Masters Running

Thundering Tuesday, April 6 Runs and whatnots ..... (Read 509 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!    I haven't read all of yesterday's thread yet, so I'm just popping in to get us started.

I had a pretty restless night with heavy storms rolling through all night and I kept worrying about Hailey alone with her puppies, but she never barked or acted like she was scared.   So, this morning when DH asked if I was going running, I mumbled "I dunno".    He said and I quote "you better get up and get your fat ass out there".    Well - the great motivator! 

4 miles - 10:23 pace - 167 avg.  HR   Big grin

Holly - your floors look so nice!!   I'd love to get tile in my kitchen and bathrooms someday.  DH says he is going to but heat coils under the tiles when he does get around to it.

Perch - I hope your aches are feeling better!

I am also so happy that Baby Will was able to be home for Easter. 

Dg - are you behaving??

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Good morning Mary and all to follow. Fat ass??!!!  Fat Ass??!! Everyone knows that runners have very sleek backsides.  Nice run this morning and glad that the storms didn't disturb the new family. How about that game last night Mary? Gosh, it would have been cool if Butler had been able to pull off the victory. Still, one of the most exciting championship games I've seen in a long time.

Holly, your remodeling project turned out superb! Those floors are knock-down gorgeous. I think the cabinets in your kitchen go well with the new tile. We women are never satisfied - replace one thing and then ya just gotta keep going...

Twocat - bet your DW and her friend do just fine if their other running partner can't finish this training cycle. It sounds like she's enjoying this, don't you think?

Geeze Perch, thought we had you all healed and ready to go. Sorry about the setback. Take care of yourself, OK?

7 miles this morning, 9:52 pace. Thought I'd git'er'done before the rains came but didn't make it.. Wasn't dressed right for 45° and hard rain so I had a sproinky last mile getting back to the house. Followed up with some stability ball work and free weights and 5 minutes of jumping rope. Now I'm icing my foot and hoping...

Wow - any "24" junkies out there? Great 2 hour episode last night! I'm going to be devastated when the season comes to an end.

Slo

Thunderous is right !

I set out to do a 7 miler last night but got turned around 25 mins into my run because of lightning. Thankfully I didn't have to far to run home. I just short cut my loop. Then this morning, as I was lacing up, there was a huge crack followed by a deluge.

Rain I can handle....Lightning = no running.

Mary how sweet that DH supports your running

Nice run this morning Jlynne & yes I'm a 24 junkie  I think it will be interesting to see how Dana managed to get her false idenity, must have been help someone high up in some powerful govt. agency.

No runday for me

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I watched only the 1st half of the game last night, not wanting to wreck the work week with too little sleep.  But even in only a Half I could tell that Butler and Duke were both playing well, tough hard nosed defenses, well coached, strong rebounding, and great play making.  It was obvious neither one wanted to lose (nor deserved to) and were going to do whatever it took on this night.  The way Basketball should be and usually is not anymore.

Very nice job on the remodeling Holly.  I Like!

4 easy miles at 9:27 pace.  No apparent phantom taper pains have shown themselves yet, but I know they will soon enough.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  No thunder in Boston.  Just another IRC morning--54º, sunrise and calm.  3.3 miles in what might end up being at my present tempo pace.  No download yet to confirm, but didn't see many 10's and there was an 8 near the end.    And as an added bonus, the HR seemed to be mostly in the 130's.  things are improving slowly.

Got passed by the world's happiest runner as I was finishing this morning.  i heard him coming up behind me greeting each and every person he passed.  As he came by me at a good clip, he said"Isn't it a glorious morning to run?"  I felt the same way, just not quite as vocal as he was.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – Hailey was trying to be brave in front of her kids.......as for your DH (shaking my head)...sounds like something my DH would say.....

Jlynne – keep those Baby Will avatars coming, they are adorable!

Just a quick clarification, in case there was any confusion – we did not actually do those floors ourselves, but paid some talented guy to do them for us.  Actually, we'll be paying for a while on it.....

5 very slow and gentle miles for me today (ave pace 11:09) on legs that were still tired from the weekend, despite yesterday’s rest.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Beautiful house, Holly. Want a job as an interior designer?

Mary, first a stranger in a car and now your DH making references? And I don't think it's in dg's nature to behave.

What "old folks" are you referring to, mariposai?

Perch, shouldn't that have been  "dimples of Mars" for us guys? In any case, I hope it clears up ASAP.

Only Aamos can just throw off a casual 20 like that!

Erika, that's why I count my running week as Sunday-Saturday.

wildchild, maybe it was a sign for you to take up barefoot running.

Sarge, we gave up on 24 at last. We mainly watched it the last couple of years because Dave Barry makes fun of it so well in his blog.

Yesterday was another perfect weather day here. No running, but I swam 1000 yards in the pool for the first time in the morning, then in the afternoon went out for a 25-mile bike ride. Then I canceled the calorie-burning efforts of the day with the first stop of the year at a DQ (Heathbar Blizzard, if you must know).

Today it rained heavily early, but stopped in time for me to complete my tri-workout sequence with a 5-miler on the rail-trail. I was a little whipped, though, and couldn't face the last hill back up to my street, so walked about a quarter mile of it.

We're off on a short vacation trip tomorrow to Chicago and then Springfield, IL. I'm not going to take any running gear along this time, so won't be back at it until next Monday. See you all then!

Oh, yeah - here are a couple of pictures of the new bike as I was getting set for my ride the other day (except for the shoes):

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Hey Byll, did you check today?    What a difference a day makes.  I think, this far out, forecasting mostly involves a dart board.

We had some of  that thunder and lightning here last evening; huge downpours followed a half hour later by sunshine.  Could hit 90F today.  Yuck.

Decided my fat ass would get an unscheduled rest day today mostly because of a weird twinge in my left calf that started in my sleep on Saturday night.  It's not constant but, instead, seems to get triggered by moving in certain ways.  I'm being cautious because two things bug me about it: 1) it's a sharp pain, more like a nerve than a dull ache, and 2) it's gotten worse each day even though it doesn't bother me while running at all. Usually, not bothering me while running would be a green light to keep running but I decided to be cautious and will ice today to see what happens.  It's probably nothing but now's not the time to take unnecessary risks.

Be safe. Be kind.

rochrunner gave up on 24!    My DW will not even let me answer the phone while it is on!

Sarge word on the street is that this year the ending is a lot more conclusive than in year's past.  So, my guess is all the bad guys get ratted out by season's end.  But they claim to be planning 24 the movie so that means Jack will survive the day.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - nice bike!

{{{Tramps' calf}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Kimmie

Smart move Tramps.  And yes, it was hot out there this morning.  Felt like summer and saw that the temperature had reached 80 degrees when we were done.  Met a friend to run, was supposed to be easy 4-  felt a little harder than that with some hills thrown in and trying to deal with the heat.

Have a good one you all!

Slo

Very Nice Bike Roch !  I see it's a Cannondale.....what model ?

I need to start working on my butt callus.....I don't have much saddle time in yet.  You've been doing quite well.

dg.

good morning!      Though it will probably be afternoon by the time I get this written.  Smile

Mary, thanks for starting us, & nice run!    Oh my.   So many potential replies to that encouragement.....  

Thanks, & of course I am!    

Thunder & lightening here too..        I had to leave for a little while, came home, & couldn't find Sadie.   But I heard her breathing....   she was asleep in the bathtub.     poor thing!   (she does not like the bathtub, & right now, I wouldn't expect her to be able to get in there very easily!) I read a long time ago that there is something about porcelain, and//or perhaps plumbing, during an electrical storm that dogs like.   Maybe I'll just ask her!

Speaking of Sadie... Sue, you'd asked about her, thanks.   All things considered, she's doing pretty well!  She seems for the most part happy, appetite is good, always glad to get outside & do whatever I'll let her do.    

Jeanne that picture is priceless.   How is he, does he have his appetite back?   

Anybody else have trouble reading this font?  (I blame my monovision contact lenses).   I was thinking how cold you would  have been when you got home, & then thought you said you were icing & hopping.  Was very impressed.  Wink.    Re your foot, I looked in the book that I mentioned  & it didn't cover your trouble spot... if I remembered the right place.  Is it the inside of your heel by the arch?

Slo, good call!   good thing you were looping.  

Kevin, very nice!    And that's funny....   kind of a Disney run.

Holly I'm glad you were gentle with those legs today.   They earned it!

re me,.. thanks.   I'm trying! 

Doug..  ha.    You're right... but look who's talking!     Yesterday was gorgeous, wasn't it?!   Very fitting for a DQ spot.   Have fun on your trip.    Nice bike, great pictures! 

I habba code.   I felt awful yesterday then it hit this morning.  No biggie at all.  Maybe just enough to help me behave.   Thanks Leslie... you're right.  So hard to know what is ok to do!     Thinking about trying just a little running tomorrow.  I ran in place a few times yesterday.  :-).  Very silly.  Today I just did about 45 min. of core work, and then laundry & things.  I'm still behind.   ...   well, not that I wasn't before. 

hugs to Perch & Tramps! 

wild, congrats to your daughter on her acceptance at Cornell.  franc, that's quite the mileage you put in at Green Lake.  holly, those are great looking floors.  perch, I hope your injury is not serious.  Tramps, good luck with the calf.  roch, neat looking bike.

Nice long runs for WRFB, evan, sue, Aamos, dive, and MrsTwocat.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s with just a light wind.  We had rain, thunder, and lightning overnight and it's raining now but it wasn't raining while I was out.  I got in 8 miles in enough under 1:19 for a 9:51 pace.

Our daughter just had a bit of a set back.  After graduating from college and working for a couple of years, she decided two years ago she wanted to be a dietician and went back to school.  She'll get her degree in about a month.  The problem is that it's desireable to do an internship, under the supervision of a university, before looking for a job.  Unfortunately, there are fewer internships than people who want them.  Sandy found out yesterday that she didn't get one.  We're obviously concerned about how things will work out for her.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS