Masters Running

Sat 1/31 Runs - And Where Good Friends Meet (Read 465 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Smile I am super busy at work because of the snow covered and slick roads, and the shop is packed. So I am at work getting some paper work done this Sat morning....but I don't mind it too much in the winter. Going to the Y at about Noon to run on the treadmill...I have a 1 mile walk - 2 to 3 mile easy run - then 1 mile walk planned, then wieght and core work. My foot feels super good this morning, so all should be good Smile. And I promise to behave myself at the Y today, yeah right Hey, what the heck is up with this - Indiana....January....3 below zero....and I saw 3 Robins this morning Confused Confused Confused This absolutely does not happen here this time of year....hummmm. Hope everyone has good runs today, or have a great day no matter what you have planned today. Oh Yeah.........thanks Bill, that was great. Hey Tamster, did you hear about what happened??? Your Goofball Friend TimBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Morning TimBo - where is everyone this morning? Confused Saturday - 6.03 miles - 51:39 - (8:34) Avg HR 128 / Max HR 138 Partly Cloudy & 17° A nice easy run in preparation for tomorrows 10 mile Mid-winter classic.
        Robins up North in January??? Weirdness ... I woke up this morning and noticed that the sun did in fact come up and that the world had apparently survived the rift in the Force that I caused by doing an after-work run last evening. After a long 12 hour day at work yesterday it was not apparent that a run was going to happen. But with the weekend looking to be filled with Work related activities - phone calls, conference calls, emails, status updats, and paniced Users - I didn't think any early morning runs were guaranteed. So off I went for a 10.15 mile jaunt in the evening. Just as dark as morning. Just as solitary as 5:00 AM. BUT TONS MORE TRAFFIC. Yuck. Give the pre-dawn any time. 10.15 miles at a "train, don't strain" effort level that ended up at 8:30 pace overall. (IRunning these paces is scaring me.) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, No run for me today....I slept 'til 8:30...Big grin Bill, don't complain about working...a lot of people would give anything to be working right now. I've been self-employed for 37 years...been through many bad times. This is the worst that I've ever seen it! Good running to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

7 VERY crappy miles this morning. I guess it's better than zero crappy miles. Shin is sore. couldn't get to my normal 8:50 to 9:05 pace and couldn't get desired miles. Planned on 10-12 miles at 9:00 pace and had to settle for 7 miles at 9:35 pace and my shin and calf pretty much hurt the whole time. Sorry, who wan't to read someone else's kvetching? Roll eyes Just lots of stretching, ice, the stick and see what happens.

Slo

Good Morning...Happy Saturday I'd be out doing a really easy 3 miler right now but I got called into work because of a pissed of electrician who was forced in and has decided he's just going to make everyones life miserable. Angry I did manage to get in a 30 min swim........short, 1100 yds followed by a core workout. Then I was stupid enough to answer the phone without checking caller ID. Last night was 2 easy, 2 x 10min at 10k (6:53) followed up with 3 easy. Good workout. If I manage to get out today for a run It'll be in 30 deg temps ! We'll.......I best be heading out to plant.
                6.0 miles easy, after getting up late, after getting in late two nights in a row. I'm not used to this. 16° and sunny , 10:02 pace.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

dg.

good morning! Tim, how about a trade. your robins for our skunks. Bill & Maine... nice runs as usual. George, I'm so sorry about your shin!! I hope the ice & stick & so forth help... are you stretching it? Be careful about how much you run... I was reading the other day that when the shin muscles are strained & can't absorb shocks like they should the stress transfers to your bones... can easily get stress fractures. Makes you just want to kick something doesn't it. Slo_hand I had to laugh at your fish burp comment the other day. I'd just ordered some krill oil, new for me. So far so good. Smile. A late afternoon workout for me yesterday, I like morning better. 4.07 miles, might have been my fastest ever.Blush even though I really wasn't trying to. 8:54 av. pace, miles were 9:37, 8:38, 8:34, 8:38, last bit at 8:06. HR was a little high, but no news there. I had to get home to let Sadie out, so I only did 10 minutes on the bike, then 2 sets of lower body weight machines. The whirlpool was taunting me but I didn't dare. I'll go back in about an hour for a very short easy run (still working on this new plan) & lots of elliptical. Then upper body stuff. Happy weekend to everyone.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Work? What's that? Cry Byll.. glad you battled the traffic and won! Nothing like wee hours empty roads...just nothing beats that...except a nice trail in teh daylight maybe.. 4 Magical Healing miles with Tory in 40:07 (10:02 pace, AHR 137). Could feel the weeks hard efforts. All healed now.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The hard winter continues 5F -7 wind chill w/ 1 inch fresh snow making 41 inches for January. No safe place to run w/out driving 25-30 minutes so off to the gym we went. 1 hour treadmill progression for 6.3 miles. DW logged 5 miles in 1:15, lots of walking. Will save the drive & snowy run for tomorrow's club run since weather is looking 10-12 degrees warmer and the park does a good job on the roads. Maine how do you do it? Bill nice run as usual. How about sending about 20 degrees up here to NE Ohio. Someone told me they saw several robins here last week Shocked That's like 2 months early so maybe that means an early Spring. Smile George find something very low impact for a couple weeks. Have a great day!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Sorry, who wan't to read someone else's kvetching?
                        Hey, that’s what we’re here for. Dg – speedy! I can’t get that kind of speed until I have at least 2 miles of 10:XX pace. Timbo – same chill going on here in Ohio, but tomorrow it’s supposed to warm up a bit. Bill - people often ask if I worry about running in the dark at 6am, but really, I would worry so much more running in the dark at 6pm - like you said, much more traffic and more people around. 16 mile wave run on the TM this morning, with miles 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 at 8:49, 8:34, 8:34, 8:34, 8:34, 8:49, the miles in between at 10:00, and the last 3 miles at 10:31. There were several short interruptions for children and potty/water stops, but the fast miles were all non-stop. A good hard workout, and one I could not have done outside today, with the icy pavement. I finished with a good stretch and 60 lunges on each leg. Might be a touch stiff tomorrow. Roll eyes I was glad for a good run, since tonight will be a big overeat: We’re having 3 couples over for a dinner party, and along with prime rib and assorted side dishes, I’ll be serving Tammy’s cinnamon apple cake, served warm with ice cream. Thanks, Tammy! That cake is awesome! Today is DS’s birthday, and he’s officially 12. (He was kind enough to allow us to have his party last week, since we were having scheduling difficulties for tonight’s dinner.) We’re taking him to his favorite place for lunch: Chic fil A. Then DD's swim lesson, and I head to the kitchen... Smile Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

easy peasy 3.2ish in 40 ish.....very different temps from my run on Tuesday in miami....24F, 12 mph winds, feels like 14F today, 75ish on tuesday....ah, for the warm days of summer. P/T worked me over yessterday and declared no issues from my half....wants to know if I want to increase miles or get faster....I am just so freaking happy to be running again I hadn't even given that consideration. That is a wonderful choice to be making. January will be my highest mileage month in a very long time....I am so very pleased. Off to get all my hair chopped off cause I am going back to swimming as my cross training..... Good runs and good day everyone

Trails Rock!

anachrotech

Morning all. Nice to see you're back at it tim. My runs the last couple weeks were barely there with the move and all. Couple weeks ago, when moving some of my MIL stuff to storage I slipped off the trailer ramp and nearly put my face into a metal door jam. Thankfully I only smashed my knee and hand. I was, of course, carrying a box marked "fragile". I'm ok now, but the knee still bothers me when going up the stairs. But I got 2 in this morning. Good runs all.
                              Yesterday I went 6 miles with a friend of mine, and today 8 with the local running club. Alas, the woman I often run with (and her incredibly well behaved dog) got bored with my pace and dropped me at about mile 4. Darned leg! Oh well . . . Freezing cold here today! Where did all the sun's heat go? On a totally different topic while I was away in Wyoming I ordered trout with a pecan crust and it was sensational. So I started looking for a recipe for it on line. Most were calorie packed! Just loaded with fat one way or the other. Then I found this one. I tried it last night with my DW and my (currently former) TP. We all loved it! So for those of you that might have an interest in it, here is the link: Pecan Trout Recipe.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

In response to yesterday's discussion of bathroom issues and Imodium, I want to pass on something I've heard and ask some questions. One of my race friends has mentioned this kind of problem for quite awhile but thinks she's got it cured. She started taking probiotics to help her intestines work properly and has reported that her problems seem to be cured. I've tried taking some for about a month and, at first, thought things were improving but, more recently, have not felt so sure. I know there are different kinds of probiotics and wonder if I'm not using the most benficial kind. Has anyone else had any experience with probiotics? A number of you mentioned using Imodium, I have several questions: 1. How long before a race (or run) do you take the Imodium? 2. What dosage do you take? 3. How long does it take for your system to get back to working normally? When I started running, in my middle 50s, I had almost no problems. As the years have passed, it seems like the problems have worsened to the point where, at age 65, I have more runs than not that I need a bathroom stop and am increasingly apprehensive when I have a race. Thanks for any input. TomS