Masters Running

40's On the Run - Week of 02/02/08 - And the Giants Win!! (Read 543 times)

Hope the title doesn't offend any Pats fans, but what a great game! It was a quiet Super Bowl at our abode, but I enjoyed it. Tomorrow I go back to work for the first time in 3 weeks. Boy, is that gonna be hard. I've never been off work this long in my entire adult working life. Despite the sickness, it's been kinda nice. Smile I'm holding off on any workouts until at least Wednesday. I still get pooped out easily. Needless to say, our house is looking a little less than, um, perfect. Blush Anybody know a good housekeeper?? Have a great week, Fab 40s.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Heck no, I'm not offended. Oh - PATS fans, you said. Big grin Best line I heard this morning - Tom Brady was getting hit so much that by the end of the game he looked like Tom Petty! Note to seld - never schedule Day 1 of a new training program on the morning after the Superbowl when the Giants are in it and I'm hosting the party. Packed my bag this morning and left it and my coffee Cry at home. Guess I'll be running at home tonight, somehow or other. bty Oh, yeah - Big grin Giants!!
        I can't post under this heading all week! Not fair. Congrats to Giants fans - your team clearly wanted it more. Happy Giants fans I can take, it's those obnoxious '72 Dolphins that really bugged me. Oh well, when does Spring Training start? Go Sox! As for running, 6 on Saturday on the treadmill and 5 on Sunday outside on the melting ice. Not a great run sunday, perhaps it was an omen for the game. Hope for better runs this week.

jfa

Hi Guys! Greetings from Cloud Nine!!!! Shocked Thanks for the thread Leslie. and Thanks Yabba for being so gracious.Once again we have a NY-Boston sports moment for the ages.What a game!What a Win! I still can't believe it .Tom Brady marching down the field with 3 1/2 mins left.I thought"wow,here he goes again" Our defense played their guts out and at the end were wheezing like mad.That Eli brought them right back was really remarkable. Cool Ran my longest ever before the game yesterday,16miles @9:35 pace.I don't know what took more out of me,that run or watching the game!Either way,today I'm just comfortably numb!! Have a Great one!

Queen of 3rd Place

Let's hear it for the D on both teams! They really played their hearts out. Whoo-hoo, Joe, you're closing in on the 20 mile mark! Seriously, how are you feeling as you increase those long runs? Any soreness? Leslie - too bad you can't take a vacation after being sick - take it easy... Arla

Ex runner

Marathon Maniac #957

Ran my longest ever before the game yesterday,16miles @9:35 pace.
              Woo hoo! Nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Howdy 40's, Giants and Patriots fans alike! That was an awesome game, even for this not-so-engaged football watcher. The rotel dip made it worth my while to sit and watch! Joe, way to go on the 16 miles! You are doing great on your training plan AND staying healthy. Leslie, glad you're takin' it easy w/ the workouts. Definitely more important to be able to breathe than to run. Yabba Dabba, nice consistent runs for you! I applaud you for having the discipline to get those treadmill runs in! BTY, hey there...no makin' fun of Tom Petty! Best half-time entertainment in years if you ask me. Hi Arla, been teaching that bird any new words lately? Had a decent run on Saturday until the blood sugar tanked a bit. Had to walk and eat sport beans, but still enjoyed the ride since it was nice and warm out. Still haven't located my Ipod, so enjoying the "sounds of silence".
                Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Greetings 40's!! Smile Hope everybody had a great wknd!.......Congrats to those of you rooting for NY!! "Entertainment Value" was what our crew was looking for in the game ~ & they were not dissappointed! ......we had a small gathering of 15 folks, including DH & I, here @ our house....those who wanted, watched the game. The rest chatted over food, drinks & supervising the kids ~ including passing the new baby around....one of the younger couples got a fresh one a month ago.... Expecting a crew, I thought it would be a good idea to "migrate" the two big dogs so that they would be "in a calm-submissive-state-of-mind" before folks started arriving ~ especially DS#1's Lab, Misty! This was my 1st time taking both of them at the same time & it took a little bit for us to get into the rhythm of it..150lbs of dogs attached to my waist belt & handle loops to keep them by my side.....once settled in though, it went rather well. We did 5.43 miles on the back hilly trails w/4 of it power walking (as much as possible) & the last 1.43 easy jogging ~ which turned out to be the easiest part of it! Surprised I'm thinking this will be good to do again...practice makes perfect! & we all need the excercise! Funny thing that totally surprised me was I got a "thumbs up" from one car & a "woo-hoo" from another!! I dunno if it was that I had two large dogs?, that they are black labs? or what exactly I was getting approval about!? So far today, only a 3 mi brisk walk w/Mairead....sleep deprived sleepy...lazy....must clean house.... Leslie: take care of you! It'll come back around. Brian: Modifying your schedule already!? Big grin Yabba: Big grin may you have better weather this week! Joe: Woo-Hoo! sounds like you had a stellar wknd! Smile Carol: what happened to your ipod? sometimes I forget to turn mine on.....it's all good. Hey Holly & Alrla!! Great Runs Everyone!
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

4.1 for me, longest since Nov when the whole hip thing flared, could have gone alot farther but made myself stick to the plan. Made it a point to keep form to the end as I think that will help keep me straight and running. We kinda went off the good eating/drinking wagon last nite with the Super Bowl. Its getting pretty busy around here, spring planting will be just around the corner. Leslie thats the pits, I bet today wasn't fun, hope you keep feeling better. YDD even tho the pats didn't win congrats on a terrific season and one of the bes Super Bowls in memory. Good runs also. Congrats also to Giants fans Joe and BTY. Joe another great long run!! Carol glad u had a decent day despite the blood sugar issues. Holly u have probably said but what marathon are you entered in? Mtn Chk that would have been a sight to see u running with the "Big Dogs", sounds like they came around quickly.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Sounds like most everyone had a great day yesterday and survived for the most part. Joe - Dude, you are just killng the long runs! Good for you! I can't wait 'til I'm able to get there again. Cindy - How does Mairead do around groups of people? And I would've loved to have seen you with two large dogs tied to your waist. At least you know nobody with an ounce of brain matter will be bugging you. Clowning around Jim - How's your hip been doing? Did you end up getting an MRI or any other further exams to explain what the heck is/was going on? Carol - You seem to have been doing pretty good with your blood sugar lately. Hopefully, this is but a small blimp on the radar of life. I've made it through most of the day. Being forced to put one foot in front of the other actually has a nice healing quality. I'm a bit pooped, but that just means I'll sleep really well tonight. I'm looking forward to giving exercise a try on Wednesday. After taking some extended ed classes, Coach Bill gave me a nutrition plan based on my age, height, and weight and covers daily calories/hydration, pre-exercise, during exercise/event, and post. It's pretty interesting and will force me to give my eating habits a thorough review. I eat pretty healthily (is that a word?), but I don't think I always eat enough. That's been a real challenge for me from the get-go after losing a bunch weight through Weight Watchers - the fear of the return of the pounds. However, considering what I hope to accomplish this year, I'm going to have to "let go of the fear" and be more diligent. I think I'll start keeping a diary like I did with WW in order to train my brain as to What Foods = How Much Carbs/Protein. Later, Gators!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

50 halfs by age 50

Later, Gators!
                        Go Gators! Oops wrong football season Wink I'm training now for a 15K in Orlando in May. Today was a 2.5 mile stonker run! My legs were tight, couldn't breath right...either my allergies or the darn humidity is back already! How is it on your side of the state, Jewels? Wow, Joe...great 16 mile run! Carol...I haven't used my MP3 in about a month on a run. Not sure yet if I miss it. I haven't done more than 4 miles without it. Leslie...glad you're feeling better. Mtnchk...yikes that's a lot of dog on your run! We have two border collie mixes that only go about 40 lbs each. One's too prissy to run, the other's too old. Have a good week everyone!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

woodwoman

Yes, that was an exciting game!! Unfortunately, we hosted a big party and it was hard work not eating! I did pretty well, just kept busy watching the game in the kitchen and fixing more food - the hungrier I was, the more I fixed so I think everyone was well fed. Big grin Had a terrible run yesterday - no idea why, just couldn't breathe the whole time. Hoping tomorrow's is better - trying not to overthink it. r2farm - I'm glad you're feeling better - since I wasn't around for awhile, I missed - what was the exact problem, your hip? Is all healing and well?

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Yep! Congrats to the Giants, that was one game!! Coulda done without the half time show though...and most of the commercials were pretty lame too. Leslie Hope your first day back at work wasn't too brutal on you! Woodwoman Sorry to hear about your lack luster run..we all have 'em from time to time. Well...up here in the Rockies, it's snowing....again...man oh man!!! This is getting tedious! Looks to be better by mid week though, so will HOPEFULLY *sigh* get out for a run...in the meantime there's always the dreadmill Shocked
                            BTY

Hi everyone - I needed to get out for a run today to start that program, and finally got out at around 8:30. Very unusual for me. 3 miles around the neighborhood (~ 1/2 mile loop) in ~ 29:00. Nice easy start. Also did some push ups to gently begin strength training habit. bty
                                Yep! Congrats to the Giants, that was one
                                Saph - Where do you get these cute little dudes??

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance