Masters Running

Sundaily, 4.14.19 (Read 46 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday:

Marj - 4 mizzley miles with tuning-up marathon runners.

Rochrunner - 4.4 mile at 11:30 pace with good final surge.

Henrun - 3 miles in 60° with a drizzle, waving to marathoners.

Tramps - 4 post thunder/heavy rain miles.

Holly - 1.5 hours of weeding cross-training.

Twocat - Run with Rule #1 violation avoidance.

Dave - 1st real racing 5K since Sept: 29:27, 3rd AG, heart still beating.

Deeze - 9.2 miles with 2 Sole Sisters.

Anneb - Passed on the race, and did 8 EZ sunny solo miles.

RunerKSA - 7.2 TM, rain-avoidance miles, making peace with the fan.

Tammy - A couple of miles before leaving for Corvallis.

Anzlo - 7 run/walk miles, continuing to build weekly totals.

Falconfixer - 7.5 neighborhood miles on sore legs.

Dnaff - 3 miles with family visiting.

Mike - 6 miles with Ryan's pooch, then some TM miles with potty stop.

Jlynn - 6 TM miles + 20 min of weights, core, stretching at the Y after grandkids cross-training.

Milktruck - EZ 6.6 afternoon miles in too-warm temps (warmest since last Oct).

Mariposai - Sleeping in, then relaxation and meditation then 6 rain-free miles.

Surly Bill - Comeback 2.5 miles with coughing & wheezing, etc.

Tet - 28.1 Carkeek Park miles, plus 2,000 stairs) in the Cottontail 12-hr Fun Run, + soak/nap.

Evanflein - 4.1 EZ 8PM sunset miles back at home.

BTY - 2,000 mixed stroke pool yards.

Joe - thanks for the great photos of what your workmates did to send you on your way to Boston - great stuff! Glad you and the family are having a great time in Boston, but we missed you all at the Par-tay.

I hope that won't be the last we hear from Ribs.

BTY, intentional or not, the cut back to 2K yards was probably a good thing to avoid overuse injuries. Is the backstroke start an in the pool start, or a dive?

Holly, I'd say you've done enough of that company political nonsense, and having a "conflict" in the coming years is a great solution.

DW and I finally made it into Boston yesterday afternoon to ketchup with folks at the Par-tay: Marj, Henrun, Stumpy, Deeze, Barb, The Pro from Dover, WRFB & his lovely DW, and, of course, host Robin. Everyone looked great, and those running tomorrow were ready and excited. Great meet-up. Robin took a group shot, which I hope will get posted somewhere.

I got out for 8.9 unsatisfying RW miles this morning. Nothing was clicking, my mojo was still in bed and sleeping, and my hammy was nagging a bit now and again. So, even though it felt like it took forever, I was glad to be out on the road, getting some good fresh air, and exploring a bunch if different neighborhoods.

I'll be leaving for my work at the Boston start line in Hopkinton at about 4:30 tomorrow morning, so I don't think I'll be posting then. The good news is that it is beginning to look like the rain might stop by race time.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Marj suggested we run the Charles this morning. So off we went for an early start via the T and saw hundreds of runners on the Charles as the sun came out and the temp hit 60. Today would have been ideal for the marathon but, tomorrow will not Beas wet as had been expected. Marj and I parted ways and went at our own speeds. I saw groups from every country I even encountered Bill Rodgers (Boston Billy), We chatted for a bit. Great morning run and I ended up with 4.5 miles and got home just after Marj did.

BTW, as Jay mentioned, great partays yesterday.

Fleet feet to all marathoners tomorrow.

anneb

Joe- those pictures are awesome. As are your coworkers. (Nice repping the Cubs, also 😊)

Tet- congrats on the ultra distance again!

We have a blizzard going on today. Enough said 😡. I ran 5.5 on the treadmill. Now to continue with some Masters watching…

Anne

We have a blizzard going on today. Enough said 😡. I ran 5.5 on the treadmill. Now to continue with some Masters watching…

Yuck. It's 34° very windy and cloudy here today. Can't remember the last time we had a sunny day here. The only good thing about blizzards in April is the snow doesn't stick around long.

Joe - great pictures of your co-workers artistic talents! Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks for starting us off Jay, and I'm sorry about your niggly hamstring. Dress warm tomorrow, and thanks to you, Deez and the thousands of other volunteers who will brave the weather to help the Boston runners. I have to work but I'll be taping it.

Erika! Nice to see your post!

What? No pictures of Robin's party? Come on people!

Well, "Grandma Cathie" texted me yesterday evening, saying she was feeling under the weather and wanted to know if I could hang out with the boys until their parents got home today. An unexpected rest day as a result, but I took the boys out for breakfast, then bowling. The bad thing is the weather is so carpy here I can't even force them outside to run off some energy. I sure hope their parent's flight arrives on time

Thanks, Jay.    I hope your mojo returns quickly!  I'm sure it will.

Tet- you are THE MAN!  Way to go.  Sounds like yucky conditions.

Jeanne- you will be ready for a good rest!

Busy morning with Palm Sunday church and then entertaining the cats with the palms we brought home.  My daughter's palms for her church didn't arrive in the mail (I guess other churches who ordered from that vendor had issues as well) so she was scrambling yesterday to find some palms.  Someone suggested that if she couldn't come up with any, that her church could follow one of the Biblical accounts and everyone could rip their clothes off as Jesus rode by!   She said that didn't sound like "Safe Church!"  Smile

She found palms at a Catholic bookstore.  Whew.

The weather forecast changed every fifteen minutes, but the completely rainy day for today didn't materialize (although it is very windy), so I got out at about 11 on the path for 5 miles.  73 degrees and I was mostly sheltered from the wind.  Glad I got outside after the longish treadmill thing yesterday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Rest day for me. I'm looking forward to watching Boston tomorrow and hearing about Joe's adventure.

BTY

Is the backstroke start an in the pool start, or a dive? 

It's actually a sort of backdive from the blocks, if you will.  You start in the water, facing the starting block.  Reach up and grab the handles below where you would normally stand if you were starting for the freestyle, breast stroke or butterfly, with your feet on the wall just above the surface of the water.  On the "Set" command, you pull your upper body and head to the block, and on the start, you arch your back and push off, making either a beautiful "rainbow" shaped arc into the water, or a painful looking backflop.    If it's up to me, I will choose the former, but I'm afraid it will be the latter. 

Do you remember those little photo booths they used to have, where you'd cram in and it would take a short series of photos and print them out in a strip? This is one of my DW & DS that I came across while going through my box of memories the other day: It has to be about 30 years old now:

I used to carry one of these in my wallet, and when my pocket was picked in Italy a number of years ago, it was the item that I regretted losing the most: not the credit cards, driver's license, or cash, but the photo that I thought was irreplaceable. Anyway, I must have had another copy of it from the original photo strip, so I scanned it in to make sure I wouldn't lose it again.

My DW and I both remarked that it's one of the few photos we have of him when he looks truly happy.

No running today -- absolutely awful weather out there -- so I went to the gym instead. That was also a failure since I apparently hurt something in my left arm the other day and wasn't able to do much on my usual round of equipment. Oh well, maybe later in the week...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

That's a wonderful picture!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good luck to our Boston Marathon crew tomorrow. As usual tomorrow I will record the race, avoid all running web sites and then watch it while on the elliptical.

roachrunner I can only imagine how thrilled you were to find that picture.

In running news I did my intervals today. I started surprisingly strong. But the last one was a struggle.

<<Rant>>

In non-running news I just finished reading a student report that has a ton of plagiarized material in it. Now I have to decide on what to do. (1) Tell them they have between now and 10:10AM when they need to present their report to the class to find and remove all of the plagiarized material. That will leave them scrambling all night. (2) Tell them they are getting a 0 on the assignment. (3) Report them to honors committee at their school (this is a class taught by video link across universities). What ever I do it will be accompanied by a dressing down in class. We post the better reports on line. I cannot risk posting something that turns out to have plagiarized material in it and then getting sued. The students know this. They are told this repeatedly. How thick headed do you have to be to then go and plagiarize?

<<\Rant>>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Afternoon everyone.

We are having a beautiful spring day here after yesterday's nice rain. I obeyed rule #1 yesterday & stayed inside riding the bike to nowhere for 45 minutes (15.3 miles). In today's beautiful weather... an 11.7 mile run. Total running for the week... 40 miles.

Paul

...How Cool roch.......

==========

78-degrees, 30-40- mph gusts

...65-min RC at soccerfields with hat

..........actually

I'm most proud of the hat not blowing off.....

..........Good Racing in Boston......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Boston Henry/Marj -
                            Your hometown reports
                            are like being there with you.
                            How many have you run?
                            Most memorable? first? etc.

Boston Joe - good luck.
                            Sounds like the weather won’t be so bad
                            after all but, no matter what, the finish’ll
                            be more memorable than the weather.
                            It’s the same for everyone.
                            Have fun.
                            BTY - how’d ya do in 1977?
                            What’s the percentage difference
                            in your race times then and now?
                            I’m now some 1.8 times slower
                            than marathon no. 1 in 1977 too.
                            erika - thanks for the Dallas update.
                            It’s none of our business as there’s many
                            reasons for missing so many of our posting
                            friends over the years but is the “wise one”
                            still running? I thought of his heart
                            with regard to Mick Jagger’s
                            same operation, . . . I think.

ps tramps I’m sure wasn’t the only one who noticed me pretending to worry about the implications of tiring out after a one hour training run might spell disaster for this year’s 12-hour Cottontail Fun Run when you can run as fast or slow as you want and as for many hours as you want to too, even if not the full twelve hours. Funny how the brain adjusts to running just as far, and not a step further, than the distance you’ve paid for.   

Boston Strong - although I associate “Boston Strong” with the city’s strength and coming together in dealing with the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013, a local Seattle runner/writer is garnering lots of local attention with the publication of her “Becoming Boston Strong” account of being strong in her personal obsession to qualify for the Boston Marathon after, like others herein, witnessing the Boston Marathon in person during her younger years in between jobs and moping with nothing to do she vowed to train to do it, and did.  
                            https://seattleite.com/2019/03/26/becoming-boston-strong-a-memoir-by-local-author-amy-noelle-roe/

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Tet, very nicely done yesterday!!   Very impressed...nice job!

Have  had a lovely day in Boston.   Found a great small church in which to worship on Palm Sunday.   Then grabbed some lunch (nooooo shortage of marvelous places to eat here!!!) and rode the Green Line to the end of the B line at Boston College and walked up to the top of Heartbreak Hill.  There, we found about nine people fussing all over a set of three video cameras...I walked over and talked with them and it is a key part of the video footage Adidas is sponsoring and will use to splice video of the race to each runner...for a fee, I presume as no one has said it was free. 

The ride on that line was also a great perspective on the final five miles of the course.   I appreciate knowing what I'll see there. 

It's been terrific to see Boston from a foot-level perspective.   We intentionally have no car and have done walking and public transport.   You get to see so much more and interact with a wide variety of people on the trains.   Really enjoying it.   Runners from all over the world of course, but I also had a long chat with a runner from Boston.   I asked him if local runners have the same sense of the "biggness" of the race as do all of us out-of-towners.   He said they really do and are grateful they can do it with a shorter commute.  This is his eighth running and had some great talks about the course.   All of this "up close and personal" with the city has been a blast for my DW and I.   And we're here all week (tip your waiter...). 

Truly sorry I missed meeting up with so many of you yesterday.   With all the family here, it just didn't work.   But, if I can qualify again.......

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement.   I'm feeling good and looking forward to not talking about Boston any more but actually doing it tomorrow. 

Rock it, folks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, very windy day here in central Alabama.  Storms rolled through near dawn so since there was lightning I delayed starting my run.  So to keep my promise to DW, I didn't violate rule #1.  Later in the morning I got in 8+ at about a 9 minute pace.  Legs still tired.  I didn't help them later....I met the group for the relaxation ride that (thanks Strava) I attacked a long hill on (the wind was mostly behind).  Of course we went back into that wind but that was ok as well.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of my father's passing (1986) of a massive heart attack.  He was 59 1/2.  Bring this up for two reasons:  Tiger winning the Masters today reminds me of our last conversation.  We talked about Jack Nicholas coming out of nowhere to win his last Masters/major.  The year I ran Boston race day was also the anniversary of his passing....of course it is far better known as the year of the bombing.  Less than two years after that we lost DS#1.  No big takeaway here.  You never know what is going to happen.  Try to do the best you can to minimize any possible regrets.

Henrun, I once met Boston Billy.  I happened to be standing behind him at a port-o-john line at the Air Force Marathon.  Great guy.

Have a greta day everyone!