Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 4.20.17 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s wondersome workouts:

RunnerKSA (2 easy morning miles before the dreaded company  5K in the afternoon, which she ran in 29 min for 5th place woman)

Dave (4 morning miles in 60° temps with nice breeze and half cloud cover)

Holly (4.5 morning TM miles)

Stumpy (6.4 miles in 39° IRC)

Tramps (6 EZ lunchtime punted miles)

Catwhoorg (6 lunchtime miles, then 20 post-work bike miles)

Marj (tired 3 miles in need of ironing after 10 bike miles in all-around wind and IRC)

Pfriese (1 mile swim)

BerthaSlayer (4 EZ TM miles)

dg. (7.03-7.18 miles, happy, with hillage)

Hemerocallis (15 min TM walk, including 1 min of first running in 3 months)

Twocat (1 hr on the elliptical)

Spacityrunner (4 hot lunchtime miles)

Evanflein (5.5 TM miles before racing off to see the Boston movie)

Jay (7.25 RW miles)

Outstanding racing at the company 5K, RunnerKSA! Smart move not to wear the ugly/heavy shirt, or to throw-up or have a bathroom emergency! Good of you to let the Pres. win too, and good for him for being so supportive of his employees. I’d quickly fire the race organizing co. that ‘neglected’ to get the necessary permits for the race.

Dave, at the hour I workout, and if there is lots ‘o moonlight, I’m a sky half clear guy. Otherwise, doesn’t matter.

Holly, you seem to be getting a little attached to little Rosie.

I hope you enjoyed your rest day, Dan.

Catwhoorg, did that fast chemist brew up a special potion for himself?

Tramps, is Altria the old Phillip Morris? I had no idea.

Marj, you should have been a weather woman. 

Mike, backing off is probably your best approach to running right now. Better to be healthy for the marathon than to be injured and have no shot at any speed, but a good shot at making an injury worse.

Thanks for the old post, dg. Sure brings back some names and memories.

Congrats on your 1st run in 3 months, Hemerocallis - keep up the good work.

Congrats on the smoked brisket, Twocat - I hope your arm is OK  . And good luck in the middle seat to Austin today.

Ouch, Spacityrunner - sorry about the broken tooth. I’d write a letter to the olive company, informative but not threatening, just to see what they'd do, if anything.

I’m glad so many people got to see the Boston Documentary last night, and to see Deeze in her starring role!

It must be really tough for your FIL, as well as those around him, Steve. Good for you for trying to engage him.

I went 5.65 RW miles around the neighborhood this morning in 43° temps, under an overcast sky. Pacing was moderate till I saw a runner's headlamp up ahead when I had about half a mile to go. I knew I'd never catch him, but I wanted to see how close I could stay. So that segment was a bit quicker than the rest.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

spacityrunner a chipped tooth. What a drag. I hope the fix is easy and not too costly.

Last night I checked in to my flight to Austin. Delta kindly informed me that the flight would leave from terminal 2. I get to the airport. Check my bag and the kindly Delta agent tells me it is now leaving from terminal 4. You need a bus to get from one to the other! Oh it turns out Delta did let me know in advance. Via a text while I was driving to the airport. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amazing how having a target in front of you stirs the juices.  Happens to me, but can't remember the last time I actually caught up with someone.

Deez is apparently famous.

Glad most everyone seems to be having happy runs.

3.1 for me this morning.  Speed seems to have still departed, but we'll forge onward.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

2.6 treadmill miles before flight to Florida.  Will be with lots of lawyers for the next few days, but will get in some early morning, flat running.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I'm behind a few days, and in the process of catching up I saw Tramps' reference to the wayback machine  Smile

I didn't go there but did remember when you could search coolrunning :: boomers & beyond... or something like that, tried it & found this:

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/010502-3.shtml.  sorry if someone has already posted this!   it was so much fun to read.   I feel like Dorothy when she was back from oz....  looking around, saying 'and you were there,   ... and you...'.     and so many that we haven't seen in so long.   some I still see on fb but not all.       Dave!   back in the days when you were gray... you had heel pain!

Thanks for posting this, Debbie! I read all four pages. LOTS of almost forgotten members from back then, but also many who are still with us even if under new aliases. Seems like we were chattier back then with so many chiming in multiple times during the day.

No running for me today. Not so much due to the rain (which has cleared out for a while) but because I'm waiting for a plumber to show up "between 9 and 1." But this call is partially self-inflicted, so I'll take it easy and catch up on some reading this morning.

I hope the rest of you are/were/will be out there for some good runs!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

I had a good workout at the gym this morning: Arc trainer & weights.

In non-playoff hockey news, my horrible Sabres have fired their general manager and coach this morning. Time to start all over again. For the 4th time in recent years.   An eye roll is not enough.  We need a picture where a person looks to the sky in utter frustration, falls over on their back, and disintegrates into nothingness.

Tramps

Jay--a tad competitive this morning? And, yeah, they kind of hope you don't notice but...

KSA--nice racing... on company time no less!

Dave--when an eyeroll isn't enough....

dg--aren't those old pages fun?!  It is a little sad to wonder where some of those folks are, though.

Mike--be careful.  It was the right call to back off.  You've been doing so well and have plenty in the bank to do well at Shiprock.  But you've got to get there reasonably healthy.

Went to a terrific Tinariwen concert last night.  Hypnotic, mesmerizing stuff with amazing grooves. But it did mean a late night and I felt it this morning.  My plan was to do 10 and try a few tempo miles to see how the knee would respond (I've got a sports doc appointment tomorrow, so I figured what the heck...). Instead, I ran a couple miles to warm up and quickly realized this was not the day to try speed work.  I slogged through a sluggish 10.

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Nice run on the lake trails before storms start rolling in; 1.5 mile wu, 10 mile at mp, 1.5 mile cd for 13 miles total.

Paul

So, for the first time in 3 months, I ran. Only a minute of the otherwise 15 min of brisk walk on the TM, but it was indeed a run.

And it felt marvellous!

YAY!!!!!

Liz - Dang that olive pit!!  I chipped a tooth on an almond during a race once.  It's the same race in which I fell and dislocated the middle finger on my right hand and had to go to the ER to get it fixed.  Yeah, it was a banner day. 

Erika - How fun to have the whole theater to yourself!  Did ya do any neckin' in the back row?? 

Jay - Every once in awhile a "rabbit" is around in the predawn hours.  I usually get left in his/her dust.

Well, yesterday was one of THE worst days I have had in a long time mood-wise.  I had a great 40+ min core/ST workout that eventually turned into a "why did you do that, now your butt really hurts" aftermath, followed by our usual Wednesday MMRSA $itchfest meeting wherein I and the secretary are reminded of how far behind we are as opposed to the associate telling us thanks for working so hard I know we're all drowning here, followed by a discussion with my Est Plan Dept secretary who is working on her certification to become a paralegal and I have no idea how this dept is going to support 2 full time paralegals AND an eventual new legal secretary so she recommended I talk to the atty because, hey, maybe they're planning on moving you to work with Jeff (the associate) more.  The last comment was the kicker.  I looked her right in the eye and said, "I won't do it.  That's not what I was hired to do."  *sigh* My mood went downhill from there and I never recovered.  I rarely ever get that like, but boy howdy, yesterday was a doozy!!

Anyway - I do plan to talk to my boss to see if he and the other partners have actually put any thought into what's going to happen with our dept once Amy becomes a paralegal, because there are 6 partners and 2 associates, none of them have 2 paralegals and at least 2 of them are way more busy on a regular basis than we are.

What will I do if they are thinking about changing my position?  I don't know, I'd have to put some hard thought into it.  I really like it here, but my specialty is estate planning, probate, and trust administration and that's what I was hired to do.  If they tried to move to another department, I don't know if I'd stay.

And then today I get to work at 7:00, start to unload the dishwasher and notice there's water all over the kitchen floor.  Almost an entire bottle of water had leaked out of the dispenser overnight.  *sigh*  I need a vacation . . . .

Thanks for listening . . ..

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

Catwhoorg, did that fast chemist brew up a special potion for himself?

If he did, he didn't leave any for me to use now.

After lying about how they felt for the first couple of miles, the old legs ran a lovely 6 today. Was close to cutting it short when they gave up the pretense and remembered they are strong, fit and ready to race on Saturday.

(Glow run so Sat evening)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

C-R

Hey Everyone.

Nicely played Jay and I bet you did keep up.

twocat - business travel is all glamour and the airlines are getting worse. I only fly Southwest in country. They seem to fare better. Others nt so much and stories like yours just make me shake my head.

Sorry Leslie - vent away.

Chipped tooth spacity? Ugh

Have fun with the lawyers RKSA. Oh wait did I really say that?

Got five at lunch. Feeling better these days and pace is improving. This slow recovery thing may actually work. Go figure.

Back to the salt mine.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

..hi guys......

Very Cool with the WayBack machine,,,,,,,,,,I miss millbot

(and

it's probably His fault)

=========

1 1/2 hours of FlyCasting

.......40-min PoolRun with letters

still recovering from knoxville,

.................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

followed by our usual Wednesday MMRSA $itchfest meeting wherein I and the secretary are reminded of how far behind we are as opposed to the associate telling us thanks for working so hard I know we're all drowning here,

Yup, we have those on Monday afternoons.  They're called "Team Meetings" but it always seems to be about what we are not doing right or enough of, etc. I hate them more than usual now because I am so busy, I don't really have 2.5 hours to waste not getting any work done and talking about other departments I have nothing to do with.

I'm a little confused, though.  They are talking about keeping you as paralegal but moving to a different area of law?

This Monday I managed to forego the Team Meeting.  On top of everything else, I found a file in my box with a note from the boss that said, "This is fairly straightforward, file for VA this month."  As in, next week.  I told him, "It's not that simple.  I need to prepare VA signature pages, get them to the nursing home 2 hours away for the veteran to sign, prepare and send the doctor and the nursing home forms for them to complete and hope they get them back to me before the end of the month, collect current asset and income information and documents for the claim, etc.  AND, to even have a hope of getting them back this month, it would mean dropping everything and doing it RIGHT NOW, and I have 10 other crisis cases that are in line in front of this - 3 that I'm supposed to file for this month that I have not even looked at!"  He sort of snatched the file from me and stomped off with a "Fine, I'll take care of this myself!"  (Good luck with that, like he has any idea how to file a VA claim.)  But anyway, I was so fed up with everything that I texted my office manager at lunch that I didn't feel well and was going home.  Then I logged in from home and got a day's work done and escaped the dreaded Team Meeting.

And, I have Medicaid hearings the next 3 Monday afternoons, which will not make the boss happy, but pleases me no end....

Somehow yesterday I pulled a muscle in my back/waist/hip area, I think just by getting out of the car.  Ridiculous!  And it hurts like the dickens whenever I move a certain way, which is constantly.  I feel like an old person.

Okay, now, I am going to go find some cheese to go with my whine....

4.1 miles for me today on the TM.

Off to watch DD's lacrosse games.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

And then today I get to work at 7:00, start to unload the dishwasher and notice there's water all over the kitchen floor.  Almost an entire bottle of water had leaked out of the dispenser overnight.  *sigh*  I need a vacation . . . .

Thanks for listening . . ..

Hey Leslie, if you are the one who unloads the dishwasher and cleans up messes, I think that means job security...

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

holly and leslie: you make retirement seem even better than it is. Smile

hang in there.

Thanks for posting this, Debbie!

I read all four pages.

me too

dg--aren't those old pages fun?! 

It is a little sad to wonder where some of those folks are, though.

me too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)