Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 8.28.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (16 miles marathon prep in warm-hot temps)
    Holly (19.3 miles)
    Tramps (55 bike miles with mystery navigator error)
    Mike (5.4 miles)
    Spacityrunner (5 miles in wicked H)

Fatozzig (2 slow morning miles)

Evanflein (9.1 afternoon miles with a sprinkle)

A great surprise to hear from Twocat! Get well, and let us know your favorite Ensure flavor. We also use our food processor sporadically, but I love good, fresh gazpacho, so maybe I’ll have to pull it out again.

Congrats on the good long run, RunnerKSA. Sorry about the kid crisis - I hope it works out OK.

Great job on the falafels, Holly. Too bad the tahini didn’t work out, but it sounds like you’d a good alternative. Nice long run for you too, even if it was a mile short of your goal.

Nice mid-ride treat, Tramps. Funny thoughts about Holly’s DD’s behavior issues.

You could do worse than an afternoon at the pool with the kids, Cat.

Nice score on the bagel, Fatozzig. And welcome home to Shorty, even if it meant giving up your walk.

Hard recovery run after your racing//busy Saturday, Evanflein. Sorry about the passing of your BFF's aunt, but I'm glad it gives you reason to get together.

Does anyone know how Deeze did in her tri? And where is everyone else??

DW and I got some good yard work done yesterday, including emptying and starting to pull down a small wood shed that we want to replace with a larger storage shed. 3 trips to the transfer station to get rid of stuff, and we’re not done yet. Somewhere along the way I lost my glasses. Fortunately, I have an older pair with a prescription that isn’t too far gone, so I can still use them till I find/replace the lost pair.

I didn't get a good night's sleep last night, and my legs were still a little achy from yesterday, so good reasons to take my SRD.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  I'll share more on the kid when I can.

There were a couple of raindrops out there this morning so I bailed to the treadmill.  Morning news isn't too thrilling, but I continue to be horrified at the situation in Houston.  I don't know how a city recovers from that.  Our 2010 flood here in Nashville was similar- but on a somewhat smaller scale, and it is just horrible to see this.

3.1 miles to start the week.  2 miles on the treadmill after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.

18 miler this morning, picking up the pace a bit.

Starting to be dark at my usual morning hour. I'll have to be adjusting soon.  I can run in the dark but don't feel comfortable cycling then.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Quick post for a Monday.

No run for me today, but about 40 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Good Monday Morning all!

skimmed through the last 3 days of dailies and so much to comment on but of course I wasn't taking notes and now won't remember everything.

I love falafel and a good tahini sauce. I've never tried making it though. I doubt my guys would like it, but maybe I'll try it just to see. and not tell them what it is. 

Twocat - I hope your recovery goes well and you find something a bit more palatable to slurp on . 

Leslie - no smoke down your way?  we are stuck in smoke here and will be for days. We are in the very unhealthy range at the moment and with off and on hundreds expected for the next week, it's not likely to get a whole lot better. Pretty much makes the end of summer suck and wishing for the rainy season to start early. I'm trying not to complain because I know people elsewhere have it much worse and are actually dealing with fire destruction right in their immediate areas. I'm ready to escape someplace for a few days to breath fresh air but hard to find some place that will also accept 3 dogs. lots of hotels have 2 dog limits. 

looks like this week will be a week full of treadmill running.

Tammy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Glorious weather: cooler and with some light high clouds blocking the sun made for a definite not sucky run.

Stretched my lunch run out to a full 6 miles.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I only realized today that I could make coastwalker's roundup! I did 4 walking laps around the recovery wing!

In other news, I am out of the hospital! I go back Wednesday to have a bolster removed from my tongue. It is a clamp of sorts to hold down what amounts to a protein bandage on my tongue, until the thing will stay put all by itself.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Yay!  I'm glad you are home.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Nice racing, Erika and thanks for the stuffed zucchini recipe. It sounds quite similar to what we would put in a stuffed pepper.

Ran 4 miles yesterday on the usual venue. It was a 6-mile route, but I caught up with a group of walking friends at the one-mile mark and walked with them for 2 miles before turning around and running back.

No running today, mainly due to being worn out. Not from running or cycling, but because we just had three social events in the space of five days, and for an introvert this is just plain exhausting! I feel like going into forced isolation for a few days.

But now we can start putting together our stuff to pack for a trip to New Mexico in a couple weeks. Should be a lot of fun, as it always is when we are off traveling together!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...what an Ordeal twocat//......glad you're out on parole.....

============

cool-ish and rainy here

4x10= 40 min

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BTY

Twocat, you're tough.

Early morning at the gym with my daughter today, as this is her first day of the semester at her community college.  Our MWF schoolyear routine is off to the gym early, commute together to my building downtown afterward where she hops a bus (free with her student ID) to school, then she returns to my building at the end of the day and we commute home together.  She is transitioning from Liberal Arts through Independent Studies (now) to hopefully nursing (by either next semester or next fall).  Best part is she can get her nursing degree right at the CC in just about 4 years so she can be an RN specializing in Pediatric Nursing.  At least that is what we are being told so far.  The cost is so much lower than 4 years at any of the other local options.

I had to adjust my strength workout routine a bit because I've been working out at one gym all summer, and the one we work out together at has different machines and I tend to stay away from the free weights, so there is a good amount of guesswork when moving from, say, pulldowns at one place, to pulldowns at the other.  I tried to guess at a weight that I can get 15 reps at, whereas I usually shoot for 8 to 10.  Did a pretty good job at guesstimating.

My run at lunchtime was a 2.5 mile tempo run along the Hudson River.  I was shooting, somewhat optimistically, at a 7:45 - 7:50 pace.  I was very happy to succeed with 2.5 miles in 19:29 - average pace 7:48.   Next week I'll shoot for 3 miles at that same pace.  I'll have to remember to pack a midday snack, especially since I didn't eat anything today after 5:45.  I should have had more than just an OJ after the gym workout.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. Smile  I used my aunt's electric lawn mower to mow our +/- 1/3 acre lawn.  It's set up to be a mulcher and I'm impressed at how well the little-motor-that-could can mulch the grass clippings, compared to my much larger and more powerful Husque-Varna walk behind.  The big one leaves windrows everywhere, even though it has a proper mulching blade on it.  The little one left none, so even though it has a smaller cutting width and I had to make more passes, it took about the same amount of time and was easier.  I always wind up bagging the grass when I use the big one, and that is a pain right in the neck.  Start stop start stop start bah!

My sweetheart built a beautiful fire in our fire pit in the back yard last night and we wound up having a nice talk with DS#2 who is usually the Quiet Man.  He is moving out into an apartment with a friend in about a week so he opened up about some of his concerns.  Nice!  I wound up staying out there another hour and a half after everyone went inside at 9:30.  11:00 - way past my bedtime!

I also picked up an old fashioned reel mower along the side of the road yesterday afternoon.  It works but needs some TLC to get it cutting properly.  I was just telling my daughter late last week how I'd really like to get one of those because they give a good workout, and there it was!

Good running all!

I tried to look up "tongue bolster."  Didn't find it, but it doesn't sound like much fun.  

Every time I read or here the word "gazpacho," I can't help but think of a former employer (years ago) who practically spit when he pronounced the "P." It's not a pleasant memory, so not sure it's something I could try, based on that alone.

Tammy- It got a little hazy here yesterday afternoon, but the winds must be favoring us right now.  Today it's absolutely stunning out.

We watched the news regarding all the flooding in Houston, etc., and I kept telling The Hub, "I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't believe what I'm seeing."  It's just unbelievable, and there's more raining coming?!?  Kinda puts things in perspective.

The Hub came home with a box of Lidocaine patches that his stepdad didn't use prior to his death a few months ago.  I cut a piece off and stuck it to my butt overnight.  Oral anti-inflammatories aren't doing squat, but maybe this will help.  Tomorrow I see my MAT therapist.  If he can't help me, it'll probably be back to the ortho.

Okay, that's it.  Have a great week, friends ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Head Procrastinator

flyby to send healing wishes to twocat.

Maybe some really special bourbon would heal that up quicker 

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

hally when I come out the other side of this I plan to open one of them up!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I was supposed to do 3 x 1600's today for my speed workout but the team was doing a fartlek workout so I just did their workout with them and added some at the end to get a total of 7 miles.  I worked hard so I guess I'll call it good enough.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!