Masters Running

TIMTAM 50k (Read 198 times)

TomD

TIMTAM, This Is More Than A Marathon, this year hadvery cold wind (about 25 to 35 mph). Much of the course was sheltered my trees, but about a quarter of it you had to deal with the wind. It was 38 degrees at the start and 53 degrees at the finish.This is my 6th running of the TIMTAM. Donna runs one of the three aid stations here again this year. So I will see her at least 6 times during the 50k as I will be running 6 laps. It is one of my favorites. I used to compete for first place (second in 20040), but now I just do my best. At times it is difficult to deal with not being fast and injuries, something else I did not have much of either. Their were 80 runners overall signed up 50k, marathon, 11-miler. The 11-miler had only 5 runners this year. Some runners did not start, because of the coldest of the wind and possible rain, which did not happen. One woman signed up for the marathon just before the starting time and then did not run. No one knew what happened to her. My goal was 6:00, but then seeing the wind I altered it to 6:15 to 6:30 finish. I started out running with different runners, that I knew. Wanting to stay around 55 minute laps (5:25 mile a lap) for the first 3 laps, then under 1:15 the final 3 laps. But if my leg starts to bother me, I am not going to worry about none of it. I will just finish. After the first lap I feel okay, but I went to fast at 49 minutes. I slow down a bit for the second lap. I run for a while with a woman that I helped finish the 2006 Olathe Marathon. She was unable to catch me at the finish. I was off to run Hogeye the next day. So she thanked me and told me she had a PR by 30 minutes thanks to me. She is running the marathon to day with hope of during the 50k. I told just slow down a little and you will be able to run the 50k. This course is a very flat. She is from the St. Louis area and will look for me at the Lewis and Clark Marathon in September. The second lap was 57 minutes, which I was happy with. I am still feeling pretty good. My third lap I run with the Fortunate One and his friend John for awhile. I finish with it with 56 minutes. I was surprised, that it was faster than the second one. In the fourth lap at around Mile 19 my leg all of a sudden really hurts. It did not bother me at all at Lincoln, but it sure is here at TIMTAM. I stop a little while and then start to walk some. It hurts less. I try to run but it is difficult to even run. I try more walking before trying to run again and this works for awhile. Around Mile 20 at Donna's aid station I get encouragement, a hug, a power bar, and fruit. I while the fourth lap in 1:14. Not to bad, but I feel lousy now. Starting the 5th lap I feel terrible. My knees are not bothering me as they did at Lincoln, but my leg is hurting. A friend of mine, who is also running the 50k encourages me to take care of that leg. I somehow struggle through back to Donna's aid station, which is only about a mile from the end of each lap. I was able to get another bar and hug. As I leave her station I am running into a very strong wind at times it almost blows you over. After getting into the trees again. I start running a little more. I finish this lap with a 1:25. The sixth lap I decide to not push myself at all and just finish. I do not need to hurt myself to the point that I need to cancel more marathons. I run and walk. The more I walk the less my leg hurts. I can see that I am going to be well over 6:30. I pass friends running the other direction that encourage me, they know about my leg. I finally reach Donna's aid station for the last time. I take in fruit and some fluids. I feel much better with only a mile to go. Once out of the strong wind I run the best I can to the finish. I actually pass another runner with less than half a mile to go. I finish this lap at 1:27 for a total time of 6:48:12. There are still 7 runners out there. Afterwards Donna and I go out to eat at a local pizza place, which we go to most years after TIMTAM. Doug the RD tells us he had a lot of runners thanking him for the fruit at the aid station, then he realized Donna had bougth a bunch of fruit for her aid station. He thanked her and we ended up talking for about 3 hours. Luckily, we only had a 4 hour drive home. We had a great time at another small marathon. Next is the Delaware Marathon, May 18th. It is about a 20 hour drive for us, so we will leave early on Friday. We should still have some time to see some sights on Saturday. Donna has never been to Delaware. TomD
      Way to go, Tom! Your story is one of perseverance (did I spell that right?). What I mean to say is that you dug down deep to finish this one when many others would have cried "Uncle". Make sure you give Donna another big hug after the race, as she did a fantastic job of volunteering at the TIMTAM. Nice RR, a joy to read! John
        Nice job, Tom!! Thanks for sharing. I can't even imagine running that far - you are tough! Good luck with the Delaware marathon!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

btb1490

This, and now your running a marathon next weekend? Unbelievable! Good luck Tom! Congrats on the 50k finish!
            Once again, Tom, you showed a lot of grit. It was great to get to run with you for a bit. 50K is a long long way. If something hurts at 19 miles in a marathon, it's almost to be expected and you figure you've only got a little more than a 10K to go. In a 50K, you're just a little over half way. I am sure Donna and your friends on the course helped sustain you. Now heal up and get ready for the next one. I ran Lewis and Clark last fall but don't plan to this fall. So the money they give to super-masters (over 55) is up for grabs! I may do Des Moines this fall, where you were a pacer the last couple of years. One place or another, I hope to see you again before long.

Top 'O the World!

Smile Wow!......Just, "Wow!"
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Wow, that is perserverance!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Another fantastic race, Tom. You never cease to amaze me with the number of marathons and ultras you run and being tough enough to run through a lot of pain. I hope you heal quickly and have a good marathon next week. Congratulations and "hi" to Donna. TomS
                  SteveP

Good Grief Tom, you're a hardcore athlete. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

May 18? Another marathon? Wow! You are TOUGH!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrpat

Tom, You showed a lot of determination and endurance to finish as well as you did. I hope you are able to get through the injuries and once again get back to your old self. One of the Back on my Feet http://backonmyfeet.org/main/index.html guys will be running the Delaware marathon as his first. They will have a contingent there to cheer him on.