Masters Running

Thursday January 7 Master Runs, Workouts, and whatever ... (Read 485 times)

I haven't started a daily in a while.  This seems like as good a day as any to do so!

DG, don't give up on Bayshore just yet.  If they get openings (injuries, etc.) they will reopen registration on March 1 till they fill up again.  Check the front page of the Bayshore website for specifics.

All bundled up like an eskimo this morning, I ran 6.25 miles with 12 x 1 minute at 5K pace, 1 minute recoveries.

I concentrated on not over striding with the right leg. I'm thinking I do a little - I have a very slight hitch in my stride - I never feel exactly equal left leg versus right leg - and I'm thinking that may be causing the slight right hamstring aches I get sometimes.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Maybe one leg is longer than the other Byll??   Thanks for starting us off - I was just about to do it myself.

I seem to have lost my pre-dawn mojo.   I lay my clothes out at night, get up, look outside at the white stuff, wind and in today's case, the freezing rain and go lay down on the couch.   Cuddling with a dog is much more appealing.   Then I get to work, read the posts of all your great runs and start regretting laying on the couch.    Blah!

I'll work extra hard at tone zone tonight and possibly get on the treadmill after that.    Not likely though .... I know myself too well.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

Well Mary, I've been struggling too.  Got up at o'dark thirty and went out with Renee.  Goal was 10 mi.  We did 3, came back and thawed out for 20 min.  Then went out and did another 5.  So, we're at 8 so far today.  The last two I HOPE I'll get outside for, but my TM is looking mighty sexy to me suddenly.

OK, gotta scoot. Today's my favorite day of the month: art class for the kids at the Noyes Museum a little bit above Atlantic City.  It's a good hour drive, so we need to get going!  Have a great one everybody!!!

Shout out of the day:

Eliz, yes, do the OD 10 Miler.  Even though the weather almost always stinks, it is a really fun race!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Tramps

I like Holly’s approach to life: when the going gets tough, the tough…have a glass of wine and a bubble bath.    Smart woman.

Walt--“Resolutionaries;”  I like that. 

Mary—Yup, cold dark mornings are a challenge.  Don’t think; run!  If I stop to ask, “Do I really want to do this?”  I’m doomed.

I did an experiment today.  I normally never train at anything approaching 5K pace, which doesn’t leave me particularly well prepared for shorter races.  Since I have a couple of those coming up, I tried to do some mile repeats near 5K pace—around 7:00.  I picked a less hilly stretch of my road and did 6x1 with untimed quarter mile intervals.  The intervals turned into walking breaks as this workout kicked my butt.  Still, if nothing else, I feel like it was useful in getting me more accustmoed to running well out of my comfort zone. 

Stay warm!

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

I've wimped out at running outside during the week.  Today I went 10 miles on the TM while watching Halle Barry as Catwoman.  You know it's a classic movie when the director only has one name.

8.2 miles last evening on a paved multi-purpose trail 23F mostly snow covered.  It is really nice with the snow so it's not too dark.  Will hit treadmill late this afternoon, another snowstorm on the way. 

Bill I too have the hitch in my gitty-up.  I'm not sure if it isthe cause or effect of my right foot & hip problemsbut I have always assumed it was the effect.

Pre-dawn mojo?  I don't know how you early birds do it.  I do one late run in the dark during the winter but other than that I avoid running in the dark. 

PDR sorry about the loss of you Dad but thanks for sharing the wonderful  stories. 

Mary it's ok to take a day off sometimes. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Morning gang!

Mary - freezing rain -vs- dog cuddling on the couch - no contest!!  Good choice with no regrets!

nono - never thought about a treadmill being sexy, but you might have a good point there.

Tramps - bless your heart - your advice about the balaclava is priceless.  I used to run in one for cold weather running when I lived in the midwest.  It's supposed to be cold and windy for the Disney races, and I think this is just the ticket.

Jlynne - I'm doing the Goofy (hopefully).  Would love to meet up with you.  We can huddle together for warmth before the races ;-). That's my only complaint about the Disney races - the protracted period of standing around in the staging areas and corrals is awful on those rare occasions when it is cold. 

Nice runs for PBJ, Sarge and nono!

The cold waylaid me yesterday.  I just couldn't get out of bed when DH tried to get me up at the regular time.  Next thing I new it was 11:00 am.  I let Jesse out and proceeded to crash on the couch for the rest of the day.  I feel much better today. I stopped at the health clinic this morning and they suggested I try Mucinex D with a hit of Afrin before the races.   Wish I was feeling better because with the cold weather I think I could have PR'd one or both races, but now my goal is to just finish without crashing and burning.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning

Strides for me today. 3 mi wu; 16x100m strides and 1 mi cd for 6 mi total.

Bill and Sarge: I have the same hitch in my stride. I feel it more in my left glut though. You don't suppose we're just getting old?

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai

Just a quick post. Long day ahead. Off to the office and then to the Hospital down the Valley to cover a 5 hour shift for them.

14F, but it felt like 6F. Clear sky with bright stars and the moon that lit my way.
                    4 miles meandering around the neighborhood trying to find an ice free stretch of road in which I can run my mile repeats. Jasmine St. was it, so it was the witness to my 4x1mile at near HMP. 10 miles total at predawn.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bill and Sarge: I have the same hitch in my stride. I feel it more in my left glut though. You don't suppose we're just getting old?

I thought they called us Masters because we're so perfect!!! 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

dg.

Sue, a cold + the cold, just doesn't seem right.   (((( )))).    I am faxing warm weather down there.    any specific requests?

Bill, & Larry, thanks!  I looked on their site.  I think this is the plan.   I'll sign up for the 10K.  I was debating a little, just because, well, it's a really long drive & all for a 10K, & I have to juggle pet care & all that.   But after thinking about it more this morning, it's just going to be too much fun, so I'm in.  And then if the full opens up, depending on how things are progessing at the point, I"ll switch if possible.      good idea?  

Enke I'm so glad you're back here.  I had to smile at your logic progression yesterday.   It was so familiar.   Did you resist? 

Jeanne thank you so much for the invitation!!!   I am so tempted, for a lot of reasons.   I still have it in the back of my mind.   The 2 biggest problems are that it's 7 hrs. away, & even closer to my March marathon than Bayshore is.   I wonder how soon I could recover & be ready for another one.    Are you really thinking about doing it? 

Woods Lady, cool you found a new running route.  What's it like?

Mary, you're doing a lot better than I am about getting out there!    i used to do what you said, Tramps... not even question it.    At least I did that when I was walking.   Running, I am not handling the really slippery stuff too well this year.   Although that mindset helps on the 5am trips to the gym.  I feel like a wimp. have to get over this.

I didn't plan on running today, but it was the perfect day to get out there, 25F, 5 mph winds & I thought the pavement would be relatively dry, & it was.  It felt so good to run outside... the last 3 attempts were pretty miserable & I needed this for my head as much as for anything else.  6.22 miles, 9.58 pace.  I did just 3 400 meter chunks at what might be 1/2M or maybe 10K pace... without my polar thing I didn't know.  Am thinking it's time to throw in things like that, would have done more but I don't usually run 3 days in a row & so was being careful.   The best part... I not only had a Daaave sighting but got to run with him for a bit!  It was the cool down-recovery-run in place phase of his run.  Smile   I'm so excited for him about Bayshore. 

have to get to work...

Denise how are you today after your killer yesterday?  & didn't you get almost no sleep the night before?  You are amazing. 

It is below zero here and I am a wimp.

Frank really wants a litterbox.

Hamstrings/glutes are where I'm injury prone.  Never thought of a hitch in my stride. 

Eliz--that OD course is really pretty.

Mari--"predawn" just = dark to me! 

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Are you ready for the next installment in the continuing saga of Holly’s soap opera life?

I arrived home from work yesterday to have DD hand me a note from her school nurse.  Apparently her class had been checked for lice and the nurse had found some nits (eggs) in DD’s hair.  Lice?  LICE?  On MY child?  In MY house?    But that’s something that happens to other people.  People who don’t bathe.  People who live in filthy houses.  Well, apparently that's not true.  Wow – I didn’t even realize I had those deep-seated prejudices about lice.  An eye-opener, for sure.

I was standing there, still in my coat, looking at the clock.  4:19pm.  I had to be at my next job at 5pm.  (Can you say, PANIC ATTACK?  I do not have time for this today!) I grabbed my keys, raced to the nearby grocery store, bought a lice treatment kit, and raced home.  As I threw dinner on the table in a mad rush (crockpot ribs and microwave potatoes), I explained to DH that this was one time that HE was going to have to handle it.  He was not happy. 

At my tax job, all I could think about was lice.  My head crawled and itched at the very thought.  I begged off at 8:00pm, claiming a sick child at home (well, that was almost true), and raced home to wash my hair with lice shampoo.  Of course, there was none left, so I had to go back out to the store again.  (sigh)  DS, DH, and I checked each other’s heads and found no evidence of nits or lice, but used the medicated shampoo anyway.

Let’s just say that this was another night where a glass of wine was needed, after which DD and I drowned our sorrows in a bag of French Onion Sun Chips, watching Glee, and then I spent 45 minutes carefully combing through her long thick hair with the tiny nit comb.  Poor DD kept apologizing. 

Not much time for a workout this morning, as I washed all the bedding and sprayed all the furniture. 

2 miles on the TM, followed by a light core and weights workout.

I really did read all your posts, but have taken up so much time whining that I have no time to comment.  (sigh)  Thank you so much for allowing me to vent. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

I meant to mention... don't think my Sadie is fond of below zero either.   I've forgotten her out there too.  .     She did get a walk after my run today, she loved it & I was cold.

hey Aaamos, I found out last night that she likes brussel sprouts.  :-)      And tofu. 

definitely a gitty-up hitch with hamstring piriformis problems!  I have something saved somewhere... if I can find it I'll post it. 

Nono that sounds like so much fun today.

((((( Holly!!! )))))

Holly!  Dude you have had it rough the last few days!  I sure hope this is the end of the streak for you.

Mariposai I am still a sleeping wreck!  Of course, this all involves lots of hours tossing and turning at night.  Yech!

It is still like a deep freezer here!  All over too looking at the weather maps!  Even Dallas TX and Florida!    I am thinking I need a new avatar.  Maybe --

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/