Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 623 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Laurie, we got 8 inches of snow, then 2 1/2 inches of rain and 1/4-1/2 inch of ice! Or so they tell us. Ychh. NO WAY I could run outdoors today! It will probably be days before that's possible. So I dragged myself out the door to go to the Y. I REALLY didn't want to go. But I had one of my best runs ever! 5.1 miles in under an hour, and I felt like I was flying. I love it when that happens! I wish I could figure out the reason for it! Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Hope you all have a good one. Teresa
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

also a discussion of shoe mileage on the daily today. Laurie--I've tracked my shoe mileage ever since I started using the CR log (and now RA) with the miles that I put on, shoe replacement doesn't exactly sneak up on me. Wink i retired my last pair at 300 miles as much because I needed a pair of sneakers as because I thought they were worn out. i figured I'd rather spend my money on new running shoes than regular sneakers. the old shoes are more comfortable than any cross-trainer I've had. Jem--since I replace my shoes so infrequently, I have found for the second time that the model I've been using is outdated. Started with Brooks GTS 6, went to get new ones and all that was available were GTS 7's. Now the 8's are out. this time I feel comfortable enough with getting them again, I can still find the 7's on line and will be getting a new pair soon. I'm getting much too much practise at these cut-back weeks. hope I can start building mileage again. I will now reveal my secret wish race--DD's dance studio is going to Disney World over Columbus Day this fall. I have discovered that they are having a 10K through Epcot called taste of the world 10K. I'm really hoping that the girls' schedule doesn't have anything that I can't miss so I can be able to run it. And if I can run it, I want to do well in it. It appears to be a lot like the longer races there and times seem higher than most races around here. At the moment, it would be my 1st 10K and I would love to be able to go 55:00 or under. I'll keep you all posted. Kevin eta: teresa simultaneous posts for us--glad your run went so well. I admire anyone who goes over a couple of miles on the TM. those kind of runs don't happen all the time, so enjoy them when they do Smile and remember them when the stinkers come up (and they will)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

>>>I need new shoes and don't know what to do. My old shoes are discontinued. I fear change< there="" is="" a="" good="" article="" in="" this="" months="" runners="" world="" about="" shoes="" and="" running="" styles.="" it="" should="" help="" you="" find="" the="" right="" model.="" kevin,="" i've="" been="" to="" epcot="" twice="" in="" october.="" once="" for="" taekwondo="" fall="" nationals="" and="" once="" for="" the="" tower="" of="" terror="" 13k.="" i="" highly="" recommend="" that="" 10k.="" disney="" ran="" events="" are="" great="" fun="" plus="" people="" seem="" to="" love="" them.="" but="" sign="" up="" early="" since="" they="" fill="" up="" fast.="" maybe="" kim="" and="" i="" will="" join="" you.="" florida="" in="" october="" is="" such="" a="" nice="" break="" from="" new="" england="" brrr="" cold="" fall.="" well="" i="" />had good news to post today but I screwed everything up. My physical therapist gave me the ok to start running yesterday. She said a 1 mile run with plenty of stretching and warm up prior would be ok. My leg felt so good yesterday after PT that I could barely tell it was even injured. Then stupid me went to the pool for an easy half hour swim and woke up in such pain that it feels like I just injured it. So swimming of any kind is absolutely out for me until this thing heals completely. Kim is doing better. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Good morning Everyone, Laurie, I am sorry about the re-injury. That has to be frustrating. I have been told that I should expect to put between 300 and 500 miles on a pair of shoes, and that I'll feel it in my knees when they go bad. One thing that I did that helped when my first pair of shoes were at around 200 miles, is I bought some Spenco insoles and replaced the original insoles with those. They were incredible. It felt like I was walking on trampolines. The mini family reunion last week was great. I think my son got a different view of his aunts and uncles though. When he was younger, he was shielded from all of the "adult" conversations. This time he wasn't and I think he was a little dissapointed that everyone isn't quite as perfect as he had thought. I think the volume was a little louder than he is used to also. But, we still had a good time. On the trip home from Pittsburgh, we talked about my training, and he put together a new training regimen for me. He moved some of my running days around, added a speed session each week (he gave me two speed workouts that I'll alternate), and also added a circuit workout once each week. He called me last night to see how it's going and I had to confess that I hadn't done anything so far this week. Busted! So, next week I'm on the new routine with my new coach. There's alot going on at the Mike White house lately. Mostly having to do with job opportunities in NY and TN. I'll fill you in as I find out more. Cheers Mike

Me

Oh yea, I did run 4 miles this morning. It felt good to get out Mike
              Ran for the first time since Tuesday late this afternoon. Felt practically naked without two layers of shirts and/or a windbreaker! Didn't make me any speedier, though - 4.4 miles at the usual snail-like pace. Good news is that I walked much less than usual. Didn't take first walk break until after I ran 3.1 miles (unheard of for me!), and then only walked about 0.1 of the whole 4.4. Since my pace was about the same as when I mix in more walking, I'm going to experiment with walking less to see whether I can get better at maintaining a running pace that I can sustain. I'm re-reading parts of Chi running and trying to incorporate some of those ideas. This week's deal is "lift your legs." It seems to be helping. I feel like I'm moving more efficiently and might actually look more like a runner than a slogger. I've been a slacker about wearing the orthotics. I hardly had shoes on at all during the snow day Wednesday, and just didn't feel like dragging a change of shoes with all of the other junk I cart between the two schools yesterday and today. I will definitely get on track with them tomorrow. Laurie - sorry about the swimming aggravating your injury. Teresa - I know others routinely train lots o' miles on the dreadmill, but I still think your amazing for that dedication. Jem - I hear ya about fearing change. According to the newest Runners' World, both of my preferred brands of shoes have new models out. Kevin - the race at Epcot sounds awesome. Hope you can schedule it. I have a friend at work who's a members of Disney Vacation Club - she's going there this weekend - and I was telling her this afternoon how I'd like to do the WDW marathon for my 50th and that she should plan to come cheer for me. (Maybe if I mention that in a public forum enough times I'll actually have to do it?!?) Mike - any time I hear the words "job" and "opportunity" together, I think it's a good thing. Hope these represent good possible moves for you. It's cool that you son set up a training plan for you. Heading to the shore for most of the three-day weekend. One of my 5th graders asked me today what there could possibly be to do there in the winter. I told her - smell the ocean and listen to the waves, but they didn't seem too interesting to her. Then I added "hang out with my friends that I only get to see when I'm there" and she thought that was pretty cool. I thought it would be less than politically correct to add: forget about all of the insanity here at school the moment I cross the bridge! Big grin Have a great weekend, everyone! Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

I'm rediscovering the pleasures of walking as cross-training as I transition to running with the orthotics. It gives me time to actually concentrate a little more on my surroundings, and I took a little break for a very pleasant visit with a neighborhood kitty this morning during my 1.5 mile walk. Was going to run 2 after, but I'm a little sore from yesterday and am anxious to get on the road to the shore. Will do a long run on the boardwalk Big grin tomorrow. A woman who lives two buildings over from me stopped me to ask my name this morning and it turns out we went to school, all the way from K-12, together. (People always recognize me before I recognize them. I don't know if it's because I'm clueless or because I'm aging so gracefully and still look 16?!?) We've been living about 100 yards from one another for almost two years and just figured it out today. It made me sad to think how isolated we can be in suburbia, but also felt kind of neat to have a renewed connection to my community. Looked back over my log for the past 2 or so months and realized that, although I'm being consistent with monthly mileage, I've only run 3x/week for the past several months. I'm going to make it a goal to add a fourth day, without significantly increasing mileage, starting this week. Hope that doesn't bring on a late-season blizzard that forces me to the gym! LOL Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

btb1490

Eliz, I so agree with you about the walking. By slowing down and looking around, you realize there is so much to see out there that we normally miss because we are so focused on our running. And walking really does help maintain your running fitness, and also makes a nice way to warm up and cool down before your runs. And isn't it great to say you are sore from your runs again? Smile

Me

Hello Everyone, Eliz, sounds like you are enjoying running. Neat. I ran 8 miles this morning. I'm starting on my new running schedule. It acutally has me running fewer days and fewer miles/week, but adding the circuit training and the speed work. We'll see how it goes. Cheers, Mike
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think the reduced walking that I've had lately with Max due to travel and weather has contributed to my sundry aches and pains. Have to get out more often--better for Max AND me. Smile so we had a nice stroll along the lake this afternoon. whenever we do get out in daylight hours, Max gets a lot more revved up than during our normal evening walks, maybe more people around? He knows they;re only out to see him. Wink DD and DW are away for the weekend at a dance convention/training. So it's guys weekend while they enjoy the weekend at a hotel and dinner at Cheesecake Factory tonight. Of course DS will be working until 10:30, but I'm enjoying the new cable and checking everything out. I made my mom's chicken divan recipe for dinner tonight (not the fancy kind, this uses canned soup, but still very good) DS says"are you sure you can do that--maybe wait for Mom to do it? Told him I always used to make it. Don't think he believes me, but I'm sure he'll eat a big chunk of it when he gets home. good runs for Mike and Eliz. Both of you are doing well. Laurie--sorry to hear that you've re-aggravated your leg. Hi to everyone else. Especially Deb--where you hiding? Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The forecasters said it was going to be brutally cold and windy today, so I told my kids I'd take them to the Y so that they could swim while I ran on the treadmill. When we headed out, I was MAD because it wasn't windy or even that cold! Angry I couldn't go back on my promise, so I just stuck with the plan. It wasn't busy at all, so I made it 7.1 miles on the TM in 1:24:19, another distance / time record for me. I guess I'm getting used to feeling like a hamster on a wheel, lol. I did the extra 0.1 mile because DH said the farthest he's ever run was 7.0 miles. Evil grin Kevin, that Disney 10K sounds fun! I would love to run there one day. Eliz, good luck with adding another day of running each week. I went from 4 days to 5 by just doing 1 mile at first. That went well, so I kept going up. This week I did 3.1, 5.1, 5.1, 3.2, and 7.1, for a total of 23.6 miles. It didn't seem bad at all! Next week I will back off since I have done a lot the past 4 weeks in a row. Besides, we're going to join some friends at a condo at Sugarbush (Vermont) for three days of skiing. I love school vacation week! Teresa
                        dg.

good morning -) no time to catch up right now, just saying hi. thanks Kevin. it just gets hard to post about the same old things. of course, if it was the same old runs, I could handle that! hi btb! my new plan is just to ignore injuries & plow ahead this week. whadya think? ok, it's just a tentative plan. more later.
                          Rindaroo

Debbie - you're just trying to get me out of lurkmode aren't you???? you know what I'm gonna say, I don't even need to say it, do I? Thanks for the email & the link the other day Hi everyone! Confessions here - I haven't run in weeks or any other exercise - 3 I think. Between the cold & the forcing myself to exercise, the bronchials were taking a toll.. Interesting thing, the bronchials have been getting better... I think with the new meds, its allowed it to heal some without running (that was not the case with the old meds - I had to run or I'd get sicker). I didn't take my meds for 3 days straight & was waiting to see how long I could go without feeling it... so just took the meds this morning. it used to be I could barely make it through 1 day. It was warm & beautiful the last couple of days Smile I've had a sick kid, other school related stuff with the other kids, visiting relatives, and a stressed out me lately. So, just taking it one day at a time. I do want to get back to running, but I need to figure out how not to stress the bronchials doing that. Any suggestions? Am seriously thinking about starting out with the gym first to build up my muscles, and teeny bits of walking running... really need to not run til its stays warm like it was this weekend... I think its just the smart thing to do. Linda
                            dg.

Linda. heh. it worked. Big grin that is very cool that you were able to go 3 days without your meds. very hopeful in the long run. Re running & exercise. Remember one of my running books compares our energy to a pie? (just what I need) We only have so many slices. You have been overdrawn, my friend. I'm not sure about the bronchials, will think about that (like I have the other things..) but otherwise, I agree. add a little, whatever & whenever you can, & just build on it. This is something you do to be good to yourself, so don't get in a punishment mode. You'll be back to overtraining in no time. -).
                                Linda, I would start out with easy cardio exercises at the gym first. Then move up to treadmill then running. Didnt you say that swimming helped too? You could try pool running too. Or water aerobics. Eventually make i outside to walking and then run walking. I think there is a good return to running program on coolrunning. Kevin, I checked out the Disney 10k yesterday. There are a lot of other races there that sound fun too, like the womens tri and the muddy buddy. Kim and I are considering the Minnie Marathon but we might not be ready to run by then and might end up doing the 10k. Did you see the Everest Challenge? What the heck is that all about? Deb, did you run? How did it go? I did a rather pathetic 1 mile today on the treadmill. Just as the physical therapist said, I warmed up, stretched, ran only a mile at a slow pace, then stretched again. Both legs are a little stiff but no pain. So far so good. Will attempt another 2 pathetic miles tomorrow outside if its not too cold. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.