Masters Running

Pear Blossom 10 mile RR (Read 219 times)

TammyinGP

Pear Blossom 10 mile race My absolute favorite local race here in Southern Oregon. It draws the largest crowd with usually around 1000 running the 10 mile race, a few hundred doing the 10 mile walk and maybe 600 running the 5K. This year saw a larger than usual increase in participants and I think there were over 3000 running the various distances, with around 1600 running the 10 mile. This mornings weather could not have been more perfect. After 3 days of rain, we had cool (mid 40’s), overcast, and dry weather predictions. Ideal running conditions! I wore my running skirt and a long sleeve tech shirt and it was just right for me. The race started off congested but it only takes about ½ mile before the crowd thins out enough that you sort of have your own little running bubble to be in. This race fit perfectly into my marathon training run for the day. My plan called for 12 miles, so the plan was to put forth a good effort in the race, and then run a couple slow miles afterwards to get in my 12 for the day. I think I had the most fun at this race than I’ve ever had in a local race. Saw so many running friends I know on the course, more cheering support along the sidelines than I recall from years past and overall I was just feeling real good. My goal was to PR. Last years time was 1:30:46. I wanted to hit around 1:28:00, but more importantly, I just wanted to hit a nice consistent pace and not fluctuate all over the place. This is a flat course for the most part. A gradual hill around mile 5 and 6, but nothing that wipes you out. Here’s my splits: Mile 1: 8.55 2: 8.57 3: 8.54 4: 8.53 (feeling good about being consistent so far!) 5: 8.45 (nice! And this included a hill) 6: 9.11 (ok, another hill, feeling it this time) 7: 9.00 8: 9.03 9: 9.10 (yikes, and I thought I was picking it up!) 10: 8.38 (sweeeeet!) The last 3/4 mile I picked up the pace. I knew by the time I hit mile 9 that I was not going to hit my goal of 1:28:00 but I had to PR, so gave it what I had left. And the last ¼ or so is when I really kicked it in as much as I could. I was able to pass by about 5 or 6 runners in that last stretch. My dad rode his Harley down to see me finish and he said he was yelling for me as I turned the final corner and had about .10 mile to go, but I never heard him. He found me afterwards and congratulated me. His voice was choked up and dare I say I even saw a dad’s misty eyes as he said how proud he was of me. That was one of my highlights, having my dad ride his motorcycle 40 miles to come see me finish a race. Laura (friend who I’m marathon training with) and I made my way back to my office (2 blocks from the start), I changed shirts, then we headed out for another couple miles. We ran back along the race course and cheered in other runners as they had their last mile to go. We saw a co-worker of mine, running her first race, so we sided up to her and ran her in. I don’t know my official time yet. My Garmin said about 1:29:50 (forgot to turn it off right away of course), the race clock said 1:30:03, but since it took a bit to cross the starting mat, I’m guessing that’s maybe about 15 seconds off. Official results will be forthcoming but even with the clock time, I PR’d today, so I’m good with that!

Tammy

xor

Good job on the PR and nice last mile too.

Slo

Great Race Tammy..........Cool thing about your Dad too !

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

that's a PR for your legs no matter what the clock ends up saying. happy soreness too with not a single ache or pain?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on a nice PR and fun race! You did greta! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sounds like a great day Tammy. thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great job, Tammy! I am so impressed with you gazelles. I wanted to come down there and do the 5K, and for a few days thought that would work, but maybe another year it will. I was very moved about your Dad being so very proud of you. It is neat that he came on his Harley to see you. Econo says when I write a report, I should use your report as a model, and I can tell why. BTW, I love the way you added on the extra 2 miles in order to finish your own goal. Good for you. Congratulations! MaEcono
                  That sounded like an awesome day! I was really impressed with your even pacing, and the speedy last mile. Great to get your Dad all teary eyed, that is so cool. Congrats on the PR, and it sounds like your marathon training is going along just fine.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

How sweet to have your dear dad at the finish line. Great fun you had and I celebrate those great splits with you. Watch out Seattle R&R..........here comes tammiskirtalina!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Sweet RR Tammy!! Gotta love haveing a Dad and a PR!

SteveP

Tammy, I don't think it could have gotten any better. You had ideal conditions, lots of friends, your dad on his Harley, and a PR with nice consistent splits and a kick at the end. Congratulations. TomS

Renee the dog

Tammy, Awesome job!!!! Sounds like a great day and you got the job done! Very kewl! Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Great job on the race and the PR. Nice to have your dad out there cheerleading! Next time tell him to wear a skirt and carry pom-poms so you can spot him! Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

My dad rode his Harley down to see me finish and he said he was yelling for me as I turned the final corner and had about .10 mile to go, but I never heard him. He found me afterwards and congratulated me. His voice was choked up and dare I say I even saw a dad’s misty eyes as he said how proud he was of me. That was one of my highlights, having my dad ride his motorcycle 40 miles to come see me finish a race.
                              I bet that was the highlight for him as well. Watching and rooting for DD....no wonder he's proud. Nicely done Tammy. Very nice splits!
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              coastwalker

Hi Tammy, It's not nice to bring your dad close to tears...Wink Congrats on running a greta race, and meeting your goals of consistent splits and a PR! It does sound like a perfect day with great weather, a good course, lots of friends, a surprise visit by dad, and a fantastic effort and finish in a favorite race. What could be better than that??? Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.