Masters Running

Sun 8/30 Runs - Workouts - or What Not (Read 361 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning---- Boy, the happy pills the ER gave me makes me feel a lot better (Holly yes, I will save a few - grins) Up "fairly" early and getting ready to go for another ride this morning. I think we are riding around 75 miles and it will be a little slower and easier than yesterday. I think I will be ok as long as I don't put too much pressure on my left shoulder, and ease into the ride. Oh yeah, I guess you would have to read last nights daily to know I / we had a pretty bad accident Cycling yesterday-----Burr, it's only 50 degrees right now which is perfect for running, but chilly for cycling, but will get warmed up after a while. And yes.........I WILL be careful I promise, OK. ---- Hope everyone has a Great Day no matter what you are doing! ---- TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Morning Tim!  You do sound like you are being cautious -- I wish you a successful recovery.  They do come, eventually!

Out pretty early to fit in my 12 miler. Went fine. I hurt.  Normal hurt -- did a progression mostly as called for by the plan, 'cept I added some recovery time at the end. Have to sit in the car for 3+ hrs driving today...thought a bit of a cool down v. hard stop might be prudent.

Have a great one everybody. I gotta hit the showers.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tim, cycling spills scare me.  They happen so quickly and out of the blue sometimes.  That accident sounds horrendous!  Are you sure you have a separated shoulder?  Did the Dr. tell ya that?  Be very careful with those.  I hope your friend recovers well.

Smart move Nono.  Hard stops are not smart.

4 easy recovery paced miles this morning.  Avg HR 123.  57 miles for the week.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tim - are you sure you should be riding this morning after a concussion, separated ribs and sternum? It sounds like you should be in the hospital, not on a bike! Be careful out there today.

Nono - 12 miles followed by a 3 hour car drive? You are one brave woman. Nice going out there.

57 miles for Bill this week. Wow. I was feeling pretty good because I've hit 30 for 3 weeks in a row. You are running very well.

7.5 miles this morning in lovely 47° temps with a little wind out of the northwest. A "gentle" reminder that the cold weather will not be far away. First time in a long-sleeved shirt for a while, but the run felt good. A 9:10 pace even with one walk break in there.

We're having grilled corn on the cob, zucchini casserole and steak for dinner tonight. Do you think my run burned off the calories I'll be taking in later? Probably not.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

Slo

Good morning gang.

Tim, looks like I got to go back and check out yesterdays thread.

Nice week Bill and Jylnne !

Great weather for running here this morning. 52 degs with a stiff breeze. 20.25 miles 7:57 pace OA AVG

Splits; 10.89 miles at 8:12 and next 9.36 miles at 7:38 avg pace.

It's been a Bob Seger theme week for me. I started the week singing Night Moves with I woke Last night to the sound of thunder.......and this morning I was singing....Against the wind. If I ever start running with an Ipod I'll have to include those in my playlist.

It's been an awesome training week for me and I wish everyoe here the best.

Great Running Masters !

wildchild

Carolyn

Tim, I read your post from last night and thought of this quote:

“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
              intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
              preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
              chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body
              thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
              “WOO HOO what a ride!”

Hope you're not too sore today. I'd tell you to take it easy, but I don't think that's likely.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

18 miles this morning on top of 36 during the week has me caught back up, I hope.  54 miles for the week total, most of them pretty darn slow including today.

JLynne - I wll be thinking of your little Leo and his parents.  I can't imagine the worry, but it looks like they will be in good hands.  Will you be going down to Milwaukee for all of this?

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

20.3 miles, 3:03:20, 9:02/mi, AHR 153 (78% MHR)

I was going for a progression run, then when I turned back 5 miles out, (how are these for excuses? Smile ) I realized it was all uphill, into the sun, with the wind (no wind to cool me off) and on the sunny side of the street.

5@9:09(144), 10@8:50(152), 5.29@9:19(162)

I'm in good company with Bill -- 57 miles this week for me, too.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim – ouch!

Bill - nice week!

Nono - I don't envy you that drive.  I was sitting here complaining to myself about the nearly 2-hour round trip drive for me later, when I take DS to his soccer game, but yours is worse.

IRC for this morning’s run, with temps ranging from 54-62.  The FIRST plan called for 20 miles @ 9:05.  I didn’t expect to actually hit that target, but figured I’d start out at a brisk pace, throw in as many goal-MP miles in the middle, and try to stay fairly strong to the end.  Here’s how it went:

5 miles @ frisky-brisky pace (9:21, 9:05, 9:16, 9:09, 9:08)

11 miles at goal MP (8:45) or better (ave was 8:40)

4 miles slowing down (9:06, 9:17, 9:31, 10:23)

(This is not counting potty/hydration stops.  Dg - I consider it my prerogative to break to drink in a comfortable fashion on my training runs, and I don’t count that in my running time.  I’ll save that “splash it all over my face and shirt” carp for the races)

20.05 miles in 3:00 (totally by chance ending on that even number), ave pace 8:59.  This is by far the fastest running time I’ve ever had for a 20-mile training run.  I think the closest I've come is something like 9:48 ave pace before.

OMG – I just realized I was faster than WRFB today!  But he probably doesn’t stop his Garmin for water breaks…

DH came down with the flu last night, looks to be the intestinal variety, with repercussions at both ends of the spectrum, if you know what I mean.  Wimpy wife that I am, I slunk off and slept in DD’s room, thinking, “just let me get my 20-miler done before I get it.” 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

DG  thanks for more info...oozzing gels...yuck!  But now I want to hear more about the water stops

Erika some of my greatest arguments are with myself

No arguing with myself today as I woke to 72F and .....58% humidity...wow!  But true to form I fiddled around and by the time i got out the door it was 80F and 48% humidity.  The sky was the color of blue that I had not seen in many days...air was fresh and it was easy to breath...so I did 6.1 in 1:15ish...I crashed on the last mile, hr was too high and I was barely shuffling.  But rememebering that the goal was to get the time on my feet, I did not despair.  all in all a pretty good run for me today.

NIce long runs for the beers today...

I want to have dinner at Jlynnes

Slo...I love those Bob Seger tunes...I need to make sure they are loaded on my shuffle

I went on a tour of the White house last night...the East Wing...we (the USA) have some very lovely things...

Good runs and good day everyone

Trails Rock!

Hi, back from vacation and sounds like I need to read some previous threads to figure out what Timbo has done to himself now!

I only did one run in San Diego, they had unseasonably hot weather while we were there  so the kiddies were complaining (I was inwardly complaining) during the endless walking in the direct sun at the theme parks etc.  Zoo day was awful, I swear it was into the 90's in some of the areas.  I saw people out running at noon, in the 90 degree heat, incredible.  I ran at dawn, 100% humidity and about 72F and it felt pretty sucky.  I think the trick is to run at dusk when the humidity is a lot lower and the temperatures not much higher.  I could never live there, too much sun and heat for this northerner.  Although sipping margaritas by the poolside was difficult to complain about   .

Today PNW weather of 57F and 100% humidity, but what a difference.  I felt great the whole time, only 3.25 miles.  I will try to ramp up my mileage now that the runs are feeling better and target a 5K in October, but it will be just for fun and not to race, as my pace is still extremely slow.

HOLLY!! 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tim--not that I ever had much doubt, but your definition of cautious and mine don't overlap a whole lot.    I think I sort agree with Jlynne about the hospital.  Don't think the happy pills have fixed things.  Need to remember their effect is "Yah, it hurts, but I don't really give a $h*t." .  Wishing you a speedy recovery, nonetheless.

First run below 60º in quite a while.  It felt really good.  5.5 mile at about 10 minute pace, except for the last 1/2 mile when I got my "you haven't been diong your quad exercises warnign" knee ache.  One of these days it will become a habit and I won't wait until my knee reminds me .    <WHINE>Stoopid HRM was doing its wacko recording by dropping down to below 70 .  I stopped, took off my shirt, put it on my back, nothing.  it didn't start working again until i spit on it agian and it seemed happy.  It's getting frustrating not to get the accurate data to track if I'm actually getting a little more fit. <WHINE OFF>

Very nice long runs for Nono, Jlynne, and the Beers. 

ETA:  Add Holly, Liz and Enke who chimed in while I was slowly typing, to the nice run list.  Also--Jlynne:  that's mostly veggies, no worries about calories

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Quick post, gotta rest. 2 miles with dogs then 21 miles of big hills in 3:24:19 (9:43 pace at 68-75°).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

OMG – I just realized I was faster than WRFB today!  

Smile

(Nice run!)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

This is my first post since Tuesday as I've been sort of busy.  After my morning run on Wednesday, we took off and I went to see a high school buddy.  We got home Friday evening and yesterday morning I ran in a small, 5K in my little town of Kingston (population 300+).  This was a new event in our annual "Kingston Days" celebration.  I did better than expected with a pace of 8:44.  After the race, I did another 3.9 miles at a pace of 9:38 to give me 7 miles for the day.  After that run, we went to a wedding to take up the rest of the day and evening.

I've read through the days since my last post and will try to catch up.  rs, nice speedy 2 mile race.  henrun, I hope your knee problem is better.  deez, good job on the races you did (CC relay and trail race).  evan, I hope the discomfort from your root canal is over, or at least better.  Sarge, I hope your new work assignment goes well.  evan, nice job on the muddy trail race.  jlynne, my best wishes for baby Leo and family.  bike, that sounds like a real nasty bike pileup with injuries to you and your friend.  Why am I not suprised you are embarking on a 75 mile ride today.  I hope you don't aggravate any of your injuries.  lame, happy birthday to your son.  Also, I'm sorry to hear your foot is still a problem.

Nice long runs for CNY (with speedwork), WRFB, Walt, evan, breger (with speedwork), perch, PBJ (planned 14 turned into 23 due to a wrong turn), holly, Tramps, deez, CNY (another one with speedwork), mari, CNY (and another one), rs, dg (you're looking good in your marathon training), breger, fatozzig (a tough run), wild, nono, SLO, PDR, and WRFB (another one).  Good job on the speedwork for mari.

As a sidelight on yesterday's race, this morning in church, one of the youngish (30 something) members brought up the race.  In mentioning some of our church goers who participated, he said "Bernie and Tom did a good job of representing the older generation".

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS