Masters Running

Tuesday, 1.10.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, you're doing great work in the pool. Should you be signing up for a Masters' swim team?

Good 5 on the TM, Berthaslayer. Sorry about the dead car battery.

Good 5er, Tramps. Good luck on your travels. I'm glad you liked the coyote/wolf (coywolf) special.

Good work on the bike, TomWhite. Enjoy the warm weather in a couple of days.

Good to be wary of the ice, Catwhoorg, and good 4-miler.

Good short run and cross-training C-R.

Hooray - Leslie played hooky from work! You more than earned that. Be careful of that hammy that is clearly not healed yet. I hope yoou don't get flooded.

Good 2fer on tired, achy legs, Enke.

Nice 6 miler to the park, Paul. I hope you find the YakTraks for the weather that is heading your way.

Nice TM 6er, Flats. The resolutioners are already starting to drop out? That was quick...

Mike, France just passed a law that people are not required to read/respond to work emails during their down time. We should all adopt that policy too, for our own sanity. I hope the chiro app't worked, and that Eric fares well in court. And I hope you enjoyed that drink!

Good idea to back off on the icy roads after 2, Mariposai. Very considerate of you to not kick the EP of the TM.

Good 4+ on the TM, Evanflein, without eyecicles.

Good 2+ on day 3, Steve. Sorry that Tag couldn't tag along. You sure work with some interesting people.

I had slept very poorly on Sunday night, and so was dead on my feet by the time bedtime rolled around last night. I slept better, and even slept in (till 4:45). I contemplated skipping my workout, or postponing it till later in the day, but that rarely works, and I didn't want to lose the day, so I got up and hurried out. At 10F  (0 WC), it was warmer than yesterday. Because I was late, I alternated walking and easy running miles, and got back just in time to wake up DW on schedule after going 5.1 miles. DW was supposed to go snowshoeing with a friend this morning, but the friend called 15 min before they were supposed to meet and said she was canceling because she was still in bed. DW wasn't happy...

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Holly, you're doing great work in the pool. Should you be signing up for a Masters' swim team?

+1  There's a Master's swim group that meets at our Y at 5:00 AM 2 or 3 days a week. I'll bet if you checked into the pool schedule, you could hook up with a team.

I always enjoy sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading Jay's excellent recaps

Hang in there Mike. You're a great father. And tell your boss to stop sending you e-mails after work hours!

Trying to channel my inner Erika this morning. The below zero temps finally left us yesterday and we got about 4 inches of snow overnight. It's still coming down, but felt like a heat wave at 32°  I slapped on my YaxTrax and headed out the door at 5:00. The plows hadn't come through at all and it was tricky going, trying to find tire tracks to run in, keep my balance and stay upright. I managed 4 miles, running when there was decent footing. When a car came down the street, I had to veer off into the deep stuff to stay out of its way. Shoes and socks were pretty wet but it felt great to get outside!

Unfortunately, no school delays. "Brunch for lunch" today: French toast sticks, hash browns and omelets. Stay warm/dry everyone!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I always enjoy sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading Jay's excellent recaps

Me, too.  Problem is, I probably shouldn't be doing it at work.   But, as long as I'm here..................

I wimped out when this morning's temp was 10° lower than I expected and had set out clothes for and I didn't feel like rummaging for more.  An extra hour of sleep did feel nice.  Of course, I have now set myself up for possible damp run tomorrow and even earlier later in the week.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP, I wasn't sure what you were getting at in the stuff about the windows. Are you saying that you are getting some more work out of this? If so, good for you! And what kind of door goes for $100K??

Jay, living in a "developed" suburban area like I do, I never feel like I'm in any physical danger from the wildlife when running. But there's been a case or two of people being attacked by a deer (usually males in mating season or a doe with a fawn) and it was not that far away that a runner was attacked and killed by a couple of vicious "cane corso" breed dogs (the owners were sentenced to 5+ years for manslaughter). But I've also enjoyed seeing coyotes around and the idea that they might mate with wolves is a bit scary. Of course, there are no wolves around here, so I guess I'm OK on that score.

No workouts for me since Mondays and Tuesdays will be my TaxAide days thru April 18, although we're on a delayed schedule today due to getting 5" or so of snow overnight.  I have to say that dealing with the ACA stuff is very complicated -- probably the most difficult part to learn. However, they say that 95% of our clients will be seniors with Medicare, which is a no-brainer to handle (check a box and you're done).

I'm hoping that I have something to report tomorrow, when it's supposed to be mild enough that I might even be able to run outside, assuming the snow melts off by then.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay and Jlynne - There is a Masters Swim Team that meets at 5am at my Y.  However, 1) they are MUCH better swimmers that I am (I still rest at the end of each length), and 2) I am not willing to get up an hour earlier to get there at that time....

Mike - stop reading work stuff after work.  Every time I read a disturbing work email or text in the evening, I stress about it all night.

4.2 miles for me today on the TM and 60 weighted squats.  I am determined to fight the "old lady butt" syndrome....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Hi All,

just checking in from my snow prison. Actually, I escaped yesterday. We had just enough time to get out and DH managed to bring David and I to my parents house who live a few miles from my office.  DH barely made it home, in white-out conditions wit h vehicles sliding all over the place. My dad will drive me to work and David to school this week and hoping by the weekend, enough snow will have melted to get home. My car is still completely stuck at home. My husbands 4WD truck had a hard time getting out of our driveway. But at least for now I can get into the office and David can get to school. I've never seen so much snow here. ever. and now the rains that are coming are historic also.  DH is  stuck at home alone though - with the dogs. 

running? well, I've run once, only 2.2 miles so far this year. Needless to say, I'm changing my HM in mid Feb to the 5k. I'm so far behind my training now.

Tammy

. . . . now the rains that are coming are historic also.  

Have they hit you yet?  We're getting totally dumped on.  All the rivers around here are at flood stage or higher.  We drove down to Ferndale yesterday to look at the Eel River.  First time in years it's been full, and supposedly as of this morning is was 4 ft over flood stage.  I feel sorry for the dairies and ranchers when this happens.  Trying to find dry pasture for the sheep and cattle is tough right now.

I had to look up the "cane corso" breed.  What an awful way to die.  *shudder*

I make it a point to NOT look at my work emails if I'm not at work.  Work gets enough of me day in and day out.  My time is my time.

After work, I'll be switching today's run day for tomorrow's stat bike workout.  Supposedly the rain is supposed to start letting up tomorrow.

MTA:  This photos is from yesterday in Ferndale.  Um . . . . I'm thinking that wasn't the smartest move on the bus driver's part . . . 

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

Another visual of Ferndale from high in the sky.  Little damp down there.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

we have started getting heavy rains here too Leslie but then at night the temps get low enough that it turns to snow again. We started getting mostly heavy, non stop rains on Saturday but because the temps are just hovering right about 35-38 during the day, it's not warm enough to do any significant melting of the snow. it's just a ton of super slop. Rains are supposed to continue until about Friday, then it looks like we might have a couple days of reprieve before they start up again. of course, that's 4 days from now the forecast will change 10x before then.   But they are anticipating major flooding here too and creeks/rivers are already rising very quickly.

Tammy

pfriese

Wow on the Pacific coast weather!!!

We're having another pretty day here (just windy), perfect for getting to the park for some intervals around the pond. 7.8 miles total for today.

Paul

mrrun

Good luck to those of you on the left coast

I was going to go out at 9 am, but discovered a 9:30 hair appt, so I walked there instead.  Ran a few miles at noon on paths that had been cleared, so mostly snow/ice free.  It felt almost comfortable at high 20's, sunny and no wind.

non-running - we had some placemats made from photos at shutterfly and they came out really nice - time to decide on a couple more

stay out of all extreme weather conditions (tho some of wimps think the alaskan are kinda extreme...)

marj

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

4.3 miles today.

Yesterday was a good run. Today utter opposite. Hills were not Lori friendly (although they didn't pose too much problem for hubby). I don't particularly care for snow running even if it is pretty.  Today Bertha won. Weather permitting I'm going to attempt a Mulligan tomorrow. Its raining right now so not sure what tomorrow's conditions bring.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

spacityrunner

4.1 miles for me today.  It was so warm out...+70f and windy, very very windy but what a great day for a run!

Trails Rock!

Wow Leslie and Tammy.  Snow and rain and flooding.

It's totally fine here, although school was delayed 2 hours this morning, due to a fear of freezing rain and black ice.  But I don't think the roads actually were icy, it was maybe 2 degrees warmed than they expected.

I went out and ran.  Still streaking!  5 miles today.  The first few miles now always feel really sluggish....dead legs, no energy, but then it gets a little better.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Things did not go well for Eric in court, today.  As much as he likes to blame everybody else for his troubles, its his own fault and I don't know when, if ever, he will realize it.  Oh well--we just keep chugging along.

We got more snow, today, which meant I spent an hour after work shoveling.  I didn't sleep very well, last night, either, so I'm going to take another day off from running.  I think we're taking Eric out for his birthday, tomorrow (that will be real fun) so I probably won't get back at it until Thursday.  Which is fine...my body parts are starting to fall apart.

Just to pile on...on my way home from work, Ryan called from Oregon, to tell me his car is broken down.  From the sounds of it, I think he needs a new alternator.  I told him to have it towed to a garage and we'll take care of it.

I'm never having kids again!

Okay--that's all I got.  Thanks for listening.  See ya!

[[[mikeE]]

...sorry this weather is nailing everybody

==========

30-40 mile an hour winds today

30-min HH on Greenway

was wondering

how to tell if it was 40-miles and hour,,,,,,,,,,,then one of 'em hit me

turns out

it's pretty easy to tell the difference

also

40-min PoolRun, cf, ris, paw

............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....