Masters Running

Saturday, 11.28.15 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

The race I worked at on Thursday was fun - a new turkey trot with about 220 racers this year. I was out on the course, and it was good to see everyone having a good time.

Our relatives didn't arrive till late on Thursday, so we all went for a walk, had spaghetti squash lasagna for dinner and then we helped everyone get settled in. We cooked most of the day on Friday, , went for a walk down to the beach, and welcomed an additional guest (a friend of our niece who was in the area for the weekend), and sat down to a mighty feast in mid-afternoon. Later on, we worked on a jigsaw puzzle, and then all gathered around the table for some slam Uno. All good stuff...

4.7 easy miles this morning in balmy 53F temps and a little light rain. My hamstring is still not as happy as I'd like it to be, so I'm backing off for at least another few days to see what happens.

Have a greta Saturday, and enjoy your left-overs!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Worked 16 hours yesterday - stayed late to help out with staffing and to stay for a special delivery!! Arrived home around midnight to find youngest son and about 10 of his friends having a great time outside on the deck - 2 of the guys were home from the service on leave and it was nice to see them all hanging out!!

Slept in until 8 this morning then ran 2.2 miles in a light rain now back to work for an easy (hopefully) 8 hour shift!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

now back to work for an easy (hopefully) 8 hour shift!

Is that like an “easy” marathon.
        Next to the econo’s PR Christmas Marathon when I vowed never to run at sub-freezing temperatures again, yesterday’s second one featured slippery, frosty surfaces throughout that persisted in the shady parts of the Green River bike paths even after, at 10 a.m., that sun broke through what, for-all-practical-purposes, looked like ice-fog and warmed up the rest of the smooth, black pavements at little.
        Frosty shoulders (faster runners only), whitened beards and hairdo’s a’plenty.
        One mega-maniac even escaped home town rains in Texas for his sixth appearance in the Seattle Quadzilla of four marathons in a row over the Thanksgiving weekend.  Maybe nobody else is running this month down there either.
        After a fellow runner commented, “There’s something very wrong
        with running barefoot while wearing gloves and wool cap over your ears,”
        I decided to be nice to my feet and wear my marathon monk straw sandals

in tomorrow’s Seattle Marathon. They wear ‘em in snow over in Japan.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

After a fellow runner commented, “There’s something very wrong
          with running barefoot while wearing gloves and wool cap over your ears,”
          I decided to be nice to my feet and wear my marathon monk straw sandals

in tomorrow’s Seattle Marathon. They wear ‘em in snow over in Japan.

Brrrrr, Tet!  Sounds like some tough conditions.  Will you be able to wear those straw sandals with socks, at least?

We had lunch with my dad today for the first time in years (DH, DD, DS and I).  With my SM gone now, we may be slowly patching things up.

13 miles for me this morning in 42 degrees and steady rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, I hope you can start getting back with your dad now. Nice job on the turkey trot for you and your DD! Did you do a 5 mile? Wasn't sure the distance.

Gotta go back and find Amy's stork picture, I missed that earlier.

Nice ultra, Tet! I don't know that I'd want to wear straw sandals on snow/frost/ice but if it works for you, go for it. Have a good marathon tomorrow. The Seattle marathon is always special to me because that was my marathon maniac qualifying race back in 2007. I think the weather was about the best you could get for late November in Seattle!

Jay, sounds like a good way to do Thanksgiving... on Friday! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Mike had a huge gathering at his place for Thanksgiving, and they weren't even all there. Wow...

On Thanksgiving we hiked some trails for a couple hours before coming back to get cleaned up for dinner. Beautiful views and nice trail, even though it was pretty muddy. The day before we'd hiked the "Powerline Trail" and it was pretty rough, got very scratched up and muddy. Thursday's hike had some real jungle-like views of the valleys and mountains, we were up on a ridge for most of it with steep drops on either side. Been running every day here, sort of building up some runs before going back to snow. Today was 6.1 miles with a couple of stops for whale scouting (didn't see any). Saw some seals yesterday on our walk back from the beach, and saw a turtle resting on the beach too (walked right by him, thought he was a rock!).

Tet, I ran 2 (I know, at least I got out!) miles this cold morning --25 degrees.  While I ran, I told Herr Wegetarian about the Christmas marathon of 2005 (?), the only time I made it into the "more miles than degrees" club.  I wasn't so cold during that race, but I remember being violently cold afterwards.  Good times!  A goofy, happy memory.

Today was 6.1 miles with a couple of stops for whale scouting (didn't see any). Saw some seals yesterday on our walk back from the beach, and saw a turtle resting on the beach too (walked right by him, thought he was a rock!).

How cool to see seals, whales and turtles instead of dead deer in the back of pickups! Enjoy your time in Hawaii and suck up that warm weather!

I was so happy to read that you spent some time with your dad today Holly.  Saw your video on Facebook. Looked just like the Griswolds on "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"

Thanks for birthin' them babies Deez!

In cold weather, shoes (or socks) could be a good thing, Tet!

Really absent the last week.  Working and craft shows have kept me pretty busy.  I ran a turkey trot on Thanksgiving. 2nd in my AG. Oh wait - there were only 5 other women. The weather was miserable - a steady rain and about 37°  There were still around 3,000 crazy people out there. Then we watched the Packers play another pathetic game - but Brett Favre and Bart Starr were there for half time which was sooo cool. Not a dry eye in the house.  This morning I got up at 4:30 and ran 4 miles, then did a craft show. I hope some of you were able to support "small business Saturday" in some shape or form today. I know how hard I work, and I can't imagine trying to actually make a living wage doing this stuff.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!