Masters Running

Friday, 6.24.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin ' everyone.

No more sickness or injuries, OK?

My smsll dam inspection yesterday was interesting. We never got to the dam (the path along the pond edge got way overgrown just in the last 10 days). But we learned a heck of lot about the pond, and and I continued to increase my knowledge about dry hydrants and cisterns, about which I know more now than ever wanted to. I also got to tour an antique car barn next to the pond in which classic cars (Cords, Dusenbergs, Rolls, Jags, Corvettes, etc.) are restored. A few that we saw are worth well over $1 million. A most impressive (and expensive) collection, owned by one man. At the end of the day I went home and mowed the lawn, and that brought me back down to earth.

Today I have to start to create (with a lot of help) a new website, write a draft agreement for a conservation easement, help get started on a drone video project to help promote our half marathon, and take the cardboard from the office to the town recycling station. Will I get it all done? Not a chance!

8.1 RW miles at 4 this morning in 54F temps, and under clear skies with the sun climbing over the horizon to the east and the moon still high in the sky where it will be hidden in the light of the sun before it sets. I have to soften up my new shoes a bit because they are cutting into me where my foot flexes by the base of my toes, and my feet don't like that.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

mornin' all,

well, big new from the UK.  will be interesting to see how it all plays out over time.

while I know nothing about dry hydrants and cisterns, Easements! I get.  And DH would have loved the antique car barn.  Plus, designing a website sounds fun.

very easy peasy 10K this am because I hit the bridge after work last night.  6+ miles, 4 of them the bridge RTs.  Bridge didn't get any steeper, but it was hot out there.  When I finished, I checked the weather: 87, feels like 97.  Yikes!  Good thing I didn't know that before the run.

good weekends, all!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

But no meetings?  Show those shoes who's boss.

5K around the lake this morning.  Love the mid 50's we've had lately.  Heading to Maine for the weekend and more predicted, with warm days.  Ideal as far as I'm concerned.

Sox are heading Rib's way tonight.  Sounds like it might be even warmer than your's, Amy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

No running to report here. I swear it takes much longer to recover from these relays than it used to. I am so exhausted each evening and I really don't know why. I just sit at my desk all day. sheesh.

David leaves real early Sunday morning for Atlanta for the week (should I be nervous that he's going there with a clown? I'm sure his teacher won't be bringing along his relay clown costume - or at least I'm telling myself that!).  So Saturday will be all about laundry, making sure he packs all he needs, pressing his business clothes, etc. Sunday morning we'll be up about 3:15 a.m. Didn't I just do this last weekend???

Tammy

coastwalker sounds like a great car collection! I wish I had the funds to own several antique cars worth over a million each! Not that I want several antique cars worth over a million each mind you. I just want the funds! 

AamosY even I will concede that is hot running weather!

Mariposai why would you take boots camping? If it is tiring have them pitch their own tent! Really, bunch of lazy boots you have there.

wildchild generally I see 6.5 miles and I think, nice run. Nothing too, too taxing. Then you nonchalantly add int up to a lake at 12,000' . Maybe nice and cool, but oxygen is nice too!

Mike E so do you also mow lawns at a sub 6 pace? 

fatozzig I think you have to be in charge of stories to get our injured comrades to take time off from running and other stressful activities. Worked on Holly S., something I thought  dang near impossible!  Seriously, Holly S. I was happy to read that you are going to take some real time off to heal.

Ran 10 miles this morning. One of my favorite routes, but too long for me to have done since last fall. Turned on Zombies Run! for this little outing to get in a few fartleks. Got bit on the third chase. Poor avatar!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tammy, I can understand.  I haven't run all week.  I am sleeping in a bit every morning, and thinking the next morning I will be perkier and ready for a run, then I sleep in again and it feels like I need it.  I guess a week off is ok?  I will do some kind of running this weekend.  Selling a canoe and motor Saturday that never gets used, so it will be nice to have some extra cash.  Things are shaking up here at work a bit - the investors think we are too big, so sounds like some layoffs are coming.  I've been told I will be ok, but I am also keeping my eyes and ears open in case I suddenly find myself unemployed.

Speaking of old cars, I saw a funny looking little Packard on the highway last weekend.  Don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

...enke//.......we used to call that ''Going Stale'

',,,,,,,,after a week, you'll be looking forward to the run

....well,

Pickles called

and her blood counts are still Stable at the oncologist........which is a Good Thing

============

.....50-min PoolRun with belt, closed fists, run in shallows

I have a Mad Plan to bump this up to an Hour,

after

10-years, it shouldn't be that difficult

.............................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Yay for Pickles and stable blood counts!

Fatozzig, that's a sobering warning about the need to pay attention to the little tweaks and niggles. I mean, we all get them and usually it seems they go away soon enough. But when something hangs on and gets worse, to the point you're making excuses for it to keep running, something's gotta give. Glad she's heeding the warnings and taking the time to heal. I hope they don't have to go in and do anything so invasive as what you described. Ouch.

Holly, you'll be back on the road sooner than later if you take the time now. Run another day, right?

I hear you guys on the failing to recover thing... It's my bugaboo this year, apparently. Well, that and/or I'm just experiencing normal aging slowdowns and all that. But seriously, that fatigue is something that never used to happen so I'm a little at a loss of how to deal with it. But, the relay is such a fun exciting event, with lots of activity and little sleep, so it's normal to be a little wiped out afterwards. I'd say don't go longer than this weekend though, time to get moving again!

So we had our mile race last night. I wasn't expecting a fast time and I surely met that expectation. The good news was, I actually felt ok, I just was more than a little afraid of crashing and burning before the end so probably didn't push as much in that last 400 as I should have. Oh well. It was a warm evening, a light turnout (for the women, seemed to be lots of men) and all the usual speedy suspects seemed to be missing. I ran a mediocre 7:08.9, which is my second worst time ever (the only worst time was my very first mile race at 7:15 or something) but I still won my age group (out of only 2) and came in 8th overall. I'll take it.

The scary thing is, the husband of the woman who was 2nd in my AG collapsed after his heat and had to be revived with a defibrillator. Our club has one since a guy had a heart attack at the track (this event) two years ago. We also had a doctor on hand (a pediatrician) and EMT's close by. Bob was at the hospital still last night in stable condition. A very good runner for many years, this was a shock to see on the news this morning. (I'd left right after my race to get to a family function, my dad's 89th birthday!)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

taper time.

No running today as I found a last minute marathon at nearby Taylor Mountain tomorrow that’ll let me celebrate running marathons in five different decades and 40 different years since no. 1 that I vowed never to do again in June 1977.  whew.
                    getting old

Although recovery and repair start talking longer,
                    erika's still speedy racing seems to be proof that many can keep running just as fast through their late fifties and early sixties as when in their thirties as worked for me for the first 25 years.  However, I won’t say what starts happening at 60-yo, then later on from 66-68 years, and finally into the seventies I'm experiencing now.   Fortunately, I don’t know about 80's yet but I hope it’s like Henry.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

, I won’t say what starts happening at 60-yo, then later on from 66-68 years, and finally into the seventies I'm experiencing now.   Fortunately, I don’t know about 80's yet but I hope it’s like Henry.

...wish we All aged like henry

..actually early 60's is when you find out WHY they told you not to do stuff in your 30's.....

=========

....but I digress......

in a Forced Show of enthusiasm

add another 45-min of biking in double low gear

(should have done this Wed, but screwed up my back)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TW - so happy for pickles good report, and your poolrunning and biking, good for you!

Tet, so cool to have so many years running under your belt. Anxious to meet you in Portland!  Maybe Jay should start running barefoot so he doesn’t have to break in those shoes.

Erika, the Sioux Falls Half is on Sunday, September 11th. Wanna come?  I have the Turkey Day 10K on Saturday 9/17.  I think Amy won the marathon a few years ago, at least her age group for sure.

MrStarr’s cardiologist thought that he should do some more testing of his heart function so when we get back from vacation they will schedule a stress tests, echo and another stress test where they give you an injection of a drug. He’s been having a few symptoms of pain once in a while so it’s good to get that all checked out.  The angiogram he had 5 years ago didn’t show any blockages at all but he was diagnosed with Cardio Myopathy at that time.

4.7 miles around the lake this morning in less than an hour and I was happy with that! I woke up yesterday at 5:15 and tried to run but bagged it due to a twinge in my ankle.  Today I put Aspercreme on my feet and they felt fine.  I rushed to the grocery store, pharmacy and cable tv place on my lunch hour. After work will hit the library and get books and audio books for vacation.  Otherwise I think I am packed and ready to go.

On a side note, I just received an email from Frontier Airlines…. They changed my flight to Portland from Friday to SATURDAY WITH A LAYOVER IN DENVER….WON’T GET TO PORTLAND UNTIL AFTER THE RACE STARTS ON SUNDAY!!! I have to calm down before I call them, any advice from the veteran travelers here?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Hi Starr, I would think that they'll rearrange it since their flight change has now ruined your plans. Take a deep breath, call and explain the situation, and ask how they can help make sure you get to your destination on time. There shouldn't be a change fee because its them who changed the plans on you. And sorry, I have the Equinox the following weekend. Smile  Hope Mr. Starr is ok....

Henrun

...wish we All aged like henry

..actually early 60's is when you find out WHY they told you not to do stuff in your 30's....

Be careful what you wish for!

My knee continues to keep me in pain. Medicare approved Synvisc injections starting next week. Unfortunately, we'll be in Toronto for the next 4 days and expect to do a lot of walking-can only WISH for the best while there.

On a "good note", when I asked the Ortho if I'm too old for a knee replacement if needed, he replied, "your primary thinks you're 80 going on 50".

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - what Erika said..

50 minutes or so of weights and core today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."