Masters Running

Monday, 8.15.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sometimes, life bites you in the butt... As promised, I only walked t2 easy miles at yesterday's racewalking training session, and spent most of my time coaching the other walkers. Then I went home and, as long as I was already sweaty, decided to mow the lawn before grabbing my shower. That went well till I apparently angered a bee that retaliated by stinging me in my ear. Dang! But I survived and finished the lawn with a throbbing ear. Then, as long as I was already sweaty, I decided to take a load of rotting wood from a couple of old firewood racks to the local transfer station. Then I finally took a shower. Later in the day, for no apparent reason, I developed a pain in my right hip/butt. I have no idea what caused it. I did some foam roller work on it last night, and worked both hips with a stretch band this morning, but the pain in my butt is still there. I only hope it will go away as mysteriously as it came. But the good news is that it made me forget about my ear for a while!

So I had a scheduled and forced rest day this morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//............Ice yer butt, and slap some tobacco on yer ear........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning guys and all to follow. Wow Jay - it sounds like you had quite the day yesterday. And getting stung in the ear? Ouch! I understand icing a sore butt Tom, but what does tobacco do for a bee sting?  And after watching Michael Phelps swim and reading a big article in our local paper on cupping, I'm ready to give that a try

7.2 miles this morning. Still pretty muggy but the temp was only 59° at 5:30. I've got a half marathon and the Tough Mudder coming up at the beginning of October. I've been trying to do more upper body stuff at the Y because so much of the Tough Mudder is upper body strength, but if I don't start running better, my team is going to leave me in its dust anyway!

Nice to see Deez pop in. I wonder how Marj and Henry are doing in the Hamptons....

Have a great Monday everyone.

Henrun

Nice to see Deez pop in. I wonder how Marj and Henry are doing in the Hamptons....

Have a great Monday everyone.

We had a great time for a couple of days including beach time but my DBIL doesn't have AC and high 90's temps cut our stay short. Came home Saturday afternoon to our AC and the new Merle Streep movie on Sunday and lots of Olympic viewing

Sayhey! MM#130

"............Ice yer butt, and slap some tobacco on yer ear........"     might be good advice for a lot of ailments: it will (A) keep you busy and (B) distract you from whatever else is awry in your life.  Plus only your good friends will care enough to come near you.

The weekend was interesting.......Kevin's karma held all weekend long for our Sox, yay.

.......so did my tiredness.  We stopped for water at about 10.5 miles yesterday and I would have been happy with that being the end.  And I'd only run 8 on Saturday.  We were 3+ miles away from our cars, however, so I went on until mile 12, then reset and counted the last 2 as "cool down" miles so I could just jog along slowly.   I think I should have eaten more carbs Saturday night.

Our women were all in the top 10 (6,7,9) at the marathon.  Fabulous.

Hiya deez, H&M, Jlynne and all.

Just shy of 8 this morning.  At about 4, I was thinking it was almost pleasant, but by the time I got home, was dripping.

Beautiful rainbow last night, one great big arc.  We try and get out for walks and were rewarded!

Glad Adele put to rest rumours of her at the Superbowl half.  She's great, but as she wisely noted, not your ideal SB show (Hello).

grins on Monday morning, yes, you can!

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...actually

the tobacco works as a ganglionic blocking agent,

and closes off the blood vessels so it won't spread......

many Old Pharmacists and Railroad Men swear by it...........

plus it gives you an excuse to spit

Loved Hallar's wife's comment.

Holly, Portland is considered a very walker-friendly marathon.  You won't be alone.

I spent the weekend at MBE's house.  It was warm, and so I only did 6.21 miles on Saturday around Green Lake (wanted 10 miles).  Then Sunday, Discovery park, 2 laps for 5.5 miles.  It was nice not to be in my own house, like a little vacation.  It was hard to sleep Sat night though - no air conditioning and his house was up into the 80s.  My runs were very slow...hopefully that's the heat talking.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Still tapering in anticipation of another blessed trip to GS-land tomorrow.
                  It’s bad enough to have your own pain-in-the-butt

but even worse when it’s someone else's pain in your butt,

especially when you don’t seem to be able to do anything to help them. 

Olympic importand trivia - at 41 steps for 100m in less than ten seconds,

'5" Usain Bolt has a cadence of 264 steps per minutes.

The others' 44 steps = 256 steps per minute.

Olympic triplet marathoners - it might only be the second time in more than 15 years as an aol-user but,

at last, there was something of my interest in their incessantly annoying teaser links.
                  http://www.tmz.com/photos/2016/08/12/leila-liina-and-lily-luik-estonian-olympic-runners-photos/images/2016/08/11/0811-olympic-triplets22-jpg 8/14

ps steve - that's why they invented thongs, except for dogs.

and except that that sure doesn't look like pebbles on which he is.

Five miles. Three of the barefoot on a pebble covered beach.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

It’s bad enough to have your own pain-in-the-butt

but even worse when it’s someone else's pain in your butt,

Tomwhite - does that work for skeeter bites, too?

Jlynne - another Tough Mudder?   You are a tough one!

Enke - 80's and no AC - that would be tough sleeping for me as well.

No run for me today, just about 35 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...never tried it on 'skeeter bites,

but

my CrazyBrother is VERY allergic to wasp stings,

seen it work on him several times

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, masters!

Jay, that sounds like quite a day.  You do know you're allowed to take more than one shower a day, don't you? 

Am I the only one not watching the Olympics?  We don't have cable, and NBC's website for non-cable subscribers is dreadful.  Anyone care to share your cable login? Pretty please?

Sorry some of you have the dreaded H&H to deal with. I guess I shouldn't mention that for some of my run yesterday, I needed a wind shirt and gloves!  I did a spectacular loop in the Indian Peaks wilderness, crossing two passes above 12,000 ft.  The total was about 28.5 miles.  It turned into kind of an epic day, because one of the women wasn't really trained for a run this long with so much elevation gain, and she kept going slower and slower...   it took us 13.5 hours to finish, and it was dark at the end.  We only had one cell phone for light, so it was a good thing the moon was bright!  Still, everyone stayed in good spirits, the weather was perfect, and the views spectacular.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

The Estonian triplets must've been the three identical white (aka blonde) heads I briefly caught early in the race.

I'm drowning at work, so it's a quick in and out just say, "HEY!!"

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

What a Monday.

I did run 6 miles

Then was off to the office to deal with dozens of issues...

Glad to a song in my heart and races to look forward to.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm drowning at work, so it's a quick in and out just say, "HEY!!"

sounds like you guys need what you're making it legal for your clients to get for their stress.

Otherwise, maybe just change jobs with Holly.   

I don't know why everything is seeming so funny recently

Maybe because they aren't.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Coastwalker, I hope you heal fast.

Aamos, to be running in FL this time of year. Wow.

Wildchild, your moonlight run is very inspiring.

SteveP