Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 6.25.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4.1 not bounce-back miles)
    Tomwhite (40 min pool run with letters and SpeedoBoy)
    Tramps (knee-hip exercises + core work + 20 min at 2:2 walk/run)
    Twocat (6.2 morning miles with Mariposai & DH)
    Mike (10 miles + lawn mowing)
    Spacityrunner (3.25 late & speedy neighborhood miles)
    Catwhoorg (8.25 E-Z TM miles)
    Tammy (8 early morning miles)
    Holly (5.6 miles)
    Evanflein (6.3 post-yard work miles)

Right, RunnerKSA: Some days are like that. How’d the iced tea work for you?

Interesting/scary discussion about bunions/hammer toes. I had one bunion removed in ’04 because it was too painful. The other one is OK…so far.

How’d you and TriBee make out at the bike shop, Tramps?

I want to travel with Marj & Henrun, and to go visit Mariposai! Sound like Twocat is having a great time, and is even being spared gardening duty.

Evanflein & Tet, TOKYO TURNIPS are white, have nice firm texture, taste great raw, and are terrific in salads. Yeah, Evanflein - I’d definitely do my workout before my yard work.

Happy anniversaries to Evanflein and Mike!

Spacityrunner, would 10am qualify as getting out early? Not in my world…

Tammy, that is a scary start to the adventure that David is on. I hope the school bus has AC. Regardless, I’m sure they’ll still have a great trip.

Starr, sounds like a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. I hope Mr. Starr does OK, that you get that talk with your sister's boy, and that you get an invite for a fish dinner.

Speaking of yard work, I did get some done yesterday afternoon, but I still have a lot to do. We also took advantage of a15%-off USA wines sale at the NH State Liquor stores, and picked up some Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc, Chateau St. Jean Pinot Noir, and True Myth Chardonnay. We’re happy now… We had the last of our fresh-off-the-boat scallops (from an April purchase) for dinner last night. They were spectacular, but we are sorry to see them gone.

I slept in a bit this morning, and so didn't get out on the roads till 4:30. 7.15 RW miles in 64° temps with clear, dry air - IWC. I had a good workout, except that no matter what I tried, I couldn't get any speed going this morning. I'm chalking it up to fatigue from yesterday and my still-sore right hip. If that is the worst thing that happens to be today, it's going to be a dang good day.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...quick post.............Things You Don't want to See Chasing You.......

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/24/534220565/photos-meet-martha-worlds-ugliest-dog

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

"I slept in a bit this morning, and so didn't get out on the roads till 4:30."  LOL.  Only Jay.

Belated and current happy anniversaries to all you June not-so-newlyweds.

Mike--You haven't mentioned pain lately.  Are you back to normal (such as it is) since the marathon?

Trip to the bike shop was interesting.  TriBee had already suggested a particular bike, which I checked out on a trainer. Seemed like more bike than I'd need but she thinks comfort (read: carbon frame...ka-ching!) is key to sticking with cycling long-term.  I suggested one with a basket and bell but she nixed that.  We're scouring the used market now.

Some knee/hip exercises + a 20 minute 1:3 ratio walk-run .  I'm gonna try a non-stop run tomorrow.

I liked this, in part because Camus' "Myth of Sisyphus" is a favorite essay.  ""One must imagine Sisyphus happy" is a great philosophy of life. Mid-20th century French existentialist philosophy may not be what the cartoonist was going for, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

I slept in a bit this morning, and so didn't get out on the roads till 4:30. 7.15 RW miles in 64° temps with clear, dry air - IWC. I had a good workout, except that no matter what I tried, I couldn't get any speed going this morning. I'm chalking it up to fatigue from yesterday and my still-sore right hip. If that is the worst thing that happens to be today, it's going to be a dang good day.

I would chalk it up to being out at 4:30 in the morning!

Tramps--I'm still sore in all my usual places but they're not unbearable.  I'm still taking it easy but I'm hoping to get back into marathon training in a couple weeks....although, that might be a little more laid back , as well.  I'd rather be able to run slow than not be able to run at all.

Okay--gotta get to church.  See ya!

As it turned out, the iced tea revitalized ME, but one of the old doggies put the brakes on 2 houses down the street and decided he didn't want to walk just then.  Wound up getting them around the block after dinner.  We have been adopting the sweetest old rescued Golden Retrievers.  Jerry Jeff Walker will be 14 in August and we'll have had him 2 years this October.  Duchess is somewhere between 13 and 14.  They are a true gift, but needless to say, they aren't the most active dogs on earth!

8.1 miles this morning on a gorgeous, low humidity summer morning.  I am not recovered (I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the longer time it is taking me to recover from the 2 races since I'm older, but it is a little annoying) and it was a struggle, but I got it done.  I think part of the running addiction is the feeling  you have when it is finished!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

At my DD's in Indiana near the Ohio line and quite close to Cincinnati. She and my DS in law live in a development on a man made lake and do a lot of kayaking and boating. They have a pontoon boat. We went out on it yesterday and this afternoon my DGS's will be here and we'll go around the lake again. The weather is gorgeous-sunny, 70's and.ow humidity. Usually in the 90's at this time of year here.

The development has a wooded paved trail system and Marj and I ran a couple of miles on it this morning. Tomorrow we continue our road trip.

To be continued🚙🛳

spacityrunner

4.5 miles on the trails this early am (7:00) with friends.  That is the best kind of running. It was actually a cool 65f. Then bfast out at a so so eat place.  The company was great!

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

7 x 1200m VO2 max intervals.

12.7 miles total

Completely drenched by the end of it. Glad I wore my tri shorts, regular running shorts would have chaffed so badly.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

TammyinGP

Jay, no AC on a yellow school bus but they made it to San Fran around 11 pm last night. spending this morning at Fisherman Wharf and leaving for Santa Cruz beach day shortly. Mid 70's there so now they are at least out of the heat. David said the heat was pretty unbearable doing through No Cal/Redding/Red Bluff area when it was around 110-115 yesterday. poor kids. there's only so much opening bus windows can do to catch a breeze when it's that hot 

just a 2 mile run this morning with the dogs. it was already getting pretty warm by 8:30 so closed the whole house up. Just doing housework chores this morning and maybe I'll find a movie to watch this afternoon. another hot one at 105, but then we "cool off" to 92 tomorrow.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I would chalk it up to being out at 4:30 in the morning!

Yesterday our family met up with 8 other friends for some skeet shooting.  The shooting range is out in the country in a beautiful area.  We set up a couple of pavilions and camp chairs and cooked out on a portable stove.  Everyone had brought food and it was an excellent picnic.  Then we went down to the rifle range and tried some target shooting.  Between all of us there were 6 rifles, each very different than the other, and it was pretty cool to try the different guns out.  I admit though that mostly it was the men admiring each other's guns while the women sat and enjoyed the beautiful day, watching and talking.  I am not actually much of a gun person, but it was a nice excuse for a get-together of friends and family.

Here's a shot of me trying out a friend's assault rifle.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

It was lovely this morning, cool and breezy, but after 4.6 miles I called it quits, because at that point not only had blood soaked through the bandage and my sock but was soaking though my shoe.  It didn't hurt much, but if the chafing was causing that much drainage, I figured it was a hot spot that I needed to give some time off.  Just when I was getting ahead of that darn Pace Bunny.

I did about 50 minutes of weights and core to add something to the day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Been MIA lately. Life. Had a gallstone attack about a week ago and it stopped my streak (107 days). Well hubby said it had to stop because he was worried about me (I wasn't running. I was in bed at the time). Anywho, it hasn't flared up since so I can still run. Yay. Just not every day. Boo. So since the streak ended I am trying to incorporate more strength training. So my goal for the summer is to get to 10 regular pushups. As of yesterday I am at zero. Today I can do a very ugly partial pushup. PROGRESS. Oh and 6 miles today for 42 for the week.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

...nice to see BerthaSlayer checking in......

[[[tammy]]]]

========

bumping 90s here

...ever notice how it's ALWAYS SOMETHING...........

got my bike back late last night

got Pickles off to Knoxville for visit this afternoon

==================

now

I get to try out my bike>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>m00-ha-ha

however

front flashing light wouldn't work

rear reflector didn't line up

and

couldn't get my friggin' hip over the bike seat

so

hung two DEA CD's off the front handlebar, put a mirror on the rear and laid the damn thing practically FLAT and sssssslid on

it went

pretty good after that

I think people

were Scared to get anywhere near me

..........30-min in 4th gear with hills.......

....................good running to ya..................Hope the Work-Out is Harder Than The Getting Ready for It.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

2500 yards in the pool, with my new Lava Pants.

They were pretty amazing. Almost felt like cheating. (and no the pic is not me ...)

Obviously bought for use when doing tris, but I did need to check their fit before the return period expired.

That's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Bought them online from Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQMZURI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Holly S. way back when I was not a bad shot. Never did skeet shooting. It looks like a lot of fun.

StarrRuns maybe the trip will help you DH snap out of his current down state. I do hope you have a great time.

tetsujin209 I am a big herring fan. Not a big herring and ice cream fan. Yuck!

evanflein reminds me of a lesson I learned years ago during a visit to Austin. Run first, barbecue second. These life lessons are very important!

TammyinGP good to hear the crew made it safely to San Francisco.

coastwalker yes, buying wine is a great way to get yard work done! You are my kind of gardener.

RunnerKSA did you try giving the dogs iced tea? Just a thought.

BerthaSlayer gallstones! My sympathies. I hope they are gone and stay that way.

tomwhite pretty impressive how you managed to get on that bike! Really, truly. I am impressed!

Ran 8 10 miles with mariposai and her DH on a trail this morning. (What is with these people and distance? 7.3 is 9, 8 is 10. Somebody get them a new measuring tape!) The goal was to get to this place called China Wall. It is what is left of a facility that was going to process mining ore way back in the late 1800's. Then the economy tanked, ore prices collapsed and they never finished the plant. Below is a picture I took of mariposai and her DH at the wall.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Just popping in to say Ralph is going to run the marathon in Juneau Alaska in 5 weeks. I am going to run the deci marathon.

This will be his 50th State. Yeah.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."