Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 9.20.17 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (5.2 gorgeous morning bike path miles in upstate NY)
    Twocat (14 storm-free miles at quick 9:54 pace)
    Tramps (20 morning bike ride)
    Dave (3.1 almost-didn’t-happen, sproinky miles)
    Tet (5 just-missed-the-rain miles)
    Evanflein (5.4 miles in chilly, breezy 48° temps)
    Deeze (5 mile pre-work progression run with .2 cool down)
    Spacityrunner (2.3 nighttime/lunchtime [?] miles, later and faster than yesterday)

Tammy (3.2 nighttime miles, no ice cream)

Mariposai (6 amazing lunchtime miles)

Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles + 12 post-work bike miles with legs on empty)

Aaarrrg - I missed Stumpy’s Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Sounds like a great start to your day, KSA.

I hope you can get the surgery done this year, Tomwhite. You’ve waited long enough.

Good for you for invoking the sanity clause, HopesMom!

Twocat, I run at least once every 3-4 months - just enough to tie up my quads because they are so not used to running. Nice work on the quick 14 miler.

Tramps, I started that Facebook article, but had no time to even get through it. Maybe today.

That’s the secret, Dave - force yourself out the door, and you’ll rarely regret it.

Only 4 half gallons, Spacityrunner?

Sorry you missed the rain, Tet. Salted caramel ice cream - delicious! Salted caramel chips - not for me, thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the drone and 'Relive' vids from Equinox, Evanflein. Thanks for posting them.

Yikes! Be careful walking to work, Deeze - watch out for those signals and vehicles. Virtual challenges are supposed to be fun. The good thing is that if it ceases to be fun, or if it is just too dang challenging, one can just drop out - or not sign up again.

Spacityrunner, I also feel faster on workouts done in the dark - maybe I imagine I'm going faster because I can't see how slow I'm really going.

Twocat is an amazing guy, isn't he, Mariposai? Don't tell him - he'll get a swell head...

No workout for me today - I've been out too many days in a row and my legs need a break. Plus, the fringes of Jose are arriving, and it was a bit blustery and rainy out at 4 this morning.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all.  Yet another reminder to hug your loved ones today.  Found out from a dear friend from grad school that her brother died from a heart attack yesterday.  Not sure how old he was (my friend was a late-life surprise baby), but likely no more than 60.  So hug your loved ones, because you never know. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Nothing is guaranteed in life, that's for sure.  So sorry about that sudden death, HopesMom.

3.1 miles back at home.  It felt humid but it's done.   2 miles on the treadmill after work.   5.1 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

All my runs at the moment, seem to be of the forcing myself out the door variety .   but I made it today for a 3.1 lake loop plod.  First one in a while over 10mm.  But I blame the wind.  Not raining when I started, but at 99% humidity, almost hoped it would.  It soon turned to mist, then mizzle, and then something that uneducated folk might call rain.  But it couldn't have been, since we don't run in the rain.

Just found out that the electrical outage I'm part of tomorrow in CT will now start at 7am instead of the 10am I was expecting.  So, to avoid getting up and on the road at J o'clock, I'm trying to get my stuff together to head down tonight.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

''I hope you can get the surgery done this year, Tomwhite. You’ve waited long enough.''

.....thanks jay//......... I gotta do it, this way I'll be ready for Spring....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks!

I have been reading but seem to get called away before posting, and this morning I got caught up in Tramps' article.  I am super-busy at work, and am working evenings until I am sure I will make my September deadlines.  Hopefully this will add less stress to next week, if I can get caught up somewhat this week.

Anywhoo, again no time to shout out, just a quick post to say 7 miles for me this morning.

Carry on!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Stumpy, good thing you didn't run in the rain!  And I hear you about forcing yourself out the door - some days I feel like that too.

Today I did a slow 4 miles around my neighborhood - I'm feeling the altitude, after 5 days at sea level visiting the in-laws and parental units back east.   The aspen are starting to change here, and it's gorgeous!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wow, super duper light day. I wish I could add something deep here, but I have been tied up writing computer code all day. Even my DW is sort of amazed. I got up. Came down to fix a program. Figured it was a 30 minute job. Then I would use the elliptical. I sat in my chair working on it all morning. Then had lunch in front of my PC. Then stayed there until 5 when I finally got the thing going and got on the elliptical. Did a half gym workout after that. DW came home. We had dinner. I abandoned her to write some more code (so that the program would do something slightly different than what it was doing on another computer). Just finished! Computer code is running (please, please, please) on all four computer I have access to. Yea!

coastwalker that storm pretty much skipped us in CT in order to make it up to you. Not sure how a storm going from south to north does that but it seems to have managed that feat.

HopesMom so true about never knowing. Very sad.

stumpy77 do not feel bad. The rule has a sub-clause. It says that if you start and it is not raining you are good to go. If it starts raining while you are running you are permitted to then finish your run.

Holly S. good luck with your September deadlines. My SIL has a similar work schedule. Her critical date is the 20th of each month.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Then had lunch in front of my PC. ...... We had dinner.

This makes me so hopeful that you had REAL FOOD!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

twocat - maybe after three-and-a-half months of dry runs it'll change but I've never been that impressed with running rule number one.  However, whatever computer code rule you followed, I am very impressed.  How's Australia lookin'?

After two dry runs in a row since the rains supposedly came back to the PNW two days ago, I’m getting a little worried that, after a lifetime of running in the rain, I’ll end up like twocat and the rest of the rule no. 1’ers so, when this morning’s five mile ‘mute also turned out to be a dry one, I vowed to go back in the reverse this afternoon when more rain was predicted. Unfortunately, still no luck.  Dry as a bone.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 miles at lunch, 16 on the bike after work

This late summer return is just a touch too much

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

My 15 year old granddaughter, who plays on the varsity soccer team, texted me right before practice, today, asking me if I would meet her at the track to pace her in a mile run.  One of their lettering requirements is to run the mile under 7 minutes.  I knew she would have no problem beating that time but I agreed to meet her.  When I arrived, there were about 7 other girls that still needed to get their 7 minute mile.  So, I led them all around the track at a 7 minute pace and they all made it except for one.  Then I went to practice and ran 10 more miles that included 8 tempo miles.  It was a fun day.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Holly S. that is so sweet. But I alas no. Soup and a fish cake. I can eat the fishcake because it is soft. Made in part with mashed potatoes and flakes of fish.

tetsujin209 rules are rules! But for real, I just do not see anything positive about running in a rain storm.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Nice, Mike, good for you for helping those girls meet their goal. Hope the other one can do it, too.

Jay, good to realize you need a day off. I need to be better at that. I've got these dang mileage goals that get in the way of common sense though.

HopesMom, that is a wake up call, right? You just never know.

Yep, getting out there is half the battle most days. I know if I can convince myself to just get out the door and go 5 minutes, I'll probably keep going. If not? Well, it wasn't meant to happen that day.

Today I did get out there, although I almost didn't. The day started out well enough, but clouded over mid-day and then it rained. I can deal with a lot of things, but when rain, cool temps and wind all combine it makes me want to just stay in. But the wind stopped, the rain let up and it was just cool and damp out. Ok then. DH came by and picked up my stuff, and I headed off to run for home with the plan being that he'd pick me up at the bottom of our road to save me from the last 2 miles of uphill grind. The run went pretty well, although I hit the trail behind campus to avoid the construction on the road/bikepath I normally take, and turned my ankle (same one I turned on Saturday) just 1.6 miles into my run. Dang, that hurt, but after a few minutes, it was fine. Weird. Gotta figure out how to stop doing that! DH got stuck in some traffic and was a little late picking me up, but that's fine, I made it 8.66 miles and all fine. Nice to get a ride for that last 1.4 mile though...