Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 1.5.14 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I don't have much time this morning 'cause DW's taking me out to our favorite dive for breakfast. Today I'm up for some coffee, an omlette, home fries, and a (gluten-free) english muffin.

About 15 kids were on the pond across the street yesterday with shovels and snowblowers, clearing the snow off what are now two hockey rinks. I'm sure they'll be back today, and I'll try to get some photos.

7.25 racewalking miles at 4 o'dark this morning. I cut it short by a couple of miles for two reasons: Even with my YakTraks, the choppy snow on the roads made it very tough going. It was hard to get enough traction, and I felt like I was working twice as hard for each stride, so I was pretty fatigued by the time I made the turn toward home with a mile to go. Also, my hands, which were OK at the outset, were getting colder as I went along. Sure enough, the temp dropped from 21 when I headed out to 11 by the time I got back. Had I known, I would have added some liners to my mittens. Still, it was a great morning to be out there, and I enjoyed the crisp air, the quiet of the morning, and the satisfaction of giving myself a good workout.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning Jay and all to follow!  It's bedtime here in Thailand already, and you guys are just getting up.  Happy belated bday to Dave! And congrats to Tet for another marathon!  Tet, we're changing planes in Tokyo on the way home in a few weeks and I wish we could stop over in Japan longer to visit!

Thailand is wonderful - lots to see and do, and the people are very friendly.  And it's warm!  We took the overnight train to Chiang Mai, and got in at 5 am, so it's been a long day.  The train was cool - the seats fold into a lower bunk and the upper bunk folds down from the wall, so you can actually get a decent night's sleep.  Except for the arriving at 5 am part.

Here's one of my favorite pictures so far, of a Buddha head surrounded by tree roots at a temple in Ayutthaya:

Oh yeah - running -  I haven't done much here, but lots of walking.  Hope to get out early for a run tomorrow.  Oh, and I seem to have registered for the Bighorn 50 mile trail run in June...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

.....mornin' jay///...................that is SO COOL wildchild

currently awaiting

50-degree rain followed by  temps falling to 1-DEGREE tonite

I hate IceStorms

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

.....mornin' jay///...................that is SO COOL wildchild

currently awaiting

50-degree rain followed by  temps falling to 1-DEGREE tonite

I hate IceStorms

+1 to everything Tom said....although it isn't 50 degrees here, but 37.  Still, we will get less snow than predicted and more ice as we drop into negative degrees tonight.

I took advantage of the warmer temps (albeit with light sleet) to do my LR outside.  Made me realize that I am SO out of shape.  Also, I looked at the calendar and realized I should have began marathon training a month ago.

Due to several issues, and partly financial, I chose to stay local for the spring and run the Xenia Marathon again.  It is a fairly unexciting race, visually, but it's close, cheap ($25!), and well-supported.

Also, due to our family plans to vacation in Mexico in October, I don't know that I will be able to do the Vermont 50K, which I would REALLY like to do.....we'll see how the finances pan out.  Does anyone know if that race sells out quickly?

15 miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I ran a couple miles just for the fun of running in a heavy snowfall.  Supposed to get 6-12" of snow today and then it gets cold and windy.

It looks like it is going to be some treadmill days next week due to the bitter cold.  Sometimes the cold can make me cough and feel lousy, so why be a hero and run when it is -5° with who knows what windchill?

I moved our old Roku box down the basement so I can watch stuff while I run, and I moved a fan down there to I can survive the sweat fest I encounter on the TM.  I am ready for tomorrow.

I finished today's 10k race unhurt.  That is all I will say that is positive about it.  These were the worst running conditions I have ever seen.  The roads were a sheet of ice.  I saw several people go down.  If nobody ended up in the ER it was a miracle.  I am going to give the RDs the benefit of the doubt here and assume that when they checked the course this morning it was not nearly as slick as during the race.  If it was, then not cancelling the race was inexcusable. As to runners and their responsibility to know what the conditions are, they vary from town to town around here at the moment.  They also vary by which way the roads face, how much traffic they get, etc.  I for one had no idea how bad things would be on the race course and if I had I would have run on the TM.  Yes, this is the first time I have been in the middle of a race and wished I had stayed home for a TM run. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sorry about those tough conditions Twocat and I am glad you finished upright and unhurt.

Great photo Carolyn! I was supposed to be on my way out your way for work right about now and the coming ice storm (I am with you TW!!) has thrown a wrench into the travel plan. My flight was cancelled late last night and I was automatically rebooked on a flight that will/would have me miss the key meetings and then the hold time with this particular airline was 60 minutes (got disconnected after 34 minutes on speaker phone). Ah well, best laid plans and all that.

I did put in the miles and met up with three other teammates for 16.2 miles at 8:30 pace and mostly on the bike paths which are all plowed-- packed snow now and will be sheets of ice later. We started out at 1 degree F and finished up at about 11 degrees, so another MMTD run and great fun. This was a good first week of Boston Marathon training----15 more to go!

Lots of adventures ahead for you and the family Holly and I hope you make it work to come this way for the VT 50--50k---50 relay. The 50k sells out quickly and the 50 miler usually sells out, but not right away. Hope that helps!

Stay safe all

Great runs and races yesterday!!

Posai - that sunset was gorgeous - so glad you were able to enjoy that with your boys!!

Twocat - glad you made it thru safely -- sounds like a scary run!!

Carolyn - great pic - sounds like a great trip!!

I did 12.0 miles in 1:53 today with friends in my running group - still trying to figure out what my pace should be as we get into the longer runs for marathon training.  I dont usually end me runs with a .0, but really had nothing left today - the cold, snowy roads took it all out of me!!   Winter track starts Wed. night and the MVS coaches will be able to help me out with a plan.

denise

Twocat, maybe you should have worn skates?

Holly I hope you have a fun trip to Mexico.  I am contemplating it too.  But only if I get a better job.

I did 6.3 easy miles on the mountain.  So many dogs and people today, taking advantage of the sunshine and crisp temperatures (just slightly above freezing).  That is the best time to run there, as the ground is frozen and not a mudfest.  I was very happy the sore spot on my foot seems to be going away.  I have a theory that my knees start to hurt when I stop running for a few days, crazy I know, but they seem less sore the more I run.

Trying to decide how to train for Ave of the Giants HM....to use a program, or just wing it.  I actually think that if I lost this extra weight and ran more miles, I could be setting PRs, as that last 5K I did was very close to my PR, but I am 13-15 pounds heavier right now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I did an easy 6.3 this morning, also.  Mine wasn't muddy either, but mostly because of the only partially plowed sidewalks.    It was a little slow, but enjoyable.  17 when I woke up and 29 by the time I finished.  Guess the warm front was a little slow coming through.  Of course it's supposed to rain tomorrow and then get well below freezing on Tuesday.  sounds like I may need Twocat's ice skates.

PS--anyone else get a survey from Cool running?  it sound like they want to get their forums back again.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...I got a survey too stumpy.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

PS--anyone else get a survey from Cool running?  it sound like they want to get their forums back again.

Me too.

Sorry about your icy race today Twocat.

5 miles on the mill yesterday, 5 miles on the elliptical this morning with 30 minutes of weights. Headed to -18 tonight with a wind chill of -50 to -60. School has already been cancelled.

The Packers could have won that game

C-R

Nice pics Carolyn.

Glad you managed to stay upright twocat.

Cheap and local sounds like my kind of run Holly. A+

Got my 13.1 on the TM and then shoveled the drive 6 times today. I finally gave up. No more today. Supposed to be -30 wind chill tomorrow so it is what it is. I figure more miles than degrees by getting the mail.

I'm pooped so see ya tomorrow.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Stumpy - I did to but, quickly deleted it.  The way we got treated I will never go back.

Wild - would love to visit Thailand again.  Sounds like your having a ball.  I wasn't running 18 years ago when I when I was there but, the open air bars drew me in.

13.0 miles for me today at an easy pace on my TM while watching football.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I've been busy, today.  DW put me to work putting away all the Christmas stuff.  She was a little irritated when I told her I was done and was going to go run...oh well...

Anyway--10 miles on the treadmill and, like ras, watched some football...it sure does make the time go by faster.

I hope this doesn't mean you're not all leaving me, here, alone...well, me and rasmussenmp...

It sounds like everybody is getting walloped by weather, this winter.  I suppose we should expect it...it is winter, after all...but I still don't like it.

Okay--I'd better get going--I don't want to give DW something else to be mad at me about.  It's too cold to be in the dog house...we don't even have a dog house...