Masters Running

Thursday Christmas Eve Runs and Best Wishes (Read 579 times)

Good morning good people. We're in the middle of a nasty batch of weather here - snow and freezing rain which is supposed to continue until tomorrow evening. Off to the Y for a run on the dreadmill to work off all the cookies and candy I ate yesterday. I could only muster 4 miles - just feeling tired and worn out, and sooooo close to hitting 1500 miles for the year, but not today.

((( Leslie, Carolyn Deb (love the new avatar) and Deez ))) and anyone else hurting this week. Hope that Santa brings you cures for your aches and pains.

Eliz - enjoy your time off. Very well deserved I must add.

Sue - so sorry to hear about your BIL. We'll keep your family in prayer today.

To all my virtual running friends, have a safe, peaceful and blessed Christmas. Enjoy your time with family and friends. Thanks to all of you for your support and friendship this past year.

Peace!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Jlynne, take some time to rest and enjoy your very blessed Christmas with baby Will!    GIve him a hug from his Aunt Mary okay??    1500 miles is just a number - I'm was aiming for 1,000 but doubtful I'll get there and that is okay too.

I got out and made it through 8 miles!   The last 3 were sheer torture into the bitter cold wind, but I kept moving and never took a break.   My thighs feel like bricks after class the other night.   I tried to bend down to pick up my visor and it took me a while to get down there.  Wink

Happy Christmas Eve!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

White Christmas for baby Will!

Nice run Mary!

4 miles with Tory and Sadie.  They were full of beans trying to lunge at everything.  The deer 10 feet away didn't help.  I got more upper body workout holding back 140+ lbs of lunging dogs than lower body from the run!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Henrun

Nice runs Mary and Perch.  we're going out shortly.

iphone question - I just got one - how do you carry it while running - it's easy in the winter, but what about the summer?

peace and good health to all, marj

Mariposai

Since today is Christmas in Ozzie land I would like to wish a joyful Christmas to twocat and the lovely mrs. twocat. 

Reading about Perch and his runs with Tory and Sadie always makes me smile.

Great job the Jlynne, 1500 is a lot of miles in one year.

Hopeful, 8 in that bitter wind makes you my hero for the day.

Sue, I am so sorry about your BIL

Aamos, I don't know any Brazilian Maniac, but I am in for a maniac gathering in Brazil someday. Let me know. It would be a good excuse to sharpen my rusty Portuguese.

Erika, enjoy your break!

8.5 miles with 8x1 minute striders a t5am in20F, with brilliant stars as company.

Paraguayan Christmas eve dinner at the Posie's household. Since we are home alone for the Holidays this year we decided to invite other friends who are also alone for our traditional dinner. Menu: antipasto, clerico (my typical drink for the holidays) and some variety of good Italian wine appetizers, gnochi (a posie family tradition from back home) Pork tenderloin with balsamic  and cranberry sauce, spinach noodle with homemade marinara sauce, baby spinach salad with strawberries and pecan salad. Tiramisu cake and  pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. Now music...what should I be playing in the background...any suggestions????

I better be going skiing on the 25th or...one fat Posie is going to be posting in  here on the 26th.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs Mary and Perch.  we're going out shortly.

iphone question - I just got one - how do you carry it while running - it's easy in the winter, but what about the summer?

peace and good health to all, marj

Henry.. I use and arm band from Belkin (neoprene with velcro fastening). I take the iPhone out of the protector sleeve and wrap it with a single layer of Glad plastic wrap to keep it dry from sweat.  Then slip it into the Belkin arm band.  Works great. Hands free. (for the earphone jack, just push it right through the plastic wrap)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

5.1 slow miles on dark streets with lingering  patchy ice and snow.  The Yaktrax may have been overkill, but it was still pretty slippery in spots.   Cold too - 15 degrees this morning.

I'm sitting here in the hospital with dear-old-dad.  He was brought here by ambulance from the nursing home with another case of pneumonia.  As usual, the doctors are very grim.  "High mortality risk", "much sicker than he looks", etc etc.  After proving the doctors wrong time and time again, I have learned not to panic, but the poor guy is 92, so one of these times they're going to be right.  This isn't good timing - baby Nate and parents are arriving at BWI airport at 3:30 this afternoon and we're having neighbors in for eggnog tonight.   I had hoped to just have a relaxing week with the family, with special attention to the baby.  Now I just don't know...

Be careful out there mid-westerners.  It's stormy back there, and it will be coming our way as freezing rain tonight.  At least most people will have arrived at their final destinations here before the rain starts.

Best holiday wishes to everyone here!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I Can Go The Distance

Good Christmas Eve Masters,

IRC in SOCAL this morning 53 no wind. Tempo run for me today. Goal time for tempo run 8:10-8:15/mi

3mile wu: 29:13 (9:45/mi)

3 mile tempo run: 24:13 (8:05/mi)

mile 1: 8:05

mile 2: 8:08

mile 3: 7:49

Predawn: I will be praying for your Dad and the rest of your family today.

A Blessed Christmas to All. Christ is Born. Glorify Him!

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Merry Christmas.

Oddly enough though, not even the local library’s famed information line could identify

any Merry Christmas signage in Seattle for background photos this year.

They said maybe a professional photographer's studio might have a Merry Christmas backdrop. 

In the meantime, there were plenty of ‘em commercializing all over Japan this month.

Any in any other towns?

MERRY CHRISTMAS #1 by kz.hata.

i wish your merry christmas! by beth harriet.

Mari’s Christmas song        
                    On the twelfth day of Christmas,
                    my true love sent to me
                    Twelve pumpkin cheesecakes,
                    Eleven Tiramasu’s,   
                    Ten pecan salads,
                    Nine baby spinach,
                    Eight marinara’s,
                    Seven noodle dishes,
                    Six tenderloins,
                    and five family gnochi’s,
                    Four Italian wines,
                    Three clerico’s,
                    Two antipasta,
                    And memories of a wonderful year!

. . . . . . . .

sorry PDR - however, it’s out of your hands now so take a deep breath and treasure whatever happens.
                    ===================
                    more than I needed to know about 12-days-of-Christmas symbolism.
                    http://www.brownielocks.com/twelvedaysofchristmas.html
                    Christmas food quiz
                    http://www.amiwrong.com/misc/custom/12-Days-of-Christmas-Day-9-Christmas-Food-1197403009.shtml

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Baby will is just too kewl.

I got out and made it through 8 miles!   The last 3 were sheer torture into the bitter cold wind, but I kept moving and never took a break.   My thighs feel like bricks after class the other night.   I tried to bend down to pick up my visor and it took me a while to get down there.  Wink

Happy Christmas Eve!

As a fellow Michiganian Boomer, I can relate. My shoe laces were almost too far to reach today.

Two dogs on leashes Perch!!! Wow

Mariposai's post is making me drool....I mean more than normal.

(((((PDR)))))

Way too kewl Tet.

The dog and I went down icy, hilly trails. I took a sled and took the easy way on the down hills. Well, they weren't so easy. I got a good uppper body work out while pushing with my hands to get up to speed. When I fist belly flopped on the sled, Tag stole my hat. The next time he grabbed the side of the sled and dumped me. Twice he jumped on my back and tried to catch a ride. As much work as it was, we're gonna have to try that again.

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Steve, I would love to be able to go out on a run with you and Tag.  Sounds like as much exercise from laughing as actual running.

PDR--what Tet said.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

dg.

Be careful Jlynne!   Congrats on the almost 1500!   I was looking the other day at what I was close to, & decided not to worry about it so that I didn't do anything stoopid.    Thanks for the healing hugs.  You are always so supportive.

Mary, what a great run!   You win!   Whatever you'd like, you get to pick.  

Perch, that's funny.   My Sadie's been a bit lungy (?) lately, & on the icey roads it is Not helping.   At least, this year so far, no deer.   (Tramps.  2)

Thanks for the links.   I'll try mine again later.  I'm always link-challenged.

Nancy, belated congratulations to you on 2000 miles!   I think there was someone else too that just hit 2000 but I can't remember who it was right now. 

--can't think about which music right now, I'm too distracted by your menu.  ;-)

Thanks for all your kind words about my avatar.   It startles me to see it there!  Oh well.  Carolyn... thanks for encouraging me to look.  This was a finish line shot.   And, Byll (I cannot believe I'm saying this.. ;-) )  you were right. 

yes, Bruce.   It's your turn.

Marj, I will be interested to find out what you put on that iphone! 

PDR I'm so sorry your dad is sick again.  All of you will be in my thoughts.   I was just wondering this morning when Baby Nate & DParents would be traveling.. I hope they don't run into any delays.    Hope your dad feels better quickly and you can enjoy some of what you've worked so hard to get ready for.     (that wasn't a very good sentence but I'm hurrying a bit...)

Erika woohoo you get a break!     What a workout for you last night.   I tried to Erika-up a little this morning but didn't have quite enough time.   Still, I tried to be very deliberate while using the weight machines, not rushing through it.  And I did  give dirty looks to the people that just sit there, place holding.  Smile.  

20 min. on the bike, 20 min. ellipticalling, & 30 min. on the weight machines, with a few stab. ball things thrown in there.   All the usual.      .... well, I guess I could have spent a little more time working out because I did sit in the whirlpool when I was done,... not for long, & I had to hurry like mad after it, but it sure felt good.  I was able to come into work a little later, & didn't want to waste the chance, but since the gym opened 2 hours late there still wasn't endless time.     

Tag is most certainly part human.  His antics are pure gold!

PDR - My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Mary - Take a rolling pin to those thighs for a self-massage.

Henry - I have an iPOD, but not an iPhone.  I have a little sleeve that fits on the iPOD, and I can either use the strap and strap it my arm, or I can take the strap off and use the clip to clip it to the waistband of my bottoms.  I use the latter.

Mari - Mmmmmmm!!!  Dinner at your house sounds wonderful!

The Hub has 4 days off starting tomorrow, and since we usually only get one day off together, I've decided to switch things around and get my weekend running over with ASAP.  So tomorrow Coach and I will be going out predawn to bang out our 20 miles on the trails and hopefully be done by noon.  I'll then have 14 road miles to bang out in the early predawn hours on Saturday and will be done for the weekend.

And Coach thinks the cause of my shin problems are my shoes, so The Hub and I will be buying me an unplanned Christmas present of new road shoes this afternoon.

Have a blessed Christmas, my friends.  This little community of ours really  means a lot to me, and I cherish each and every one of you.  May your hearts be filled with joy, your bodies filled with health.

And may we remember that our Lord is the true reason for this wonderful season.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just back from a 30-minute run, much later than I'd planned.  Got all dressed and realized that the Garmin got left on all night and the battery was practically dead.  I'm too OCD to go without it, so I rearranged some late morning plans to give it time to charge.  Now I'm in a time crunch to get on the road.

The run was just beautiful.  Temps in the low 30s felt almost balmy, with "abundant sunshine" and a slight breeze from the south.  

Signing off until late tomorrow as I head to NJ for the Christmas Eve festivities.  Happy Christmas to all.  May the light of this season stay in your heart always.  

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Happy Christmas Eve Day.   One of my favorite days.  Everything that is going to get done is done.  It is peaceful. The weather is beautiful - about 40, and sunny.  Not a cloud in the sky.  It is a little windy, but will calm down by mid afternoon, when I will go for a short walk/run in the woods.  DH will come with me - there is a Cascara tree down over my trail, and it is fantastic fire wood.  I have asked him to cut it into fire wood sized pieces for my Christmas gift.  I will carry the wood home from my many runs in this part of the woods.  One piece at a time, over the winter.  There will  be about a third of a cord.

Tonight is church, followed by Christmas cheer at a local place. Tomorrow out to a nice place overlooking the ocean for Christmas Dinner. Just the two of us this year.  I will talk on the phone to my family, except for Econo, who is having Christmas today in China with her son. Guess Tet is having Christmas today, too.  Merry Christmas all you day ahead people.  

Mariposai, that meal sounds fantastic.  Lucky are those friends of yours.  

Happy runs, all of you who can get out.