Masters Running

Tuesday, January 1 Happy New Year Runs (Read 293 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy New Year of the Snake./.

Born 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965, 1953, 1941. People born in the year of the Snake are deep thinkers, speak very little and possess tremendous wisdom. They are fortunate in money matters and will always be able to obtain it. They are determined in what they do and hate to fail

. .  ------------------------------------

Made up a little for missing our annual New Year:s Day Resolution Run 5K and the Polar Bear Plunge I love so much into Lake Washington (that feels as refreshing to the overheated runner as jumping into a cold creek used to feel from the hot sauna at a winter skiing cabin) with a 5K run on my own around the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

It marks the first time since since 1977 (when I thought it was necessary even for someone who was already in shape from skiing all winter long to train for running 26.2 miles) that non-event, training miles have exceeded official event miles.   Now I just have to think of something to do with all this excessive training. :

------------------------

;

ps- no matter what he says, I was not one of the people in TW`s swimming group this morning.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

.Greet the year with grace, like TW's swimming crowd, and goofy laughter.

+1 what a lovely expression - let's add good health

Happy 2013 all.  Ran 4 this morning - temps were fine, wind was not.  Off later to see the ice sculptures.

marj

No run for me today.

DW and I had a "get away night" last night. That is get away from the house,7 kids,and dog. Stayed at a local hotel,ate an expensive lobster/crab leg dinner,had a few drinks. (I fell asleep at 10 PM,sorry DW).So I woke in a hotel room at 4AM and watched ESPN till she woke at about 9AM. Just a lazy day for us. But had fun last night!

Jlynne,are you also a Badgers fan? If so- Go Badgers! We'll see if they can actually WIN a Rose Bowl this time.

Roon Phast-1 mile swim yesterday? I heard in Alaska real men do that swim in the ocean this time of year.Big grin

Tetsujin- "Born 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965, 1953, 1941. People born in the year of the Snake are deep thinkers, speak very little and possess tremendous wisdom. They are fortunate in money matters and will always be able to obtain it. They are determined in what they do and hate to fail"

Year of the snake. I was born in 65'. That description pretty much fits my personality to a tee!

Two exceptions "tremendous wisdom"- Well,I'd say I do OK.

"Fortunate in Money matters"- Not! My ex wife is doing pretty well at my expense,as far as me............

;

ps- no matter what he says, I was not one of the people in TW`s swimming group this morning.

...yeah,

but you'd fit right in//..........also, you haven't seen some of the LifeGuards...........Wink

sorry C-R

but

G0 'Bama!!!!!!!

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

No matter what TW says, he and those others are the real heroes of workouts. for the rest of us it's fairly easy to do.  Keep at it Tom.

You too Tall!

Our club has an annual NY Day "Recovery" run, with potluck breakfast and lots of bloody marys and champagne.  I did 5 easy miles, drank two beers and got out of there.  Party was still going strong when I left. What a great group they are.

Re the earlier discussion of student driver tests, here in TX you can get your permit at age 15, which was when Riblet got his, then your license at 16, and I felt the training requirements were quite good, in terms of classroom and numbers of hours with the instructor.  But I'm also convinced I live in a state with the country's worst drivers. What is with these people?  Anybody have any data on the country's worst drivers?

Prime Rib and his gf are coming over for dinner.  Guess what we're having?  Prime Rib.  SpareTire is skiing in Durango, so we will miss him.

Twocat, I'm making a fresh horseradish sauce, pureed horseradish, some white vinegar and cream.  Test is when you stick your face in the mixing bowl and crash to the floor howling and crying.  Spareribs

Happy New Year to a first class bunch of peeps.  I am honored to be a part of this wonderful group of Masters who prove time and time again that age is only a number.

Loved, as always, TW's post.

I road zee stationary bike for 35 min yesterday, followed by about 30 min core/strength training.  This was after about an hour total of crutching around Costco and Winco (grocery store), so I figure I got a good UB workout between all of it.  Today I'm doing nothing except trying out my foot sans crutches.  I won't push it, but I need to be able to tell the doc on Thursday how things are going depending on what I do.

I also think I have a fairly decent infection going on in my right thumb.  It hurts like a *&^%, is very sensitive to temperature and touch, and is swollen and a little reddish.  It's been going on for a couple of days now, and I've been trying to figure out what the heck I did.  This morning it finally hit me that one of the cats may have snagged me when we were playing, so I will try to get in to see my GP tomorrow and get some antibiotics before it rots off my hand. Wink  Thankfully, it's not my left hand as I can't use the thumb for any kind of leverage.  Couldn't even use it to crack an egg open this morning.  Roll eyes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't think I have any other physical issues to report . . . for now.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Great post from TW to start the year with the right attitude.  Thanks.

Wonderful to hear that Tall's doing well.

And lots of solid running from all quarters.  Nice job.

About 9.4 miles today, with a 5K race in the middle.  I signed up to impress upon myself how much work I need to do this year.  Mission accomplished. Roll eyes

Best wishes to all of you for a great 2013!

Be safe. Be kind.

5 miles for me this morning...tried to push the pace a little at the end...still wickedly slow...

Happy New Year !!!

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Happy New Year to all of you and best wishes for  2013.

Mike, It's neat you got a run in with your daughter.  tall, it's good to hear from you.  tomw, I like the conclusion of your post.  Dave, good job in your 5K. Tramps, nice 5K.

Nice long runs for ribs, Mike Slo, Drake, evan, and Holly.

This morning, it was about 20°, there was a light wind, and some ice/packed snow but not enough for yaxs.  I don't know what to think of my run.  I planned on a routine 8 miles and took off at what felt like my slow, normal, pace.  I trudged along for about 5 miles feeling like I usually do, that it was a bit hard but not terrible.  During the 6th mile, it began to get real hard.  I wondered if the bug I had last week plus the lack of eating much during that time had taken a toll.  I decided that I'd take a walk break (real rare for me) at 6 miles. When I started to walk, I checked my GPS for the first time and found my pace was 10:21.  Since I'm normally happy with anything under an 11 min pace, this was quite a shock and explained why things had been hard.  After a brief walk, I started running again thinking I had intentionally slowed way down.  As I approached 7 miles, I was feeling real winded and my legs beat so I decided I'd call it quits at 7.  When I did, my GPS indicated that I had reduced my overall pace to 10:15.  In one respect, I like this as I ran faster than usual and could consider the run as some sort of speedwork.  On the other hand, I am bothered by my body having me run faster than I want to or think I am.  I was especially concerned that, after I decided to really slow down and thought I was, my body sped up and I didn't realize it.  Oh well, another 7 miles in the logbook and we'll see what happens next time.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Bushrat Runner

Happy new year all!

We are planning our resolution run, and it looks like it will take true resolution to run on this fine day...

The temperature is warm, 39F. And it is raining. This has been going on for a while, so the snow is mostly gone but the ice on the roads is a complete wet sheet of slickness. Time to put in the sheet metal screws. And since it is blowing 20 gusting 30 from the east, and raining fairly hard, it is likely time to invoke the wimps refuge.

No, not the treadmill...

I think we'll drive out to the east and get dropped off to run back with a tailwind!

Though my main running partner Mo just called and can't get out of her driveway due to the ice, so I may be going this adventure alone...we'll see...

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy New Year to a first class bunch of peeps.  I am honored to be a part of this wonderful group of Masters who prove time and time again that age is only a number.

I liked Leslie's sentiment enough to steal it for myself.  (Hope your thumb feels better soon) and I am also very pround to be part of this community.

I had thoughts of doing a 4 mile race this morning that started at 10am.  since I rolled out of bed at about 9:15, I settled fro 4 miles around the lake to greet the new year.  I have discovered that the Pure Flows are not much in the way of traction on snow, so stayed in the road when the sidewalks weren't clear.  Faster than I expected for the amount of slipping and sliding that I did.

happy running to all and a happy and prosperous coming year.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

after I decided to really slow down and thought I was, my body sped up and I didn't realize it. 

This almost never happens to me......but I wish it would....Undecided

Tet - I was born in 1965, but I don't think that description really describes me.  For one thing, I talk WAY too much....Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Happy New Year.

5 miles easy on the treadmill this afternoon.

Paul

tomwhite I am going to third or fourth the sentiment you posted.  You all are true athletic heroes in every sense of the word.

SteveP your visits to your friend no doubt mean a world to him and his family.  It is a sad truth in life that what we do as dim witted teens can come back to haunt us ever after.

Spareribs I so love horseradish like that!  Where do you get a root with a punch like that?  My local stores all seem to have some variety that ends up like milk toast when I use it.  Is there a type to look for?

fatozzig good luck at the doc's tomorrow!  I hope whatever ails that thumb it comes back fast.

tselbs well there is a running problem I have never seen before!  Running faster than you like and tiring out.  Nope, in races everybody starts nice and slow so that they can finish strong.  Yep, yes siree, never seen people go out faster than they intended.  Joking  Plan B might be to pay more attention to that little GPS thing on your wrist.  Wink

Various events got in the way of me doing my TM run this morning so I did it in the afternoon.  Normally that would count as two strikes seeing as I have TM runs and I really prefer running first thing in the morning.  However, I am currently so happy to just be able to run that all was forgiven.  Unfortunately, it does appear whatever skill is involved with adding one number to another is quickly departing me.  My goal was a 1/2 mile walk, 3 mile run and then a 1/2 mile walk.  I got to mile three on the TM and slowed to a walk.  Then looked at it for a bit and wondered how I was going to get to 4 miles from 3 with only a 1/2 mile walk.  Then it dawned on me 1/2+3 = 3 1/2 not 3!  What a genius!  Roll eyes So I sped the TM back up for a half mile.  I think I am going to now find a cup to drool into.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Happy New Year everyone!

Looks like a lot of great runs to start off the new year!

I went for a 5 mile run outside today. it was cold, but nice and sunny. I warmed up quickly.

DH and I might go bowling a bit later. We both have new bowling balls that require some practice.

Tammy