Masters Running

Wednesday, April 3 Chilly Runs (Read 50 times)

Couple of you guys made me Big grin.

Ribs - Take walk, sleep in, lounge around in your PJs with coffee . . . all these things keep me from running miles.

5 miles this a.m.  Sort of a botched tempo run.  Miles 3 and 4 were suppose to be tempo miles, but when I turned around at Mile 2.5, I had a brain fart and hit the lap button.  Took me almost .20 to realize what I did.  Oh well.

Then had to take Mr. Mr. to the vet for yet another abscess.  Got bit in the butt, more than likely by either Chico or Goofy since they don't like him.  The last one we were able to take care of ourselves.  This one, we tried last night and he, in turn, tried to bite the carp out of The Hub.  Guess the butt area is a bit more tender than the side.  Twenty minutes later and $135 lighter, walked out of the vet with his behind partially shaved and two good size puncture wounds exposed and . . . well, I won't go into further detail in case some is eating.  *sigh*  Life in ye ole household is not kitty nirvana at the moment.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

talk sexy to me, baby!

(seriously, this cold spring is doing funny things to my brain)

Snort!

With you there on that one, Janie.

Good to see you back around, Mary.  I think we're in the same spot on the rebuild

Leslie, good that you're on top of the AT quickly.

Mari, I'm way behind too on the gardening, with only a partial excuse due to the longevity of the snow and ice.  I need to make a decision on starting tomato seeds by this weekend, and the dahlias are crying at me to be pulled out of cold storage and planted up.

3 miles on the TM this morning with only one brief pause to change machines at 3 miles.  Longest continuous run in over 4 months.  Everything is fine.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Yes he would...

I may melt anyway, as I am stuck this morning dealing with paperwork and logistics, and by the time I get out to run later it will likely be hot. To me anyway.

For the uninitiated let me translate:  It will be about 35° where rhoon phast is running.  Sounds nice eh?  That is 35° kelvin he is talking about!

hopeful4ever let me add to the welcome backs!  Have fun baby sitting the new arrival!

Yet another longest remaining run in my rather compressed Boston training cycle.  Today was 16 in a pair of new sneakers.  All went really well.  I am not sure why.  But I finished in under a 8:20 pace and felt strong the whole way.  Tonight is a night I have been looking forward to for some time.  I am going with a friend to an event in NYC called Whiskey Live.  This is a whiskey show that travels around the world.  A lot of the major and many of the smaller distillers will be there.  You get coupons you can use to taste their wares.  My guess is you get a thimble full.  But with whiskey 9 or so thimbles can really add up!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wooohooo WINDY Wednesday!!  It's a tad bit blowy around these parts!!   Had a great swim training session this morning then went out for an easy 5.2 miles avg pace 9:19 ...... so excited for Boston!!

Welcome back Mary and Janie!!

Maine - sorry about your mil.  we are worrying about my dh's sister showing signs of early alzheimers at the young age of 61Sad

karin - still praying for a safe, speedy recovery for you!

Ribs - taper time must be tough for runners like you who love to run every day and rack up the big miles -- i've always been more of a 3-4x/week runner so it's not a huge shift as I decrease the mileage

Happy Wednesday my friends!!

denise

janie b good

Speaking of poetry- I've been writing it for many years. I had 2 of my poems published in an online poetry journal this March. Many of my poems are about running and music(mostly jazz).

henrun!, that is AWESOME!  btw, april is National Poetry Month (for those that did not know).

and someone refresh my memory--. who was it at CoolRunning that used to get a little grouchy when anyone posted anything in the daily that was non-running related??  ... too funny, the things we remember.

and didn't we have to pay a fine?   ... put it on my tab.

p.s.  thanks for all the "welcome backs"

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike--FWIW, you might want to be careful what you post online about work.  It's a fairly simple matter to Google someone and come up with an RA post.  Even if he is, uh, less-than-ideal.

Dang!  I thought I was safe in here.  You are right, though.

No run, tonight--just some light weights.

Okay--DW wants me to go do something--so I guess, I'd better go.  See ya!

New skirt in town

SO chilly here!  I would love a 50F day, but there just doesn't seem to be any spring-y weather coming!  At least it didn't snow today as it did yesterday...

7.3 easy miles today.  Move along, nothing special to see here!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Bushrat Runner

Monday Mariposai ran me into the ground. Luckily I was just dying as we finished our 5-ish miles, so it worked out about right. And of course, Twocat saved me with a well-timed mid-uphill-torture-fest phone call which was much appreciated. And of course I ran afoul of some nebulous Spareribs rule regarding attire.

Today I was certain things would be different. No Mariposai to push me beyond my limits. I borrowed a sleeveless shirt, which I thought might do the trick because it was 61F out, which doesn't really sound too hot. And I set out to have a nice easy run in between all sorts of crazy between work and FAA paperwork (it was a really busy day...).

What I found again, is that it is just plain too hot down here in America. So I started with a borrowed shirt on my back.

But I finished with it on my hand.

I also learned that 6 miles is one mile farther than I should run. On the way out I attributed my slow pace, high heart rate, and general fatigue to the heat and the uphill. Besides, the heart rate calibration I did a few years ago is really not still valid since I did it when I was running more. Of course, the minor detail that out of shape and older doesn't make higher heart rates work better might have been factored in, but why bother with logic, anyway?

So after I turned around and started back downhill, the running was definitely easier, but I was still having trouble with a heart rate that was too high. And just about the time I reached 4.75 miles and the one real uphill on the way home, I had the sudden realization that I should have, in fact, run 4.75 miles for the day. But I still had a mile and quarter to go, so I slogged it in with only an occasional walk.

And did I mention it was hot? All of 64F. Who can handle these temperature, anyway?

I think spring must be coming, based on the kind of  loosey goosey posts today.  Smile

Rhoon, 65F is my official melting temperature.  I never acclimate.

Speaking of HRs, mine has quite suddenly gone down about 10 bpm, on similar runs, but I don't feel like I've increased my mileage all that much.  I am also very cold at night, wonder if this is more a hormonal thing (thyroid? perimenopause?) than conditioning.

Henrun, I would love to see your poetry.

Mike and Hopeful, I thought I had the most insufferable boss.  She is all bark and no bite though.  Today a coworker (that worked with my boss and I for just a few hours today) told me she has no idea how I can work one-on-one with this boss everyday.  I said, well, 1) I think I deserve a medal, and 2) I have the patience of a Saint.  And since she is blind, I don't have to worry about her finding this post!

We have been having wonderful very mild, spring like weather.  So given my limited free time, I ran last night after dinner.  5 miles.  Fettucini is not the best pre-run food, but I managed ok at a slow pace.  The dog loved it.

Then I came home and found the source of the weird smell.  Dog puke on the bed, chock full of easter egg tin foil wrappers!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Troy, I hope all that FAA red tape stuff gets worked out soon before you die. It can be messy flying bodies back home. and given the fact that you do the flying, that might make it even more problematic.

8 miles for me. 1:13:52. I don't really look at my garmin much when I run. just go by feel. Plus, I kind of like to build up that anticipation and surprise of what the garmin will tell me. Tonight it told me: 9.31, 9.34, 9.39, 9.19, 9.06, 9.03, 8.59, 8.37. I was good with that Smile

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Troy - although I hope you get to get going in the new bug-smasher (any name yet?; she’s a beaut), if not, maybe fly up the pike to Ellensburg and join nancy running this year’s Yakima River Canyon Marathon or, if she’s too fast, which she is, pace the walk/runners bringing up the rear or the even slower walkers taking up to eight or nine hours. I’m hoping to be one of them but it’s still up, way up, in the air, . . no, not your kind of air xx .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... xx . ps - based on moving from Anchorage-to-Singapore-and-back in those days, it’s a lot easier to get used to the heat than the cold. I bet just this little exposure makes King Salmon seem like the deep freeze. Good luck. In fact, you already look like you’re getting colder in your cockpit avatar xx ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ xx . pps - I am very serious about YRCM. It’d be a beautiful walk for your son too. Sheep and elk, ospreys, eagles, hawks and falcons up on the steep slopes with heron and waterfowl sharing the river with drifters fishing for spring cutthroat. Trains too, to say nothing of interesting and fun other people.. No wonder we love running so much. http://www.ontherunevents.com/yrcm/ ...xx/ ................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... xx ppps - when I retired, I thought I’d be the best boss I ever had but, unfortunately, with nothing else to do, it’s hard not to say yes to so many pro bonos and other projects nobody else will do. /xx//................................................................................................................................................ .............................................................................................. ............................ ........................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ...............................................................................................................................................................................................xx pppps - I like tramps' concern too, MikeE. Maybe just say it in opposite land and we’ll get it. Do you know Japanese? .BAKA. KIRAI. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ xxx \ultra-ps: oh, tammy, you are running so well. I think we all share your son's pride. However, maybe I'm getting too old (can't even make paragraphs anymore) but any mention about anything other than being healthy, wealthy and wise even to deal with government red tape is creepy.<(delete>>>. sorry.</(delete>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

The new bug smasher is named Island Girl. Somebody named her before us, and it seems like a lovely and fitting name, and matches the parrot on the tail. And it has the name Island Girl on both sides just behind the wing. Apparently a reference to the fact that the model was a 'Caribbean.'

YRCM would be fun, but I will have to see what shakes out. I have a lot of friends and relatives and I keep running into more, so I am feeling a bit overcommitted. Maybe some of them would like to fly to Ellensburg with me. That would be fun. My son would not enjoy a 26 mile walk though, two miles is about a mile too far to keep him on board the program...

Marathon Maniac #957

and someone refresh my memory--. who was it at CoolRunning that used to get a little grouchy when anyone posted anything in the daily that was non-running related??  ... too funny, the things we remember.

Big grin  I remember being the recipient of some snarkiness related to that, given that I tend to post non-running-related things regularly.  I'm glad we don't run this place that way anymore...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Troy, I hope all that FAA red tape stuff gets worked out soon before you die. It can be messy flying bodies back home. and given the fact that you do the flying, that might make it even more problematic.

Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."