Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 2.17.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good snowball, snow fall run, Slo.

Congrats on getting back outside for a run, Jlynne. Good luck with finding a new shoe (sorry I can't help much with that).

It has been 15 years since my last marathon, Aamos, so I can't comment on strategy/pacing. I'm glad you enjoyed the overnight rain (great sound to sleep to), and that it cleared out in time for your 10K run yesterday. You'll be on your best behavior on Saturday? Hmm... 

I'm sorry you were trailer-stuck in NJ, Stumpy. But at least you finally got lunch!

Sorry about the slush run, RCG. Great story about Stretch and the Bundt cake! I'd also like to hear how Twokitty is doing.

It sounds like it was a good day for you and Annie, Tammy. Enjoy 'em while you've got 'em.

You sure are getting in a lot of walking miles, TomS. Good for you for keeping moving while recovering from the eye surgery.

Looks like a great run with the Dirt Divas, WC.

Hi LaT! Have fun getting out for a run again.

Good job on the speed work, Mike!

An all-day meeting, Tet? "Yikes" is right!

I'm sorry about DD's fall, Starr, and hope she's OK. I'm glad she is making some progress, and that you'll be pushing her to make more. Good job with the sweaty Scottish spin.

Few things worse than 2 Mondays in a row, Mariposai.

I'm glad yesterday's 6.4 felt good, Evanflein, especially with the ankle and all.

QUESTION: Do you use an online race calendar to see what is coming up in your region? If so, what site do you use? CoolRunning used to be the 'go-to' site here in New England, but they've now started listing only those races that use their online registration platform (CoolRunning is owned by Active). So a lot of races can't get listed there anymore. Short-sighted move on their part.

This morning, we have our kick-off planning meeting for our October 5K, and this evening we are meeting to review the beneficiary applications for this year's Seacoast Half Marathon. Choosing the beneficiary each year is always one of our toughest tasks because we get applications from a bunch of local non-profits that all do great work. It'll be interesting to see how the process plays out this evening.

5.8 RW miles in 33F temps this morning. It had rained most of the night, but stopped a few hours before I headed out. Still, there was some skim ice on the road that made for slick going. I had to slow down for ice a few times, and almost went down once. So not a great workout, but I was still glad to be out there.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad you stayed vertical, Jay.  Always nice to get an additional HR boost.  I usually start with CR to look, and then expand to a general Google.

Mike, your post brings to mind a song for some reason--Get me to the church on time?

another whopping 1.5 miles on the TM at the hotel this morining.  Still don't like it, but am finding that I'm at least going faster on them than I used to.  Actually made it up to 7 MPH.

Welcome back to running, Kirsten.  Glad you're back on the road again.  And speaking of looking for races, have you heard anything about the schedule for SUS?  Haven't been able to find anything yet.

Have to go watch my electricians set a 15KV switch assembly, then meeting(s).  Joy, Joy.  But it keeps me in running shoes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Hiya Folks

Jay, we have a couple very active running clubs that keep a website for all of the regional races. They provide links to the races websites and provide the RD's email.

For others I just do a general web search.

6.71 miles. Slow pace...still building my mileage back up. Dry roads.

Thanks Jay and Kevin ... yep I am back at it. There are some groans and moans, but it is a beautiful day and my new shoes feel spectacular! My general plan is ...

Monday – BurRun – SRR Club Run

Tuesday - off

Wednesday – 3 to 5 miles (BikePath)

Thursday – speed or hills (4 miles)

Friday – off

Saturday – 3 to 5 miles (Charles River)

Sunday LSD (6 – 12 miles)

Okay races ... I also used CoolRunning, so am disappointed to hear about their new approach. I know that SRR has races listed on their calendar and I wonder if other running groups do as well. As for SUS - I have not heard anything yet, but I will get on it.

Happy Trails!!!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

43F

calm

Just a bread and butter run. 4 miles with Tricia, Marty, Jane, and Ralph.

Then into the rec center for a bit of core and balance. Then shower. Then 0700 mass. Then to Wawa for a coffee. Then to Howard's to get an oil change for Big Blue. Mom picked me up and took me home. Stretch will take me back to Howard's when the car is ready.

Jay, I usually choose my races by word of mouth. The rocket scientist uses MarathonGuide.com I haven't been back to Cool Running since they sold out to Active.

Starr, I was happy to read that your DD is getting out and how great that she is playing the piano for a high school musical!

LaTortuga, there are plenty of races to choose from in Reston... please join us!  I think a train or plane makes a straight shot from Boston to DC.  We'll pick you up in Alexandria.

I tried to email the Beers to join us but, have not heard back. Perhaps I used outdated addresses.

Stumpy, if you are a physicist's dorky cousin, what is a chemical engineer? DS1 will be a bona fide chem. E in May. Any suggestions for employment for the lad?

WildChild, lovely photo! Looks like spring time.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

mrrun

Jay - we use a collection of sites including running clubs like framingham & Lstreet as well as the NE runner annual calendar

LaT - let's run once we're back in the frigid north - in < 2 weeks 

another 8 miles through neighborhoods and the local nature preserve.  it was so foggy this morning, you couldn't see across the street and then the sun came out and burned it off.  amazing how quickly the changes.  also last night there was a brilliant sunset but it couldn't be captured by the iPhone camera

happy runs and walks,

marj

mta:  buerhle - any races around may 26 w/e?  we're staying in the DC/takoma park area

Stumpy, I need to force myself to do a few TM runs. Why are they so hard? La Tortuga, nice to see you posting and running again.  Marj, sounds like you are enjoying nice weather in Florida.

Jlynne – I have always worn Brooks Adrenaline, have tried a few other names but kept coming back to these. However, the last pair I tried was a cushioned shoe called Transcend and I really like them a lot. They are called “Brooks most cushioned shoe in their line”. Sierra Trading Post has them for $89.95 but I’d sign up for their DealFlyers and wait for a coupon.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooks-transcend-running-shoes-for-women~p~8650w/?filterString=s~brooks-shoes%2Fsizefamily~shoe%20size%3B9%2Fshoes~d~4%2Fspecdataor~style%3Brunning%2F&colorFamily=03

Race calendars, ha! I run about one race a year so just usually do the local Turkey Day 10K. I have picked a few destination races to coincide with camping trips.  There is a Minnesota website I have looked at, but it seems incomplete.   I signed up for a newsletter at Halfmarathons.net  recently. The destination races look wonderful, but no time or money for any more this year.  I add them to my Outlook Calendar with a recurring event, just in case we get a chance to get away.

Good running all,

Starr

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five slightly breezy jogalalking miles under brightening grey and blessedly dry skies.

RACE CALENDARS

I pretty much run the same standard races over the year but regularly check the Marathon Maniacs Calendar to be sure I won’t be the only back-of-the-packer. Except for the old standbys over-the-years, I never run half marathons and pretty much avoid all shorter races as too costly per mile for the maximum exercise per buck I seek.
                  Race calendars (all searchable by state, date, distance, etc.)
                  A. Marathons / ultras
                  www.marathonmaniacsdb.com/Maniacs/UpcomingRaces.asp

B. marathons
                  www.marathonguide.com
                  C.  Half Marathons
                  www.marathonmaniacsdb.com/halffanatics/HFUpcomingRaces.asp 
                  D. Fun runs (all distances)
                  www.ontherunevents.com/events.php
                  maybe wildchild konws an ultra calendar.

ps -- According to my legs,

TomS's 14m/m recovery running

(compared to his 10m/m racing),

is not walking, . . ,

. . . . is it?.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

buehrle - any races around may 26 w/e?  we're staying in the DC/takoma park area

Hi Marj and Henry,

The kids live in Alexandria now. (We are about 3 hours south and east from them)

I am unsure if we will run this Half marathon and 5K because it is a week before Casper Wyoming.  And I am unsure how far it is from Tacoma Park but, it looks like a nice race.

What do you think?

RCG

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

...nice running LT//.....just don't do too much too soon.......

============

hitting that time of year

where I am soooooooooo sick of Winter........

yeah,

it's mild for some of you, but like a Disfunctional Family it's Relative....

...60-min HHW in 30s that felt like 20's

hey,

65-degrees this week end

NEVER MIND..

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

What would you do? Hip flared up again after 1 treadmill run (5 miles). Took a full week off running. Felt no pain so decided to try a run. Hip flared up again. Not too bad but definitely some pain. Marathon is 5 weeks out. Would you take another week off or continue with the training plan?

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Mornin' everyone.

Good snowball, snow fall run, Slo.

Congrats on getting back outside for a run, Jlynne. Good luck with finding a new shoe (sorry I can't help much with that).

It has been 15 years since my last marathon, Aamos, so I can't comment on strategy/pacing. I'm glad you enjoyed the overnight rain (great sound to sleep to), and that it cleared out in time for your 10K run yesterday. You'll be on your best behavior on Saturday? Hmm... 

I'm sorry you were trailer-stuck in NJ, Stumpy. But at least you finally got lunch!

Sorry about the slush run, RCG. Great story about Stretch and the Bundt cake! I'd also like to hear how Twokitty is doing.

It sounds like it was a good day for you and Annie, Tammy. Enjoy 'em while you've got 'em.

You sure are getting in a lot of walking miles, TomS. Good for you for keeping moving while recovering from the eye surgery.

Looks like a great run with the Dirt Divas, WC.

Hi LaT! Have fun getting out for a run again.

Good job on the speed work, Mike!

An all-day meeting, Tet? "Yikes" is right!

I'm sorry about DD's fall, Starr, and hope she's OK. I'm glad she is making some progress, and that you'll be pushing her to make more. Good job with the sweaty Scottish spin.

Few things worse than 2 Mondays in a row, Mariposai.

I'm glad yesterday's 6.4 felt good, Evanflein, especially with the ankle and all.

QUESTION: Do you use an online race calendar to see what is coming up in your region? If so, what site do you use? CoolRunning used to be the 'go-to' site here in New England, but they've now started listing only those races that use their online registration platform (CoolRunning is owned by Active). So a lot of races can't get listed there anymore. Short-sighted move on their part.

This morning, we have our kick-off planning meeting for our October 5K, and this evening we are meeting to review the beneficiary applications for this year's Seacoast Half Marathon. Choosing the beneficiary each year is always one of our toughest tasks because we get applications from a bunch of local non-profits that all do great work. It'll be interesting to see how the process plays out this evening.

5.8 RW miles in 33F temps this morning. It had rained most of the night, but stopped a few hours before I headed out. Still, there was some skim ice on the road that made for slick going. I had to slow down for ice a few times, and almost went down once. So not a great workout, but I was still glad to be out there.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Thanks for posting the coolrunning info. Yeah I was wondering what the heck. Still trying to find out dates for Walter Childs marathon if anyone knows.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Nice long runs for wild (neat picture, too) and Mike.  For races, there's a running club that I belong to that posts quite a few.  There's also a website for races in Michigan that's pretty complete.

I got in two walks again today.  This morning, it was 3 miles on the TM at a 13:45 pace and this afternoon, my Ice Trekkers and I did 3 miles outside at a 13:42 pace.

Tomorrow, we're off to Ludington to see my mother, sister, and brother in law.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

Hi Marj and Henry,

The kids live in Alexandria now. (We are about 3 hours south and east from them)

I am unsure if we will run this Half marathon and 5K because it is a week before Casper Wyoming.  And I am unsure how far it is from Tacoma Park but, it looks like a nice race.

What do you think?

RCG

We're probably not going to race, but we'll have to figure out a meet-up some how.  I'll message you separately.

spent today among magnificent orchids

marj

What would you do? Hip flared up again after 1 treadmill run (5 miles). Took a full week off running. Felt no pain so decided to try a run. Hip flared up again. Not too bad but definitely some pain. Marathon is 5 weeks out. Would you take another week off or continue with the training plan?

Laurie

.........Would you like any advise from someone who answered these same questions Wrong???

X-rays are cheaper than a Hip Replacement

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....