Masters Running

Thursday July 8 Master runs and whatever ... (Read 418 times)

Good morning all.

For those of you who are wondering about Erika/Erik, having met her I can assure it's Erika.  There can be no mistake.    That settles that once and for all.

I ran 8 miles this morning with miles 5, 6, and 7 at Tempo pace (7:47, 7:49, and 7:40). This one was a real sweatfest and it took me a good hour and a shower to get cooled down enough to put on work clothes.  But I'm Happy with this one! Much work needs to be done but this is a good start.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning all.

For those of you who are wondering about Erika/Erik, having met her I can assure it's Erika.  There can be no mistake.    That settles that once and for all.

I ran 8 miles this morning with miles 5, 6, and 7 at Tempo pace (7:47, 7:49, and 7:40). This one was a real sweatfest and it took me a good hour and a shower to get cooled down enough to put on work clothes.  But I'm Happy with this one! Much work needs to be done but this is a good start.

Bill

Nice run Bill. I did 8 myself this morning in the soup too. It turned into a bit of a progression run, each mile getting just a bit faster, avg for the 8 was 8:32. Hadn't run since Saturday - life has really gotten in the way lately. Good to be back out there. And now I want to meet Erika.

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice speedy runs to start the day, Breger and EHH3!

I went to the grocery last night and got Rainier cherries for $3.99/lb. and blueberries and blackberries for $1/pint.  I love this time of year.  

No run today as I give my twingy knee a little break (although really it feels fine today, but still...).  Instead I did some Exercise TV On Demand: an 11-minute Morning Yoga video and a 43-minute Jackie-O’s-Full-Body-Circuit video (this one actually took closer to 60 minutes because I kept having to pause it to take breaks).

I hate that Jackie.

She hurted me.

And made me feel wimpy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, gang!

Byll - nice tempo run in the H&H!

Mariposai - Joey had excellent sight-seeing advice.  If you can only get as far as Freeport (LLBean), visit Wolf's Neck State Park for some beautiful hiking.  The admission price appears to be negotiable.  We balked at $4.5 apiece so the ranger knocked it down to $6.   I've only been to the Maine Runner in Portland - it's a really nice little running store, and the folks that helped us with shoes really seem to know their business.  It's only a mile or two off the Interstate - not hard to find at all.   If you get to Freeport, and you are a BBQ fan, be sure to get the baby back ribs at Buck Naked's. 

dg - the Bikilas have a completely different sole than the earlier models - a bit thicker and more "tread-like".  The liner is smoother than the other models - the KSO's felt like sandpaper after trying on the Bikilas.  Of course, they charge about $15 more dollars for the Bikilas, and it appears that the Bikilas are only sold in bone fide running stores. 

6 hilly, hot and humid miles @ 10:19 and 160 AHR.  It was much better this morning than yesterday -  at least it was overcast and breezy this morning.  Yesterday it was well over 80 degrees with full sun and oppressive humidity.   I was chased by a pit bull yesterday morning.  I saw a guy on the other side of a stone fence - he was looking down and talking, so I figured he was talking to a dog.  As a passed by, I heard a deep growl and bark but kept running because I also figured the dog was on a leash.  Wrong.  Fortunately, he was an obedient pit bull - he was on my heels before I could react, but he gave up quickly when the owner called him.  Scared the crap out of me in the meantime. 

Good runs all!

My agility friend didn't get the message that the class was canceled Tuesday night because of the heat, so we drove 4 hours for nothing.   I hope the dogs enjoyed the ride......

Good runs all

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'll join the sweat fest, just not quite as far or as fast as Byll and EGH.  3.8 miles in 31:00.  I stopped sweating in the shower, but by the time I made it into the bedroom to get dressed, I was dripping again.  AC in the car felt REALLY good.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning Bill and all to follow. It sounds like you're right on target for a "magnificant" marathon in October. That little break has served you well. I'm a great admirer of you runners who seem to thrive on hot and humid conditions. Don't know how you do it.

I'm hoping that Slo's family is doing okay today. Good wishes to all of you.

This has been a not-so-good summer for me. I developed a case of plantar fasciitis after running a half marathon in May, then attempting to ramp up miles for the Twin Cities in October. I took a couple of weeks off, went back to my old running shoes and started taking anti-inflammatories, icing, stretching etc after every run. Thought I was back on track and began to start doing longer runs again. Last Saturday I did a 12 miler and felt okay. I could feel my left foot a little, came home and did all of the precautionary things. Sunday I thought I'd try just a 5 or 6 mile run to keep things loose. I got about 3 miles out and tripped on some sidewalk that had raised up because of tree roots. I hit the ground like a ton a bricks. Tore up my left knee, hit my chin on the cement and used my left wrist to plant on the way down. After reading about Karin and some other's recaps about their falls, you all hit it spot on. You know you're going down, just try to relax and land without hurting anything too badly. My knee and chin were a bloody mess and my wrist was really sore but didn't feel broken.  I was three miles from home with no cell phone so I had no choice but to keep going. No broken anything, but boy howdy, I was a hurting dog. I've been using the eliptical all week trying to get over the stiffness and sore body parts. I'm sorry to be such a whiner - I know there are so many people with much bigger problems right now. I was so pumped up for the Twin Cities. Now I'm way behind schedule and all of those nasty thoughts are back in my head about not getting the training in in order to finish a full marathon. Another good thing?  I get to go to my 40th high school class reunion this weekend with a big scab on my chin and a kneecap that looks like raw meat. I'm sure everyone will remember me

Slo

labored thru 6.5 miles. This weather is usually reserved for late July and August........it's just too miserable to want to do anything outside.

My sister drove in from Ames yesterday afternoon and was forced to pull over twice because of the heavy down pours. If we can trust the forecast it sounds like we may get a break tomorrow !

Much to get done....hoping to take a half day and head up north a little earlier than originally planned.

Good Strong runs wished to all !

Slo

Jlynne....Thanks for the wishes. Our family is doing well. Dad looks to be comfortable.

Don't give up on the Twin Cities ! ........And as far as going to a class reunion....I would rather be seen with road rash on my chin vs 30lbs around my waste !

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning gang!

JLynne - so sorry you are having so many difficulties right now!   Like Slo said, don't give up on Twin Cities yet.   You have lots of time yet, and it'll be a fun event no matter what!

I had visions of fast running this morning, and in respect to the heat and humidity, I did okay.  10:19 / 9:51 / 9:54 / 9:59   and Enke - my fastest time was 8:08!!  Wink   I ran in between rain showers although as much as I was sweating, I don't think that mattered a whole heck of alot.    DH went out Salmon fishing on the big lake last night and brought home 7 of them.  

Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

Jlynne, here is some butterfly hugs for you!! Like other's said...don't give up on your fall marathon. You are doing great. Just make sure you heal well. There is plenty of time for training.

SueT and Vista, thanks for the great suggestions on things to see and do while in Maine. We are sure looking forward to seeing that part of the country. I am currently trying to work out a meet-up with Denise. 

I will definitely try the BBQ....I LOVE BBQ ribs.

Tetsujin, I will try to post my hiking pictures as soon as time allows. Every night there is so much to do when I get home. Garden is going crazy and there is some gardening work that I like to do in the evenings to relax.

7 miles today with each mile being faster and hillier. 

Enkie, I am still smiling about your post yesterday.

Byll, great workout today!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Nice run Mary - you're getting faster by the week.

I slogged through a sloppy, sloshy, sluggish sauna of a run.  10 drippy miles.

At one point, there was a rooster crossing the street.  I came within about a foot of him, and asked out loud "Why are you crossing the road?"  Fortunately, he didn't respond.  But I did see three hens on the other side of the street.

Age old mystery solved! 

Wait. So Erik's now a girl? Like, with cooties? Huh?

6.3 slow miles, thinking that "earlier" meant "cooler."

It's nice to know that I can still be naîve as I age.

Walt

Kimmie

Morning all.... just checking in.  Day 6 of no running and resting from surgery.  This is the longest and only lay-off I"ve had since 2003.   I'm trying to be good and go the whole 2 weeks, even though I feel much better.  I would hate to tear stitches or something.

I guess it's still possible to run Steamtown in the Fall.  I'll just have to see how August goes.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Jlynne...hope you heal soon. There is plenty of time. Your scabs will be an ice breaker and when you say you are marathon training, they will bow! Smile nice runs in the humidity! 6 uneventful humid miles in 54:30 (9:05, AHR 156) Pool running at lunch

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

craneium, that's great that you had your second consecutive pain free run.  wild, it's good to have you back from your fantastic Scotland trip.  I am anxious for the pictures.  holly, I hope the twingy knee is over being twingy.  jlynne, sorry to hear about the fall with scrapes and aches.  At your reunioun, you can tell people about the advantages of being a runner.  kimmie, it sounds like you are being smart post operation.

Nice long runs for lame and PBJ.

This morning, it was about 70°, humid, and there was a light breeze.  I got in 5 miles in a bit under 50 minutes for a 9:57 pace.  We're supposed to get a little easing of the temperature and humidity.  I'm glad to see that, especially as I plan to show up at an 8K in the little tourist town of Port Austin on Saturday.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS