Masters Running

It is Friday!!! we survived the week!!!!!! (Read 404 times)

Mariposai

Isn't it great to have survived one more working week and now we are all ready for our beloved weekend. Still rest day for me after the 10 hours of climbing, but I may try the wings out for a few miles later today. Here is to a great weekend to all!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy TGIF Smile Absolutely breath taking pictures Mariposai...the only thing more breath taking is you Wink...thanks for sharing!!! Enjoy your rest day Mary, you deserve it after your hard work...great job! Erika, I am still struggling with my shoes choices also...it's a real frustrating process with sooo many different kinds of shoes, and opinions on which one's are right. 10 hot - muggy - sloggish - lead legged - miles last night at 9:15 pace, but got er done none the less. I guess sometimes during Marathon training we have to run on tried legs in preparation for the race, but some times struggle with backing off, or pushing through. Last night seemed like one of those runs I really needed to push through to build stamina and endurance....and think I needed gills with the thickness of moisture in the air. Seem strange when I log my runs and chose easy - long - tempo - and such. But when I logged this run I chose easy because of pace, but it was a hard run. But if a person puts "hard" run down, most would assume some speedy PR kind of run....just thinkin.... Well, gotta get started on my huge mound of paper work Roll eyes Have a great day everyone Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

10 hot - muggy - sloggish - lead legged - miles last night at 9:15 pace, but got er done none the less. I guess sometimes during Marathon training we have to run on tried legs in preparation for the race, but some times struggle with backing off, or pushing through. Last night seemed like one of those runs I really needed to push through to build stamina and endurance....and think I needed gills with the thickness of moisture in the air.
        Couldn't agree with you more Tim! Nice job pushing through and "gettin' er done!" Felt so good to sleep in today - although B'Nellie wanted to get up at 4:45. I said nope, don't think so and we both slept until 6:15. Ahhhhhhhh. DG - next week is a cut back week - alleluia! TGIF!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The Jogger

Thanks for starting us off Mari, an incredible journey you had yesterday. Tim, 09:15 pace sluggish? Tempo Smile I went out to to a 5m undulating low HR run as I got to 1.4m I was passing the turn off point for my hilly 5.33m circuit. I had to take it, just couldn't stop myself and Woody didn't complain. He is always so keen to go up there. So we started our 500' ascent Smile Allthough I wasn't up as high as Mari, I was enjoying running down the hill watching the birds flying below me...... At the top I was sweating and these small fly things kept landing on me, sticking to my sweat and nibbling me. No matter how much I told them to Foxtrot Oscar...... they wouldn't go. Anyway 5.33m 01:00:56 @ 11:26 pace AHR 152 71% Good Runs All Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice run Roy... pesky flies just wouldn't listen to you! Tim.. I've been having a string of "those" days 6 Magical Healing Miles in Conover, NC (55:21, 9:15 pace, AHR 150.. still muggy) My durn left leg is barking softly and I don't know if it is bone, tendon or muscle. It's mild now so I'm running easy till it stops or gets worse. Recovery week anyways. Reminds me of Deena's interview where she now remembers her foot giving her some problems (early warnings). She couldn't wear the Sponsor's (Asics) shoes as a result. This is the part of running I don't like, on the edge. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I ran 3 miles last night and felt positively speedy, the whole time wondering if I would pay the price today. I'm happy today to say that I feel pretty darn good. Anyway, the pace? 13:00/mi. The best I've done all summer. I look on in amazement when 10:00 pace is described by many of you as sluggish. I'm in awe. biketm - I know what you mean about describing the run as hard vs. easy. Most of my summer would be described as hard, but I record them as easy. Mari - That photo is amazing, that must've been quite a rush!

Renee the dog

I'm jealous of those of you with altitude available. I think mine changes 5' and that's only if I go up on the boardwalk! The view from the top of the boardwalk just doesn't compare Mariposai! Smile Today, I felt like not running -- back achy, stomach achy. So, I got dressed and hit the end of my street (which is facing east/southeast) just as the sun was halfway up over the ocean. EXACTLY half. I run along the street and probably took 4-5 years off my eyesight as I just couldn't stop looking today. Had a little cry after I got to the boarwalk and realized my Dad wouldn't see any more of these sunrises and he always enjoyed getting up and seeing them. Decided I wasn't hydrated enough to run and cry, so I stopped that pretty fast. Just past my turnaround point, I met up with a dog -- a zen-like labrador -- very unusual! His parents were very friendly and I enjoyed our chat immensely. Started up the watch again and zoomed back down the boardwalk -- I found two slowpoke bike riders and blew past them (hey, when an 8:45 paced runner is smokin' ya, it's time to reevaluate how much effort you are putting into that bicycling thing). With 1/2 mi to go, I saw a grandmother taking a picture of her husband and granddaughter. I stopped (and stopped the watch) and offered to take their picture. They were thrilled. I don't think anyone will ever even notice the ocean in the background as their 3 smiles were so dazzling. Finished up with an even 5 mi., which is about what I wanted to do today. Cool Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

A lot of training is "on the edge" Steve, as you well know. That must be especially for the Elites. Train hard, but don't break. It's a fine line sometimes. Aren't you glad you got up and out regardless how you felt, Nono? What a fabulous early morning run. I ran 8 miles this morning at just under 9 minute mile pace - GA pace for me. The temperature was up there (79F) but the humidity was down (79%) so it was bearable. I ran this GA run pretty well. Felt solid throughout. One of these days I need to start counting weeks til the HM's start. I've been hiding from the Training Schedules. But they're gaining on me ... (Hiding) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

3 easy today. Later, maybe I'll hike to the highest point in Midland and take a picture. I think that would be the US-10 overpass over on Waldo Road. Big grin (I'm jealous of Mariposai.)

Good morning, all! Mariposai - awesome pictures and great kickoff this morning - Thanks!!! Roy - Foxtrot Oscar, huh? I'll have to remember that one. Nice run with Woody! Mary - you and B-Nellie enjoy the rest day - you've earned it. {{{{{{{{{Enke and Nonoruns}}}}}}}}}- hope you are feeling better today. Nonoruns - you had a lovely run in spite of not feeling well - thanks for sharing. {{{{{{{{Perch's left leg}}}}}}}} - be careful! Handymom - you are doing great, and you have every right to be proud of your accomplishment - you go girl!!! As you build mileage, your times will drop. I guess I'm an anomaly as I really don't mind running on the treadmill at all. That may be cause I spent the first 14 years of my running career doing hamster laps on the track. I'm adept at letting my mind wander aimlessly if I'm on the track or treadmill for a long run. I can also think through problems and plan quilt designs and other creative endeavors. 7.6 easy miles on the track this morning @9:58 pace. I spent the better part of yesterday in the emergency room with my Mom. It's mind boggling that an RN can't recognize respiratory distress and offer a rescue inhaler. This is the third time the nurse in Mom's assisted living facility has sent her to the emergency room without even trying to use her inhaler - knowing full well that my Mom has COPD/emphysema. I'm at a crossroads here, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to consider a nursing home just to get competent nursing care. Good runs and a good weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Nono – your post gave my heart a lift today, thank you. No run for me today – light x-training instead: dumbbell presses, flies, lying hammer curls, leg lifts w/ankle weights, face-up and face-down, lateral raises, butt-blasters, butterflies, and various crunches. Yesterday I was feeling some achyness all day in my injured tendon area – not bad, but enough to make me rethink my weekend runs. It would work better with my weekend family schedule to do my LR tomorrow, but since I want to increase the mileage this week, I think I will x-train tomorrow instead and do my LR on Sunday (much as I hate to get up at 4am on a Sunday to run long before church, especially when we have a party to go to that night). I’ve been pushing it a little bit coming back from this injury, though, and I want to be careful here not to re-injure. Happy Friday! p.s. Can I just say here that summer is NOT over, do ya hear me, SUMMER IS NOT OVER!!!! We have THREE MORE WEEKS OF SUMMER!!!! Okay? Jeesh, I’m so tired of people trying to shave 25% of my favorite season off because the kids go back to school. Makes no difference to me where the kids are while I’m at work – school or the babysitter – our weekends are STILL summertime until the end of September! So there…. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Come down here Holly. I have plenty of Summer to spare. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning all, ...beautiful weather here in the Carolinas again this morning. 70ish and sunny. 10.13 miles of hills @ 9:10 pace. I'm a little disappointed at this point because I haven't been putting in the intended mileage with about 8 weeks to go before my marathon...I'll try to bump it up a somenext month. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Be safe Holly...Don't over do it... 5 easy miles in somewhat windy conditions...8:16 pace...still feeling a little stiff in my one hip...
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                                Come down here Holly. I have plenty of Summer to spare. Bill
                                Can I join Holly and go there with her? I agree! DH is seeing a Denver doc today, out on an early flight so I ran with the dawn. 5.04 in 39:28--65 here, but going to the 90s, we're told. 8:22/7:59/7:48/7:27/7:37 (it's uphill at the end). Perch-take it easy. Mari, great trip, I've enjoyed the accounts and photos. Say, I've got to work today Sad, anyone else? Weekend won't start until 5. grins, A
                                Masters 2000 miles