Masters Running

Thurs 6/26 Masters Runs (Read 517 times)

The Jogger

Morning All Hope all are injured and sick friends are seeing improvement...... Went out for a 5 miler hilly trail with MrsRoy. I helped her out of her 3 mile comfort zone with a little gentle encouragement Smile Anyway: 5m 58:51 @ 11:46 pace AHR 137 61% Good Runs All Roy
      Good morning. Thanks for getting us started Roy. I am glad your daughter wasn't seriously hurt when the ball hit her at Wimbledon. That is quite the story. 4.96 miles run in the cool of last evening. I am trying a new dimension in my runs that I want to experiment with for a while before I comment on it. Suffice it to say, this was a nice run. Wow......what a day it was yesterday here in our various forums. There are SO many issues going on in the lives of so many of you. I am not going to start listing them all for fear of leaving ANY one of you out. It does not matter WHO you are, or WHAT you are facing......if it is a problem to you, then it is a problem. Whatever situation in life that YOU are facing today, remember the principle of "eating an elephant"....it is done one bite at a time. You may not be able to solve your problem in one day or even in a short period of time, however by focusing on a small part of the solution and moving positively to work on that, in time you will have taken care of the bigger problem. I have a friend who has known that she and her husband are going to move at the end of June. Every weekend for the last few months she has put off packing "ALL OF THE BOXES" that she knows it is going to take. The size of the project is SO overwhelming to her that when last weekend arrived, she still had not started. "How do I get going?" she asked. My answer? "Pack one box. Make THAT your goal". She did pack one box and soon found herself doing 5 more boxes last Saturday. This encouraged her so much that she did the same thing on Sunday....five more boxes. Now she has one room all done and has started on the kitchen. She is well on the way to making this move happen. The small goal of one box was something manageable. It was attainable. It also was something that when completed, led to being able to handle more because of the encouragement it gave. What is the problem facing you today? Big or small, it will be helped by taking care of "one box". What is the one box in that problem that you can start working on today? Focus on that today......and nothing more. Don't worry about anything more than the goal of being able to put your head on your pillow tonight having accomplished one box being done. Have a great day. Run well, my friend. Maybe today a safe enjoyable run is your box. Joey
      Vista

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

MrsRoy is so lucky to have you to encourage her Roy! I have to go find the Wimbledon story . . . . Vista - you are so right. Just one box at a time! Thank you. The more I think about that animal I saw yesterday, I think maybe it was a deer and I just imagined it had a long tail. I dunno! Wink Today I saw 4 or 5 deer and a few bunnies. One of which stayed right in the middle of the road until we got close enough for Brinkley to practically pounce on it! 4 miles - 9:41 avg. pace - 164 avg. hr. 65 degrees and very humid - I'm surprised my HR wasn't even higher. Today the first puppy goes to his new home - little Bernie. Sad One less puppy to clean up after though! Letting him go will be my box for today. Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

One box at a time, one mile at a time ... 5 recovery paced miles at 10 minute/mile pace. Avg. HR 129, highest HR 142. Super H&H at 81 and 87%. Acclimated bigtime by now. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

DickyG

OK, OK...I'm listening! No running today...a little work and maximum veg. Spareribs: You need to come home ASAP...Pirates got killed last night. Holly: Very familiar with hamstring injuries...in fact, I should be an expert on all types of injuries. If you have some swelling & bruising, might be hamstring. If it's minor, the R.I.C.E. treatment plus stretching plus a couple rest days should help. Wildchild: Altitude? Absolutely! My buddy who lives in Santa Fe claims it takes at least a month to start adapting...when I go out west for ski trips, I don't even bother to bring my running gear anymore. Tresadfp: I think your mile at the indoor track is a great recovery, especially since you only did .3 the other day. I'm also assuming that the track is far less than 1/4 mile which means you were doing almost continuous turning and really testing the ankle. Dromedary: That was hilarious! Reminds me of the City Slickers movie where Billy Crystal rides up to Jack Palance and says "Don't mess with us, pal...we're from New York." Vista: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise...look what I found! Check out attached pix. Many, many thanks for all the support & advice regarding my groin injury. I figure maybe 5 more runs before Peachtree on 7/4...after that, only easy runs on the track or level courses for at least another month. I'm not playing tennis for at least 2 more months and last week 20 minutes on the practive tee convinced me to withdraw from 2 scheduled golf tournaments. My family doctor & the orthopedic guy both live on my street and at least one of them is coming over the house to pester me every evening. I really am taking it easy.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hopeful... I would think there should be a species of deer that don't run with their bright white tails waving. They usually go un noticed until they run and that flag pops up. 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory at 9:25 pace AHR 142. Whisper quiet feet today.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today – light x-training instead: lateral raises, bench dips, hammer curls, superman lifts, butterflies, push-ups, and a 20-minute excruciating ab/core video DickyG – no bruising, and no swelling that I can tell (although I’m not sure I could detect swelling in my thigh anyway). Hope that’s a good sign, because it still hurts like the dickens. Thanks so much for all the kind words and good advice, here and on the other thread. It's wonderful to be able to draw from the well of wisdom nd experience here at RA. My boss is out of town today and tomorrow, so I'm taking the kids to work for a couple of hours and then bringing some files home to work on this afternoon. If the weather is good, we'll sneak out to the pool for an hour or two. A good day. Smile Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all Smile Thanks for the start off Roy...nice run too. Your also one of the many fine men that posts here, with a caring attitude about your fellow RA friends. I was going to say something about all the problems and injuries our great brother and sisters are going through here, but Joey pretty much summed it up better than I ever good....your a great guy with a big compassionate heart and great words of wisdom. Good run Mary....just love your pics of your puppies, they are so adorable. Yeah, humidity back with vengeance here. I had my mid-week long run last night with 6 - 1/2 mile repeats in the middle. Man, it was hot when I started...91 degrees, sunny, and very humid and sticky out Shocked 12.2 miles in 1:44:45 - 8:35 ave pace (which I was very happy with) 1/2 miles repeats with a goal of 7:15 each - that's where Ribs has me at for now, though they seem too easy right now) 1 - 6:55 - oops 2 - 7:10 3 - 7:10 4 - 7:14 5 - 7:13 6 - 7:12 This was my first time using my Garmin lap feature for repeats, which helped tremendously to help me keep the desired pace. Again, I felt this workout to be fairly easy, but Ribs does not want me trashed, but rather when done feeling like I could do more. I couldn't help but to think about Erika and her plight, with her feeling so over whelmed right now. When I run, I think about the the daily thread, and when in my mind I thought about what she posted, I have to admit a few tears running down my face and I felt very emotional....I looked at my Garmin at this time and I was at mile 2.59 and stopped and thought about this for a few minutes. I thought wouldn't be great if we all here could go help her get things back in order, then all go out for a nice run together and Dinner. You see, I am a hands on person that likes to be proactive with helping people...not only just say "I will be thinking about you" If I know someone who needs food, I am going to buy them food...not just say "I will be thinking about you. If I knew someone who was going to lose their house because of not having the money for the house payment, I am going to do all I can do to help pay that payment...not just say " I will be thinking about you. That's why when I hear a post like Erika's, I feel somewhat frustrated because there is not a lot I / we can actually do for her and her family but be supportive and maybe give some advice or suggestions. Hope life gets back to normal for her soon....and wish there were something we all could do to help....Erika, you have many great caring friends here at RA Smile Hope all have a great day of running, or what ever life brings your way today Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Dave59

4 humid miles this morning (easy and no "watch"). Temperature was only 65° so the humidity was no problem. It was one of those runs where you finish up soaking wet and feeling good. dickyg. Cool stuff. Wish I had some from my earlier days. Hopeful. It seems like it would be hard to give up those puppies but then you also mentioned the cleanup so maybe not! Vista. Your words of wisdom are something I have to remind myself of all the time. Sometimes when I am faced with a very tough project and can't seem to get started I'll tell myself to just work for 2 hours and then I can take a break and reward myself with something. Usually the 2 hours will turn into much more once I have the momentum going. The "good" for a change: - Annabelle is 3 months old today and doing good. My daughter is doing a great job as a mother and I have been able to string together a pretty good streak of nights where I sleep like the old days (pre-baby). - Today should be the last day of basement repairs. (We had a leaky pipe a few months ago and had to cut through the drywall to find and fix it.) - Cindy (my wife) is working from home today so she can help with the baby and let me get a full day of uninterrupted work done for a change. - I feel significantly better after yesterday's massage. My back is still sore but much of the "ache" is gone. (I hate to call it pain.) And my hips feel unbelievably better. When I stood up out of bed this morning I felt like I was 30 years old again. Big grin No limping into the bathroom. I go back for another massage next Wednesday. (That's more than enough for one day, eh?)

King of PhotoShop

Yes Dickyg, but the TX Rangers beat the Astros, so all is well. Strange run this morning. I headed north along the Lewis & Clark trail along the Missouri, got to 3 miles and turned back for a six miler. Then I noticed something strange. Instead of getting lighter out, it was getting darker, and by now it was six a.m. So I looked behind me and said, "Uh oh!" Coming down the river valley was a huge purple and black mass of clouds, and all of sudden the wind began to swirl in different directions. I certainly had no intention when I went out today to do any speed work, but you should have seen my final two miles. I still had to go up and over the bridge to get to my hotel and I flew over it. So I am entering this run as "3 slow, 3 scared ****less". I just made it under the portico of the hotel when the storm hit and it's pouring out now. I'll be home tonight. Spareribs

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, 10.14 miles of hills @ 9:00 pace follow by 15 minutes of swimming...great morning to run but temps are headed back into the 90's today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

..dickyg//.......very cool............I was gonna run the Peachtree in 1976, but there were gonna be 400-500 people there and I didn't want to ''Fight the Crowd''.... .....go figure..... =========== ..nice running guys...... .......45min streetrun.........mid 80's........kind of a Warm Blanket of Hot Air, no wind....... .....couple of dogs barked at me, but it just wasn't worth the effort to make it out to the street apparently....... .............good running guys..............enjoy the day......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Good morning all. Woke up early with the rather loud bird noises, but my DD had her last final exam early so it ws useful to get up. I had tentatively planned a tempo session but there really wasn't time and the last two days were run/swim combos. Instead I ran 6.5 at a brisk ( for me) pace. I did not time precisely but I believe it was under 8 mm. Not a bad substitute for a tempo interval session. I may do a Spin class or light elliptical session at lunch. I am impressed by the mileage some folks get in. Last day of school ( finally) for my kiddos today.
                              5 easy miles...7:59 pace Ribs...Is that a Tornado Tempo Run ???
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Recovery run for me today. 4 miles in 41:05 10:17 min/mile pace. Besides getting me to slow down and run less miles some days, these recovery runs allow me to run with some of my running partners who run slower than I do. Today I ran part of the way with a guy who helped me get back into runnning. He used to be alot faster than I was but age (he is now 79) and injuries have slowed him down alot. It was really fun running with him today. Up until about a year ago when he injured his hip while running he was still doing 7:30 min/mile pace in 5k races! He hopes to be able to do the 4th of July 5k that I am running in. I have friends coming to visit from San Diego today, so I better get going. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano