Masters Running

Monday, 12/26 daily (Read 27 times)

Mariposai

Good morning running family. How is the day after Christmas treating you guys?.  As for me, I am still fighting this nasty cold, day 7 and counting. I went out for a test run yesterday, but I was able to run only 2 miles.

The Easy Pacer did a nice ham dinner for the two of us last night. Today we were planning to go skiing, but I am still feeling lousy, so we are just having another relaxing day at home.

So, tell us how good was Santa to you this year Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Home from work we ate our way through the day and had maybe a half dozen beautiful Christmas babies!!

Hmm.. There are a number of ways to interpret that sentence. As for myself, I ate maybe a half dozen beautiful Christmas cookies, but draw the line at babies  . But it all became clear when I remembered what your profession is.

Thanks for starting us off, Posey. I had a great Christmas with our small family gatherings on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at our house (I was the entre chef on Saturday and my DW took over yesterday).

Now I'm about to head for the gym to get a start on working off what's been accumulating since about Thanksgiving! The temperature is supposed to shoot up into the 50s this afternoon, but I won't be running outside until maybe tomorrow morning (never could run in the afternoon).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

I was so busy yesterday I had no time to post, but I've got my run logged now and see I finally broke 50 miles last week (53)! Nice! But I'm only up to 14 miles for my long run, and it was a challenge yesterday. Ufda. Had dinner at my brother's and today is just hanging out at the house. I might go run, but only a short recovery-type run if that.

I hope you're feeling better soon, Mariposai! There's never a good time to be sick, but during the holidays it's especially hard.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So, where's the East coast contingent?  Happy Boxing Day to all.

We had a very nice Christmas day with DD and BF.  They seemed to like what we got them and they went overboard on what they got us.  We THOUGHT that we would have less to bring home than we came with.  Not likely.  We had a delicious ham dinner with loaded mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts, and green beans.  All cooked by BF.  We are impressed.

Sorry you're under the weather, Mari.  Hope you at least have some time away from work to recover.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Mariposai}}}

After spending almost the entire day yesterday cooking, cleaning, and then doing dishes, I am not cooking today at all.  There's plenty of leftovers.

I did get up and go to the YMCA this morning, and set a new record: 60 lengths (30 laps).  I plan to do about 25-30 minutes of weights and core in a bit.  Right now I am logged into my work computer and putting in a few hours in hopes of meeting my December deadlines.  This is officially a paid holiday from work, but oh well.  I am hoping to catch up enough to take off early on Friday.  And then NEXT weekend I will relax.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly S. might be people were pretty busy with visitors yesterday. I know that kept me pretty tied up. If it makes you feel any better, and it will not, I am working today.

pfriese congratulations on hitting the 2k mile mark!

deez4boyz very neat secret Santa presents!

Mariposai feel better soon!

rochrunner I can so relate to that extra pounds problem! I have put on 6 since I ran a marathon in early November! 

evanflein I am always impressed you can live where you do and get in any winter miles let alone 50 in a week.

stumpy77 glad to hear BF is a good cook. I have been to dinners where the host is shall we say chef challenged. Worst part is, one of my long time friends has such a wife and they invite my DW and I over for many holiday dinners. We really cannot say no more than every once and awhile. But it is grueling.  Add to that dinner often comes out really late and it is over an hour drive back home. 

I ran 6 yesterday. My first run over 6 miles since the marathon. I warned my training partner that when we run tomorrow 6 miles means 6 miles not her usual 6 is actually 8 or 9 miles. Funny, she is thinking of bailing on a HM she is signed up for in January. She says she is not trained up for the distance. As if. Let me translate: I can run the HM but I cannot win my AG with any degree of certainty so I am not trained up for the distance. I suppose that when you are in a class that can regularly compete for AG awards, no matter how large the field, it is tough to just run a race for the heck of it. Unfortunately, I never seem to have had that problem! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi masters,

We had a good Christmas in the California desert.  It was chilly, but we found a sheltered south-facing crag and climbed 3 routes with our friend that we're camping with.  Then I went for a 9 mile run, and we had a campfire in the evening.   Today we're headed to Joshua tree national park for more climbing.  Santa didn't bring us anything, but since we're living in a van with 2 people and 2 dogs, we don't have room for anything else anyway!

Glad everyone had a good holiday.  Enjoy your leftovers, Holly!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

evanflein I am always impressed you can live where you do and get in any winter miles let alone 50 in a week.

+1

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."