Masters Running

Thursday 12/15/16 Brrrrr Runs (Read 26 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy!

I turned on the TV to see one of my running team members being featured in a story.  She was hit on her bicycle last year in a hit-and-run.  She and her bike flipped across the hood of the car and into a ditch (i.e., not a chance the driver didn't notice) and he/she drove off and left her for dead.  She had a broken hip,ruptured spleen, and I think a broken arm too.  Anyway, she recovered and completed the Ironman in Phoenix last month.  Awesome lady.

Only 2 (feels like -18) degrees this morning, so TM it was.

5.5 miles for me this morning on the TM reading my Kindle.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

hi holly/////.........kinda quiet in here

==========

high 20's here today

did 20-min X-Bike Standing,,,,,,seem to be catching a cold, so staying inside today

THE GOOD NEWS-

while I was in knoxville

they layed 5-miles of Greenway here//////

hit it yesterday

('bout Froze My Tukus)

it's level, relatively private, AND 6-minutes away from my house//////

does it get any better??

I think not

hopefully

going to hit it again tomorrow,,,,,,kinda Wimped Out on the PoolRunning, only got in One this week

..........good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

everyone hunkered down?

Sucks if they haven't found the person responsible.

Welcome back, TW.  I love greenways.  Run on them in Charlotte.  There is an effort to put in a rail trail that will pass very close by to me.  Snooty people in the neighboring town that it will also pass through are playing the NIMBY game.  Most every study proves that these things tend to reduce, rather than increase crime.  Hope they do ours before I get too old to use it.

Not sure if it counts as a wimp out for not running this morning, as it sets me up for MMTD tomorrow morning.  Just hope the wind dies down a bit by then.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Ran after work yesterday.  Hammy got PO'd again, so no more running 'til hopefully this weekend.  It was a great run, which included peeing on myself and running through flood waters from cow pastures, which I am assuming also included cow poop.

How does one pee on oneself, you ask?  Well, when it's a fairly isolated road, you push yourself back into the bushes as far as possible and hope no one comes along.  Then at the most inopportune time, you see headlights and you start telling yourself, "Stop peeing, stop peeing!" as you're pulling up your pants, only Yourself says, "Ain't gonna happen, sister," and it pretty much becomes a "Well, there's nothing I can do about this" moment.

I promptly washed all my clothes and myself upon returning home.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

How does one pee on oneself, you ask?  Well, when it's a fairly isolated road, you push yourself back into the bushes as far as possible and hope no one comes along. 

..love it....

My Favorite Technique

is the ''Two Steps into the Woods, Grab a Small Tree and Lean Out'' Technique

not for peeing necessarily,

but

helps you NOT come home Only Wearing One Sock

Too Much Information??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite - very cool!

Leslie - I just love you!  You crack me up with your straight up talk...  For my part, last weekend I went off path into the woods to find a place to pee that wasn't in plain view of the path (not so easy with the leaves gone) and when I got back to the path afterward I realized I was covered in small burrs - pants, coat, mitts - took me forever after the run to pick them out one by one.  Sure wish the portopotties were still out on the path, but they won't be back until March or April.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Sometimes, during a run in a cold rain, peeing on yourself feels kind of good...for a couple seconds.

Today's conversation has clearly veered far off into TMI territory. No, I do not want to know what you do in the event of intestinal distress. Really, please no. 

I woke up this morning with back spasms. I have not had them in nearly 25 years. Tell the truth, I never really missed them. With some luck a night flat on my back will cure the problem.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Sometimes, during a run in a cold rain, peeing on yourself feels kind of good...for a couple seconds.

I do envy you boys who can pee in nature without potentially making a mess of your shoes etc.

I did 6 miles later in the day, about 37F and no wind, so I really enjoyed this run.  It got a bit dusky towards the end, and I remembered how much I used to love to run at night, in the dark.  Don't know why.  Shower, dinner and PJs.  It doesn't get much better than that!

Job interview number one - fail.  That's ok, the pay was shockingly terrible and it was a 6 month contract with no benefits.

Job number two tomorrow and number 3 on Monday.  Number 2 is the one I really want the most.  Number 3 probably pays the highest, but that is not my goal.

This will have been 4 face to face interviews at 4 places in only two weeks.  I am on a roll!  But so so ready to hopefully get off this merry-go-round.  Somehow this all reminds me of dating too....waiting for the right match.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Leslie - you cracked me up!!!  I wouldn't have even tried to stop - totally useless 

Holly - so glad your team member recovered so fully!! I found out the other day a friend from hs was hit by a car while riding her bike in FLorida and is not doing so well right now. I really pray her condition changes for the better soon!!!

TwoCat - hope your back feels better in the morning!

Enke - good luck and hope job #2 pans out!!

6 miles for me early this morning before the winds picked up!!

It was pretty frigid this afternoon while I was out doing errands. Squeezed in a chiro appt to help keep the body tuned up - some days feels like a losing battle!!  Tomorrow will definitely be a gym day for me - temps and wind chill sound frightening!!

denise

Enke - Good luck with the continued job interviews.  I don't envy you!

Hang in there with the back 2K.  Not fun at all!

TMI?  Is there really such a thing as TMI with runners???

Tom - I have used and promptly discarded a pair of gloves, and was thankful on another occasion that I had a bandana with me as a nose wipe.  I've had many moments of walk - compose - walk - compose, praying I make it home before I simply can compose no more.  And there have been many times composure has flown right out the window like a hurricane and you just say, "Oh well."  That's what I told myself last night - "At least I wasn't pooping myself this time."  It's the small victories . . . .

Holly - I ran a 50k in the desert a few years back. . . . . . . tumbleweeds and sagebrush provide very little cover.  "Move along!  Move along!  Nothing to see here!"

Okay - I need to hit the hay after a very long day.   . . . . nice rhyming! 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

awesome Iron-lady friend holly.

leslie - so how did it work out with only tumbleweed and sagebrush to hide behind.

Actually, most runners don't care one iota.

Just ask someone who mistakenly thought he'd just been passed by the only runners

ahead of him coming back from the out-and-back turn-around in the early morning

darkness of an early start in the rain in a recent marathon.

How come it seems colder coming back to 37o from +4o?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I've had many moments of walk - compose - walk - compose, praying I make it home before I simply can compose no more.  And there have been many times composure has flown right out the window like a hurricane and you just say, "Oh well."  That's what I told myself last night - "At least I wasn't pooping myself this time."  It's the small victories . . . .