Masters Running

Sat Sep 19 Runs and Workouts (Read 383 times)

Early run this morning as we have some errands to run.   MPish, but faster than I actually plan to run either of my October races.

8.2 miles, 1:05:31, 8:01/mi, AHR 155 (79% MHR)

Good luck, Erika!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Lou & everyone!

Beautiful morning out there today 45F with a really bright sun coming up in my face

5 figure 8 loops around the neighborhood for 6.2 miles @ 9:40 pace. DW still injuried & not running for another week it will be too late to do the marathon which is 4 weeks tomorrow.   20 miler tomorrow

Have a great day racers.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

dg.

good morning!

nice zippy MPish Lou.

Sarge good luck tomorrow!  how is your DW?

early for me too but just a core workout.   then farmer's market,  bought too much again.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!    

9/19 evanflein - Equinox Ultra Marathon 50K !

9/19 runningsmarter - AF Marathon  Dayton, OH

9/19 Holly S - Air Force HM, Dayton OH

9/19 SLOjim - Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon, Camp Pendleton, CA

9/19 TomD -  Bohemian Alps Run 50k, Brainard NE

(thanks Ilene)

I've been at the academy for 2 weeks and I have 2 more to go...found a running partner there.

Just trying to catch up on what's been going on here...

Good Luck to the racers!!!

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good luck/thanks early-morning holly and d-g, ilene's intrepid is a valuable asset for us all..

Happy early fall / late summer weather to today's Intrepids wherever running.their two 50K's, mary and halfs,

especially san luis jim back after long recovery hiatus.

ps - weather can be most marginal up in erika-land where the Equinox was snowed out

the year before I was lucky enough to be at the starting line at the bottom of the campus ski hill. 

Go to fullsize image<cite> EquinoxMarathonStart JP</cite> <address id="add" style="padding-bottom: 5px;"></address> Go to fullsize image

No comment/response Fairbanks cam for today's weather is separately postedfor her 8:00 a, m  - 1:00/2:00 pm (9-2PDT / 12-5 EDT) Equinoxing..   I think it refreshes every viewing.

Though the last days' light rain'll probably make for most beautiful birch forests, the falling of the golden-yellow leaves will make for risky underfooting on the already slippy, muddy single-file trails, rutted dirt road along the top of Ester Dome and descents, especially the treacherous run down the infamous "Chute" at mile 17 or so ERIKA BE CAREFUL, especially after the 26.2 miles you're already so used to.

Go to fullsize image . Go to fullsize image, Go to fullsize image . .Go to fullsize image .  , Go to fullsize image .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning and good luck racers!!!

Out for 4 miles this morning and I concentrated on form and picking up my feet.   10:20 / 10:05 / 10:08 / 9:49  Big grin

DH signed up for the King Salmon fishing derby today, so now I'm heading out to see the weigh in and hope he wins something!   I told him I've been pre-shopping at the jewelry store.  hehehe    He called once and said they are slamming them.    Keep your fingers crossed!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good Luck Racers!!

Fleet feet!

Sorry about DW Sarge.. injuries suck.. especially 4 weeks out.

2 miles warmup with the dogs at 10:39 pace then 8 miles at 8:24 pace (AHR 152). About mile 3 I overstrided and my knee went OUCH but then I found my form and everything felt really good. Gotta be careful not to overstride at all during tomorrow's 20.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

oh, it's just about to start!!!!

go Erika!!!  

and this time... listen to Tet.  be careful.

quick question... more to say but in a time crunch.   when you-all run marathons, how often to you hit the water/whatever stops?  how often do you have ghastly gu?  (gag).      trying to plan this a little more carefully.   better late than never. 

teresa, nice fast run on Thurs.  hopeful, I hope you shake that infection quickly.  This mornings nice run sounds like a good sign.  deez, nice speedy progression run.  Twocat, sorry to hear about your setback after some progress.  I've got my fingers crossed for you.  tet, thanks for the pictures of such beautiful scenery.

dg, I'm not sure I'm qualified to respond to your question as I've only done one slow marathon but here's what I did.  It was a hot, humid, day and there was a water stop about every mile with Gatorade every 3.  I walked a few steps at each and got water each mile and water and Gatorade every 3rd mile.  Towards the end, as I got more tired and the temperature got higher, I had two waters at some of the stations.  If I remember correctly, I had 5 gu packets and took 2 in the first half and 3 in the second half.   I don't know  If there was a better stategy.  Since I finished and my wife didn't have to plan a funeral, there is some merit to what I did.

Nice long runs for sue and perch (be careful of that knee).  Good job on the speedwork for breger.

This morning, it was about 40° when I went out and low 50s when I ended and there was  a light wind.  I got in 8 miles in a little over 1:16:30 for a 9:35 pace. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

quick question... more to say but in a time crunch.   when you-all run marathons, how often to you hit the water/whatever stops?  how often do you have ghastly gu?  (gag).      trying to plan this a little more carefully.   better late than never. 

When I run I take almost all the water, sometimes twice in one stop if it's warm.  I might skip the first stop if I brought a small bottle of water to the start with me.

As for gu, I use crank which is 150 cal (gu is 100), but I try to take every 6, but sometimes can't stomach the 4th (and it'd be almost too late at mile 24 anyway).  I also take e-caps to avoid cramping, at about the same cycle, but maybe offset by a mile.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

spacityrunner

Did 20 min. in the pool yesterday.

did a short run today, about 2.8 in 35ish.  Mr. Garmie acted up, am looking for feedback...

Flashed me a low battery message, then died about .5 mile into my run.  It was fully charged after the last run, it told me so.  don't know what happened...

I downloaded the latest software and it is in the cradle now charging (has been for about an hour).  Don't know if it will charge, or if it does if it will keep a charge.  Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Go racers!!!

Good runs and good day everyone!

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg - when I run a marathon, I take liquid at almost every stop, usually only a mouthful or two, unless it's hot and I try to drink slightly more.  I don't usually stop at the first or last hydration station: the first is often too crowded (people need to get into the groove of the hydration station traffic) and the last one is usually close enough to the finish that I figure I can make it without it.

This year I have switched to Powergels instead of GU.  They both are pretty gnarly, but the Powergels are runnier, and slide down my throat easier, while GU is too thick, and can gum up my mouth and make me gag.

13.1 for me today, with an unmeasured distance WU, probably about 1/2 mile.  Results aren't up yet, but it was a good effort, if not quite a PR.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

13.1 for me today, with an unmeasured distance WU, probably about 1/2 mile.  Results aren't up yet, but it was a good effort, if not quite a PR.

With all that marathon training you've been doing, this was probably a walk in the park for you. WTG Holly! We're anxious to get the official results.

Tet - great pictures again this morning. One of these days I'll learn how to do that.

I'm almost embarrassed to post this with all of the RA people running ultras, full and half marathons today, but I ran a local 5K this morning. PR for me - 26:07 and 2nd in my AG. This is one of my favorite local runs, and the conditions were perfect this morning. I was pleased with my time after spending several days on the DL the last few weeks.

Hope your DH pulls in the big one today, Mary. Ummm - fresh salmon on the grill. Nothing better.

TwoCat - I feel so bad and hope this is just a real temporary setback for you. You're always so positive about everything - we're sending positive vibes back at 'ya.

DH is grilling t-bones tonight to celebrate our good race today (he walked - a huge accomplishment to get him to do these races).  There might be a glass of wine as well!

Good luck to all of our racers today. Have a good Saturday everyone.

Good Afternoon all!

Thinking about the racers------more details Holly! Glad you had a good run

Hi Lyndenrunner! Great that you found a running partner

Sorry to hear about your DW Sarge---you are running strong yourself.

dg---I carry a small bottle with me in a marathon (10oz) and usually drink from it every 2 miles. Once I run out of the handheld water, I'll keep drinking every two miles but from the water stops on course. I eat 2 clifshot blocks every 5 miles in a marathon up until mile 20 and then eat 3 at 22 (last feeding)

8.5 miles on the day for me including a 5 mile race in Greenfield, MA in 34:31 (6:55 pace) wu/cd brought it to 8.5 miles. Spectacular day here in the Commonwealth----35º when I woke up, 54º at the race start at 9:30 am, windy but not a cloud in the sky and some red and orange leaves here and there. Happy with the race as I work on sharpening before the 10/4 marathon. First mile in 6:50 and held it pretty even. 4th woman and 2nd in the 40-49 age group (won a beer stein and a dark chocolate/toffee bar)

Off to divide day lilies and finish up the last of the garden clearing/cleaning---frost warning tonight with a projected low of 28º

Go Erika Go!

MTA: Way to go JLynne!!! No embarrassment either, that's awesome and you shouldn't hesitate to share

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, the last 3 posts all described some nice racing for Holly, Jeanne, and Karin!  Way to go, all of you!  Holly, did you see Amie?

I just have a day of cleaning on tap, and resting for my race tomorrow. It's a beautiful day and I'll take the dogs for a walk a little later.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.