Masters Running

The day when a dream of 34 years came true… a New York City marathon RR (Read 322 times)

Mariposai

Short version: At age 12 I once saw a one minute coverage of the NYC marathon in my home country, at that time I told my family that I would run there someday. That was a daring dream on my part, especially since I did not even know where on earth NYC was…but nothing is too daring or too difficult for a child, right? This proclamation and my dream were always tucked away in the deepest part of my dream bank and it came back to surface when I was accepted this year to run the 2009 NYC marathon.

Finish time: 4:11:54.Not a PR, but my second best marathon.

AG: 471/1,803. Women Overall: 4,341/19,135 Women Overall: 19,193/43,475

Fashion report: Marathon Maniac singlet, black skort, butterfly earrings, red toe and fingernail polish, and red door perfume and no butterfly wings.

Goals: 1-sub 4 hours (it is always the dream, right?)
    2- 4:15 (to get my second best marathon)
    3- 4:30 so I can see my name printed in the NY Times (all finishers under 4:30 get their name and finish time printed on the Monday edition of the NY Times).

The long story (warning: extra long report, enter here with time and your comfort food)

New York City is a city of neighborhoods and part of the magic of the ING New York City Marathon is that on one day of the year, one event unites dozens of different enclaves that are touched by the marathon route. On Marathon Sunday, New York is one continuous 26.2 mile block of party. Residents, which on any other day of the year do not even make eye contact with the passer bys, on marathon day they embrace the race with unbridled enthusiasm. From Brooklyn’s Bay Ridge to Manhattan’s Upper West Side, in Sunset Park, Williamsburg, Long Island City, Yorkville, the South Bronx, Harlem, the Upper East Side, and Central Part, crowds throng the sidelines and cheer themselves hoarse. They sure take pride in making each runner feel like the focal point of the race. For 4 hours and eleven minutes I ran the streets of this magical city and every second of it I felt like I was the “queen of the party”. Their shouts, high fives, smiles, music and signs carried me through the miles often resulting in tears of joy. They even made me feel like I was making history by simply running in their presence.

Before the race:
    Paul and I arrived in NYC on Thursday before the race; we spent Friday with Hally sightseeing and shopping (on Macy's 6th floor and on a 5th Ave store to purchase my new fancy wings). On Saturday afternoon we met up with some Kick and RA friends for carbo-loading. What a pleasure to meet Alex, GGPRunner, and Karin for the first time.

After a delightful dinner at a neighborhood Italian restaurant in the company of Hally, Winejuky and the Canadian.

I started panicking about not waking up the next morning…to ease my anxiety we went searching for a store to purchase an alarm clock. Leave it to WJ to know the best places to shop, he lead us to the right store. Thanks WJ and Betty Lou for allowing us to spend the night in your lovely dwelling. You guys are angels. With an alarm clock tacked under my wings we returned to their home base, saw them off for a night in the big city.

and feeling a bit jealous of them, I set my alarm for 4 am. I then set up my race day necessities and was sound asleep before 9pm.

I slept soundly and I was ready for the challenge of the day when the alarm went off. I got dressed, walked to catch a taxi to take me to the Central Library where I was to catch the bus that would take me to the starting line.
    When I stepped outside I verified with my own eyes that NYC indeed is a city that never sleeps.

Almost the same “sea of people” that we see in the day time were out at night as well, what a shocking surprise was this to this rural lady who does not see a soul on the street past 11pm. Of course this was Halloween night and the city dwellers and their visitors were having a blast partying.

I arrived at the bus station and found that I was the second runner there…everyone else must have remembered to change their clock the night before. I welcomed this quiet morning to go inwardly, envision the execution of the plan in my head and drank on the busyness of the streets around me. I later spent time visiting with the other runner who showed up early, who happened to be from Honduras and running his second race ever. The place was slowly invaded by other runners; they herded us on to the bus and took us off to Staten Island for race day. Before I forget, I would like to give kudos to the organizers and volunteers of this race. The precision in which they executed every segment of the race is commendable.

It was raining when we got to Staten Island. We were greeted with smiling volunteers and staff who directed us to our corrals (or armadas for the Spanish speakers, as I found out later). There were around 15 runners in my corral who took this early bus and each one of us where Spanish speakers from different parts of the Americas and Europe. Most of them were so ill prepared for the long, wet and cold wait that awaited us until the starting time. I followed the advice of a fellow runner and took plenty of warm clothing with me and then some to the point that I was able to share my jacket with my new found Honduran friend who was almost becoming hypothermic. We all soon settled under our black bags that were provided to a few of us by another runner who came prepared and went to sleep until 8:30. When I woke up I found myself sandwiched with people from all races, ethnic groups and languages…what an experience that was for a linguist like me.

When it was time for me to line up, I walked to the starting line and tried to get to the 4:00 pacing group. After ten minutes of trying to join the pacing group I decided to stop wasting energy and just stayed put were I was. The wall to wall carpet of runners made it impossible to move. Slowly we walked to the starting line as we listened to Mayor Bloomberg, who, by the way, won his third election and earns a hefty one dollar a year as a mayor, gave us all a warm welcome to the Big Apple. Then came the National Anthem followed by the voice of the immortal Frank Sinatra, filling the air with his famous “New York, New York”. With his line…”if I can make it here I can make it anywhere” blaring from the loud speakers the gun went off, thus starting our journey that would allow us to cover 26.2 miles meandering over 5 boroughs and one huge Central Park.

My goal was to start slow and then hit marathon pace. Starting slow at this race was not a problem since there is little or no place to move when running over the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and, as a matter of fact, for the next 8 miles. I don’t know if it is just my inexperience with dealing with the crowd or my lack of preparation that makes it difficult for me to keep target pace in these situations. My goal was to start slow and then hit marathon pace, or 9 m/m after the second mile. The feeling of being in a can of sardines, elbows poking, runners pushing, flying clothing hitting me in all directions created havoc within me and I allowed it to distract me from hitting the pace I was aiming for. Instead, I switched to that which comes easier to me… to have a heck of a good time with the crowd and to enjoy the gift.
    The official pictures can attest to how empowering this race was for me.

http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_...7685&BIB=45606
    I wish I had a camera with me to film the route and to be able to record the experience for posterity. Considering the “life happenings” in my private life in the last couple of months I went to this race knowing that this was not an A race for me, but I wanted, nonetheless, to give my all and leave all the juice on the course.

The half marathon mark found me at 2:02 and feeling good. I kept telling myself… keep this pace Posie, keep this pace. You can do this. You have trained for this. Feeling like a tiger inside a cage I wanted to run faster, but I knew that this would mean catastrophe at mile 22. Feeling powerful, strong and in control I kept on conquering the miles almost with as much ease as if I was truly flying. Miles 14, 15 came and went, still feeling strong, but a bit of tiredness settling in. At this point I started thinking of my running friends and cheerleaders I have back home tracking me on their computers. I was so thankful for each one of you and what you represent to my running life. I was thankful for my family who sacrificed so much on behalf of my beloved sport. I thought of myself as a young girl, watching that TV program and my boldness to make this journey happen. Many would have thought it impossible, but here I was…being one of the thousands of runners pounding the roads of NYC.

At mile 16 I took my third Gu as I was approaching a water station. My body needed the energy, but my stomach thought otherwise. I normally have trouble with Gu, but never before did my stomach reacted to it as it did this time. By mile 17 my stomach was contorting with pain and I began to throw up, I covered this mile in 14:35. At this point I knew that it would take every smidgen of mental energy to push forward towards the finish line. Dropping out of the race was not an option for me. At that point I just let the body do its thing and let the stomach misbehave (I ended up throwing up two more times in the following 9 miles and the stomach cramps never left me until way beyond the finish line).

I think I if I tried to calculate my pace or my next move I would have disintegrated. At this point I thought of BQBregercito and his message from God to just run and not to worry about the clock…so I did the same. I actually was shocked when I downloaded my garmin to find the mile splits from miles 17 on.

Mile 17: 14:35(stop to puke)

Mile 18: 9:24
    Mile 19: 10:02
    Mile 20: 9:13
    Mile 21: 9:57
    Mile 22: 9:49 (puking on 5th ave. is not cool)
    Mile 23: 9:46
    Mile 24: 10:12 (a hug and kiss from Mr. Posie)
    Mile 25: 10:07
    Mile 26: 9:44
    The last four miles was run purely on adrenaline. By this time the cheering of the crowed was really a huge motivator to run my best. As they sweetly cheered us on, I returned their effort with smiles, waves and not a few fist pumps, pretending to forget that darn stomach cramp and to try to spot my DH who was going to be cheering me somewhere in Central Park. It was a miracle that I spotted his sweet and supportive face. I stopped to get a hug and a kiss from him and on I went to finish the race. When I entered Central Park I could not contain the tears coming down from my eyes.

I tried to soak up the last bit of the cheering of the crowd to tuck it in the deepest part of my heart so to never forget this event. I pressed uphill towards the finish line containing my emotion and my desire to just jump up and down (see finish line photo) from the joy of having had ran the world’s biggest marathon.

The next day we returned to the city to do the tourist thing. There I found out that when in New York you wear your finish medal for 48 hours or your whole stay there.

Here I am posing with some runners from Finland who were just happening to be enjoying their post race dinner two days after the race.

Visiting my "Lady" and Ellis Island was a very touching moment for both Paul and I.

Went up the Empire State Building observation deck

We took a night tour around the island

We did a little bit of hiking/traversing in the Appalachian Mt (I have been told that we only have now 2,700 more miles to go to finish the trail)

I played in the water of the Atlantic Ocean

and then flew back home. Our 12 days day in New York ended too quickly.

We did a lot, but I never went to Carnegie Hall. I never visited a Museum and I never ate the famous New York Cheesecake...

I guess... New York...my wings are not finished with you just yet

I’m glad to say that my experience was as sweet and life changing as it was in my dreams for all these years.

It is never too early or too late to dream…

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

since I already commented over at Kick, I confess I didn't actually read through the whole report again, even though it's very worthy of a 2nd read, BUT I did look at all the pics again! Wonderful Nancy!! Just simply one of your best RR's ever and there are many RR's to chose from - you maniac!

I'm so glad you were chosen via lottery and made your dream come true. It was certainly meant to be, wasn't it?

Tammy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I either have to quit reading these inspiring race reports at work, or start wearing waterproof mascara!   How wonderful that your dream as a child has now been fulfilled!     I have only had the good fortune to visit NYC once a few years ago, and ever since the NYC marathon has been a sekrit dream of mine too.   I feel as though I was right there with you.

What a great job  - and so great to have such a strong finish feeling as sick as you did.

Congratulations to you!   Your pictures are all so wonderful too.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

#artbydmcbride

Smile    Wonderful!

Runners run

wow!!  just wow!!  i have goose bumps just reading this!!  you are truly inspirational -- you ran a great race and had a wonderful time making a dream come true!!  i only wish i could have made it to NY to meet you!! thanks for bringing us along through your pictures - they are great!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

denise

Tramps

What a wonderful report!  I'm so glad for you that you had this opportunity and made the most of it.  Reading all the details left me with a big smile.  And the pictures!  Excellent.

I always enjoy reading your posts and this RR is even more inspiring.  The enthusiasm and joy you bring to running are infectious.  Thanks for sharing.

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

I had the same tears everyone had reading your report and looking at the photos. You truly were the 'queen of New York'. I ran that marathon 10 years ago and it was special. It was not long after Marj and I met and was the first race she saw me run. If you can't make it there you can't make it anywhere.
                dg.

Nancy, you made my day.  I'm so proud of you!!!!

mta..   tears here too.

Very inspirational. It really makes me want to run there also. These big venue marathons always sound so great and your RR was one of the best. You are really living the dream! Congratulations!!

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

wildchild

Carolyn

Your RR was worth waiting for!  What a great story, and great pictures. The pictures of the crowds on the bridge were amazing - I have no idea how you ran with so many other people crowded beside you! Sorry to hear you got sick during the race - but you toughed it out and finished in good time anyway!  Your happy expression at the finish line says it all!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

I commented on KR too, but wanted to mention that I think it's so cool how you and Paul stayed for awhile and really got to take in some of the city. My only regret about my NYC race is we were pretty rushed, and left the day after. I would've loved to have gotten out like you did to see some of that area. Thanks for sharing your whole experience with us.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I also first became aware of the New York City Marathon 34 years ago in the days when it was being won by Bill Rodgers and Miki Gorman/Greta Waitz. 

I even happened to be in New York and saw it in person in 1983 (Dixon/Waitz) but, until now, I’ve never had any inclination to do the running part too.

However, it’s almost like it was custom made for you and I hope you go back many, many more times.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

You are one tough cookie, woman. I can't imagine stopping to puke once, much less 2 more times and then finish running a marathon. Congratulations on a job well done and I especially loved the "New York New York" pictures. Way to go, Posie!

mariposai,  how neat it was that you got to fulfill your childhood dream.  You sure did it well with your second best marathon in spite of the crowds and feeling ill.  I enjoyed hearing of your meeting with so many friends: old friends you knew from the past, old friends from the internet you met for the first time in person, and new friends you happened to meet.  Of course, I expect anyone the butterfly lady meets is an instant friend.  Your pictures were great.  A big congratulations.

TomS

Great trip, nice race and what can be better than fulfilling your dreams  

Thanks for the photos...

Congratulations are well deserved!!!  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.