Masters Running

Sunday's Daily 12-15-13 (Read 30 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  Good morning!  Where is everybody?  I've been sitting at the airport waiting for somebody to start this thing...I already wrote my race report...now I need some company.

King of PhotoShop

Congrats to you Mike on a fine race, and also to twocat. Great racing.

Welcome home to hen and marj.

Bizarre happening here. Woke in the middle of the night from a strange dream. I had hit someone with a shovel and as I don't do that sort of thing it woke me up. I lay there thinking why I would have such a strange dream when I realized all this week I had had these unusual dreams. Since I seldom dream, I puzzled over it until it occurred to me that early in the week the cardiologist had given me a new medication to try, in order to lower my LDL.

So I jumped out of bed and entered the name of the meds and the word "dreaming" and holy cow, I got about dozen hits on patients experiencing weird dreams, so watch out if they prescribe Zetia for you.  Can't wait to go to bed tonight to see what movie will play.

13 fairly slow miles at the Lake today.  Spareribs

C-R

Nice race Mike. 3 hour marathon is pretty darn good. Good luck getting home. And remember that the ice on the wings is not really that big of a deal. 

I hope you don't hit anyone with a shovel in tonight's matinee Ribs.

I got 13.1 today which made for my first 70 mile week in a long time. All on the treadmill so I could be close at hand. It was pretty therapeutic for me though. Recovery continues to go very well.

Hanging some curtains today. Yipee.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey, wild--how did the 50k+ go?

Fantastic marathon Mike!

6 snowy and hilly club miles this morning 25F in light snow

Yesterday 8.76 in the snowstorm about 1.5 inches fell during the 90 minute run. 7 inch total followed by a little freezing rain then falling temps last night made it a very crunchy run this morning.

Stay warm...

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wildchild

Carolyn

I started to post about my 50k run in this thread, but since I had a bunch of pictures, I posted a separate RR.

Congrats, Mike, on an excellent marathon with Ryan!

How did Twocat do at his marathon yesterday?

I'm planning to take the dogs for an easy jog today - I'm a bit sore from yesterday, but in pretty good condition considering I also went to my company holiday party after the run yesterday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I got 13.1 today which made for my first 70 mile week in a long time. All on the treadmill so I could be close at hand. It was pretty therapeutic for me though. Recovery continues to go very well.

Good to hear your DW is recovering well, and nice therapeutic miles for you.

Mike - safe travels home to you and Ryan, and a huge WELL DONE to both of you!

Sarge - nice to see you.

Wildchild - I was just going to ask about your race but see that you posted a report, so I will visit there.

I meant to post earlier but I woke up with this headache - almost felt like someone hit me with a shovel in my sleep....

Mid 20's and very windy for my run this morning.  The bike trails are far to icy to run on, as are most of the sidewalks, so I ran in the middle of the sidestreets, doing 10 miles outside before wimping out and coming inside to the TM to finish watching The Way Way Back.

17 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Howdy Do, Folks -

Some great racing this weekend! Am looking forward to reading the race reports.

Ribs + Dreams + Shovels - - I'm staying waaaay over here on the West Coast for awhile.

Still motoring along, although I'm feeling rather sluggish after 3 Christmas parties 3 days in a row.  Last night's was the best as it was at a friend and her husband's house with their Christian motorcycle group.  Very low key and really great people.  I've been wanting Shorty to get to know Sheryl and Dan because they are a wonderful couple who I'd like to spend more time with, not to mention she is quite possibly the best baker I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.  Her scones are out of this world!  We ended up being the last ones to leave, which provided the chance for just the four of us to sit and chat.  It was really nice, and my normally anti-social hubby seemed to have fun, too.

Slowly building my base miles and watching the tendinitis.  Tried to work my way into my orthos, but they cause too much trouble.  I might try for a generic off the rack pair and see what happens with them.  'Til then, I'm doing a lot of taping.

Okay - Gotta get some transcription done.  Although I'm not in here much right now, I think of you guys and gals all the time. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wow - short daily today ... trying to catch up but so far behind!!

Nice races for Matt and Mike E from what I can tell so far!!

Yesterday - 10.1 miles in 12 degrees -- my only real complaint was my fingers, need to invest in better winter running gloves/mittens - oh and my water bottles froze on the run!!  Went to a baby shower in Plymouth then a work Christmas Party in Boston - busy day!!

Today 5.3 miles in the afternoon once most of the plows were off the road.  I heard someone coming up behind me at one point and we started talking for a few tenths of a mile -- think we have crossed paths before as I remember him running with a few buddies and they told me he ran just under a 3 hour Boston!!  Seems we are both training again but at obviously different paces!!

Happy trails my friends!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  You guys are not going to believe this!  Not one single airplane I flew in this weekend crashed!  I know...I can't believe it, either.

Thanks for for all the laughs, by the way...you guys are great!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A little late in the day, but it's been busy here.  Great racing for Mike and Ryan, Wild, and TC.  Probably a few others, too that I missed.

We had a little bit of snow overnight--about 6-8" of nice fluffy stuff, and then rain on top of it.  Made for a nice crusty surface.  Even as my DW was calling me crazy, I headed out about 8:30 this morning after it had stopped, but before a lot of plowing had finished.  First snow run of the year and the yaktracs were very helpful.  I had hoped to make at least 9 miles today, but after the first lap, it was a LOT harder than I thought it might be.  I added an out and back along a better cleared section for a whopping 5 miles.

Mike--for the next time you fly, I've found that the Chinese/Japanese type places in the food court give you the best volume for the cost.  Some of it actually tastes not too bad.  better than hotdogs, anyway.

oh, as I add a smily, I notice that the toolbar has changed and the symbols have gone away.  Is this happening to everyone?  just wondering.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Glad Mike made it back safe and sound. I'd be more worried about that hot dog than the planes, actually....

Interesting side effects, Ribs. You could have some fun with that one, but not if they keep waking you up.

Holly, we're at 3 hours and 47 minutes of "daylight" now, that's from sunrise to sunset. We have really long twilights though, so it gets light mid-morning and stays light well into the afternoon. We have some amazing sunrises and sunsets this time of year. Our shortest day is next weekend, with just under 3 hours from sunup to sundown, then we start gradually increasing daylight. I think it's around Valentine's Day that it's actually light when we get off work.

That's an impressive week of treadmill running, C-R. Good thing you're able to stay close by and still get impressive miles racked up. Good to hear DW is recovering well.

I've been on the treadmill this week, but nowhere near the miles Norm has run. When I missed the first three days of the week, I figured this would be a low mileage week anyway so no sense trying to make up for anything. As long as I'm on the treadmill, I've been trying to mix up the runs and make them at least somewhat interesting. Thursday was a progressive pace run, Friday was intervals, yesterday was a hard hill workout (never done it quite that way and wow, quite the workout!), and today was another progressive pace run, but only 5.5 miles. So that came up to 24 for the week.

Now is the time I always like to look back at my year, and compare to other years. I'd forgotten that I ran over 2,400 miles in 2011, my most ever. Then last year I only had 1,900 because of some nagging tendinitis issues. 2006 was my worst year with shin splints and a sprained ankle. This year is already over 2,100 miles, but I don't think I'll hit 2,200 but you never know. The good thing is I've been injury free for quite some time now so I don't mind taking it easy when it's cold and dark out this time of year (could get to -28° tonight).

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, since Erika mentioned year-to-date totals, I looked at the 2000 mile group summary, and I see that Holly passed the 2000 mile mark today!  Congrats!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

A quiet day around here!

Spareribs, it is good to know that is causing  your bad dreams.

C_R, what a great news about your DW's post surgery recovery. Please keep us posted. I too find running on the TM not that bad. Specially when I can watch the news or watch pre-recorded programs.

C-R and Spareribs inspired me to go out for a 13 miler this afternoon. I left the house later than I wanted this afternoon because we had the chance to skype with our son David in Macedonia. He is doing very well and he seems to be adapting Ok with the cultural norms in the business world and in daily life.

My great run was followed by a great dinner cooked for us by our son Daniel who is home from college for Winter break. After dinner my DH and I walked to the movie to see The Hobbit. A fun way to end a great weekend.

This year my goal was not miles, but to actually to spend more time XT and get some more lean muscles, which I achieved at the expense of reaching the 2000 mile mark, ohhh and I did that little hike around Mt. Rainier too which took away 2 weeks of no running. I feel fit and strong and that is what matters.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

The good thing is I've been injury free for quite some time now so I don't mind taking it easy when it's cold and dark out this time of year (could get to -28° tonight).

I agree!

Mariposai - That does sound like a great weekend.  Glad to hear your DS is doing well in Macedonia, and that you are able to Skype with him.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."