Masters Running

Saturday, November 10 Sunny Weekend Runs (Read 378 times)

Top 'O the World!

Go OM!!!  Woo-Hoo!! 

DH & I hit a nice little 10K for the Veteran's Day festivities in Scottsbluff, NE...kewl peeps, some fun door prizes, good times on the irrigation canal road - once again, right past our old house! DH got a nice PR & 3rd AG (48:10)...I kept it pretty moderate (breakfast bubbles) & got a 2nd AG....dare I mention that there were only two in my AG? & that we stayed pretty close together the whole time? Whateva!

Just so's you don't forget Moab:

Easy little piece of trail:

.... off to do a cpl dozen massages - or so Wink

Have a Great Wknd & Happy Veteran's Day! Smile

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Marathon Maniac #957

Wildchild – good luck today!

Nice work on the weightloss, Gordon!

Mariposai – what 3-day weekend?

Dave – nice job!

Quick RR embedded in the daily:

I don’t do much with the local running club, but I am a member and a woman I know invited me to do today’s Spud Run 15K: 1) a club race and free (very cool), 2) a chance to visit with a running friend, 3) a good distance and well-timed for my last LR before the Flying Monkey next week.

I’ve never run a 15K before, so had no idea what pace to set.  I checked the McMillan calculator and put in a recent HM and it told me I should be running 8:42s for this race.  Of course I tossed that advice to the wind and aimed for something between 8:25 and 8:30.  If I crashed and burned, so be it.

This was a flat out-and-back, a bit breezy and temps nearing 60 at the 10am start of this unexpectedly warm day.  I felt pretty good at the pace I was running and continued to feel good until Mile 5, when I began having a little side-stitch, but it never got bad. I was running alongside a guy who was keeping the same pace, and after a while it felt like a metronome, we just chugged along, neither willing to let the other move ahead.  I was flagging slightly at Mile 8, but I could not let him go with such a short distance left, so I hung on.  Mile 9 he sped up and so did I (darn it, I wasn’t giving up now!).  It was killing me but I still managed a bit of a kick in the end, although he pulled ahead and beat me by several yards.

Here are my Garmin splits:

Mile 1:   8:32

Mile 2:  8:23

Mile 3:  8:31

Mile 4:  8:28

Mile 5:  8:24

Mile 6:  8:30

Mile 7:  8:28

Mile 8:  8:35

Mile 9:  8:07

Last .36:  7:35

Finishing time: 1:18:38 (8:27)

1st in AG!  (who knows, though, I may have been the only one...)   Big grin

I am very pleased with this race. I had no idea what pace to set for this distance, and this was really much faster than I thought I could run right now.  I thanked that man at the end, for without him pushing me, I would never have done this well.  This is why I need to race more.

I thought it was pretty nifty at the end, a table was set up with ribbons separated into age groups, and as you came in, they asked your age, and if there was a ribbon left, you got it...no waiting for results...Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

....Can I get an ''Amen''??

Amen!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maniac 505

Erika, I'm glad you got to see the rest of the trail. that's where I run everyday. Sorry I missed you I will be flying home late tonight. I did my last 3 miler on the American river bike trail today, back to myrtal Edwards park tomorrow that Erika has recently discovered
          evanflein

Nice race, Holly! I think you have a lot more speed in you than you give yourself credit for. Good thing you had a pacing partner today!

Is OM's race today or tomorrow? Whatever day it is, Go OM Go!

Dave, well that timing stinks, but I'm not sticking around! That path does go through a lot of industrial area though, stinky train stuff and all that, but it's nice at the end. It looked like the way to Ballard and Magnolia Center was just roads though, no bikepath? Still, it was a really nice run today.

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, congrats on 1st AG!  Speedy racing today!

Nice racing for Mtnchk and her DH today too, with AG awards.

I snagged 1st AG today too at the trail half marathon!  I ran a 2:07:34.  I don't know my splits because at about mile 3 my Garmin beeped and said the memory was full and I had to delete old runs - well, I wasn't about to stop and scroll through the menu right then, but it kept beeping, so I shut it up.  off.    It was about 52F and partly sunny and windy at the start, so I wore just shorts and a long sleeved shirt.  It started snowing (sideways) about mile 5 or 6, and I really wished I had gloves.  The temperature dropped down to the high 30's by the end, so I just ran fast to keep warm and be done quicker.  Seemomgo (Lori) had a good race too, and finished not far behind me.  Nice to have a friend to hang with at the start and finish!  Here's a picture of us, looking cold:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Nice splits Holly...

Ran my 5K today...didn't walk...29:22...Which is a minute per mile faster than training time right now...And won a box of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies!!!  Which I will donate to my girls...don't want to gain weight...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Lynden, congrats on the weight loss.  Mike, it's neat you volunteered at a race.  Dave, good job in your half and good news you felt ok.  mtnchk, nice 10K with 2nd in AG and good for your husband with PR and 3rd in AG.  holly, you nailed that 15K, right on your goal and 1st in AG.  wild, way to go on 1st in AG in your trail half.  Also neat that seemomgo was there.

Nice long runs for Tramps and evan.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 40s and there was a little wind.  I got in 8 miles at a 10:46 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

aka FlyingFinn

Great racing today Dave, Mtnchk, Lyndenrunner, Lori and Carolyn (great pic!), and Holly, and good job volunteering MikeE. 

Holly, you nailed it. Nice splits and a kick at the end. Woot!

Gordon, congratulations on your weight loss. That's phenomenal! You must feel fantastic.

5 hilly miles this afternoon, 63F and sunny.

Go, OM, go!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Good day everyone 3k today plowing around the neighbourhood. Not like it use to be but the sun was shining and I was alive. Pea soup for dinner tonight like a true habitant...courtesy of my mom...

Have a great day and weekend

Tallrunner

Recent Best times: None recently

Welcome back, Tall! Where ya been all this time?

Good racing, Holly! So a 15K is just 1K short of a 10-miler. We'll have to get you up here for the Crim someday.

Then there's that darn Carolyn, running a trail half marathon about as quick as I can run one on our flatlander roads. But congrats on the AG wins for you and that runner to the south of me. Smile

I had hoped to do at least a bike ride on an unseasonably warm day today, but the morning tech call from AT&T took most of the day (without resolution, I might add), so all I was able to do was a short walk with my DW before it started getting dark. At least it should be a repeat or even better tomorrow, and I'll be able to run my 10K race in shorts and short sleeves one last time this year.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

so many good times today for the first of a three-day weekend that will fizzle after two days for me.

For some reason, I kind of conked out at mile 25 of the Veterans Day First Call Marathon and missed getting a good time too under six hours by five or six minutes but had a good time too anyway, especially since my marathon mentor 83-yo Mega-Bob who helped me "discover" back in 1997 more than one marathon-a-year fof fitness-and-fun.. It was 30-degrees at the start at dawn but my cold bare feet warmed up as the sun warmed up the pavement.

I bet erika had a lot of fall's fallen leaves to run through too by the bluff between the industrial area and the yacht harbor and I think some yellow birches or something along by the Yacht Club, etc..  INstead of swinging around to the left to the yacht harbor, keep going to the north from 91 leads to Discovery Park where you ran last Sunday and/or the yachts going through the Ballard Locks. Some salmon too.

I'll take snow for skiing over running any day, especially in winter.  Though I don't go to movies, if I did, I'd go to any James Bond film, I don't care who the actor is.  Coming from up north, I always loved the beach, . . and other, . . sceneries but all of Q's gadgetry was a little much to believe, . . .until I worked overseas for the government..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Carolyn - brrrrrr!  Nice running, though!

Gordon - nice job!  And such restraint with the GS cookies.....Smile

Tet - another marathon for you - wow - great job!

Got the official results and turns out I was not the only one in my AG....

1/8 AG

17/67 Female

80/166 OA

Mtnchk1 - awesome pictures!

Okay, may I say . . . . SOME INCREDIBLE RACING FROM THIS GROUP THIS WEEKEND!!  Doggone!  I look at the times you people are posting, and I feel like a snail.  But you know what?  I don't care, 'cause I'm happy and I'm having fun. Smile

Carolyn - You remind me of an actress, but I just can't put my finger on who it is.  Every time I see a picture of you, her face sits right on the edge of my memories, but I can't pull it out.  Argh!!

Ribs - I haven't read yesterday's daily, but I was shocked about Petraeus.  But like you said, he's doing the honorable thing in stepping down.

. . . LAURA DERN!  That's who you remind me of, Carolyn.  Do you have any idea how long it's taken me to pull that one out?  It's your smile.

Lyndenrunner - Nice job on the weight loss!

TW - Have fun on your bike ride tomorrow.

I had 8 wonderful trail miles this morning out at Headwaters.  Managed a 13:55 overall pace, which is fine by me. The sun was shining, everything was so crisp and clean after our first rains, my body felt good.  There's a steady climb beginning at Mile 4, and coming down, it's a downhill runner's dream.  I was listening to the 3NJ's, but turned them off for the mile of downhill just to enjoy the sheer joy and freedom I was feeling.  Approve

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I'm just glad you're not in my AG - you'll be way ahead of me at the Monkey!

OM - Good luck at the Harrisburg marathon tomorrow!   I'm glad you're not in my AG either (I think they do 5-yr AGs there) because you're fast too!

Turns out I was 1/17 in my AG today, and Lori was 5/17.  Happy about this race!  And looking forward to the Monkey!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.