Masters Running

SAt Oct 25th Daily (Read 418 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Out for a 3.5m recovery run with MrsRoy. I'm starting to build her mileage up slowly to avoid her old hip injury, so 3m runs 2 weeks ago, last week 3.25 and now 3.5 she also swam 20 lengths in 30 mins on Thurs which will help her running. We stop for a drink beside a little wooded area were there is a rare breed of black sheep that graze there, it is such a peaceful area in the middle of the Downs. Anyway: 3.5m 39:51@11:23 pace AHR 135 60% Good Runs All Roy
      Smart recovery plan for Mrs. Roy. Nice photo, too! 5.07 miles at 10:04 pace. I've been a bit lazy the last couple of weeks (running-wise), which I think is just fine. We've been out of town the last 3 weekends, and today I'm spending the day at a career day for middle school girls interested in science and technology. It's a worthwhile cause, but I'd really rather just stay home and putter. I like the photo of Woody yesterday. And I found the before/after photos incredibly inspiring. Makes me want to back away from the Halloween candy.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Not many up and about yet... 8.03 easy mile for me today - 1:05:34 (8:09) - Avg HR 126 Max HR 144 - a typical fall day in New England this morning - partly cloudy 46 degrees, nice running weather! Wink
          Morning! Fun being here on the east coast! Lots of walking yesterday and today is all for me. Oh, and went to Burma Restaurant last night (inexpensive and listed in Zagat's!!) Indian today, only without the bacon fat appetizer. Hi Woody! I miss Frank. Oh, and DH too! grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles
            Tim - your photos and all the others are really inspiring. I want to congratulate all who have made a decision to be more healthy -- whether it is to lose weight, to watch cholesterol, sodium or fiber, or to exercise more -- these are all lifestyle decisions and so worthy of our notice and praise. Today's run was a little wet, but there were no drops falling during the run. 59°F and 98% humidity. Was that why I felt so sluggish during the whole run? Maybe it was just one of those days. 5.1 miles, 42:40, 8:25/mi, AHR 151

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Roy – they are so cute! 15 mile run for me today, with miles 3, 5, 7, and 9 at 8:28, 8:35, 8:23, and 8:27, and the rest of the miles about 10:20-ish, with a couple of short walk breaks. Still waiting for this to get easier… DS has a soccer tournament this weekend in Cincinnati, with today’s games at 10:30 and 4:45. DH is taking him to the first one, so I can scrub the bathrooms and sweep/mop the kitchen floor, and I’ll take the afternoon game. This is the last weekend for outdoor soccer, though, and then we get a little ease-up on busy-ness. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice photo Roy Maine nice "easy" run Cool I noticed we have same age & occupation, so why are you so much faster? Smile Amy when I was in Hartford area last month the sun rising 20 minutes earlier was very helpful on the early morning runs. Went to gym for treadmill run this morning. It was raining & DW wanted me to go with her. Did a short long run Confused 8.5 miles ( I count anything 8 or more as a long run). I wanted to do 11 but gym started getting busy. Off to college football game this afternoon then working a concert tonight. Great weekend everyone...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

munchkn883

I'll be painting most of the day so that will have to be my exercise for today! Hugs to all!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hiya everyone...small crowd today. Just got my run in...lazy this morning so a late start. 12 miles 1:35:45 - 7:58 ave pace. After a couple of miles warm up, I pretty much ran 10 MP miles from 7:50 to 7:55 pace. Geez, hands are sooo froze I can hardly type this. Will be back later to check up on everyone!!! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Quick post of my run today. 26.2 miles with brutal hills, huge PR & a BQ. :-)

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I did the Yarmouth 5k Pumpkin Run this morning. Awesome! My secret goal was to break 30 minutes, but I really didn't think it was possible. DH suggested that I start out at my normal pace, and pick it up in the second half if I felt strong. I decided to ignore that advice, because at my regular pace, I would never make up the time to hit 30, lol. So I started out fast and just chugged along as well as I could. DD10 took off and I never saw her once - fortunately, she found a school friend to run with. They'll be on the high school XC and track teams in 4 years! I was impressed that my friend kept up with me as long as she did, since her groin muscle is still hurting. I felt great! My foot and calf muscles never bothered me at all. The mile markers came at 0.95 and 1.95 on my Garmin, which was misleading since my final distance read 3.16! Weird. That threw me a little. The last part of the race was downhill onto a high school track, where we ran 3/4 lap to finish. DD10 was cheering me on during the home stretch - I yelled, "What was your time?" and she said, "26:28, my best time!" That prompted me to finish strong, and my time was 29:49! I was so happy! I think the best part is that I did my best and have the feeling that I CAN get faster if I keep this up. Only a little more than 8 minutes and I'll catch up with Tanya! Wink My daughter's friend's mom, who is not much younger than I am, finished in 21:45! It was a PR for her, too, and she's been a runner for a long time. A fun morning. DS16 had his regional meet on his home course just after that. It's funny, he never does as well at home as at away races! He ran the hilly 5k course in 17:56 for a 5th place finish. So he's grumpy, lol. But the coach worked the kids HARD this week, trying to get them ready for the state tournament next week. Their team won the meet easily today, so they should win at states unless something weird happens. I guess I should go cook DS a big meal right now to cheer him up. Thanks for reading my long post - it's been a running day for our family! DH is going out himself right now - I'm glad, because he's not too consistent, and he always feels better after he runs. Enjoy the weekend! Texas plays Oklahoma State in 30 minutes, so I need to go turn on the TV pretty soon. Smile Smile Smile
                        wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo! Congrats to Peter and Teresa on PR races today! Not to mention, a BQ for Peter, and a sub-30 minute 5K for Teresa. You guys ran well today! Not me, though. Sad I wanted to do a longish run today, but the wind is howling - 50 mph gusts. No thanks. But DD wants to go to the rec center to re-start the C25K (for about the 4th time - school and sickness keep stopping her mid-way.) So I'll run on the indoor track, but not a long run - I'd feel like a hamster on a wheel. Maybe an hour's worth. I'll do a long run tomorrow, if this blasted wind dies down.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yay, me too maine goddess. I don't mind the thirty-pluses when I'm not tryin' but I always try in the fall runs and happy to get a 28:16 in our annual pumpkin push today too. Had a scenic nine mile 4:1 jura-run warm-up run over to the start along the Lake Washington parts of the Seattle Marathon course we'll be doin' next month. With her entering the NYC Marathon this year (hopin' for a 2:50 so I hear on our barefoot board), I entered as Zola Budd this time (usually I'm Abebe Bikila). We're trying to get to her shed her shoes and avoid her shod DNF in London a couple of years ago. Seems she's moved to NC or somewhere. Maybe Peter saw her in a warm up today (or aamos - MCM?). they didn't win any prizes but the best costume pair we saw was "don't stare at my pumpkins" on two gals' orange t's. Fortunately, I took my camera this time. Unfortunately, it says "unrecognized file format."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

It seems like the taper boy had a great time in his pumpkin push race today. Got any pumpkins to share? 10 miles around the orchard this morning in IRC. All the apples are picked and to the warehouses, I was told. I got passed by six families of transient migrants who are heading back south. I stopped to say thanks to two of them. I always appreciate having this workers come up to help our fruit growers to pick their fruits. Without them you and I will pay a much higher price for out apples in the markets. WOHOOOOOOo to Peter and Teresa on their PR races. Peter a BQ too........congrats!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

26.2 miles with brutal hills, huge PR & a BQ. :-)
                                Woo hoo!! Teresa - a big Woo Hoo on your PR race as well, and Tet - here's a Woo Hoo for you, too! Great racing, all of you!! Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."