough time for about 4 miles around the neighborhood.

Steve - so what is the purpose of the drug test if they hire the guy anyways? SMH

Holly - take it easy. Hope you recover from the surgery quickly.

Karen - a MRI at 10pm? Yikes.

It's supposed to be quite chilly overnight... the 7am temp tomorrow looks to be 42! What am I wearing?? Maybe a light vest? Do I need to find a pair of gloves? When we donated our old dining set/hutch everything got bagged and is sitting in a closet upstairs... so I literally need to dig through the bag to find some! It's like I never ran outside in cool temps before...

Anne

My appointment was for 7:30 (which I think really means 8 because they make you get there early) and I didn't go back until about 8:45.  It took over 30 minutes counting taking off jewelry, the boot etc. and then I had a 30 minute drive home.   At least I got in and don't have to wait a week!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...thanks steve//...............every Spring we've all seen The Guy........

he'll start

with Speed Work,

the Giveaway

is when

he does sit-ups in the infield,

and

then hits the Stadium Steps

a month later, you never see him again................I didn't want my buddy to be The Guy

==========

but I digress

........40-min on The Elliptical.......

Good Running to Ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Paul, awesome Paris run!

Sorry to hear about the Boston near-misses.

It's been raining all week (surprise) but today brought sunshine and cooler temps!!!  The roads have standing water in places and the riverbanks are covered in driftwood and debris from the incessant rains but I managed to get 21 miles on the bike done. Felt great to have an actual "Fall-like" day, finally.

Be safe. Be kind.

Joe618

Hey Steve P - if your company was willing to hire the idiot, just think who might be willing to hire you!  Good luck.

Falcon - I feel your pain.  I was 4:32 faster than my "qualifying time" (that wasn't).  So I really missed it by 20 seconds.  Eerily reminiscent of two years ago, when I qualified (but didn't) for 2016, missing the revised cutoff by 11 seconds. I thought I was good for 2019, under the assumption that fewer runners earned a qualifying time from the 2018 Boston race, due to the lousy weather.  Oh well.

I had to cancel my Boston hotel reservation last night.  That cost $20.  Think I can recharge the BAA?

I guess that frees up my spring 2019 marathon.  Any suggestions?

Ditto, Steve.   There is a real shortage of good folks out there...if you're good, you can find a good gig somewhere.  

I'm just so sorry for the near miss for you guys at Boston.   I wish I could have shared some of my extra margin with you both and we could have all gotten in.   Clearing out for just $20, though, is a bargain.   Count your blessings there.   Lots of other good spring marathons which you can now ponder.  

Love your summaries, Steve, thanks for the effort and good wit each morning.  

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

I had a very different type of Friday.   Have a lot of my wife's family in over the weekend, so I took Friday off from work to do the stuff I'd normally do on Saturday, including a long run.   Got in 20.2 miles on a Friday morning...went fairly well, I was encouraged as it was just five days after a marathon.   It was a perfect day to run, temps in the mid 50s, sunshine, no wind...wow, can we put that in a bottle??  Also fascinating to run on the usual route on a Friday, rather than a weekend.   Saw lots more activity, repair trucks, cars, talked to some guys pouring concrete (I did that while in college and appreciate the skill to do it well), saw a couple of friends...very enjoyable and different.  

I also did a lot of thinking about running (which I do while I run...surprise).   I read this article last night about the elevating standards for the Boston Marathon, starting with the 2020 qualifying times.   Made me feel very lucky to have qualified for the 2019 race and really wondered if I'll be able to qualify again.   Thankful I can go at least once.   I had hoped to get another BQ time, just in case, for the 2020 Boston.   Now I'm wondering how realistic that can be.   Things you think about while you run....

Last night, I also saw this video of the marathon I ran last Sunday.  Nice job capturing the vibe of the race.   Sobering, in that at 3:30 of the video, they captured me at mile 24.   Bad form, look like an old man shuffling along...ugh...not a pretty sight.   Will certainly need some serious work to even contemplate another BQ effort.

Ah, such a problem...so thankful to have my health and be able to walk out the door and run 20 miles.   That's the big thing.

Rock it, folks,

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

KSA - with an MRI that late, it would be easy for me to hold still - I would fall asleep...

PBJ - No!  Say it ain't so!  I still remember how you surprised me by showing up and pacing me in the last 5 miles of Boston 2008 when I had a bad side cramp - you were/are still my hero!

Joe - you are still way faster than I am...

Okay, so no run for me today (surprise) but I did manage a decent weights workout, in short breaks during my workday (working remotely by computer).  This means 125 stability ball crunches and 3 sets/20 each of 8 exercises.

DD drama at school.  She was walking across the lunch room and a boy's chair and bookbag were blocking her way.  When he would not move, she shoved his chair aside and scooted past.  He called loudly "Bit__" and then when she got in the lunch line he got up, came within 6 inches of her face, and began verbally assaulting her with loud insults/curse words.  A teach came and the boy had to be physically restrained as he screamed at DD. (Apparently the boy has some mental problems.)  DD was called into the principal's office and asked to stay there for her own safety because apparently the boy got away from the teacher and was on the loose.  DD's best friend came to the principal's office with her phone because the boy got her number and was threatening to kill her if he did not give him DD's phone number, showing the principal the series of threatening texts.  I hear all this from DD after school, and called the principal this morning because I was concerned about her safety.  The principal confirmed the facts and included me in a conference with DD that ended with DD being suspended for 3 days, along with her best friend.  Apparently DD has been rude to the boy in recent weeks, and is considered to have contributed to the attack.  Seriously?  DD is rude to everyone.  And the boy has 8 inches and 40 lbs on her.  (sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, Holly, never a dull moment with your DD, huh?  I hope they also suspended the boy.

Joe, I agree with you 100% that we're lucky to be able to go run 20 miles.  I did just that today - first 5 trail miles with a friend, followed by a short drive to another trail where I finished up 15 more miles.  It was chilly and foggy today, and I ran in a windbreaker, with gloves on and off several times.  The sun finally broke thru the fog when I had about 5 miles left, so I finished in a tee shirt.  I love running in cool weather - so much easier!

Bring on the weekend!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, short easy run this AM.  No Garmin, just the fitness watch (also from Garmin, but I wanted the steps).  Enjoyable to do that every now and again.  As for Boston, I've been (2013) and am good if I never get in again.  I'll try again if I qualify, but only if DW will come along.  Heck, we may just go as regular tourists....

PBJ, ouch!  I've missed by a minute (the old days when 3:20:59 counted as a 3:20) and by other close times....but not like yours!  So sorry.  I hadn't bothered trying to make reservations.  I was going to repeat what I did in '13 and stay in Dedham with a rental car and toll pass.

Joe, I appreciate the offer but glad we can't do that.  Ultimately we're all chasing our own goals.

Have a great night everyone!