Masters Running

Beach to Beacon 10K RR (Read 228 times)

Five of our running group met up at the local Hannaford’s and headed off to Cape Elizabeth to meet some more of our group at the parking area near the start of the race. We arrived right on time at 6:30 and met with the rest of our group and chatted it up while prepping for a pre-race 2 mile warm up…17:38 (8:49). I knew that I really needed at least a two mile warm up since I had been having a few minor issues with my right knee giving me a little pain early on in some of my recent runs. I had to hope it wouldn’t act up during the race. After finishing the warm up we changed into our respective racing gear we headed to the starting area. My fashion report: Black Adidas running shorts, Red & White Asics DS Trainers, Red & White singlet, White Boston 2008 running hat and my old Garmin 201. After lining up right in the middle of the 6:00 & 7:00 Pace groups we waited for the opening ceremony to start. Just moments before the start number 16 jogged by and I recognized Bill Rodgers as he attempted to hop the fence right behind me…I jokingly told him he needed to go to the rear with the rest of the back of the packers! He laughed with us and hopped on in just behind me. My good friend Joel ended up running a good distance with him and had a chance to chat with him as well and he said that he is coming along nicely as he is recovering from Prostate Cancer. My goals as I have previously stated were: 1 - Have fun 2 - Finish feeling good 3 - 41:02 or better 4 - 39:59 - probably not gonna happen but hey an outside chance! I met up with my running bud Brian who runs a lot of races with me at roughly the same pace to see how he was doing and what his plan might be. He has been struggling with PF and didn’t think he was going to have a very good day. I told him I was planning on heading out at about a 6:30 pace in an attempt not to go out to fast as I so often do. After the singing of the national anthem and the wheelchair start it was our turn and we were off and right off the bat I had a bit of a struggle with runners that really had no business up this close to the start as they were barely jogging. As I ran I tried to concentrate on not going too fast and not expending too much energy by weaving in an out of those slower runners. As I checked my Garmin at about the half mile point I was at about 3:15 which was just about perfect so I tried to settle into this pace. I was also being passed by quite a few rabbits in the early going but that really ended just before the 1 mile mark which I passed at 6:28. Perfect I thought a couple of seconds off sub 40 pace but still OK, and I grabbed a water remembering to drink at each water station due to the high humidity I knew I would need the fluid replenishment. As we neared the first turn of Route 77 I saw a runner that is a few years older than me that I had recognized (Steve) he was running well, but I went by him easily at this point and thought to myself “it’s ok your running right at pace” so I continued on and came upon young lady running about my pace for awhile and then we came upon a younger girl and no matter what I did this girl wouldn’t let me pass as she would go from the left to the right etc. Finally I asked her “sweetheart would you please make up your mind so that I can pass you” and my new found running friend chimed in “Yeah really”! Well she finally did move over and we ran on past her never to see her again. Mile 2 came up right after we went by her at 6:29 (12:58) and I was really feeling good at this point. I could also feel the cooler ocean air along this stretch and ended up finding myself running alone again as my running friend couldn’t hold the pace. As I approached the 3 mile mark I lined myself up for an easy water grab and doused my head with a cup and then grabbed another to drink. I passed mile 3 at 6:49 (19:47) hmmm that was a little slow but I am still good I think as I pass the halfway point just a bit past 20:00 minutes. I had locked myself into a fellow runner in my age group (Paul) that I have been running with of late and trading off beating and just losing to. I kept him within about 10-15 yards and simply ran with him over the next mile or so. Just before the mile four marker I noticed another runner in my age group that I have been trading off beating and losing to (Gerard) pass me and it kind of woke me up as I think I had gotten into a bit of a funk…maybe I was feeling too good I don’t know. Anyways mile 4 came at 7:01 (26:48) crap I thought what the heck happened here? OK wake up Bob and don’t let Gerry go. So I got my composure together and dug down and ran like I knew I could and could feel myself getting back on track as I used the hills in this part of the course to my advantage. I continued taking water and dousing my head at the next few water stops (I really think that helped keep me cooler). As mile 5 came in at 6:25 (33:13) I made my move as I could sense Gerry struggling on the first hill of this next final mile. I actually said hi to him as I went by and he said hi back and then shouted “Go get him Bob he’s right there and your looking strong” that really made me feel good as I passed Paul on the next hill and he immediately answered my challenge. I thought this might really be a good race to the finish as we took the downhill in stride. However, on the next up hill I powered up it and losing Paul and never saw him again (until the finish). I was feeling really good and strong (the strongest I have ever felt at the end of a race…especially a hilly one like this). As I made the final turn into the Fort and powered up that hill I felt even more confident and refused to look back over my shoulder as I was determined not to let anyone pass me from this point on (and no one did either) I hit the 6 mile mark at 6:20 (39:33) I knew that a sub 40 wasn’t in the cards at this point but I also knew that if I could keep it together this final .2 I would see a PR and I pushed as hard as I could finishing in 40:52. YES a course PR and more importantly a 10K PR by 11 seconds. Big grin I see Joan Benoit-Samuelson at the finish, (on the course and she didn’t run) hey I thought how nice of her to congratulate me for my PR…of course she was really there to greet her daughter who had finished three runners ahead of me at 40:49! I immediately look for Paul (finished 10 seconds back) and Gerry (finished 16 seconds back) to thank them for pushing me to a PR…what great guys, now this is really what it is all about! I ended up hooking up with all of our group shortly after (Jeff had finished in 37:10…he is coming off an Achilles injury and is quite a runner) Brian wasn’t able to run strong and held back with Jerry who is also running injured. Joel ran well finishing in 43Tight lippedx and told me of his run with Bill Rodgers. Well Joel, Jeff another friend Gregg and I ended up running the course back to the start to get some nice extra miles in 6.43 to the parking area 54:55 (8:33). Oh yeah those “elite” 50-54 year olds really ran well with Norm Larson really crushing the competition: 1 – Norm Larson – 33:51 2 – Tom Ryan – 35:03 3 – David Cannon – 35:37 4 – Stephen Chantry – 36:17 5 – Kevin McMahon – 36:29 Wow not bad for a bunch of old geezer jocks huh? Edited to add: We had a nice tailgating party after our run back with some beer on ice and a few pretzels and some wonderful converstaion. We even had a half dozen or so others join in..I wonder if it was the comany or the beers they enjoyed most? Cool
      Way to go Bob, I saw the good news earlier but thought I'd wait for your report to comment. What a nice push you made that last 2.2 miles! It has to do wonders for your confidence. You are definitely within range of that sub-40 now. For someone who has been running a while like we have I think that getting it down to less than a minute is an important milestone. If you just keep chipping away you will get there, or you might even have one of those breakthrough days were you take it down in one fell swoop! Well done!
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Nice race Bob. I really enjoyed your report and you're going to get that sub 40 soon. Likely when it cools off? Yeah, those are some fast old jocks.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Ultrachick

Congratulations on the PR Bob! Great report! Highly unlikely I'll ever run a 10K that fast so it's neat to hear what it's like. I'm friends with Norm and can't wait to hear his story. Awesome job! Big grin Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Them are some fantastic times. The rule of thumb for master's 10k's is if you can run less minutes than your age that is very good. Well you guys crushed that rule Shocked GREAT job!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Congratulations mainerunnah! I was so hoping you would get that PR and you did it in style and with some great splits. I agree with the others here who see a 40 and below for you quite soon. I just paged through the Beach to Beacon photo gallery on letsrun.com It's great to see the young stars as well as the ever youthful face of Bill Rodgers. Great racing and winged feet. You keep some fast company. Karin
              Henrun

Congratulations Bob. A really great run and a great report.
                  The PR is great! Nothing like having what I call "ghosts" (people for some reason you have decided you want to finish ahead of and are likely close behind) chasing you to help. Of course, the post-race party is what all this is really about! Sounds like the food was particularly good!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

very fast race Bob, I am really impressed with the group of people you run with. I agree that this fall with cooler temps and under 40 is in the bag. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Congratulations Bob...Very Impressive Race!!!...Nice PR
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      coastwalker

Hi Bob, Congratulations on a greta race and a fantastic PR! Especially on a warm and muggy day, and in a crowded race, you ran very well. Isn't it amazing how easily we can get lulled into a different race by running with a friend for a while? Thank goodness Gerard came along when he did, and good for you for responding so quickly and so well and getting back on pace for your PR. You're having a terrific year, Bob! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great race, Bob! Congrats on the PR - not an easy accomplishment given the heat and humidity. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bob.. Congratulations on a strong PR in humid conditions with hills! That is a really nice race to PR on with Bill and Joanie there! You are so inspiring with your steady improvements and blazing speed! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

DickyG

Congrats, Maine...you da man... DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations on your PR - great racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."