Masters Running

It starts again with Monday, 11.25.19 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Great photos yesterday from Holly and Tet, and enjoyed the Monkey follow-up (except for the parking lot part) and background from KSA, and reading about many good and varied workouts, of which BTY's stood out with an amazing distance covered in the pool, and about music devices coming and going, and about Dave's move with lots of back-and-forth and good helping hands.

We have a slider door from our kitchen to the deck, and the lock wasn't working. DW and I took it apart yesterday, cleaned it, put it back together, and it still wasn't working. I went to Home Debit and got a replacement, but the screw holes on the plate to the door were (of course) in different locations than on the old plate. So we took the new lock mechanism off the new plate and put it on the old plate, screwed it back on the door, and now we have a working lock again. It's the little things...

I made the Apple Bourbon Bundt cake yesterday, and we had some after dinner. It was really tasty, including the bourbon glaze, which is not kid-rated.

I woke up during the night and, for a moment, didn't know who I was or where I was - or was that part of a dream, and I woke up just after that? I had two more dreams during the night that were quite strange - I remembered them briefly because I woke up during them. I seem to be dreaming (or know that I am dreaming) more over the past few days than in a long time. Is there any analyst in the house?

When I woke at the usual time this morning, I could hear the wind gently howling outside and my body was still a bit achy, so I took it as a sign that a rest day was in order. So I rolled over and went back to sleep for another hour, and it was good.

Crazy short week this week, eh? We're home for Thanksgiving; DW'll probably work most of a full day on Wednesday, and I'll likely take the afternoon off to do some cooking ahead since I'll be out at a Turkey Trot on Thursday morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  I'm so impressed with everyone's cooking and baking.  That is not a skill that I cultivated.  I DO like to eat it all, though!

Sunny, chilly morning.  Got out for 3.1 miles.  Legs are very tired and quads just a little sore.  We have a Vandy game tonight, so wanted to get the run in.  I'm working today and have some big things to deal with but, hopefully, off tomorrow and Wednesday or at least work from home.

Have a greta Monday and holiday week, y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nothing to do with the bourbon sauce, Jay?

walking in the rain yesterday.  got myself some new rain pants as I was getting tired of wet pants.  They did not seem to bother Maggie--she just likes the good toweling off at the end.

also, as part of our company being bought by a larger one, we're finally changing to their email domain after a year.  Finding out what accounts I've used it for, including this one, over the years.  Do not envy the IT folks with this effort.  Now I have to unlearn 16 years of muscle memory typing chiengineering.com.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

When I woke at the usual time this morning, I could hear the wind gently howling outside and my body was still a bit achy, so I took it as a sign that a rest day was in order. So I rolled over and went back to sleep for another hour, and it was good.

Jay - me too but, to the opposite, since it was raining for the first time in a week and the coming Thanksgiving week and end are supposed to be sunny and chilly again, I revised a planned SRD after seven days of hilly trails and stairs and wandered around the neighborhood checking out the emerging Christmas lights. I guess with the late Thanksgiving co-opting almost a week we’d otherwise get, everything’s early this year.

I woke up during the night and, for a moment, didn't know who I was or where I was - or was that part of a dream, and I woke up just after that? I had two more dreams during the night that were quite strange - I remembered them briefly because I woke up during them. I seem to be dreaming (or know that I am dreaming) more over the past few days than in a long time. Is there any analyst in the house?

Jay - mine was really weird as it involved sports announcer Joe Buck in a minor roll in just saying something from the kitchen or somewhere where everyone in the dream was milling around.  The only thing I know about him is that he is one of the few announcers who doesn't think it is necessary to scream to be a good announcer but that doesn't qualify him to be in one of my dreams.

Twocat - I’d like to do it too but any particular reason for getting to go via Beijing instead of a direct trans-Pacific flight to Hong Kong? Have fun which, I guess, since you seem to like what you do, you will.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hi Dee Ho, Friends -

Jay - Not an analyst, but you did say something about bourbon, right? 

One of my co-workers got into the Dipsea this past year.  After all our talks about trail running (which he doesn't do, I'm not sure what he was thinking, but he was certainly surprised at the amount of walking he had to do.   But he thoroughly enjoyed himself.

Posie - No different foods? Soap? Lotion? Detergent?  My mom changed detergents once when we were kids (I was in 6th grade). First load was everyone's underwear, T-shirts, etc. Made us all itch all like crazy.  I thought it was just me until Dad got home and was quite irritated that he spent the entire day scratching and wanted to know what the heck had happened. 

They're phasing out iTunes??  That sucks.  I have no idea how to download podcasts to my iPod other than through iTunes.  I guess I need to starting researching that .

Nothing yesterday and so far for me today.  One of my least favorite clients is coming in this afternoon to go over documents for discovery responses.  I'm hoping to get him in and out of here within about 3 hrs.  If so, I'll go to the gym after work.  This guy drives me crazy.  He's gotten himself into a boatload of trouble and has been very non-proactive in helping his cause.  But today I'm going to basically make him step up to the plate. Or at least try.  . . . . I hate litigation . . . .

Enjoy, Peeps ~~

Image result for monday monday images

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Joe618

Morning all.      Yes, a short week indeed.   I'll be working all three days but it will be more quiet than normal, so that's OK.   Will be taking more time off over Christmas but not now. 

Enjoy your Monday and sweet dreams to all!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Henrun

Marj drove to the grocery to get some things that she can’t find locally. She dropped me off in the old ‘hood’ and I got in some hills and ran home for 3 miles.

jay, I  used to do dream work in my past.life, but analysis is really quite complex. It does mean, however, that you’re getting some solid REM sleep in.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi folks!  I've been solving problems today, which is a good feeling.  Still have one major one to solve, but I don't think I'm going to be successful.  Today is my only day to work this week -- I have baking and packing to do tomorrow, and then an 8 hour drive to see my folks on Wednesday.  This will be the trip where we see how much CBD oil we have to give the dog to keep him from wigging out.  It's just that when a 125 dog pants, he shakes the entire car!  And 8 hours of constant panting really gets on my nerves.  Come to think of it, maybe it would be better to give ME the CBD oil.  Or some of Jay's bourbon ...

Made an eggnog cheesecake yesterday.  My mother's request and a recipe she found.  Well, it'll be interesting.  Tomorrow is bread and cookies.

Weights done today, and biking.  I think I'll take my pitiful 5lb dumbbells with me to NC.  It's just 10 extra pounds, and the weight routine really helps my knees.  Those darned squats ... guess the PT chick was right ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Joe618

Marj drove to the grocery to get some things that she can’t find locally. She dropped me off in the old ‘hood’ and I got in some hills and ran home for 3 miles.

jay, I  used to do dream work in my past.life, but analysis is really quite complex. It does mean, however, that you’re getting some solid REM sleep in.

You two are so cool, Henry...makes be glad and envious!

Here's some solid REM for all of you....

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

They're phasing out iTunes??  That sucks.  I have no idea how to download podcasts to my iPod other than through iTunes.  I guess I need to starting researching that . 

I know nothing about Apple products, although I do use iTunes to download my podcasts as MP3s and then copy them onto my Sansa player or watch. But anyway my understanding is they're doing away with iTunes as it exists today, and instead will have separate apps or sites for Apple Music, Video, etc. So I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do what we've been doing, but in a different way.

Did a longer 10-mile spin on my bike trainer this morning, then just got back from a nice 4-miles brisk walk with DW on another sunny and mild day. In general, except for Wednesday's predicted winds, we're not getting much of the severe weather that they've been talking about.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, phooey.  I usually get an ITunes gift card for my step-niece for Christmas, since I don't know her well.  Guess that idea's out the window ...

What else do you get a 17-year old girl that you don't really know?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Tramps

Jlynne (and others)--What Doug said. iTunes splitting up into Apple Music, Podcast, and TV. Apple Music will also pivot towards streaming, as "owning" music has largely died as a business model.

I've come to terms with streaming. It's a trade-off, as all things are, but I think the benefits outweigh the downside and I've come to just love the nearly bottomless catalog. It's truly amazing. I still have some 8K+ songs on my computer but I've been migrating towards Spotify both for streaming and to play the files I have.  I use the Spotify app on my phone, too, and download stuff in advance since my $11 a month phone plan has very limited data. Works great in the car, etc....and, soon, my workshop. In the house I use wifi to stream to stereo receivers. Tribee still has a hard time wrapping her head around it sometimes. "So, wait, we're listening to music on the stereo that's coming from your phone via Bluetooth, which is getting it from the internet via wi-fi?" Yup.

Finally, you can access podcasts from Spotify or lots of other places; no need for Apple. I'm not a big podcast guy but I like the Stitcher platform, for example.

Lots of folks heading off for holidays, so have a good one. Hope that storm doesn't wallop too many of you.

Worked this morning (which I still do from time to time) and headed out for a 5-mile run this afternoon in 64F weather.

ETA: if you're interested in making the leap, here's a useful comparison of Apple Music vs. Spotify.

Be safe. Be kind.

Singer who runs a smidge

Storm?

BTY

Evanflein asked yesterday (Better than yesterday, actually),

"BTY, I just can't imagine swimming over 2 miles. Egads, man. How long did that take?"

It took 1 hour, 27 minutes.  We did them on a 1:45 interval.  A good portion of that 1:27 I was resting because I did the 75's in about 70 to 75 seconds, except for from about #35 to 45 when I was closer to 77-80 seconds. 

Today, hair of the dog that bit me.   I was curious about the 100's on the menu and what would have happened had I picked them instead.   Granted, I may have been a little slower this morning following that 2-miler yesterday, but I didn't really feel like it.  Well, once I realized that I couldn't string the 100's together in 1:45, I tried giving myself a break every 3rd 1:45, and they were definitely do-able.  Like so: 100 in 1:40, (5 seconds rest), 100 in 1:45, (1:45 rest).  Repeat, over and over, for a total of 1700 yards, then 100 yards of backstroke to make a little over a mile.

Aside - After the workout ended yesterday, I only needed 1,350 yards in order to complete the "20-miles in November" fundraiser challenge.   On the bright side, I swam 20 miles in 25 days, so I can take it easy the rest of the month and maybe set the alarm for 6:45 instead of Jay-thirty every morning.  Unfortunately, the social media fundraiser I tried to organize has apparently fizzled - maybe 150 dollars have been donated so far.  Hopefully more people have heard about Degos Disease and Scleroderma than would have otherwise, I don't know.  So hard to tell.  I think if you post an update frequently enough on FB to get people's attention, they block you.

If any of you are on FB and would like to check it out, my name is Brian J Dollard and you'll find how to donate somewhere on my page.

BTY

Tribee still has a hard time wrapping her head around it sometimes. "So, wait, we're listening to music on the stereo that's coming from your phone via Bluetooth, which is getting it from the internet via wi-fi?" Yup.

Ok, my head hurts from just READING this! You'll never, ever in your life meet someone more electronically challenged than me (or my DH)   If someone could give me step-by-step instructions (with a trouble shooting page in case something went wrong), I'd have a fighting chance of figuring out what you're doing Tramps. Bummed out about ITunes.

Eggnog cheesecake? Hmm..... I took a family survey and gave everyone two choices of the following with the two getting the most votes the dessert for Thanksgiving. Options were: pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, NY cheesecake, apple pie or Oreo chocolate pie. Apple and lemon meringue were the winners. My family is sooooo boring.

Glad you got some water proof pants for walking Maggie Kevin. I'm sure she appreciates that.

Yes, Marj and Henry have the best worlds to live in

Wow BTY. 20 miles already. And it's only the 25th. Very impressive. My sister was on a Master's swim team. Somehow the gene for being good at it skipped by me.

I went for my follow up appointment with the eye surgeon this afternoon. Cleared to resume "normal activity!"  Now if I can only remember how to run farther than half a block...