Masters Running

The day after the day after Earth Day daily - 4.24. 13 (Read 52 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Doing a tour of a couple of plants a couple hours south of home.  A little different to not have to get on a plane for work.  But now I've realized that I DROVE here and did not have to pack as light as I did.  The weather has turned out much nicer than predicted and I would really like something other than my work boots and shirt to wear out to dinner.  Live and learn.  But since I'm on Cape Cod, I think there may be some seafood in the offing.

9 miles this morning before I hopped in my car and joined 2/3 of the population of Boston on the road south.  Bleh. ( The run was not the Bleh part)  Three laps around the lake seems like it takes forever, but easier than trying to figure out a route that early in the morning.

Thank you all for the feedback on training.  I've gone back and changed things around a little--aiming towards a 2 week taper and a little longer rebuild after the first 20.  I was leaning that way anyway and I think the reasoning applied worked for me.  Very little in the way of speedwork other than the random race or sprooinky run, so not as tough to recover.  I also took the Higdon novice as a model and not a hard list.  He had the three shorter runs on consectutive days, but my body just doesn't seem to like that a whole lot.  I like the day off after the mid-long run.  I'll let you in on a secret--I will be thrilled if I can finish at a 10 minute pace.  And yes, Tet, I intend to have fun while doing it.  It should be beautiful scenery and I don't want to waste it. Smile

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

aka FlyingFinn

Beautiful family photo, MikeE.

Wild, she isn't crawling yet. She can drag herself across a room on a smooth floor but she hasn't learned to use her knees for crawling.

Tammy, congrats to David! He's quite the competitor.

I inverted my ankle while doing a fleche at fencing Monday night. That should teach me to stick with the drill. There's a little swelling and bruising, weirdly on top of the foot and not in the ankle. Walking is ok. I'm still going to fencing tonight and will see how it goes. I didn't run again today because the weather was horrible, pouring buckets and windy  I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it one more day.

Marj and Henry, have a blast!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Not much to report today - am resting after a nice little bundle of hill repeats in a park I just found yesterday.

It's nice to find new parks.

SteveP

is there still time to mention leslie and shorty.

however, I'm sure it's more than AA and starts with an "L.".

What at fantastic DW you are

True enough.

Snork TW. While working in KY, I learned how to use the word "are" twice in the same sentence. "We should get 'er done bout a are...a are ana half"

No complaints about the snow here...The mosquitoes are not bad.When I got home, I sliced and mashed a quart of strawberries. Then mixed some herbs, a touch of red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese and bread crumbs together. Coated chicken breasts then through them in the over while Tag and I went run run run for an hour. On the return trip, I took my jacket off, then tied it around my shoulders as to avoid a fine. For an entire half an hour I went "Na na na na...Na na na na na "BATMAN! Batman!" so people would not think I'm weird. Running ain't easy. When we got home, I made shortcake biscuits cut the sugar and added instant vanilla pudding to the mix. mmm

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

First of all...Saturday in Looavul...55o for a low and 69o for a high...a 30% chance of rain...and a SE 7mph wind...I know you were all wondering...

My x-wife is from Kentucky...the hills of Kentucky.  After a trip down to visit her parents, for the first time, I went to find the Greyhound schedule to get up to Louisville to catch a train to get back to North Dakota, where we were living.  When I went to make the call her mom said, "Ask when the bus leaves for Looavul."  "What?!"  My wife laughed at me and said, "Just say, Looavul."  So, I said, "When does the bus leave for Looavul?"  And...they told me when the bus left for Looavul...

Tammy--that is really cool about the people in the bleachers talking about David.  It reminds me of when Ryan was a Senior and I was sitting in the bleachers at an away track meet.  It was about time for his race to begin and Ryan came bounding across the field.  There were a couple parents from another school sitting behind me and they started talking about him...talking about how fast he was and stuff.  Then, one of them said, "And he's such a nice boy."  I barely saw the start of the race because of the tears in my eyes.  Anyway...I have a feeling you might want to start bringing Kleenexes to David's meets.

Let's see...what else...oh--hey--don't forget about wild running another 50k, this weekend!

Speaking of wild...I was thinking, today, how this week leading up to my marathon has been nothing like the week leading up to my last marathon.  Now, that was a nice week.

I went 2 miles in 14:17, tonight.  I'm not sure if I'm going to run again, tomorrow, or wait until Friday.  I just don't think I've ever run the day before a marathon.  I'm leaving right from work, tomorrow, and driving a few hours, though, and I don't know if it will be too late, or where I'll be.  We'll see.

Okay--I guess I'd better go...I have to get packed.

SteveP

Can someone help caption this picture?

SteveP

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner, what ultra are you training for?

I'm running the 12-hour race at the Fall NC 24 in Cleveland. It will be my first ultra, so I'm excited, a bit nervous, and expecting to have a lot of fun because I'll be meeting up with a couple dozen friends from RW, many of whom are now here on RA.

Weather's crazy! Cancelling track meets across the country in late April? That's got to be unusual unless you're in the mountains. As a kid I remember shoveling snow off the track so we could run.

I like the paper bag miles. I think most of mine can be described that way.

I supposed I should add I ran a 7.9 mile progression run today and got my first blister in years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

evanflein

No caption ideas, SteveP, but makes me feel a little better to see those snow piles.

Was treated to a couple inches of new wet heavy snow this morning. Lovely. I'm not as mature about this crap as Wildchild is, so I'm gonna complain. Call me a whiny weenie, but I'm so sick of winter (snow, ice, wind, cold....) I could scream. I wanted to cry this morning. And our high may only reach 30° tomorrow. And our long range forecast has temps in the mid to upper 30's into the first week of May. What kind of crap is this? Like I said, it makes me feel a little better that others are in the same boat. But man this pisses me off. Grrr. Angry

5.2 grumpy, tired-legged miles on the treadmill tonight. Even my Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me podcast was a re-run.

Mariposai

No caption ideas, SteveP, but makes me feel a little better to see those snow piles.

Was treated to a couple inches of new wet heavy snow this morning. Lovely. I'm not as mature about this crap as Wildchild is, so I'm gonna complain. Call me a whiny weenie, but I'm so sick of winter (snow, ice, wind, cold....) I could scream. I wanted to cry this morning. And our high may only reach 30° tomorrow. And our long range forecast has temps in the mid to upper 30's into the first week of May. What kind of crap is this? Like I said, it makes me feel a little better that others are in the same boat. But man this pisses me off. Grrr. Angry

5.2 grumpy, tired-legged miles on the treadmill tonight. Even my Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me podcast was a re-run.

Well, this tops my complain about how expensive race registration is anymore.

Wow...I tried to register for a low key marathon in the area and they are asking me about 130 dollars for one entry....thank you ACTIVE registration form.

Maybe I will start a marathon in my majestic area where the fee is just donation to feed the hungry school kids in my area who are going home on the weekend without much to eat until the next Monday when the local schools are providing them a meal (aka, junk food)..

arhhh...

Dead

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Just goes to show how much pets add to our lives.

MTA: Tomwhite - glad you're posting and not lurking. This place is richer when you're posting.

+1 to both of these.

Twocat - I'll look for that place. Sounds more like a post-race than a pre-race suggestion, though.  Big grin

Tammy - very cool.

7 miles for me on Wednesday with 2 at tempo (8:00, 8:24).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Can someone help caption this picture?

I ain't no stinkin' dog!  I belong in the FRONT row!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance